Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way (2288 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
There are too many people in the world today who are more inclined to follow the " majority view" over and above the truth of God's Word. Surely if the majority of people believe something to be right, then it must be right, yes? No. All throughout the Bible we see that it was normally the majority that were in the wrong, and it was only the "few" that followed God's truth. And this is the case for speaking in tongues. The majority of Christians believe that speaking in ecstatic tongues, or what we like to call gibberish, is actual Bible tongues that the apostles spoke in. But in this study, we will show you from the Word of God that this majority view of tongues today is wrong.

Let's start off in the Old Testament so that we can get a "WHOLE" picture of what the Bible teaches us about speaking in tongues. What does the word " tongues" mean in the Old Testament?

Genesis 10:5 .....'By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.'

Deuteronomy 28:49 .....'The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand.'

The above Bible verse in Deuteronomy is an interesting one. This nation that God would bring against Israel, would it be a nation speaking in the kind of ecstatic tongues we hear today? Of course not. As we know, God scattered the language (tongue) of the people after the tower of Babel, and this other nation that God is speaking about above would basically be speaking in a LANGUAGE that the Israelites would not understand.

Ezra 4:7 .....'And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in the Syrian tongue, and interpreted in the Syrian tongue.'

Daniel 1:4 .....'Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans .'

It is plain to see that tongues in the Old Testament basically means the language of the nation. Just like today we have the English tongue, the French tongue, the Chinese tongue, and so on. So carrying this forward into the New Testament from the Old Testament, what do you think the gift of speaking in tongues would mean?

Acts 21:40 .....'And when he had given him licence, Paul stood on the stairs, and beckoned with the hand unto the people. And when there was made a great silence, he spake unto them in the Hebrew tongue .'

Revelation 7:9 .....'After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands.'

So does it not simply mean that God would give some people the gift of speaking in the language of another nation to further the gospel message? Well, let's take a deeper look at speaking in tongues in the New Testament.

Speaking in Tongues in the New Testament
The gift of speaking in tongues has a strong connection with the spreading of the gospel message of Christ Jesus. So keep that in mind as we go through the different Bible verses concerning tongues in the New Testament. From the following Bible verse we can see the connection with tongues and the gospel message.

Mark 16:15-17 .....'And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.'

Do you see the clear connection? To be able to take the gospel message to all the other nations around the world, what gift would Jesus' disciples need for this to be achieved? The gift of speaking in the languages of other nations, and this is what Jesus means in the above Bible verse. His disciples would receive power from the Holy Spirit and speak in new tongues (world languages).

So in Luke 24:49 we find Jesus telling the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for power from on high, and we find the fulfillment of this on the day of pentecost:

Acts 2:1-4 .....'And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.'

Now from what we have read so far, what do you think these tongues were that the disciples were speaking in? Were they ecstatic tongues that no one else could understand? Or were they simply speaking in different languages of the world? If we read on in Acts 2 we will find the answer:

Acts 2:5-11 .....'And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in OUR OWN tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in OUR tongues the wonderful works of God.'

Do you see the clear Bible truth here? We cannot just take a verse and build a doctrine on it, we MUST use the WHOLE council of God right throughout the Bible to build a true picture. The tongues that the disciples were speaking were the languages of the different people present, not some ecstatic utterance that many Christians would like to believe.

There is another incident with speaking in tongues recorded in Acts, after the day of pentecost. Let's take a look at what happened:

Acts 10:44-46 .....'While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.'

Now the Jews present heard the Gentiles magnify God. So what tongues were the Gentiles speaking in? They were speakin in the LANGUAGE of the Jews present at that time, because as the Bible verses says, the Jews HEARD them speak and magnify God. So the Jews UNDERSTOOD what the Gentiles were saying because the Gentiles were given the gift of speaking in the Jews language. Now when Peter went back to Judea, he told the people of the event and he confirms that the tongues the Gentiles received were the same kind of tongues as at the day of pentecost, ie., speaking in other languages.

Acts 11:15-17 .....'And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.'
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
Do you see the truth here? Peter confirms that the gift these Gentiles received was the same gift that the disciples received at the day of Pentecost. And what gift was that? The gift of speaking in different world languages. This is the gift of speaking in tongues, to be able to speak another language, NOT some babble (ecstatic tongues) [/b]that has no place in world languages.

The apostle Paul is well known for being able to speak in many different languages, and he confirmed this in [b]1 Corinthians 14:18
. But notice what he says he was able to do .... "I thank my God I speak with MORE tongues than you all". So Paul tells us himself that speaking in tongues is speaking languages of the world, NOT ecstatic utterances. And what was the purpose of the gift of tongues?

1 Corinthians 14:22 .....'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, BUT TO THEM THAT BELIEVE NOT: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.'

Do you see this clear Bible truth about speaking in tongues? I hope so! God has given the gift of speaking in tongues (languages) for a sign for those who don't believe. Now you tell me this; the above verse and the great commission verse from Jesus confirms that speaking in tongues is for the mission field, to spread the gospel message and to reach out to various nations and languages.

