Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

President Thomas Jefferson's Letter To James Smith 1822 On Unitarianism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / President Thomas Jefferson's Letter To James Smith 1822 On Unitarianism (682 Views)

Counterfeit Gods By Jefferson Bethke (poetry) / Michael Thomas-Sambo Divine Revelation Of Hell / Real Image Of King James Of KJV1611 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

President Thomas Jefferson's Letter To James Smith 1822 On Unitarianism by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
Here is Jefferson's letter to James Smith written in 1822:

"I have to thank you for your pamphlets on the subject of Unitarianism, and to express my gratification with your efforts for the revival of primitive Christianity in your quarter. No historical fact is better established, than that the doctrine of one God, pure and uncompounded [i.e. not three persons in one God], was that of the early ages of Christianity; and was one of the most efficacious doctrines which gave it triumph over the polytheism of the ancients, sickened with the absurdities of their own theology.

Nor was the unity of the Supreme Being ousted by the force of reason, but by the sword of civil government, wielded at the will of the fanatic Athanasius. The hocus-pocus phantasm of a God like another Cerberus, with one body and three heads, had its birth and growth in the blood of thousands and thousands of martyrs.

And a strong proof of the solidity of the primitive faith, is its restoration, as soon as a nation arises which vindicates to itself the freedom of religion opinion, and its external divorce from the civil authority. The pure and simple unity of the Creator of the universe is all but ascendant in the eastern states; it is dawning in the west, and advancing towards the south; and I confidently expect that the present generation will see Unitarianism become the general religion of the United States."

Source

1 Like

Re: President Thomas Jefferson's Letter To James Smith 1822 On Unitarianism by nlMediator: 2:46am On Feb 06, 2013
What am I missing here? You open a thread on how America was not founded by christians and here you are getting spiritual advice from one of the founding fathers - one notoriously known for not being a christian or even a theist? I hope you do not live in ConfusionVille.

(1) (Reply)

Foolishness And The Church / This Sunday's Homily / World’s First Gay Bible: Includeschapter And Verses That Promote Samesex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.