Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

American Visa Interview - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American Visa Interview (64476 Views)

Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / Guys Share Ur Us Visa Interview Here / American Visa Lottery (dv- 2009) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

American Visa Interview by uchchu: 11:48am On Mar 09, 2008
I applied for an American visa online and my interview in about 2weeks to the day am supposed to travel.
Can I still get the visa. Do they issue the visa immediately after the interview.
if one is refused visa, is the denial stamped on one's passport?
Re: American Visa Interview by kenflipper(m): 3:54pm On Mar 09, 2008
Yes! you can be issued the visa if you pass the interview. It takes 2 to 3 days or at most a week. And that is if no red flags were raised from your passport. Red flags are capable of putting you on security check which could cos' the embassy to stamp "Pending" on your passports, and then you are placed under security check which could last from 3months to GOD knows when!, I had a friend who has been on security check for 2yrs now. Red flags are raised when your passport is shown to have visited 2 or more countries in a very limited time! that raises curiosity from the consul Remember to always look at your interviewer in the eyes directly and your head firmly upwards. It is believe that if you look to the right or left you could be lieing, and incase you dont know the issuance of your visa both depends on the mood of the officer, your presentation of documents and how you answer the questions. And if you are refused the visa your passport will be stamped! i m not sure if it is stamped denial or Seen. I have not had that experience with anyone yet.
However you can change the mood of the officer if he or she is having a bad hair day!!! If you wanna know how ask and i'll tell you directly from my personal experience. GOOD LUCK!!!

2 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by elctroguru(m): 4:21pm On Mar 09, 2008
I hope you are not applying for a student visa because if u're, then forget about the Visa. The US embassy only issue visa mostly for post Graduate students who has traveled to other countries and also has very strong ties to nigeria e.g their family, assurance of a job after studying in the US and other valuable assets. At least you must show that you are comming back to Nigeria after the completion of their studies in the US.
But if you are young and an undergraduate, u'll encounter a lot of difficulties with the consular.
na only God Fit Save you oooooooooo

On ur enquiries, student visa interview is always on Tues and weds. If you are granted visa, u'll be told to come back on friday and pick it up. You can even send your family member or friend to come pick it up for you.
Asumming If your visa is denied, u'll can reapply wenever you want but they will advice you to apply when your economic situation has changed and that will be after 6 months, then you can reapply.
If you are not a 419 guy or with any false document, the consular wont tamper with your passport,
You must be at the visa gate by 6:00 am if you wanna leave early. Try and wear a nice thick jacket cos its always cold in there.
Good Luck
Re: American Visa Interview by uchchu: 4:49pm On Mar 09, 2008
going for a conference.
Re: American Visa Interview by smile4kenn(m): 8:53pm On Mar 09, 2008
if you are going for a conference, then forget it

1 Like

Re: American Visa Interview by uchchu: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2008
why?
Re: American Visa Interview by Dantecmu(m): 6:03am On Mar 10, 2008
smile4kenn:

if you are going for a conference, then forget it

Look if your Going for a Conference and it is genuine and you do have sufficient materials to prove that it is genuine i don't mean paper evidence. Then you do stand a chance but if you trying to go for a conference that has nothing to do with your life or your field then you stand a chance of being rejected that i can assure you.

ciao
Re: American Visa Interview by jookco(m): 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2008
If your papers are okey it's the best Interview you will have compare to other embassies
Re: American Visa Interview by elctroguru(m): 10:52pm On Mar 10, 2008
Pappers ok or not, Consulars dont usu check ur pappers like wat you guys think. They just skip tru it but the decision is already on their mind. They will just ask u few ques and then tell u that ' I am sorry, I Cant issue you the VISA due to the reason under section ,
So sha, God will help you but dont put your whole mind on that stuff cos those ppl are Pshyco and they are mad, LOL
Well, I no fit blame them sha, Na everybody wan go US, Lets try and build 9ja ooo. It begins with you and me.
One Luv,
Good Luck Uchchu