So why is it that this gibberish that many call tongues today is normally kept behind closed doors?? Also, say a mission team went to another country that spoke a different language and they started preaching and speaking in ecstatic tongues. What would those listening think? They would probably think that these preachers were just crazy! But yet if another mission team went out and God gave them the gift of speaking in TRUE BIBLE tongues and those listening heard what they were saying in their OWN language, then that would be a sign to them and they would understand what was being said and God would be glorified. Friend, this is the Bible truth.

Tongues of Angels
Now this is a favorite for those who speak in this gibberish today. They claim they are speaking some sort of heavenly language of angles, and use what Paul says in 1 Cornithians 13 to support it. Now PLEASE KEEP IN MIND what Paul said above in 1 Corinthians 14, that tongues are for a sign to those who don't believe, and that speaking in gibberish cannot be a sign to non believers because they just sound crazy! [/b]Let's take a look at this verse about tongues of angels.

[b]1 Corinthians 13:1
.....'Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.'

Again, like many doctrines that are built today, this doctrine of ecstatic tongues is based upon one or two verses and the WHOLE council of God is not taken into consideration. We need to read this verse in context to be able to fully understand what Paul was getting at.

1 Corinthians 13:1 .....'Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.'

Now this becomes more clear as to what Paul was saying. Has any man or woman that has ever lived (except Jesus) understood ALL things? Has anyone that has ever lived had ALL knowledge? Has anyone that has ever lived had ALL faith? No, of course not. What Paul was getting at was, even IF (that word "though" should be IF), even IF you could speak with all languages of the earth and heaven. Even IF you had all understanding. Even IF you had all knowledge. Even IF you had all faith, but did not have love, you would have NOTHING! Do you see this? Paul isn't saying that we CAN speak with heavenly languages, or have all understanding, and knowledge and faith, because we can't. He's just saying that EVEN IF we had all these things, but didn't have love, they would mean nothing. The focus with these verses is love, nothing more!

Let's translate this into a more easy to understand worldly way. If we could fly like superman, but did not show love, then being like superman would count for nothing. Now does this mean we CAN fly like superman? Of course not. Paul was just making an illustration as to the importance of love in our Christian walk. And by the way, what language (tongue) did the angels speak when they spoke to men throughout the Bible? Did they speak in some ecstatic gibberish? No, they spoke in the language of the particular person they were speaking to.

1 Corinthians 14:2,9,13,14 .....'For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.'

What about these Bible verses? They must be talking about speaking in this ecstatic tongue right? Wrong. Let's put this situation into real life. Say a Chinese person came into an English speaking church to worship God, and this Chinese person could speak no English. Now say this Chinese person started proclaiming and worshipping aloud in Chinese. What would that be to the rest of the English congregation? It would be an UNKNOWN TONGUE. And if there was no-one in that church who had the gift of interpretation, or the Chinese person could not interpret, who would that person be speaking to? He/she would be speaking to God alone! Because only God would understand what that person was saying. Do you see this clear truth?

2 Corinthians 12:4 .....'How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.'

Now surely Paul is talking about ecstatic tongues here right? Wrong. This is so straight forward if you look at it in the simple way God wants us to look at His Word. Why were the words Paul heard unspeakable? He tells us in the same verse; because it was NOT LAWFUL for him to repeat them. They were words that were to remain in heaven. Simple as that. Now just for fun, let's say that he DID hear ecstatic tongues. Why do so many Christians openly speak in this ecstatic tongue, when Paul clearly said that it was UNLAWFUL for man to utter these things! Do you see how this speaking in gibberish has no foundation in the Bible?

There is no doubt when you take in the WHOLE council of God in the Bible, that the gift of speaking in tongues is NOT this ecstatic gibberish that is spoken in many churches today, but rather its the ability, through the Holy Spirit of being able to suddenly speak another language of the world to further the gospel message. This is the Bible truth about speaking in tongues.

http://www.thebibletruth.net/bible-speaking-in-tongues.html
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 7:30pm On Feb 04, 2013
Okay....How many tongues are there in scriptures?

#Systematic exposition mode activated# grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
Goshen360: Okay....How many tongues are there in scriptures?

#Systematic exposition mode activated# grin

Tongues means languages bro, in the bible context , especially as applicable to mankind.

So your question is like asking me, how many languages do we have in the world ? cheesy
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 8:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
Okay.

1. Now, let's not use tongues in our conversation. Let's use 'language' instead of 'tongues'. I think that's okay by you right?

2. The language that was spoken on the day of Pentecost was a WELL KNOWN and UNDERSTANDABLE language. This is Bible truth.

3. How do you explain this language here in this verse

International Standard Version
For the person who speaks in a foreign language is not actually speaking to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands him, because he is talking about secrets by the Spirit. - 1 Corinthians 14:2

I pulled the International Standard Version (ISV) because it uses 'language' instead of 'tongue' as we agree. Now, look at this verse very well and compare to the spoken language in Acts that was a WELL KNOWN AND UNDERSTANDABLE language. This verse in 1 Corinthians says NOT SPEAKING TO PEOPLE BUT TO GOD, NO ONE UNDERSTANDS HIM .......but what was spoken in Acts was SPOKEN TO MEN AND WAS UNDERSTOOD.

Can you spot the difference my brother? And how do you explain that from this verse?
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
He is speaking a foreign language which no one in the congregation at that particular time and place can understand.

