Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria (44283 Views)

5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE / Buhari Set To Launch N20bn Loan For Rice Farmers On Tuesday / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 10:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
ultrazone: Why Nigerian Fish Farmers Fail in Fish Farming.

1. No Market: Bad fish farmers start looking for a market for their fish when the fish are ready for sale. Meanwhile, because they are still feeding, the pond attains its maximum loading and fish stop growing. The longer the fish stay in the pond after they have stopped growing, the smaller the profit margin.

This part does not make any sense unless there is an unprecedented reduction in female species in Nigeria
who by the way, are known to gladly mow down full plates of "Point and Kill" while at the same
time competing with older male species in acquisition of protruding belly.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Zikdik(m): 11:07pm On Mar 21, 2013
Santi222:
very stupid comment. What does Poor technical knowledge and inability to properly manage a business have to do with Nigeria's present status as a State? If you are lazy, will GEJ come to feed your fish for you? What does PDP and CPC have to do with poor pond construction and improper marketing techniques? Dont give stupid excuses. Take advice.
I'm not talking politics,i'm talking about every faction that makes up the entity called NIGERIA.Nothing is working,or at least,nothing is working the way they should normally work.
P.S:You are funny though;Jonathan,CPC..blablabla.WTF is ma biznez wf all those?
....daz all!
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by obstead200(m): 8:27am On Mar 22, 2013
Lemme say something
I do not believe that their is no market for fish farming. Rather I feel what we need is to do indepth research into ways of producing fish dat would be cheaper or at least at par with imported fish, withouT reducing quality.
The same goes for poultry. Have u ever wondered why a kilo of imported chicked sells for just N800 at retail price? Can we produce chicken right now that can sell for same rate per kilo without incurring heavy losses?
The question we should be aasking is "how do the foreign countries do it?" " Can't we do the same?"

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:32am On Mar 22, 2013
@obstead200,let me try to answer yr question,d answer is how much technology do we put into what we do?some ponds are so deep that they forget d fishes will use some of d food it could hav use to grow,as energy in d pond.let me not go far,lets ask ourselves zartech,chi are more reknown?why?because they use improve breeds & tech,in 5-6Wks broilers is ready in zartech,what of north?they say hausa tomato,hausa that,there is nothing of such,they used improve seeds,at least i worked 1Year in (karda)kebbi

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by ireneidiva(f): 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2013
na wa o.You had the strength to type this.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by ChiSun27(m): 8:25am On Mar 23, 2013
@ OP: No 6 is not quite clear 2 me...plz..re-adrex it.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by obstead200(m): 11:48am On Mar 23, 2013
@obstead200,let me try to answer yr question,d answer is how much technology do we put into what we do?some ponds are so deep that they forget d fishes will use some of d food it could hav use to grow,as energy in d pond.let me not go far,lets ask ourselves zartech,chi are more reknown?why?because they use improve breeds & tech,in 5-6Wks broilers is ready in zartech,what of north?they say hausa tomato,hausa that,there is nothing of such,they used improve seeds,at least i worked 1Year in (karda)kebbi

You are missing the point. I don't really care about the technology if it does not achhieve cost reduction and better mkt aacceptability. Can zartech sell it's produce in such a way that retailers can afford to resell at N800 per kilo? that is the question

