Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,149 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada (24654 Views)

Former Peter Odili's Aide Dies In Fire Inside His Room (Very Graphic Photo) / Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada / Bride Dies In An Accident On Her Way To Church For Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 06, 2013
Stewie the Cat, the longest domestic cat in the world at more than 4 feet long from nose to tail, has died.

Stewie was surrounded by family when he succumbed to a yearlong battle with cancer Monday evening at his Reno home, owner Robin Hendrickson said Tuesday. He was 8.

Guinness World Records declared Stewie the record-holder in August 2010, measuring 48.5 inches from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail.

Hundreds of fans flooded Stewie's Facebook site with memories and condolences Tuesday. The Maine Coon cat was a certified therapy animal that frequently visited a Reno senior center and helped promote animal welfare awareness with the Nevada Humane Society.

"Stewie was always very social and loved meeting new people," Hendrickson said. "He has touched many lives, and for that I am grateful."

Stewie's full name was Mymains Stewart Gilligan. Hendrickson bought him from a breeder in Hermiston, Oregon, in 2005. Last month, he attended the International Cat Show in Portland, Oregon.

"He did really well at the show, even though he wasn't feeling totally perfect," said Stewie's breeder, Valerie Horton, who also serves as the show's entry clerk. "He loved being there because he loved the public. He always did."

Horton said Maine Coons are the largest domestic breed of cats. She's been raising them since 1980.

"It's the luck of the draw," Horton said. "We mostly breed for type and temperament, and then hope for the size. Stewie's father came from some very large cats."

Guinness World Records officials did not immediately respond to inquiries about a successor to Stewie's record. The previous record-holder, Leo, a 48-inch-long Maine Coon owned by Frieda Ireland of Chicago, died several years ago.

Stewie was diagnosed in early 2012 with Lymphosarcoma, a malignant disease of the lymphoid tissues. He responded successfully to chemotherapy and was declared cancer-free, but the remission period was brief, and a vet recently found another, more aggressive tumor on his kidneys, Hendrickson said.

"I knew that although we could fight it, the end was near and so I wanted to simply make him comfortable and let him enjoy the time he did have," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/stewie-worlds-longest-cat-dies-nevada-194526036.html

http://www.gidicity01..com/2013/02/worlds-longest-cat-dies-of-cancer.html#more

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by kelsonpoint(m): 8:33pm On Feb 06, 2013
This is awesome grin
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by jericco1(m): 8:36pm On Feb 06, 2013
Oyibo can keep stupid record.......

10 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by augustineokosu: 8:37pm On Feb 06, 2013
how do they no the cat is the largest cat?

2 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by solinho(m): 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
3rd to comment. dancing alingo in the kitchen. wat a cat
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by PrinceNN(m): 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2013

15 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Lakayana: 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
Wetin happen where those people wen like to carry 1st dem no like cats most of them no know wetin the story dey all about dem just wan be 1st
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by pearl360(f): 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
The cat even has a facebook account.... Na wa o!
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by valdubem(m): 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
I hate cats. cats are witches!

2 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by eriegua83: 8:40pm On Feb 06, 2013
Na wa oh! Cats self get cancer come even go for chemo. Oyibo. We never diagonise humans finish he come be animals.

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Yvete(f): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2013
Singing ... ♫ ♬ Come and see American wonder! ♫ ♬

...They said that the cat touched many lives?? shocked

8 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by TableLeg(m): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2013
Stewie, rot in hell!

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by gen2briz(m): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2013
Since story don finish for naija, na Nevada story remain abi. ok no problem. ....anyway RIP cat

But sorry wetin be the summary of the whole tory
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
augustine okosu: how do they no the cat is the largest cat?

Because it was OFFICIALLY recognised by Guinness World Record.
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
val_dubem: I hate cats. cats are witches!
I was expecting this comment from a. Nairalander grin. I don't like cats too
My aunty's cat is longer than stewie na...the dude is like 4ft 5.

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by eyez02: 8:46pm On Feb 06, 2013
Hian Chim, so its a CAT de r nw payin condolences to, nawa o, big man big trouble sha, in naija here lots of cancer patients die daily cos of poverty bt this cat has gone thru chemotherapy n d owner is even willing 2 spend more, if I hear say ds 1 happen 4 naija, even d vet doc go tel d owner seh it isn't worth it mk dem jst leave d cat 2 die.

Anyway since it has a world record na celeb e be sha.

RIP stewie grin

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by GentleNaaz(m): 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2013
Is high time, i stopped visitn NL. Lik Anambra people wl say "Lubbish" news

2 Likes

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by xynerise: 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2013
The cat is not even as long as Mama Kafayat in her cat form undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by vislabraye(m): 8:53pm On Feb 06, 2013
Cat having cancer Wetin dem feed the cat with? Oyibo people for kuku leave the cat to grow naturallly

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
which kind name be this?
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by yuzedo: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
xynerise: The cat is not even as long as Mama Kafayat in her cat form undecided
grin grin
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by somegirl1: 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2013
augustine okosu: how do they no the cat is the largest cat?

longest
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by andyanders: 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2013
val_dubem: I hate cats. cats are witches!

My brodaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Na waooooooooo sickness for animal wey be witch

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by 80million1: 8:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
*speechless*

Meanwhile Burkina Faso has scored against Ghana. It's now 1*1
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by HoleDigga(m): 8:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
Viz cat aint gonna get spine. . . . .
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by shadrach77: 8:59pm On Feb 06, 2013
if na 9ja, stewie would probably end up in someone's stew grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by NoQualms1(f): 9:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
Oshisko. The cat even get full names, taa
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by charlsecy4(m): 9:16pm On Feb 06, 2013
Such a long cat.....
I love birds, cats and dogs....
Re: Stewie, The World's Longest Cat, Dies In Nevada by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nna mehn..dis pple for obodo oyibo no go kill pesin o with all their yeye record wey dem dey keep...r.i.p kitten cat...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tajudeen Alabi, NULGE Chairman Burnt To Death As Fire Razed Shops In Ikire / Boko Haram Pesticide In The Market / Which Of These Annoying Moments Have You Had?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.