Therefore, for the sake of order, it is better he speaks with this foreign tongue when there is an interpreter, otherwise he will be praising God in a language which no one can understand except God.

Read also verses 10 - 13

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by ijawkid(m): 10:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
My question to acclaimed tongue speakers today is why have they chosen to swim in and stick to the unknown, incoherent, tongues??.....why can't they just use the gift of speaking in tongues(that's if they really have the gift) to spread the goodnews like never before....why can't I just see a yoruba or ibo man who has never heard or spoken the ijaw language before in his life ,walk up to and old ijaw woman in the village and deliver Gods message in Ijaw ..........why??......why must it be the gibberish I hear from the loud speakers of churches today...why??.....I don tire oooo.......
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 12:54am On Feb 05, 2013
Frosbel and Ijawkid,

What Apostle Paul taught wasn't NOT TO SPEAK IN TONGUES OR LANGUAGE HERE BUT ABUSE OF TONGUES and THE ADVANTAGES OF PROPHECY OVER TONGUES IN WORSHIP PLACES by the Corinthians Church. First, take a look from this translations,

New Living Translation (NLT)

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.

2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.

4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.

5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened.

6 Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful.

7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody.

8 And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?

9 It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.

10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning.

11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me.

12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.

13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.

14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.

15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don’t understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don’t understand what you are saying?

17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won’t strengthen the people who hear you.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you.

19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.

20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind.

21 It is written in the Scriptures:

“I will speak to my own people through strange languages and through the lips of foreigners. But even then, they will not listen to me,” says the Lord.

22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers.

23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy.

24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say.

25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”

A Call to Orderly Worship

26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say.

28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said.

30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop.

31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged.

32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.

34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says.

35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.

36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given?

37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself.

38 But if you do not recognize this, you yourself will not be recognized.

39 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues.

40 But be sure that everything is done properly and in order.

1 Corinthians 14

I will follow up with comments
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 1:37am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel: He is speaking a foreign language which no one in the congregation at that particular time and place can understand.

Therefore, for the sake of order, it is better he speaks with this foreign tongue when there is an interpreter, otherwise he will be praising God in a language which no one can understand except God.

Read also verses 10 - 13

Brother Frosbel, Like someone said recently, (not sure the person now) - "being able to understand Apostle Paul is one thing on it's own when the Pauline Epistles are being read".

Now, the verse 10 - 13 you talked about is just a 'analogy' being used to make a comparison. Look at it from here:

10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning. 11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me. 12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church. 13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.

You see with the phrase, "And the same is true for you", an analogy is drawn from what is said in verse 10 and 11 to tell them why speak in a language that someone else can't understand or that you can't interpret if you don't have the gift of interpretation.

The very immediate verse 14 says, "For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying".

Wait a minute, how can I pray in tongues languages that I myself don't understand according to verse 14 and YET, MY SPIRIT IS PRAYING . The answer is in verse 2 where it says I do NOT SPEAK to nobody but unto GOD ONLY since I'm speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit that gives the gift.

According to verse 2, the ONLY way to TALK to God is IN PRAYERS which is understood in verse 14 and verses 27-28,

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. 28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they [size=20pt]must[/size] be silent in your church meeting and [size=15pt]speak in tongues to God privately.[/size]

You need to notice the use of "SPEAK" and "PRAY"....in tongues or languages in verses selected or in the whole context. My whole essence is this, there're two different kinds of tongues languages spoken or taught in scriptures and by Apostle Paul.

1. A well known and understandable tongues languages which we read in Acts - It's called the "SIGN" tongues languages. How can someone speak a language he or she never learnt instantaneously IF SUCH LANGUAGE IS A SIGN, to empower the Apostles to spread the gospel at that time. This kind is ONLY spoken to MEN and understood by MEN as in the case of Acts of Apostles

2. There's a "PRAYING" tongues languages which NO MAN UNDERSTANDS (including the one who speaks or pray in such languages) BUT GOD according to verse 2 and 14. This kind of SUPPOSED to be ONLY used when NOT in worship places except there's one with the gift of interpretation or the one who speaks can interpret BUT when the one who SPEAKS OR PRAYS to God should do so PRIVATELY, NOT in public worship place(s) according to verse 28.

Lemme stop here for now. What we have in our churches or worship places according to Ijawkid while church people prays or speaks in tongues languages mercilessly via their loud speakers is pure ABUSE OF "PRAYING" TONGUES LANGUAGES. It's unscriptural and MUST not be encouraged. Apostle Paul says, if there's not to interpret in worship places, the speakers MUST keep quiet and do that praying or speaking to God PRIVATELY. In other words, praying or speaking in tongues is IRRELEVANT in worship places when NO ONE UNDERSTAND but PROPHECY DOES because prophecy is speaking in languages understood by ALL, the WHOLE CHURCH and the WHOLE CHURCH is edified; unlike tongues that edifies ONLY THE SPEAKER.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 1:38am On Feb 05, 2013
Goshen360: Frosbel and Ijawkid,

What Apostle Paul taught wasn't NOT TO SPEAK IN TONGUES OR LANGUAGE HERE BUT ABUSE OF TONGUES and THE ADVANTAGES OF PROPHECY OVER TONGUES IN WORSHIP PLACES by the Corinthians Church. First, take a look from this translations,

New Living Translation (NLT)

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.