2 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by ernal(m): 7:18pm On Mar 11, 2008
ken can u share your story and also dont be discourage US Consular do give undergraduate,transfer and master student,and please know more about the schools you applied,the US embassy dont expect you tell them u applied just for 1 schools and again take teh little advise on here and demonstrate a little tie to home, Bon Voyage grin
Re: American Visa Interview by elctroguru(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2008
@ ernal

I dont think u've ever been to US embassy, If you have, then u wont encourage him at all, You said US Consular do give visa to undergraduate,transfer and master student, Do u know how many ppl they issue visa for. maybe out of 100 applicants, they'll hardly issue 5 student visa. Dont you know all non- immigrant are intending immigrant. you have to confuse the consular that you are not going there for their green card or to stay their and earn money. thats the hardest part, Us embassy is a Crap. iF YOU wanna study, just try carribean, UK and other Eu countries instead of US.
dont waste your money on US non - Immigrant visa like Student visa (esp F1 visa) and others,
They go just they chop your $100 visa application fee YUM YUM, grin
Re: American Visa Interview by dafman(m): 11:37pm On Mar 11, 2008
I just finished my bachelor's in Nigeria when I applied for my student visa for masters here in the U.S, I had never travelled out of Nigeria yet I was given the visa with little questions asked. Maybe I was lucky, but you never know until you try.

4 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by kenflipper(m): 4:09am On Mar 12, 2008
I will share this experience, but pls dont take it for granted!!!

If you are a man pray that your interviewer be a woman and if you are a woman pray that your interviewer be a man. It is easier to impress the opposite sex than to impress same sex during interview!!!, Make sure that you smell good. It doesnt matter what kind of visa you are applying for. If you are refused then it means you didnt do your home work well, or your answers were just not impressive. When i had my interview, my interviewer was a woman. I packaged myself like sardine all documents in the right places for easy access. I had more than enough docs. But only gave out wht was requested.
Besides that i had a powerful perfume BLACK XS! Yes tho u guys might think it sounds wack!, but it work in my case. I applied enough on my body to go through the porous glass of the embassy. Even while i was sitting my perfume was at work. It has a surgar smell that can cause excitement and calm nerves. So if your interviewer was having a bad day, it can calm his/her nerves and cause some excitements. When i stood for my interview, first! i got a warm smile from my female interviewer but because the smile came before she even looked at my documents, i didnt return it back.
I kept still wit eyes focused on her.

Then she requested specific docs which i handed in. I was a visit visa applicant.
She asked what i did for a living?, I replied
She asked me what my cousin's phone number & address in the USA were and what he did for a living?, i replied!
She ask why i wanted to go to the USA and what i would do during my stay?, i replied!
She ask if i would work during my stay?, i replied!, said not without authority from USCIS.
She asked me if i would return back after the visit!!!, I replied!
She asked when i would be going if approved, i said 2days after getting the visa, she smile again and said OK. i'm going to approve you and just when she was about signing on my form approved she asked for my cousin's tax , i scrambble thro my docs and gave it to her, she looked thro' nodded and that was it i got a 2yrs multi-visa.
That was when i finally smile back as i was arranging my docs back in my file, she asked me what perfume i was wearing and i gladly said "BLACK XS" nice she said,
That was when i knew i didnt just pass the interview i did it wit the power of my perf. My cousin is a doctor in the USA and we discussed extensively before the interview. It was his idea and he sent me the perfume.

Anyone wanting to use this perfume shouldnt go and buy Chinese made make sure its original, the original can last for 2days after wearing. If you are a woman try JLO perfume, and Share ur experience!

Now using a perfume like me doesnt exempt you from doing your home work and having neccessary docs. Or answering question correctly it gives you an edge wit ur interviewer!!!, Just incase he/she was already having a bad day.

