Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,505 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year (9749 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by shakomende: 11:19am On Feb 04, 2013
Award winning Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is set to launch a new novel “Americanah” later this year. The award winning writer who has been researching and writing her book as a Radcliffe African Studies fellow at Harvard University is well known for her prominent books ‘Purple Hibiscus’, Orange Prize-winning ‘Half of the Yellow Sun’ and short story collection ‘The Thing around your Neck.’

Here is a description of the book as told by Harper Collins:

From the award-winning author of ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ a powerful story of love, race and identity.

As teenagers in Lagos, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Their Nigeria is under military dictatorship, and people are fleeing the country if they can. The self-assured Ifemelu departs for America. There she suffers defeats and triumphs, finds and loses relationships, all the while feeling the weight of something she never thought of back home: race. Obinze had hoped to join her, but post-9/11 America will not let him in, and he plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London.

Fifteen years later, Obinze is a wealthy man in a newly democratic Nigeria, while Ifemelu has achieved success as a blogger. But after so long apart and so many changes, will they find the courage to meet again, face to face?

Fearless, gripping, spanning three continents and numerous lives, ‘Americanah’ is a richly told story of love and expectation set in today’s globalized world.
http://www.cp-africa.com/2013/02/04/chimamanda-adichies-new-book-americanah-set-to-launch-this-year/

4 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
Nice one
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Lobolintin(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
she be my babe those days.., i love her die... her write up gallant wella
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Naijalastborn(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
ighoosagie: Nice one
i knw one day i will have to sit with her and take pictures
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Feb 04, 2013
I can't wait to read it. I guess it captures her sojourn to America.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
yay!! can't wait..
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2013
OK
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 04, 2013
I just love this woman. Pardon me,but i've got a major crush on her.
Don't tell me...i already know she's married.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Jeflox: 3:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
Amanda shine on....you are a gift to your generation
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Orikinla(m): 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
She was born to do this and be famous for doing so.

You can buy the novel here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307271080?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0307271080&linkCode=xm2&tag=kissrose-20

“An incredibly readable and rich tapestry of Nigerian and American life, and the ways a handful of vivid characters—so vivid they feel like family—try to live in both worlds simultaneously. As she did so masterfully with Half of a Yellow Sun, Adichie paints on a grand canvas, boldly and confidently, equally adept at conveying the complicated political backdrop of Lagos as she is in bringing us into the day-to-day lives of her many new Americans—a single mom, a student, a hairdresser. This is a very funny, very warm and moving intergenerational epic that confirms Adichie’s virtuosity, boundless empathy and searing social acuity.”

—Dave Eggers, author of A Hologram for the King

“Adichie’s great gift is that she has always brought us into the territory of the previously unexplored. She writes about that which others have kept silent. Americanah is no exception. This is not just a story that unfolds across three different continents, it is also a keenly observed examination of race, identity and belonging in the global landscapes of Africans and Americans. If Joyce had silence, exile and cunning for his defense, Adichie has flair, loss and longing. And Adichie is brave enough to allow the story to unfold with a distinct straightforward simplicity that never loses its edgy intellect.”
—Colum McCann, author of Let the Great World Spin

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Akshow: 3:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
I hope Its not a boring book like purple hibiscus.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
binger: I just love this woman. Pardon me,but i've got a major crush on her.
Don't tell me...i already know she's married.

^^^No be only you bros; i think same can be said of all red-blooded males on nairaland......there's just something about her!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by SlyIg(f): 3:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Oh my purple Hibiscus woman. Can't wait to read your new release.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by kenod(m): 3:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
Over the years we have witnessed the rise of this child prodigy to become one of Africa's most critically acclaimed authors..she remains proof that Africa and indeed Nigeria can never be written off or default to the "single story" archetype that the west constantly promotes.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
Akshow: I hope Its not a boring book like purple hibiscus.

^^^So what's your idea of an exciting book?.....'Samankwe and the highway robbers'?

5 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Orikinla(m): 3:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^So what's your idea of an exciting book?.....'Samankwe and the highway robbers'?
grin
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 04, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^No be only you bros; i think same can be said of all red-blooded males on nairaland......there's just something about her!

Thank u my brother...ndewo!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by taharqa: 4:01pm On Feb 04, 2013
Yea.. Cant wait for anoda Chimamanda's offering....
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 04, 2013
see wia brain dey function and dey bring mune cheesy
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
kiss
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
When I see this lady I see my wife, Beauty and brain, I would have married her if I had miss my wife lipsrsealed
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by romzey(m): 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
Really can't wait to read it too. I love her expression, so natural!!!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by lindaflorence: 4:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
CHESSBOARD: When I see this lady I see my wife, Beauty and brain, I would have married her if I had miss my wife lipsrsealed
u no well at all, instead of u 2 congratulate her u dey their dey fine wife
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by smartdude1(m): 4:37pm On Feb 04, 2013
Lobolintin: she be my babe those days.., i love her die... her write up gallant wella
GUY...u no sure wetin u dey talk....she be my babe...and i still love her diiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Emperor5c(m): 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2013
Chimamanda ibù ifé n‘li
**Black nd Pretty**
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
smart-dude:

GUY...u no sure wetin u dey talk....she be my babe...and i still love her diiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee
uan dey drag a babe wey me and her dey hotel room now? Ok o, thumbs up to d writer , lshe is just another Achebe
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Ikengawo: 4:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
she's perfect....
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by walterkenny: 4:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
I hope that becomes another award winning novel smiley
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Asis(m): 4:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Great lady..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daddy’s Little Office Slut (A Short Romantic Story) / The Testimony Of a Freed Man :two Kingdoms One Soul (complete story) / Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.