2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.

4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.

5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened.

6 Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful.

7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody.

8 And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?

9 It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.

10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning.

11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me.

12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.

13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.

14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.

15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don’t understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don’t understand what you are saying?

17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won’t strengthen the people who hear you.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you.

19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.

20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind.

21 It is written in the Scriptures:

“I will speak to my own people through strange languages and through the lips of foreigners. But even then, they will not listen to me,” says the Lord.

22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers.

23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy.

24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say.

25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”

A Call to Orderly Worship

26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say.

28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said.

30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop.

31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged.

32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.

34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says.

35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.

36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given?

37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself.

38 But if you do not recognize this, you yourself will not be recognized.

39 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues.

40 But be sure that everything is done properly and in order.

1 Corinthians 14

I will follow up with comments

We agree on almost all points.

The bone of contention is the nature of these tongues, are these tongues normal human languages or are they some sort of angelic mutterings.

My opinion which is subject to debate, is that the tongues that were promised to follow the believers after the baptism of the Holy Spirit were languages, really , using the same model of Pentecost, no different. Reference : Mark 16:17

For orderliness in a church setting and especially when outsiders were visiting, it was always better to have an interpreter for the specific tongue being spoken or, not to speak at all to avoid confusion.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 1:45am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

We agree on almost all points.

The bone of contention is the nature of these tongues, are these tongues normal human languages or are they some sort of angelic mutterings.

My opinion which is subject to debate, is that the tongues that were promised to follow the believers after the baptism of the Holy Spirit were languages, really , using the same model of Pentecost, no different. Reference : Mark 16:17

For orderliness in a church setting and especially when outsiders were visiting, it was always better to have an interpreter for the specific tongue being spoken or, not to speak at all to avoid confusion.

Read my follow up comment after quoting the whole passage of 1 Corinthians 14. The highlight is exactly what Apostle Paul was trying to correct. Stop speaking in tongues in worship places when no one can interpret and keep quiet or speak to God in private if you must do so.

What I'm correcting you on the that you're saying there's not gift of praying tongues which is used in speaking or praying to God which no one understands. Except I mis-understand you. There's a gift of tongues used in praying to God which no one understand but ONLY to God and praying in the spirit by the one who prays.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by nlMediator: 1:51am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel: He is speaking a foreign language which no one in the congregation at that particular time and place can understand.

Read also verses 10 - 13

This is absolutely poor reasoning on your part. Paul was giving instructions about future church meetings. How on earth does he or anyone know who will attend and what language they'll speak for him to categorically claim that nobody in a church meeting would be able to understand what is spoken in a known language? It's like telling a Congregation in Lagos not to speak in tongues because one is likely to speak in Russian and there would be nobody there to understand you. How do you know there would be no Russian or Russian speaker there? And since it is obvious Paul was not saying the tongues were false, why is it that God would only choose to give only those natural languages that nobody can undersand at the meeting? I'm sorry your interpretation of that particular scripture does not make an iota of sense.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 1:56am On Feb 05, 2013
[quote author=Goshen360]

Now, the verse 10 - 13 you talked about is just a 'analogy' being used to make a comparison. Look at it from here:

10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning. 11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me. 12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church. 13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said.

You see with the phrase, "And the same is true for you", an analogy is drawn from what is said in verse 10 and 11 to tell them why speak in a language that someone else can't understand or that you can't interpret if you don't have the gift of interpretation.

The very immediate verse 14 says, "For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying".

"All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language." - Acts 2:4-6

1. They spoke in diverse tongues
2. These tongues were praising God and declaring his wonderful works
3. There were interpreters at hand
4. It is obvious that the apostles and disciples did not themselves understand what they were saying.

Wait a minute, how can I pray in tongues languages that I myself don't understand according to verse 14 and YET, MY SPIRIT IS PRAYING . The answer is in verse 2 where it says I do NOT SPEAK to nobody but unto GOD ONLY since I'm speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit that gives the gift.

Brother , this is the same thing as praying in the spirit with the utterance granted by the Holy Spirit, it does not mean praying in some strange unknown tongue.

1. A well known and understandable tongues languages which we read in Acts - It's called the "SIGN" tongues languages. How can someone speak a language he or she never learnt instantaneously IF SUCH LANGUAGE IS A SIGN, to empower the Apostles to spread the gospel at that time. This kind is ONLY spoken to MEN and understood by MEN as in the case of Acts of Apostles

Okay , agreed.

2. There's a "PRAYING" tongues languages which NO MAN UNDERSTANDS (including the one who speaks or pray in such languages) BUT GOD according to verse 2 and 14. This kind of SUPPOSED to be ONLY used when NOT in worship places except there's one with the gift of interpretation or the one who speaks can interpret BUT when the one who SPEAKS OR PRAYS to God should do so PRIVATELY, NOT in public worship place(s) according to verse 28.

I humbly disagree here.

In my opinion, and this is just my own opinion based on understanding of these passages , there is only one model for speaking in tongues and that is the model of Pentecost. It has not changed and is the same speaking in tongues promised by Jesus in Mark 16:17.