3 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by almondjoy(f): 1:14pm On Mar 12, 2008
My parents just got their immigrant visas approved and have scheduled interviews in Lagos sometime in the future.  I hope they do not give them wahala oooooooooooooh.  Anyone filed for their mom and pops recently? undecided  I have some friends who have done that and different stories here and there. . . .including DNA requirements for some suspicious cases. I have a list of the requirements they want and will just have to hope for the best since I am not going to be there.

Thank God. . . .this will really eliminate the hassles of renewing visas every 2 years for multiple entries. smiley Thank God I say. kiss
Re: American Visa Interview by buzzgonz(m): 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2008
AJ, Where is Agenegbode in U.S.A? undecided by the way where re u now?
Re: American Visa Interview by almondjoy(f): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2008
Buzzy,

Agenegbode. . . .Nigeria

Nevada. . . . .USA

cheesy

My two homes!
Re: American Visa Interview by akp: 6:53pm On Mar 12, 2008
almondjoy,\
Hi pls i need your candid advice on this.

I just got my immigrant visa approved in January.

The letter says that i should wait 90days for them to contact me.

What is d interview like wat are the things they require, pls help me to prepare!

Thanks
Re: American Visa Interview by ernal(m): 2:50am On Mar 13, 2008
@elctroguru

Honestly it isnt that bad,as long as you a genuie student even if them refuse you,re-apply within time b4 ur admission,you will get it,i have lot of people who gotten undergraduate,transfers and master Visa, so let everyone follow his dreams and just geta ccess to information before your interview date.Good Bless
Re: American Visa Interview by TheSly: 3:40am On Mar 13, 2008
maybe out of 100 applicants, they'll hardly issue 5 student visa

He could as well be among the 5 that would be given the visa. . . u never can tell
Impossible is nothing. . . . . .The Americans are very smart and crazy. . .
I know someone. . . he/she's been to like 10different countries in Europe. . .
And finally decided to go study in the US. . .But he/she got stomped for ''who knows what''?
Err documents were genuine with enough cash that would last him/her throughout his/her stay. . . .
But no. . .They denied him/her with sum spastic reason until she/he decided to go study in UK which the visa was granted with ease!!

Another one
She applied for about 4times but all attempt was futile. . . .
But al last!!!!!!!!! she was finally granted the Visa to go study petrochemical engr. in the US. . .
It was a very tough war for her but with the help of prayers and fasting. .she got it at the end of the day!!. . . .

Finally. . . . .Its not over until its over. . . Nothing is impossible. . . .
That is why i love to always explore new things. . . .If u apply and u were eventually denied. .
U would at least have gained sum experience thru that!!

''One who knows not and asks to know is only a fool for 5sec.
But one who knows not and ask not remains a fool forever''

Do your thing and pray and i believe at the end of the day. . . .u will smile out of the embassy cool
Good luck all the way homeboy!!!!!! cool
Re: American Visa Interview by Tegese: 12:03pm On Mar 13, 2008
kenflipper:

I will share this experience, but please don't take it for granted!!!

If you are a man pray that your interviewer be a woman and if you are a woman pray that your interviewer be a man. It is easier to impress the opposite sex than to impress same sex during interview!!!, Make sure that you smell good. It doesnt matter what kind of visa you are applying for. If you are refused then it means you didnt do your home work well, or your answers were just not impressive. When i had my interview, my interviewer was a woman. I packaged myself like sardine all documents in the right places for easy access. I had more than enough docs. But only gave out wht was requested.
Besides that i had a powerful perfume BLACK XS! Yes tho u guys might think it sounds wack!, but it work in my case. I applied enough on my body to go through the porous glass of the embassy. Even while i was sitting my perfume was at work. It has a surgar smell that can cause excitement and calm nerves. So if your interviewer was having a bad day, it can calm his/her nerves and cause some excitements. When i stood for my interview, first! i got a warm smile from my female interviewer but because the smile came before she even looked at my documents, i didnt return it back.
I kept still wit eyes focused on her.