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:38pm On Mar 23, 2013
obstead200:
You are missing the point. I don't really care about the technology if it does not achhieve cost reduction and better mkt aacceptability. Can zartech sell it's produce in such a way that retailers can afford to resell at N800 per kilo? that is the question
with humility,i missed no point,technology reduces cost of prodn,d initial outlay might look much,but it cheaper at longrun,use aerator in yr fishfarm,u get to market size early even when spending same cost as others
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
with reference to d earlier post,do u say because u produce cheaper,now sell below market rate,No,zartech & more farms get their broilers to market in 5-6Wks,by d grace of God i can do that in 7-8Wks,now will someone getting to market in 10-12Wks compete favorable,d answer is same as above,d foreign countries hav d tech,d knowhow,d genetic improved breeds,lets not bundle ourselves,lets go make research & safe cost.God Bless
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by obstead200(m): 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
with reference to d earlier post,do u say because u produce cheaper,now sell below market rate,No,zartech & more farms get their broilers to market in 5-6Wks,by d grace of God i can do that in 7-8Wks,now will someone getting to market in 10-12Wks compete favorable,d answer is same as above,d foreign countries hav d tech,d knowhow,d genetic improved breeds,lets not bundle ourselves,[b]lets go make research & safe cost.[/b]God Bless
Now u have said what I want to hear; especally wwith reference to making research and saving cost. U see, I hv great interest in going into poultry and fishfarming in future. I'v even secured a land for dat purpose. But I'm so concerned about obtaining the know-how to achieve cost reduction to the extent of competing favorably with imported products.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
obstead200:
Now u have said what I want to hear; especally wwith reference to making research and saving cost. U see, I hv great interest in going into poultry and fishfarming in future. I'v even secured a land for dat purpose. But I'm so concerned about obtaining the know-how to achieve cost reduction to the extent of competing favorably with imported products.
lots of people u can learn from,to compete well,eliminate middle men like dell & yr products will be cheaper
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by akonucheinfo(m): 10:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
excelsiorfarm: with humility,i missed no point,technology reduces cost of prodn,d initial outlay might look much,but it cheaper at longrun,use aerator in yr fishfarm,u get to market size early even when spending same cost as others

pls whats aerator? what is it used 4?
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by obstead200(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2013
@Excelsiorfarm: pls don't forget dat middlemen are very important in a business like dis in order to achieve a wider market reach and also to bring down costs and other risks associated with distribution of product. I aim to be able to achieve commpetitve pricing by acquiring the neccessary techhnology to drastically reduce production costs. I cud even encourage my middlemen and distributors by passing on some of the cost saavings to them to enjoy. That way, I'll easily gain product popularity.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:53am On Mar 24, 2013
akonucheinfo:

pls whats aerator? what is it used 4?
i blieve u hav seen aquarium,u c what creat d air bubble is called air pump,d aerator is what can service ponds,they are called electromagnetic compression,gives oxygen,aid growth,reduces h20 changing frequency etc
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by obstead200(m): 8:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
blieve u hav seen aquarium,u c what creat d air bubble is called air pump,d aerator is what can service ponds,they are called electromagnetic compression,gives oxygen,aid growth,reduces h20 changing frequency etc

It seems u are well informed this field. Guess I''ll contact u when I'M ready to proceed
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
@obstead200,whenever u want to start,with God,i can guide u
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Aylawani: 4:26pm On Apr 02, 2013
booqee: Thanks op. Nice write up. Yeah fish farming requires a lot experience and hardwork.
I remember once when the fishes in my dad's farm were sick, we kept giving them food and introducing salt into the water, but they just kept dying the more. It was not until later b4 we knew it was 'overfeeding' dat caused their sickness. Anyway OTC was the saviour. But by then we had lost close to a thousand fishes angry

...what is OTC?
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by robonski15(m): 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
All fish farmer and aspiring ones should read this..

https://www.nairaland.com/1240657/hidden-truths-catfish-business
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Immaculate4sure(m): 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2013
For qυalιтy ѕмoĸed caтғιѕн. Conтacт:- OLA on 08033551287 or 08080207920
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Oteleye(f): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
• Now available for sales: QUAIL
• Fresh and hatchable eggs
• Day old chicks, 1-2 weeks old, point-of-lay
• Table ready adults for dressing
• Quail incubator ,Water hardness,PH tester thermometers
• Water warmer, oxygen tablets
• Fish tranquilizers: tranquil, tricane methanesulfonate
• Zhivago fish health care products
• Fish collapsible tanks (10 &13)for grow- out
• Fish fingerlings, juveniles and broodstock
• Ice cream and lollipop sticks (large quantity)
Taiwo Ahmed (A-1) quality products @
2, Oloruntobi Close olude bus stop close to tastytime ipaja lagos
or
shop E-4 Abibat Mogaji shopping complex abattoir
08056446401, 08111718904
08094115318, 08027529982

Email – drtaiwoahmed@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by knowledge4(m): 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
The problem is not the production. The problem is in the ability to sell the fish within Nigeria. there are other reasons as follows:
The economic realities of the day has made many Nigerians especially the low income classes, which constitute the majority to stay away from catfish. A kilo of catfish costs N500.00 to N600.00 in Lagos. Many average income Nigerians see this fish as a luxury item. A family of five which is the size of an average family in Nigeria will consume a kilo of catfish in one day. There are closer substitutes imported from abroad known as frozen fish which are cheaper. One of them called KOTE costs N400.00 per kilo and will last three days in the soup pot. Another frozen fish known as SHAWA costs N300.00 per Kilo which means that the family with their N600.00 can buy 2 kilos which will take them 4-5 days. Given the economic realities, how many are interested in buying catfish? A large segment of the populace have been cut off the catfish market on economic grounds.