Just like we have preachers who use local language translators when they travel to a foreign country to preach the gospel, so we have those who have the gift of translating foreign languages into a more easily understood local dialect.

But then again, there are so many languages on this earth, so some of them may even sound like we are speaking gibberish, cheesy.

I have personally witnessed the abuse of speaking in tongues , heard some very diabolical stories and would rather speak in a tongue I know which is English.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 2:00am On Feb 05, 2013
nlMediator:

This is absolutely poor reasoning on your part. Paul was giving instructions about future church meetings. How on earth does he or anyone know who will attend and what language they'll speak for him to categorically claim that nobody in a church meeting would be able to understand what is spoken in a known language? It's like telling a Congregation in Lagos not to speak in tongues because one is likely to speak in Russian and there would be nobody there to understand you. How do you know there would be no Russian or Russian speaker there? And since it is obvious Paul was not saying the tongues were false, why is it that God would only choose to give only those natural languages that nobody can undersand at the meeting? I'm sorry your interpretation of that particular scripture does not make an iota of sense.

Tongues means languages and you cannot make it mean something else.

glóssa: the tongue, a language
Original Word: γλῶσσα, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: glóssa
Phonetic Spelling: (gloce-sah')
Short Definition: the tongue, a language, nation
Definition: the tongue, a language, a nation (usually distinguished by their speech)

This is the Lexicon definition of what tongues in the context of 1 Corinthians 14 and Acts 2 signifies.

I am sorry, but a lot of what people speak in the name of tongues today is gibberish and causes more hurt to the body.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 2:15am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel: Brother , this is the same thing as praying in the spirit with the utterance granted by the Holy Spirit, it does not mean praying in some strange unknown tongue.

If you're saying this. Then look at verse 14,

So me as a Yoruba man. When I come to worship places and I give a sermon or message in English. In between, how can I PRAY IN YORUBA and yet I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING? Does that make sense? Since I understand Yoruba and not everyone in the worship place do understand my Yoruba language, why would Paul say I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ME MYSELF IS SAYING and yet I'm a Yoruba man.

frosbel: I humbly disagree here.

In my opinion, and this is just my own opinion based on understanding of these passages , there is only one model for speaking in tongues and that is the model of Pentecost. It has not changed and is the same speaking in tongues promised by Jesus in Mark 16:17.

This is where you're missing it brother. If there's ONLY ONE model of tongues/languages which is promised by Christ, why would Paul say in verse 2 and 14 that NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND IT and yet what was spoken on Pentecost was CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD BY MEN and a KNOWN LANGUAGE? This is the main question you need to answer.

BTW, how did you miss this recent thread by Goshen360: https://www.nairaland.com/1171845/carnality-corinthians-churches-abuse-speaking
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 2:30am On Feb 05, 2013
^^^^

Subject to further study. smiley

Thank You .
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 2:40am On Feb 05, 2013
^

Better bro. Iron sharpens iron. I'm here to reason the scriptures with you. cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by honeychild(f): 8:04am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:
Tongues of Angels
Now this is a favorite for those who speak in this gibberish today. They claim they are speaking some sort of heavenly language of angles, and use what Paul says in 1 Cornithians 13 to support it.

Again, like many doctrines that are built today, this doctrine of ecstatic tongues is based upon one or two verses and the WHOLE council of God is not taken into consideration. We need to read this verse in context to be able to fully understand what Paul was getting at.

1 Corinthians 13:1 .....'Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.'

Now this becomes more clear as to what Paul was saying. Has any man or woman that has ever lived (except Jesus) understood ALL things? Has anyone that has ever lived had ALL knowledge? Has anyone that has ever lived had ALL faith? No, of course not. What Paul was getting at was, even IF (that word "though" should be IF), even IF you could speak with all languages of the earth and heaven. Even IF you had all understanding. Even IF you had all knowledge. Even IF you had all faith, but did not have love, you would have NOTHING! Do you see this? Paul isn't saying that we CAN speak with heavenly languages, or have all understanding, and knowledge and faith, because we can't. He's just saying that EVEN IF we had all these things, but didn't have love, they would mean nothing. The focus with these verses is love, nothing more!

Let's translate this into a more easy to understand worldly way. If we could fly like superman, but did not show love, then being like superman would count for nothing. Now does this mean we CAN fly like superman? Of course not. Paul was just making an illustration as to the importance of love in our Christian walk.

WOW! Frosbel thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! This is the clearest explanation of this verse ever!
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by ijawkid(m): 10:00am On Feb 05, 2013
Goshen360:

Brother Frosbel, Like someone said recently, (not sure the person now) - "being able to understand Apostle Paul is one thing on it's own when the Pauline Epistles are being read".

According to verse 2, the ONLY way to TALK to God is IN PRAYERS which is understood in verse 14 and verses 27-28,

27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. 28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they [size=20pt]must[/size] be silent in your church meeting and [size=15pt]speak in tongues to God privately.[/size]

You need to notice the use of "SPEAK" and "PRAY"....in tongues or languages in verses selected or in the whole context. My whole essence is this, there're two different kinds of tongues languages spoken or taught in scriptures and by Apostle Paul.