Then she requested specific docs which i handed in. I was a visit visa applicant.
She asked what i did for a living?, I replied
She asked me what my cousin's phone number & address in the USA were and what he did for a living?, i replied!
She ask why i wanted to go to the USA and what i would do during my stay?, i replied!
She ask if i would work during my stay?, i replied!, said not without authority from USCIS.
She asked me if i would return back after the visit!!!, I replied!
She asked when i would be going if approved, i said 2days after getting the visa, she smile again and said OK. i'm going to approve you and just when she was about signing on my form approved she asked for my cousin's tax , i scrambble thro my docs and gave it to her, she looked thro' nodded and that was it i got a 2yrs multi-visa.
That was when i finally smile back as i was arranging my docs back in my file, she asked me what perfume i was wearing and i gladly said "BLACK XS" nice she said,
That was when i knew i didnt just pass the interview i did it wit the power of my perf. My cousin is a doctor in the USA and we discussed extensively before the interview. It was his idea and he sent me the perfume.

Anyone wanting to use this perfume shouldnt go and buy Chinese made make sure its original, the original can last for 2days after wearing. If you are a woman try JLO perfume, and Share your experience!

Now using a perfume like me doesnt exempt you from doing your home work and having neccessary docs. Or answering question correctly it gives you an edge wit your interviewer!!!, Just incase he/she was already having a bad day.

@ kenflipper
na black-magic-charm perfume? which native doc prepare am for you wink instead of you to dey thank your God, you dey give the glory to your perfume

9 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by ty4real(m): 5:05pm On Mar 13, 2008
Tegese:

@ kenflipper
na black-magic-charm perfume? which native doc prepare am for you wink instead of you to dey thank your God, you dey give the glory to your perfume

Hes just talking about personal branding,appearance,9jas have a culture of not paying attention to their appearance and how they smell!So its not like the guy i sgiving the parise to charms at least he mentioned the name of the perf!I think you need to get one when you smell good and you have God the whole world will be at your feet mate! wink
Re: American Visa Interview by algood(f): 6:53pm On Mar 13, 2008
Going for a seminar, well to be candid with you, u have a 50/50 chance. its a either yes or No.

There is no crime in trying.

Document doesnt really matter at the america embassy, sometimes u might not even spend up to 1 min and the consular will tell you sorry , not qualify for a non imigrant visa.
The truth of the matter is , pray very hard, if you have to fast, please do so.

I will also advice you to go early, so as to go in on time, in the morning time there brain is still fresh and not yet upset for un forseen reasons, also they might still have not exceed there quota for the day.

I will also advice you to look staight into the eyes of the consular , answer the question u are asked, dont jump or start telling stories.

Try and make the interview a lively one.

From my personal experience, the first time i went i was denied visa, that was my first time of apearing at an embassy, am going on F2,
the lady asked me just four questions and said i am not qualified.

the next time i went, which was last yr Nov. i got the same visa i was denied, not just only me with my two kids

i wasnt expecting to get it, i just went with all my documents, simple outfit but looking good and very attractive.

i spent roughly an hour with the consular officer, from one question to another, picked me on my last time question, ask me when i got pregnant, when did my husband come, when did i have my baby, even my husband visa has expire, i was bold calm and was discussing with her, the atmosphere was tensed but God helped me to be able to change the mood that we even chat and laugh. at the end of the day she gave me. am in Us now.

There is nothing impossible, one thing i believe his out of all aplicant going for interview some people will be given and some will be denied. Do your home work well , if the conference is in your field, ur company or someone is sponsoring you, its possible but if no one is sponsoring you, u are going on your own.My dear pray for miracle to happen.

