Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins (888 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / “jesus Not Coming Back By The Looks Of It” Admits Vatican / Vatican Official Condemns Maynard Assisted Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Emperoh(m): 5:27pm On Mar 10, 2008
Landers Check these out.
So we know what is on board so we don't fall into more sin.

If you want to avoid an afterlife of hellfire and damnation you will now have to do more than obey the Ten Commandments.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Vatican has extended its list of mortal sins to include 21st century issues such as genetic experimentation, pollution, social injustice, drug abuse and excessive wealth.

Published in the Vatican's official newspaper L'Osservatore Romano the extended list was revealed at the end of a week long refresher course for priests on the sacrament of confession.

According to the Roman Catholic faith a mortal sin must be confessed to a priest and if not absolved or forgiven, will lead to a person's soul being condemned to Hell after death.

Traditionally mortal sins are those which are a breach of the Commandments - murder, adultery, stealing and lying to name but a few.

The new sins were revealed by Gianfranco Girotti, bishop in charge of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican Department which deals with the forgiveness of sins.

Monsignor Girotti, 70, said: ''The reference for sin is the violation of Man's relationship with God and his fellow Man.

''Today there are various new sins which concern the rights of the individual and society and above all these are in the field of bioethics.

''Within this there are several fundamental violations of nature taking place - experiments, genetic manipulation, which are very difficult to control.

''Socially there is the field of drugs which weaken both intelligence and physically, leaving many youngsters outside the ecclesiastical (church) circuit.

''Then elsewhere socially we have inequality of wealth with the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer, this in turns feeds an ever growing social injustice.''

Monsignor Girotti led the confession refresher corse because surveys had revealed that the number of people going was declining.

Many said they felt that they ''found it difficult to talk'' to priests about their sin with some saying they feared a severe reprimand.

Monsignor Girotti said the aim of the course had been to teach priests to be less aggressive and more understanding in the confessional box.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Carlosein(m): 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2008
can we have a source for this please.

and kind sir, what, if i may ask is your point exactly?
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by JeSoul(f): 8:12pm On Mar 10, 2008
Yes please post ur source.

Emperoh:

Monsignor Girotti led the confession refresher corse because surveys had revealed that the number of people going was declining.
hmmm could it be becos people are wising up to the fact that it is impossible for priests to actually forgive sins.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 10, 2008
One source here ---> [url]http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1308679,00.html[/url]

----------------------------
Monsignor Girotti said -->

''The reference for sin is the violation of Man's relationship with God and his fellow Man.

''Today there are various new sins which concern the rights of the individual and society and above all these are in the field of bioethics.

''Within this there are several fundamental violations of nature taking place - experiments, genetic manipulation, which are very difficult to control.

''Socially there is the field of drugs which weaken both intelligence and physically, leaving many youngsters outside the ecclesiastical (church) circuit.

''Then elsewhere socially we have inequality of wealth with the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer, this in turns feeds an ever growing social injustice.'
'

Monsignor Girotti led the confession refresher course because surveys had revealed that the number of people going was declining.

Many said they felt that they ''found it difficult to talk'' to priests about their sin with some saying they feared a severe reprimand.

Monsignor Girotti said the aim of the course had been to teach priests to be less aggressive and more understanding in the confessional box.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Cassiel(f): 9:17pm On Mar 10, 2008
''Confession refresher course''? There's a course on confessing sins? ''The art of confessing'' would be quite apt for the course title,me thinks. grin
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Cassiel(f): 9:23pm On Mar 10, 2008
imhotep:

Only goes to show priests are only human after all. ''Judge not that ye be not judged''. If you have to be taught to forgive sins,then in my opinion,you weren't meant to forgive sins. Jesus never taught anybody to forgive sins.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Emperoh(m): 11:17am On Mar 11, 2008
@Carlosein & JeSoul
I got that from AP on Yahoo news.