Lemme stop here for now. What we have in our churches or worship places according to Ijawkid while church people prays or speaks in tongues languages mercilessly via their loud speakers is pure ABUSE OF "PRAYING" TONGUES LANGUAGES. It's unscriptural and MUST not be encouraged. Apostle Paul says, if there's not to interpret in worship places, the speakers MUST keep quiet and do that praying or speaking to God PRIVATELY. In other words, praying or speaking in tongues is IRRELEVANT in worship places when NO ONE UNDERSTAND but PROPHECY DOES because prophecy is speaking in languages understood by ALL, the WHOLE CHURCH and the WHOLE CHURCH is edified; unlike tongues that edifies ONLY THE SPEAKER.

My bro I've got one question for you.......

:::::::

Why was the gift of speaking in tongues given to the early christians??......we know before pentecost 33 c.e that gift was not available to servants of God.............why was it pertinent that that gift be given to the 1st century christians??....if we can get to the root of the reason for speaking in tongues in the first place then we can further find out if that gift is still needed today or wether persons who claim to speak in tongues today actually are filled with the holy spirit..........

Because all I see today is gibberish upon gibberish.....sorry to say that my bro............

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by christemmbassey(m): 10:33am On Feb 05, 2013
[quote author=frosbel][/quote]@Goshen, Frosbel et al, pls lets look at 1corinthians:1 - though i speak with the tongue of MEN and of ANGELS and have not love.........', (KJV) it is wrong to assume that speaking in tongues must be done only with 'known tongues'. @Goshen, tnx for that bible gateway site. Peace.this verse means that there are two types of tongues nanely 1. Tongues of MEN = known languages of diff nations/ppl used in church and 2. Tongues of ANGELS = unknown language of the Spirit used during personal fellowship with God. Peace.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 05, 2013
christemmbassey: @Goshen, Frosbel et al, pls lets look at 1corinthians:1 - though i speak with the tongue of MEN and of ANGELS and have not love.........', (KJV) it is wrong to assume that speaking in tongues must be done only with 'known tongues'. @Goshen, tnx for that bible gateway site. Peace.this verse means that there are two types of tongues nanely 1. Tongues of MEN = known languages of diff nations/ppl used in church and 2. Tongues of ANGELS = unknown language of the Spirit used during personal fellowship with God. Peace.

Hmmm, I am not sure about No.2

I and my family always pray in English, we can understand it and the children are edified because they can understand it as well and learn from it.

If I started praying in unknown tongues the people I am praying with will not understand and will not be edified in any way.

One key thing though, this tongues we are talking about is not the made up gibberish most people speak today, it is the tongues spoken when the Holy Spirit gives utterance to those praying in the spirit , and it has to come the same way that it did on Pentecost.

I am very skeptical about the tongues of angels but like I said to Goshen, further research needs to be done to be on the safe side ,though speaking in a language one can understand is far better.

Many years ago an occultist went to a church in South Africa and heard them speaking in tongues, he was shocked because the tongues were not of GOD but from the realm of the occult.

Test the spirits all the time.

Will be back smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by christemmbassey(m): 11:41am On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

I and my family always pray in English, we can understand it and the children are edified because they can understand it as well and learn from it.

If I started praying in unknown tongues the people I am praying with will not understand and will not be edified in any way.

One key thing though, this tongues we are talking about is not the made up gibberish most people speak today, it is the tongues spoken when the Holy Spirit gives utterance to those praying in the spirit , and it has to come the same way that it did on Pentecost.

I am very skeptical about the tongues of angels but like I said to Goshen, further research needs to be done to be on the safe side ,though speaking in a language one can understand is far better.

Many years ago an occultist went to a church in South Africa and heard them speaking in tongues, he was shocked because the tongues were not of GOD but from the realm of the occult.

Will be back smiley
@#2. I said during PERSONAL FELLOWSHIP, dont tell me you dont have personal fellowship or what some ppl called 'quiet time', this the time we normally 'tune-up' ourselves in the spirit. Peace
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Tgirl4real(f): 12:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

Tongues means languages and you cannot make it mean something else.

glóssa: the tongue, a language
Original Word: γλῶσσα, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: glóssa
Phonetic Spelling: (gloce-sah')
Short Definition: the tongue, a language, nation
Definition: the tongue, a language, a nation (usually distinguished by their speech)

This is the Lexicon definition of what tongues in the context of 1 Corinthians 14 and Acts 2 signifies.

I am sorry, but a lot of what people speak in the name of tongues today is gibberish and causes more hurt to the body.

I couldn't have agreed more. The only interpretation for the word "tongues" in d entire bible is language. How it can mean something else beats me.

My position is with Frosbel
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Tgirl4real(f): 12:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
christemmbassey: 2. Tongues of ANGELS = unknown language of the Spirit used during personal fellowship with God. Peace.

Lol

While would u speak in "a language of the spirit" during personal worship? Is it that God can't understand your human language during that time? grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
ijawkid:

My bro I've got one question for you.......

:::::::

Why was the gift of speaking in tongues given to the early christians??......we know before pentecost 33 c.e that gift was not available to servants of God.............why was it pertinent that that gift be given to the 1st century christians??....if we can get to the root of the reason for speaking in tongues in the first place then we can further find out if that gift is still needed today or wether persons who claim to speak in tongues today actually are filled with the holy spirit..........

