Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions (4484 Views)

El Rufai Has Been Quiet About The Nigerian Military Victory Over Boko Haram / Tambuwal Has No Regrets For Praising The Opposition / El-Rufai Has A Case To Answer - Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 07, 2013
ABUJA—Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has said he had  no regrets whatsoever for the spate of demolition of buildings in the city during his tenure as minister, which left many families stranded and unable to regain their balance till date.

In his new book, “Accidental Public Servant” due for presentation in Abuja today, El-Rufai also explained why he quit the ruling People’s Democratic Party, PDP, in 2010, saying the party had lost focus and direction.

Quitting PDP

“As I say to anyone who cares to ask why I decided to leave the PDP in 2010, it was because the party had evolved within four years into a totally different party-more toxic, self-centred and controlled by a tiny clique of morally-flexible people,” the former minister stated.

Sounding unapologetic over his tenure, which led to the demolition of no fewer than 200 buildings in the FCT and thousands in the satellite towns, the former minister maintained that he had to take drastic actions to save Abuja from being turned into a slum by influential persons in the corridors of power.

el-Rufai
The former minister said in the 627-page book:  “For me restoring order in the chaos that we found in many aspect of living in Abuja at the time, was simply consistent with my personal philosophy in life, a preference for rules and orderliness- a burden that I needed to discharge personally so I could sleep well at night.

“It was without question worth giving four years of my life pursuing. Therefore, I have no regrets for attempting to do what we did. We did what we believed was right at the time.”

Dislodging the cabal

El-Rufai said he was able to dislodge the cabal distorting the Abuja Master plan and using land allocations to enrich themselves at the expense of the country and its people.

According to him, the rich and powerful elements in the military and politics, who had cornered choice plots in the city through the backdoor, were more interested in trading with the plots for higher profits rather than building on the land, which had stipulated timeframe.

He admitted, “I love Abuja and gave nearly four years of my life to its restoration, orderliness and development.

Obasanjo’s love for Abuja

“I was able to do my assignment because Obasanjo, who appointed me minister, considered Abuja as his own child and supported me as his son for the FCT assignment and up to this point in time, I have not disappointed him,” he explained.

The author noted that he had to urgently deal with the rot that was fast creeping into the capital city not minding whose ox was gored, because of his firm belief that anyone in leadership position had no alternative than doing what was right for its own sake.

El-Rufai explained that it was his honesty that convinced him to demolish the house of the then PDP national chairman, Senator Ahmadu Ali, without caring a hoot.

He pointed out that given his closeness to the former chairman he would have overlooked the infraction committed by him and spared his building in Asokoro District, which was sitting on a sewage line.

The former minister regretted that it would not have been possible under the PDP of today to pull down the house of its national chairman, saying that the current situation was a setback to the country.

He asked rhetorically: “Is it possible in the PDP of 2010, I always ask, for any minister of the FCT to take down a building owned by the chairman of the ruling party? “No way”-virtually everyone would respond.

“However, we did what we did, life continued like nothing had happened as it should. Rules should apply to everyone without fear or favour.”

El-Rufai noted that his actions were premised on the public good, saying that his conscience had not pricked him in anyway even after leaving office.

The Congress for Progress Change big wig stated that the actions he took were premised on certain lessons, which Nigerians should learn and reflect on them so as to move forward.

As he puts it, ‘’it is posterity in this life, and the Almighty God in the next that will ultimately judge our decisions and actions and not those timorous souls too quick to render opinions based on the short term.

“Finally, there is an important message for the discerning arising from the corrective actions we took. It would teach a lesson that although a ‘big man’ may presume to have clout to violate the regulations of today but sooner than later, the law would catch up with him and often at a greater cost,” he warned.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/no-regrets-over-abuja-demolitions-el-rufai
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by NoContract(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2013
[size=14pt]No comments, 13 views, and this hits the front page.