Secondly, catfish is scripturally forbidden in the Bible. I used to eat catfish and loved it but when i came across Leviticus Chapter 11 verse 7-12 warning, i stopped buying catfish. Nevertheless, many Christians still consume it. That the scripture taboo scares away some people is a minus to its marketability.Another set of Nigerians have been cut off the market on religious grounds.

Thirdly, many of the catfish farmers do not know of any market other than the local market where we all go to buy and sell all manner of food items. There is over supply of fish in the markets far above the demand. The upper income class who can afford to consume the fish at will hardly patronize the local markets. There are foreign markets but many of the farmers are backyard farmers who are either ignorant of the markets or do not have the volume of production required to enter the foreign markets.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by yemiakeem: 7:55pm On Oct 27, 2013
i want 2 sell catfish seeds/fingerlings... if u know any1 who want 2 buy contact Haykay farms @ N0 3, Olisa street behind st patrick catholic church Ikija ijebu Ogun state. yemiakeem20@gmail.com, 07038458563,08032500818 & 07058783845. products available thru out d year
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by kyzaru(m): 7:04pm On Nov 03, 2013
pat077: na inside plastic tank i dey rear my own,and it's 4 domestic consumption so ur advice are nt dat important 2 me 4 now. I may consider ur advice when i'm ready 2 go commercial.

pat077: you are a True Nigerian... you wan take laugh kill me... we nigerians can do better,we must not wait for the government.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Haykayfarm: 5:01am On Nov 08, 2013
i curently have about 1000 juvenile 4 sale @Haykay farms ikija ijebu. 2347058783845,07038458563,08032500818
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by Haykayfarm: 5:01am On Nov 08, 2013
i curently have juvenile 4 sale @Haykay farms ikija ijebu. 2347058783845,07038458563,08032500818
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by docchuks(m): 7:43am On Nov 24, 2013
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by ultrazone(m): 12:33am On Feb 14, 2015
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by mfm04622: 5:40am On Feb 14, 2015
obstead200:
Lemme say something
I do not believe that their is no market for fish farming. Rather I feel what we need is to do indepth research into ways of producing fish dat would be cheaper or at least at par with imported fish, withouT reducing quality.
The same goes for poultry. Have u ever wondered why a kilo of imported chicked sells for just N800 at retail price? Can we produce chicken right now that can sell for same rate per kilo without incurring heavy losses?
The question we should be aasking is "how do the foreign countries do it?" " Can't we do the same?"

The main reason poultry is expensive in Nigeria is the high cost of corn. Corn is expensive in Nigeria because the yield is poor! I don't really know why yields are poor in Nigeria. Same for fish farming, high cost of corn impact on feeding cost for fish too.
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by ultrazone(m): 9:49am On Mar 13, 2015
m
Re: Reasons Why Fish Farmers Fail In Nigeria by docchuks(m): 8:06pm On Apr 21, 2015
Fish farming or pisciculture is the principal form of aquaculture, while other methods may fall under mariculture. Fish farming involves raising fish commercially in tanks or enclosures, usually for food.

https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/gross-margin-for-small-size-dried-mangala-bangi-mangala/
https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/socio-economic-characteristics-of-fish-marketers/
https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/gross-margin-for-bigger-scomber-scomber-japonctactus/

There are so many information on the internet on "How to Start Fish Farming in Nigeria" but few are detailed enough to really assist aspiring fish farmer
https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/gross-margin-for-iced-bonga-medium-sizes/
https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/types-of-fish-sold/
https://fishfarmingnigeria./2015/04/20/analysis-of-fish-marketing/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akinwumi Adesina Magaga Irrigation Farm / Feed Formulation Formulas And Techniques In Poultry / Maize Pyramid That Is Being Built In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.