Because all I see today is gibberish upon gibberish.....sorry to say that my bro............

The reason for speaking in (SIGN) tongues, given by the Holy Spirit to the early church was to spread the Gospel. That was a SIGN tongues. How can I speak "Ijaw" language to you assuming you've not heard the Gospel before if NOT for a sign (and wonders) by the Holy Spirit This is a language I would speak instantaneously in order to communicate the gospel. That is a SIGN tongues and you that I'm speaking to WILL UNDERSTAND IT CLEARLY BECAUSE IT WILL BE A KNOWN LANGUAGE.

2. The question you'll need to ask yourself is that, if that language is known and understood clearly; is it the same language when Paul said in verse 2 and 14 of 1 Corinthians 14 that the tongues spoken is NOT KNOWN NOR UNDERSTOOD BY MEN. If you can answer this simple question, maybe you will see or understand the difference.

3. Let's leave what non-sense is done in the churches today. That's simply an abuse of tongues not that PRAYING tongues is un-scriptural.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 1:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

Will be back smiley

This is exactly what I'm saying. Now, aside of English which is the general language you and your family pray with; I'm sure you still have your native language, maybe Igbo. Now, when someone like me visits your family and we start to pray or worship and you (Frosbel) start speaking or praying in Igbo language - I'm don't understand Igbo unless you interpret. Your Igbo speaking doesn't make any meaning to me but to you alone. The same analogy was used to draw conclusion by Apostle Paul. When you're speaking (or praying) in tongues in worship places and you can't interpret, that is NON-SENSE.

There's praying in spirit as the Spirit gives you utterances. You people call it gibberish and all sort of things. I do not argue that people these days aren't abusing things but doesn't mean there's no praying in the spirit when speaking to God. I will expand further on this thread maybe you, FROSBEL will receive the gift of praying in tongues via Online. cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Tgirl4real:

I couldn't have agreed more. The only interpretation for the word "tongues" in d entire bible is language. How it can mean something else beats me.

My position is with Frosbel

Tgirl4real sweerie, You also need the gift of praying in tongues. If you take side with Frosbel, you and Frosbel still can't tell us what verse 2 and 14 of I Corinthians 14 means. You guys should not despise the gift of the Spirit because it's being bastardized in Nigeria churches today. I'll be glad to lead you in ministration to receive the gift of praying in tongues.....if you don't mind. cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 2:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Lol

While would u speak in "a language of the spirit" during personal worship? Is it that God can't understand your human language during that time? grin

Yes, you can speak or pray in the spirit as the Spirit of God gives you utterance because of the following reasons:

New International Version (©1984)
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. - Romans 8:26

When you're led in the spirit to pray an intercession prayer and you do not know what to pray for, it is the Spirit that gives you utterance THAT WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS. You might be led to pray for someone and you don't know what is happening to such person. In such case, it is the Spirit that gives you utterance which WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS.

Then flip quickly to verse 14 of 1 Cor. 14, it says,

"For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying"

Parallel this verse with the Romans 8:26. What do you notice therein?
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
Goshen360:

There's praying in spirit as the Spirit gives you utterances. You people call it gibberish and all sort of things. I do not argue that people these days aren't abusing things but doesn't mean there's no praying in the spirit when speaking to God. I will expand further on this thread maybe you, FROSBEL will receive the gift of praying in tongues via Online. cool

I have been studying, and so far disagree.

"....as the Spirit gave them utterance" is the key phrase.

Let us hear what Paul had to say about this later in the chapter.

22 Tongues , then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers;

Tongues are a sign for unbelievers Paul said. In fact , in the book of Acts 2 , when Jews of every nation under the heavens heard these supposedly unlearned men speak in their own dialect, praising and glorifying GOD , they were simply amazed.

23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

1. Paul was not against speaking in other languages to glorify God
2. He was mainly concerned about those who could not understand these languages
3. This included both believers and unbelievers
4. Paul would rather we had interpreters who understood these languages so that the rest of the congregation would be edified and blessed by these utterances enabled by the Spirit of GOD.
5. To do otherwise will be creating confusion and God is not the author of confusion.

"Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean? Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine." - Acts 2;12-13

To speak in other tongues brought ridicule even when the Jews initially heard it, but to most, it brought amazement and a curiosity which enabled them to listen to the gospel and be saved.

Talk less of when no one can understand what you are saying.

26. When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

In v26. Paul emphasizes that it is better to have someone who can interpret a foreign language when the believers assemble for fellowship, if no one can understand this language , they should keep quiet.

I really cannot see any support throughout scripture for the speaking in , of strange mysterious languages which 99.9% of the time , no one can understand.

I am sorry, we have to disagree with this one bro.