Welcome to the new NAIRALAND V.2.2.9.1
[/size]

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by tunapawizzy: 9:17am On Feb 07, 2013
ok
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 07, 2013
It's a good thing he did oh! And that is one thing about Change. It doesn't favor everyone but the majority are pleased.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by akorlade(m): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2013
SORRY IT WAS A FAILED PROJECT
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by 9icest: 9:22am On Feb 07, 2013
Dis Aboki wont stop digging more holes for him....Anyways, its so ironic to see the same PDP he demolished lots of peasants properties for abandoning him...Serves him right.

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by GARRIx7(m): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2013
he had to take drastic actions to save Abuja from being turned into a slum by influential persons in the corridors of power

Exactly!!

A surgical operation is painful, but beneficial in the long term.

You did a Good job sir!!!

Still on 4th sha, no time for nonsense!!

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Delafruita(m): 9:39am On Feb 07, 2013
9icest: Dis Aboki wont stop digging more holes for him....Anyways, its so ironic to see the same PDP he demolished lots of peasants properties for abandoning him...Serves him right.

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

he didnt demolish for PDP,he demolished to restore the abuja masterplan which is the desire of all nigerians
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by theripper2: 9:48am On Feb 07, 2013
What of d lands he allotted to his concubines and family members? Was it part of the grand plan to make Abuja look like dubai too?

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Eltonluigi(m): 9:48am On Feb 07, 2013
Ist page!
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by usayab(m): 10:07am On Feb 07, 2013
El-Rufai, Na u try pass!
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by gen2briz(m): 10:09am On Feb 07, 2013
How e go regret, since him family members no dey
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Tolexander: 10:15am On Feb 07, 2013
At least, he tried his best as the minister then.
Wondering why he has become garrulous and self praising all because of 2015.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Scarpon(m): 10:30am On Feb 07, 2013
thunder fire u. u demolished my 2story building and says no worrys n.a. god go judge u el rufia
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Lordwize(m): 10:40am On Feb 07, 2013
It's not destroying PDP chairman house that is the problem, he had more than enough in the same Abuja. My concerns, is people d@ lost their lives, families d@ suffered pains. People were suppose to be rehabilitated or better still compensated to relieve them of some pains, instead of bragging about what was done right or not.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by HAH: 10:42am On Feb 07, 2013
Any body that criticizes El rufai on the demolition in fct is either among those who violate the plan or were not in Abuja then.

For those of us that were here all we say is thank you Nasiru because if not Abuja must have been turned to mega slum by now.

Wuse market was the most unorganised market, all the street were full of makeshift containers in the guise of shops.

Nasiru gave us parks to relax on green lawns in every district.

Nasiru policy of owner occupier made a lot of low and middle income earners be house owners in Abuja.

El rufai started allocation of land for mass housing estate in Abuja e.g prince and princess, efab, suncity, sunnyvale etc

You brought quality mass buses to transport the teeming poor population in satelite towns.

Thank you NASIRU AHMED EL RUFAI

5 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by BeraBera(f): 11:12am On Feb 07, 2013
Well, well, well, it's good a thing he demolished structures that infringed on the Abuja master plan and brought sanity in the appearance of the FCT; but the area which Nigerians especially FCT residents are not happy with him is in the area of re-allocating some lands to his friends, familiy members and political associates, and the untold hardships he metted out on the masses during the demolition.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Ebestsmscom: 11:12am On Feb 07, 2013
Kudos El-Rufai
Any bad mouth cool
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by idirect(m): 11:25am On Feb 07, 2013
BEST FCT MINISTER SO FAR.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Adurangba(f): 11:35am On Feb 07, 2013
HAH: Any body that criticizes El rufai on the demolition in fct is either among those who violate the plan or were not in Abuja then.

For those of us that were here all we say is thank you Nasiru because if not Abuja must have been turned to mega slum by now.

Wuse market was the most unorganised market, all the street were full of makeshift containers in the guise of shops.