@Cassiel
Its good to see you here.
Its not the sort of thing you think it is. The Vatican only had a conference on the declining number of faithfuls going for the sacrament of Penance and its appaling U know. I wouldn't want to go into the secong arguement because of the diversity of Christians here but i must recall ur mind to a version of the Gospel of John (can't say what chapter and verse). When Jesus was sending out his 77 apostle to preach and win souls for Christ, one of the thigs he said to them was, 'What ever sins you forgive have been forgiven and whatever you bind on earth had been bound in Heaven'. From this portion does the issue of confessing to Priest arises cos they are the representatives of God on Earth. That doesn't mean that when u go for confession without preparing adequately and not truly being repentant, you would be forgiven. Lets get our arguments right.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Nobody: 12:02pm On Mar 11, 2008
Cassiel:

Only goes to show priests are only human after all. ''Judge not that ye be not judged''. If you have to be taught to forgive sins,then in my opinion,you weren't meant to forgive sins. Jesus never taught anybody to forgive sins.
JeSoul:

Yes please post your source.
hmmm could it be because people are wising up to the fact that it is impossible for priests to actually forgive sins.
you guys go read your bibles well, you might come across something that sounds like 'whose sins you forgive I'll forgive, and whose sisns you retain I'll retain'.

Carlosein:

can we have a source for this please.

and kind sir, what, if i may ask is your point exactly?

I wonder ohh!!!

What made you guys think you could be smarter than thosoe intellectuals who formulated thes laws on which the Catholic Church operates?
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Cassiel(f): 11:53pm On Mar 11, 2008
@ujujoan & Emperoh
I know that verse is the one catholics rely on as the basis for priests forgiving sins.I'm not going to go into the argument that verse deserves here because a lot of justice has been done already to arguing that verse,and a whole lot of other related verses(even unrelated ones too grin). You'll find it all in the thread i started sometime ago ''Catholics and Confession''. The key debaters of that thread were Imhotep and JeSoul,and trust me,they did a real good job.That verse was looked at,contradicted,explained,seen from varying perspectives,etc etc. And in the end,there was no concrete biblical basis for priests forgiving sins.Feel free to check it out. I think its very enlightening.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 12, 2008
Let us now look at Church writings on confession long before the bible was compiled and approved by Catholic bishops in the year 393 AD at the Synod of Hippo (somewhere in North Africa)

[A.D. 70]

"Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache 4:14, 14:1 ).

====The Didache (Koine Greek "Teaching"wink is the common name of a brief early Christian treatise (dated by most scholars to the early second century), containing instructions for Christian communities
See ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didache

[A.D. 74]

"You shall judge righteously. You shall not make a schism, but you shall pacify those that contend by bringing them together. You shall confess your sins. You shall not go to prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of light" (Letter of Barnabas 19 ).

[A.D. 110]
"For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ are also with the bishop. And as many as shall, in the exercise of penance, return into the unity of the Church, these, too, shall belong to God, that they may live according to Jesus Christ" (Letter to the Philadelphians 3 ).

"For where there is division and wrath, God does not dwell. To all them that repent, the Lord grants forgiveness, if they turn in penitence to the unity of God, and to communion with the bishop" (ibid., cool.

[A.D. 203]

"[Regarding confession, some] flee from this work as being an exposure of themselves, or they put it off from day to day. I presume they are more mindful of modesty than of salvation, like those who contract a disease in the more shameful parts of the body and shun making themselves known to the physicians; and thus they perish along with their own bashfulness" (Tertullian on Repentance 10:1 ).

[A.D. 215]
Hippolytus

"[The bishop conducting the ordination of the new bishop shall pray:] God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. . . . Pour forth now that power which comes from you, from your royal Spirit, which you gave to your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and which he bestowed upon his holy apostles . . . and grant this your servant, whom you have chosen for the episcopate, [the power] to feed your holy flock and to serve without blame as your high priest, ministering night and day to propitiate unceasingly before your face and to offer to you the gifts of your holy Church, and by the Spirit of the high priesthood to have the authority to forgive sins, in accord with your command" (Apostolic Tradition 3 ).

[A.D. 248]
Origen

"[A final method of forgiveness], albeit hard and laborious [is] the remission of sins through penance, when the sinner . . . does not shrink from declaring his sin to a priest of the Lord and from seeking medicine, after the manner of him who say, ‘I said, "To the Lord I will accuse myself of my iniquity"’" (Homilies on Leviticus 2:4 ).