I am still studying as we speak.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by ijawkid(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
Goshen360:

The reason for speaking in (SIGN) tongues, given by the Holy Spirit to the early church was to spread the Gospel. That was a SIGN tongues. How can I speak "Ijaw" language to you assuming you've not heard the Gospel before if NOT for a sign (and wonders) by the Holy Spirit This is a language I would speak instantaneously in order to communicate the gospel. That is a SIGN tongues and you that I'm speaking to WILL UNDERSTAND IT CLEARLY BECAUSE IT WILL BE A KNOWN LANGUAGE.
The bolded is correct.......are tongue speakers of today actually using that gift to spread the gospel as was intended??...........the early apostles could simultaneously spread the goodnews to persons of different nations and tribes .....what have acclaimed tongue speakers today accomplished with the gift if at all they have it.??...............I can boldly say NOTHING

Goshen360:

2. The question you'll need to ask yourself is that, if that language is known and understood clearly; is it the same language when Paul said in verse 2 and 14 of 1 Corinthians 14 that the tongues spoken is NOT KNOWN NOR UNDERSTOOD BY MEN. If you can answer this simple question, maybe you will see or understand the difference.
Frosbel gave a cool exegesis on those verses........if I am speaking in an unknown tongue unknown to men then I should do it in my room(where I would be with myself) or I must have an interpreter if it happens in the church so that I can upbuild the next fellow......

That is what I see many not do today........

remember we once had discussed this issue and I used the scriptures to show that these gifts are no longer available today as it was in the 1st century... ....the reason why it was poured on the apostles and early christians has seen its fulfillment...........we don't need the gift of speaking in tongues today....the goodnews has gone past Jerusalem.......everyone has heard the message in his or her language.....the bible has been translated into all existing languages(tongues).................what more do we need??.....LOVE is all we need...the remaining identifying mark of true christianity which exactly is lacking in todays christianity..............

1 corinthians 13:8-13
8 Love never fails. But where there are
prophecies, they will cease; where there are
tongues, they will be stilled; where there is
knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in
part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when
completeness comes, what is in part
disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like
a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a
child. When I became a man, I put the ways of
childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a
reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see
face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall
know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and
love. But the greatest of these is love.

What I see many do today fully shows that gift indeed has ceased....we don't need it.....

Goshen360:

3. Let's leave what non-sense is done in the churches today. That's simply an abuse of tongues not that PRAYING tongues is un-scriptural.

Let the persons who don't abuse it replicate what the apostles did to prove they still got the real power of the holy spirit in them by spreading the kingdom goodnews with tongues..........
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

I have been studying, and so far disagree.

"....as the Spirit gave them utterance" is the key phrase.

Let us hear what Paul had to say about this later in the chapter.

22 Tongues, then, are [size=20pt]a sign,[/size] not for believers but for unbelievers;

Tongues are a sign for unbelievers Paul said. In fact , in the book of Acts 2 , when Jews of every nation under the heavens heard these supposedly unlearned men speak in their own dialect, praising and glorifying GOD , they were simply amazed.

This confirms the truth I'm saying and parallel to the book of Acts that I called "SIGN" tongues. How do you explain if you, Frosbel being say an Igbo man just start speaking CHINESE language, in order to communicate the Gospel? That is SIGN and wonders, if you wish.
Re: Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way by Goshen360(m): 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
frosbel:

23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

1. Paul was not against speaking in other languages to glorify God
2. He was mainly concerned about those who could not understand these languages
3. This included both believers and unbelievers
4. Paul would rather we had interpreters who understood these languages so that the rest of the congregation would be edified and blessed by these utterances enabled by the Spirit of GOD.
5. To do otherwise will be creating confusion and God is not the author of confusion.

You're very correct here.

frosbel:

26. When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

In v26. Paul emphasizes that it is better to have someone who can interpret a foreign language when the believers assemble for fellowship, if no one can understand this language , [size=20pt]they should keep quiet.[/size]

Exactly the point I'm making. What we have in churches is pure non-sense and abuse of the PRAYING tongues IF NO ONE CAN INTERPRET OR THE SPEAKER himself INTERPRETS. Hence, speaking in tongues or praying in tongues WHICH NO ONE UNDERSTANDS (vs 2, 14) MUST BE DONE PRIVATELY, NOT IN CHURCHES, according to 1 Cor. 14:28 or the speaker keep quiet. Those who speak (or pray) in tongues in churches without interpretation are out of scriptural context and abuses the PRAYING tongues.

frosbel:

I really cannot see any support throughout scripture for the speaking in , of strange mysterious languages which 99.9% of the time , no one can understand.

I am sorry, we have to disagree with this one bro.

I am still studying as we speak.

There's scriptural verses for speaking or praying in tongues BUT NOT IN WORSHIP PLACES IF NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND OR INTERPRET. vs 2 and 14, I want it to sink into you. That's scripture for speaking or praying in tongues WHICH NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND - Again, not in churches when no one can understand or interpret. Shut up in churches when no one can understand or interpret but RATHER SPEAK OR PRAY PRIVATELY.

It's not whether we disagree or not, I love the way we're reasoning scriptures together. You need to understand there's a praying tongues which the Spirit gives as utterance and no one can understand even the person that speaks or prays by such tongues. vs 14.

Study more - I dey here with you. I will show you a video of abuse of tongues I'm talking about soon. Trying to get one from youtube soon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Jesus Really Say I Am God? / Do People Become Atheists Because They Want To Sin Without Guilt? / A Message To Atheists And God Mockers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 270
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.