Nasiru gave us parks to relax on green lawns in every district.

Nasiru policy of owner occupier made a lot of low and middle income earners be house owners in Abuja.

El rufai started allocation of land for mass housing estate in Abuja e.g prince and princess, efab, suncity, sunnyvale etc

You brought quality mass buses to transport the teeming poor population in satelite towns.

Thank you NASIRU AHMED EL RUFAI

Wuse market is not supposed to be there. Its a school in the Master plan. Why did he not demolish it?

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Aladdin1(m): 11:37am On Feb 07, 2013
The book would be full of lies and cheap blackmail judging from what has being filtering through it. Its nothing but the rantings of a frustuated power hungry deranged religious blasphemer.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Walexz02(m): 12:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
Lordwize: It's not destroying PDP chairman house that is the problem, he had more than enough in the same Abuja. My concerns, is people d@ lost their lives, families d@ suffered pains. People were suppose to be rehabilitated or better still compensated to relieve them of some pains, instead of bragging about what was done right or not.
Why should government compesate u while u violate the land law. Have u ever owned a land? I guess no. Coz if u do u would knw dt any body dt builds on a government land aready knws he is living their temporarily.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by pobosky20(m): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2013
[quote author=9icest]Dis Aboki wont stop digging more holes for him....Anyways, its so ironic to see the same PDP he demolished lots of peasants properties for abandoning him...

Ur type no like change!! Most of d things(infrastrures,etc) u see in d fct r Rufai's legacies. That man too try. Forget d wrongs he did,d man try pass
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by brownlord: 1:44pm On Feb 07, 2013
this aboki still remain the only minister FCT ever had, e only problem be say, em just too talk,

But who is SEN. Bala Muhammed, where em dey work?
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
Lordwize: It's not destroying PDP chairman house that is the problem, he had more than enough in the same Abuja. My concerns, is people d@ lost their lives, families d@ suffered pains. People were suppose to be rehabilitated or better still compensated to relieve them of some pains, instead of bragging about what was done right or not.
Wait oo, some ppl lost lives sef? Then it was nonsense. Unless,its not true.
Again, when sb turns against d party he works for in naija, its usually because d person didnt get compensated for carrying out assignments or he/she feels under- paid. Pdp turning into sth bad after 4yrs my foot.
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by nitusa: 3:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
My problem with the whole story is that the Abuja town planners who approved these buildings are still there collecting bribes. I really don't understand
if there is master plan and building start popping up in a neighborhood, are these building inspectors blind? how did they get an approval to build. They wasted people lives and money. God will never forgive this country called Nigeria. The most wasteful country I have ever seen or had. I cry
for my country Nigeria!!!!
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by HAH: 4:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
nitusa: My problem with the whole story is that the Abuja town planners who approved these buildings are still there collecting bribes. I really don't understand
if there is master plan and building start popping up in a neighborhood, are these building inspectors blind? how did they get an approval to build. They wasted people lives and money. God will never forgive this country called Nigeria. The most wasteful country I have ever seen or had. I cry

Corruption my brother is the problem, the FCDA workers are very corrupt once paid they can allow any junk, when el rufai came a lot of them were sacked and some were transfered out now when he left everything became business as usual . That is why most FCDA staff hate el rufai because he closed all ways of their dirty deal and now they are mostly the ones spreading false info about him in order to dent him but do you know what ? If all this allegations are true then el rufai would have been in prison by now cos the government of the day are looking for. reason to arrest and shut him.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by HAH: 4:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
nitusa: My problem with the whole story is that the Abuja town planners who approved these buildings are still there collecting bribes. I really don't understand

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Azukaorji(m): 6:36am On Feb 08, 2013
[quote author=~Bluetooth]
ABUJA—Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has said he had  no regrets whatsoever for the spate of demolition of buildings in the city during his tenure as minister, which left many families stranded and unable to regain their balance till date.