2 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by ayinba1(f): 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2008
@ Go with faith in God. I know a number of people here (US) today who came in on conference shortly after 9-11, I wish you well. I also know a lot of people, young and old that have been denied. Please let us know how it went.
Good luck
Re: American Visa Interview by ernal(m): 8:00pm On Mar 16, 2008
the thread is getting richer,any more experience will be appreciate to help at least know what a first timer is to expect,mostly student visa experiences will be welcome too, cheers
Re: American Visa Interview by TheSly: 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2008

na black-magic-charm perfume? which native doc prepare am for you Wink instead of you to dey thank your God, you dey give the glory to your perfume
Lol . . . . . .right!
Re: American Visa Interview by NWAEZEG(f): 1:06am On Mar 18, 2008
Hello,
I once travelled to America through such conference. Am a young lady intervied by a young lady also. Infact i got there 45mins late the lady was about closing for the  time when i came in.  I dressed well in a good African atire. Infact that caught her attention she started by admiring all i wore. After  she asked me my reason of travelling  with the letter, enough documents to back it up and my statement of account which was heavy my visa was issued without hassles.  But I must confess that I really prayed and fasted for days b/4 appearing at the intervview.  Just pray and trust God He will do it for u. Also be sure the conference is real because they might verify if not in naija it might at the port of entry when u get the visa. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: American Visa Interview by tpia: 3:18am On Mar 18, 2008
kenflipper and his perfume. grin grin

lol.

lets assume you also looked very good as well. With impressive documents.
Re: American Visa Interview by almondjoy(f): 1:49pm On Mar 18, 2008
akp:

almondjoy,\
Hi please i need your candid advice on this.

I just got my immigrant visa approved in January.

The letter says that i should wait 90days for them to contact me.

What is d interview like what are the things they require, please help me to prepare!

Thanks

Here is a link that they provided me with.  Hope it helps. If the link has problems, try some other. I don't know why they would ask you to wait for 90 days with an approved petition. The interviews are pretty straight forward over here. I do not know about Nigeria and the consulate's requirement over there. Just make sure whatever information you used in all your forms are the same information you will present when asked again at the interview. The reason most people are denied is discrepancies in applications. Make sure all your answers are all the same. . . . especially age and birth dates!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1335.html

Goodluck!
Re: American Visa Interview by princeonx: 2:30pm On Mar 18, 2008
The 90days wait is correct but you should get an interview date before then. They just approved my mum's immigrant visa and that was the same thing they said on the approval letter!
Re: American Visa Interview by akp: 6:50pm On Mar 20, 2008
Please how do i get interview date.

My sister received her approval in July last year but has since not been contacted even after the expiration of the

90days, neither has she gotten any interview date.

Is anytin wrong?
Re: American Visa Interview by almondjoy(f): 6:12am On Mar 21, 2008
akp:

Please how do i get interview date.

My sister received her approval in July last year but has since not been contacted even after the expiration of the

90days, neither has she gotten any interview date.

Is anytin wrong?

Your sister needs to call the National Visa Center in the US

United States Department of State
National Visa Center
32 Rochester Avenue
Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909

Or call,

1-800-375-5283

Calling from Nigeria can take a long wait time and you risk being disconnected. Tell a relative or friend to make the enquiries for you or use their website to find out what you need.

Goodluck!
Re: American Visa Interview by Fadar(m): 6:25am On Mar 21, 2008
The worst enemy of progress is fear of failure, and if you don't believe in God, you'll always fear,
I have nobody here, i just prayed on the day of my interview and that was it, so many people were
denied, some of them with the best perfume on their body, but i was favored,
They don't stamp refusal anymore, but all your informations will be typed into their system together with
all your 10 fingerprints, if you are denied, make sure you don't forget any of the information you gave because
next time, as soon as you give your fingerprint, they will ask you the same questions to know if you are truthful,
and if you mix things up, only God will save you, they hate lies.
Remember, Abuja is a virgin ground, there's a 60% chance of success in Abuja, than Lagos.
In Abuja, every applicant is seen as a son or daughter of a big wig and since there is fewer applicant, you have enough time
to present your case. GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL.

3 Likes

(1) (2)

Re-issue Of Nigerian E-passport / Snow Capped Akampka Mountains And Mount Cameroon Visible From Calabar (photos) / My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.