Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? (19360 Views)

Have M.sc And Currently In Phd Can Anyone Get Me A Job / APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY / Ptdf Scholarship For Msc And Phd Is Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2013
STORY! STORY!!

Everything i have said, i have backed with facts.. You on the other hand have ignored everything i have said and you keep trying to force education on everyone..

I have never underestimated the importance of education, the society does need phd's.. Phd's who are in it for the right reasons not money..

You keep drumming the phd ticket on everyone like it is the key to financial success.. it is not.. People should go into a phd for the right reasons, to make a difference..

I dont know if you just chose to ignore everything i have been saying.. I admire phd's, i have two in my immediate family.. My wife is a doctor and is working on her cardiology fellowship.. i have a masters in engineering and i am looking at getting an mba..

So dont sit there and tell me i dont value education..

My whole point to the original poster is that he shouldnt think about just money.. He shouldnt go into a phd just for money.. He should go into it because he wants to make a difference in his field.. Money shouldnt be his motivation..

Contrary to what you think about it, my main motivation is not money.. I want to make a difference in my country when i move back home but the level of corruption scares me.. I am trying to get the original poster to not go for a phd for money..

I guess we can agree to disagree.. Good luck

drzed:

obi2012, I would like to think that you are at least 21 years old. Although age is not directly proportional to maturity.

I cant help notice that rather than face the core issues at hand (with facts), you always find a way to discredit or tarnish my comments/opinions based on your prejudice and/or ignorance. For example, you are implying that I am a lecturer at LASU who sells tests/handouts. And indirectly, you are implying that LASU is such a downtrodden place that habours hungry PhD holders who scheme money from students by selling test questions. You are indeed pathetic. Without lecturers, you would not be where you are today.

In any case, you are wrong on all accounts. For starters, I am not even based in Nigeria. But even if I were, and I were to be in academics, and I were to be posted at LASU, well, I would do my 'LASU job' with pride. See, not everyone is hungry or money-crazy like yourself (it may be surprising and even annoying for you to learn this, but it is very true). Speaking of money, you have no idea how much I earn or what I do for a living. Continue dreaming that you are 'wealthier' than everyone else who has a PhD.

Clearly, you do not value education or research and you proved it yourself so many times above. You confuse going to school with education. Just as you confuse repairing broken down networks with research.

I suggest you (and others who may be inclined to think like you) should watch this recent youtube video clip by Dr. Benjamin Carson. One of the brightest minds in contemporary America. He is a high-achieving and highly decorated neurosurgeon. A black man that I am very proud of.

Pay attention to what he says about importance and role of education for a country's progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA

Enjoy whatever remains of your weekend.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 7:14am On Feb 11, 2013
Phonon: Where is that Phd Dangote truck driver when you need him to answer crucial questions?
And you think that story was true?
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by lazyboy94(m): 1:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
iv4fb: PHD Nigeria? GEJ has 1!
dem don 4get remind dem ..it is just a ceremonious title in naija nothing intellectual OBJ was awarded one recently ,as 4 d correlation with fat salaries I think salary structures are based on input not credentials xpecially from a nigerian varsity
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Ademor1986: 5:51pm On Sep 22, 2019
Phd gives better opportunity than non PhD holder
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Ademor1986: 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2019
Phd gives better opportunity than non PhD holde[b][/b]r

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Earning 30k Monthly Salary As A Graduate / Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus / Sim Shagaya Looking For A Researcher On The 3-Wheel Vehicle Market In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.