In his new book, “Accidental Public Servant” due for presentation in Abuja today, El-Rufai also explained why he quit the ruling People’s Democratic Party, PDP, in 2010, saying the party had lost focus and direction.

Quitting PDP

“As I say to anyone who cares to ask why I decided to leave the PDP in 2010, it was because the party had evolved within four years into a totally different party-more toxic, self-centred and controlled by a tiny clique of morally-flexible people,” the former minister stated.

Sounding unapologetic over his tenure, which led to the demolition of no fewer than 200 buildings in the FCT and thousands in the satellite towns, the former minister maintained that he had to take drastic actions to save Abuja from being turned into a slum by influential persons in the corridors of power.

el-Rufai
The former minister said in the 627-page book:  “For me restoring order in the chaos that we found in many aspect of living in Abuja at the time, was simply consistent with my personal philosophy in life, a preference for rules and orderliness- a burden that I needed to discharge personally so I could sleep well at night.

“It was without question worth giving four years of my life pursuing. Therefore, I have no regrets for attempting to do what we did. We did what we believed was right at the time.”

Dislodging the cabal

El-Rufai said he was able to dislodge the cabal distorting the Abuja Master plan and using land allocations to enrich themselves at the expense of the country and its people.

According to him, the rich and powerful elements in the military and politics, who had cornered choice plots in the city through the backdoor, were more interested in trading with the plots for higher profits rather than building on the land, which had stipulated timeframe.

He admitted, “I love Abuja and gave nearly four years of my life to its restoration, orderliness and development.

Obasanjo’s love for Abuja

“I was able to do my assignment because Obasanjo, who appointed me minister, considered Abuja as his own child and supported me as his son for the FCT assignment and up to this point in time, I have not disappointed him,” he explained.

The author noted that he had to urgently deal with the rot that was fast creeping into the capital city not minding whose ox was gored, because of his firm belief that anyone in leadership position had no alternative than doing what was right for its own sake.

El-Rufai explained that it was his honesty that convinced him to demolish the house of the then PDP national chairman, Senator Ahmadu Ali, without caring a hoot.

He pointed out that given his closeness to the former chairman he would have overlooked the infraction committed by him and spared his building in Asokoro District, which was sitting on a sewage line.

The former minister regretted that it would not have been possible under the PDP of today to pull down the house of its national chairman, saying that the current situation was a setback to the country.

He asked rhetorically: “Is it possible in the PDP of 2010, I always ask, for any minister of the FCT to take down a building owned by the chairman of the ruling party? “No way”-virtually everyone would respond.

“However, we did what we did, life continued like nothing had happened as it should. Rules should apply to everyone without fear or favour.”

El-Rufai noted that his actions were premised on the public good, saying that his conscience had not pricked him in anyway even after leaving office.

The Congress for Progress Change big wig stated that the actions he took were premised on certain lessons, which Nigerians should learn and reflect on them so as to move forward.

As he puts it, ‘’it is posterity in this life, and the Almighty God in the next that will ultimately judge our decisions ...stupid el-lufai its only GOD dat will judge u and bear it @ d back of ur wicked mind dat any party u belong will never win election again becus people have taged u devil
Re: El-Rufai Has No Regrets For Abuja Demolitions by Lordwize(m): 10:24am On Feb 09, 2013
Walexz02:
Why should government compesate u while u violate the land law. Have u ever owned a land? I guess no. Coz if u do u would knw dt any body dt builds on a government land aready knws he is living their temporarily.
Walexz02:
I do own a land buh not in Abuja. Are you telling me now that, the Ahmadu Ali of this world were not compensated? The law is for the masses sha.

(1) (Reply)

Prophecies For 2014: "Patience Jonathan May Die" – Primate Ayodele / Legalizing Marijuana, Clarion Call To General Buhari -ymodulus / Is This GEJ? Can Someone Verify This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.