Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,804 members, 7,841,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Interview With Usonwanne Ogbuagu World Miss University Nigeria Beauty Queen 2007 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Interview With Usonwanne Ogbuagu World Miss University Nigeria Beauty Queen 2007 (2147 Views)

Grace Atinuke-Oyelude, First "Miss Nigeria" Beauty Queen At 84 / Tonto Dike-Churchill Glows At "Miss Grand Nigeria Beauty Pageant" Photos / Interview With Tobi Phillips (World Miss University Nigeria 2012) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Interview With Usonwanne Ogbuagu World Miss University Nigeria Beauty Queen 2007 by wmunonline(f): 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
World Miss University Nigeria 2007 Beauty Queen Interview by the Nations...

21-year-old Usonwanne Ogbuagu won Nigeria's World Miss University (WMUN) 2007 Beauty Pageant crown, beating 31 other undergraduate who contested, based on her poise, fluency in spoken English, and, among all, her presentation on drugs abuse, which captured the attention of the panel of judges and that of the audience at the Lagos venue of the event. Usonwanne just came back from Seoul, Korea where she came third representing Nigeria at the World Miss University Peace Emissary Award contest which was held between October 13 to November 1, 2007. In this interview with Kunle Rasheed she spoke about her reign, pet project, and romance, among other issues. Excerpts.

Please Introduce Yourself.
I am Usonwanne Ogbuagu. World Miss University Nigeria Queen 2007, I am currently a 400-Level Law student of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka in Anambra State. I come from a family of three. My parents are both lawyers. I am the first in the family. I am 21 years old.

Tell us about your experience in Korea.

First of all, I have to thank the Almighty God, the Nigerian press, my parents, friends and well wishers, most importantly, the organisers and sponsors, especially the president Mr. Temidayo L. Kafaru, who supported me before and during my stay in Korea, I thank them for their endless contributions and the actualization of my dreams. I have to tell you that it wasn’t really an easy task in Korea, but with God, everything was possible for me. I ‘m glad I made Nigeria proud by progressing to the last top 3. I’m currently the 2ndrunner-up of World Miss University International and also, won the award of Best Talent.
And, to my utmost surprise, the least contestant had an IQ of about 8.5 on a scale of 10. So, my brain had no rest throughout the contest. The contest was a celebration of beauty and intellect, and it strives to spread the message of love and peace throughout the world by annually appointing a public service delegation of outstanding female university students from across the world.

How did you emerge the World Miss University Nigeria Queen?

It was an interesting experience. I was actually given the opportunity to be in the same environment with 31 other lovely ladies from diverse backgrounds. And we had two weeks of camping, which was something else. At the end, I came out top.

How did the idea of contesting for the crown come?

Well, this idea of beauty contests, once you hear of it, you become pessimistic, because of the rumours surrounding it. But what actually triggered my interest in this particular pageant was the organization behind it. Also, it dwells solely on intellect. You have to be very intelligent to survive in the game. And it equally gives the opportunity to be a good ambassador of the youth.

Was it your first experience of participating in a beauty contest, and if it was, what are the qualities that helped you to win?

Yes, it was my first experience. And I did what I was expected to do, with my principles intact. Basically, that was what won me the crown. And like I said, I won the crown based on my intelligence. You know, I said one has to be intelligent to really win in the game here; you have to be friendly as well. And you have to always bear it in mind that you are representing an institution, a university. And you carry the marks based on comportment, intellect, beauty, and perfection on whatever topic you choose for yourself.

What were the attractions of the crown?

I’m enjoying a lot of benefits, like payment of my school fees for the duration of my reign by the organizers of WMUN, then the $5000 prize, an official car, the one million naira working allowance for the duration of one year I am going to reign, among other benefits. And, most importantly, I am going to be a United Nations’ Ambassador representing Nigeria.

Would you say you have fulfilled your expectations by winning the third position in Korea?

First of all, my hope was to be the winner as the WMUN representative from Nigeria. Everybody expects the best. I wouldn’t want to let anybody down let alone my humble self. My determination has always been to represent my country well and go home with the crown. Last year, there were 43 delegates; we have 75 this year, which is twice last year’s arrangement. So, that means, more ladies, stiffer competition, and if the environment is for the brilliant minds, the game is bound to be tough. I hope to take the lead in the future.

Was the Korea trip your first outside Nigeria?

I have been going to London occasionally, and I was in Ghana this year with the president of World Miss University Nigeria (Mr. Temidayo L. Kafaru). We were in Ghana to cheer up Amaka, who came third at the Miss Africa Queen contest.

Do you share the minority perception that a pageant beauty must sleep her way to take the crown?

That depends on individual background. I am a very principled lady. There are certain things I would not stand for. It is just a pity that this kind of perception has really grown and is eating up the industry. You always have the right to say no to what is against your principle. You have to be identified for what you stand for. And now, that beauty contest has become the biggest venture in Nigeria, when everybody wants to be a model, when everybody wants to be popular internationally, we can’t just afford to let this kind of perception grow. You can be a beauty queen without sleeping with anybody.

Which of the designers handled your wardrobe for the event?

Luckily for me, I have the privilege to be with one of the top designers in Nigeria, Steve Ray, he is a renowned couture designer, and he handles every of the costumes I used in Korea. He is the same designer that handled Amaka’s costumes in Ghana when she won the Best Costume Award in Ghana.

Are you into any project that keeps you busy right now?

Yes, I have a pet project on youths and drug abuse in the society. It is a project aimed at helping to eradicate drugs abuse among the youth. It is something we have to really deal with once and for all, because it is a big problem on our hands and nobody seems to be ready to talk about it. The project has already started. And I am going to really get involved in it now that I ‘m back home.

Let’s talk about your love life; are you in a relationship right now?

Em…Although, I am a Nigerian lady who is expected to have a man, and one day, I am definitely going to settle down with a man and raise kids, but there is really nothing to talk about now. I wouldn’t want to go into that now. I am 21, fine, but it’s not just proper for me now to start thinking about a love affair when all eyes are on me as the youth ambassador. I can’t just afford to derail. I am still young, and I think I still have a long way to go. Right now, I want to make sure I achieve my aims in education and the project I have at hands.

Who are your role models?

The best among my role models is my mum. She supports me with everything she has, and she supports my dreams and aspirations. She is always there to give me the trust, believing I know what I am doing.

What is your ultimate aim in life?

Well, my ultimate aim is to achieve most of what I desire in life, to be able to project my race and my country well. After this Korea trip, I can tell you that I am going to get myself busy; work is just going to start. There is going to be some peace rallies in order to create more awareness as regards my pet project. And, definitely, I am going back to finish my course. After that, I wish to go into other things that would guarantee me a better future.

(1) (Reply)

Don Jazzy Thanks D’banj, Wande Coal For Award / OMG! Nicki Minaj Shares New Photos Of Herself Exposing Her Bo*bs / One Word For This Celebrity Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.