[A.D. 251]
Cyprian of Carthage

"The apostle [Paul] likewise bears witness and says: ‘ . . . Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord’ [1 Cor. 11:27]. But [the impenitent] spurn and despise all these warnings; before their sins are expiated, before they have made a confession of their crime, before their conscience has been purged in the ceremony and at the hand of the priest . . . they do violence to [the Lord’s] body and blood, and with their hands and mouth they sin against the Lord more than when they denied him" (The Lapsed 15:1–3 .

"Of how much greater faith and salutary fear are they who . . . confess their sins to the priests of God in a straightforward manner and in sorrow, making an open declaration of conscience. . . . I beseech you, brethren, let everyone who has sinned confess his sin while he is still in this world, while his confession is still admissible, while the satisfaction and remission made through the priests are still pleasing before the Lord" (ibid., 28).

[A.D. 253]
"[S]inners may do penance for a set time, and according to the rules of discipline come to public confession, and by imposition of the hand of the bishop and clergy receive the right of Communion. [But now some] with their time [of penance] still unfulfilled . . . they are admitted to Communion, and their name is presented; and while the penitence is not yet performed, confession is not yet made, the hands of the bishop and clergy are not yet laid upon them, the Eucharist is given to them; although it is written, ‘Whosoever shall eat the bread and drink the cup of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord’ [1 Cor. 11:27]" (Letters 9:2 ).

"And do not think, dearest brother, that either the courage of the brethren will be lessened, or that martyrdoms will fail for this cause, that penance is relaxed to the lapsed, and that the hope of peace [i.e., absolution] is offered to the penitent. . . . For to adulterers even a time of repentance is granted by us, and peace is given" (ibid., 51[55]:20).

"But I wonder that some are so obstinate as to think that repentance is not to be granted to the lapsed, or to suppose that pardon is to be denied to the penitent, when it is written, ‘Remember whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works’ [Rev. 2:5], which certainly is said to him who evidently has fallen, and whom the Lord exhorts to rise up again by his deeds [of penance], because it is written, ‘Alms deliver from death’ [Tob. 12:9]" (ibid., 51[55]:22).

[A.D. 340]

Aphraahat the Persian Sage

"You [priests], then, who are disciples of our illustrious physician [Christ], you ought not deny a curative to those in need of healing. And if anyone uncovers his wound before you, give him the remedy of repentance. And he that is ashamed to make known his weakness, encourage him so that he will not hide it from you. And when he has revealed it to you, do not make it public, lest because of it the innocent might be reckoned as guilty by our enemies and by those who hate us" (Treatises 7:3 ).

[A.D. 374]
Basil the Great
"It is necessary to confess our sins to those to whom the dispensation of God’s mysteries is entrusted. Those doing penance of old are found to have done it before the saints. It is written in the Gospel that they confessed their sins to John the Baptist [Matt. 3:6], but in Acts [19:18] they confessed to the apostles" (Rules Briefly Treated 288).

[A.D. 387]
John Chrysostom--
"Priests have received a power which God has given neither to angels nor to archangels. It was said to them: ‘Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose, shall be loosed.’ Temporal rulers have indeed the power of binding; but they can only bind the body. Priests, in contrast, can bind with a bond which pertains to the soul itself and transcends the very heavens. Did [God] not give them all the powers of heaven? ‘Whose sins you shall forgive,’ he says, ‘they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.’ What greater power is there than this? The Father has given all judgment to the Son. And now I see the Son placing all this power in the hands of men [Matt. 10:40; John 20:21–23]. They are raised to this dignity as if they were already gathered up to heaven" (The Priesthood 3:5 ).

[A.D. 395]
Augustine (Bishop of Hippo, he was one of the Bishops that compiled and approved the bible)

"In the Church, therefore, there are three ways in which sins are forgiven: in baptisms, in prayer, and in the greater humility of penance" (Sermon to Catechumens on the Creed 7:15, 8:16 ).
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by JeSoul(f): 2:01pm On Mar 12, 2008
Cassiel:

@ujujoan & Emperoh
I know that verse is the one catholics rely on as the basis for priests forgiving sins.I'm not going to go into the argument that verse deserves here because a lot of justice has been done already to arguing that verse,and a whole lot of other related verses(even unrelated ones too grin). You'll find it all in the thread i started sometime ago ''Catholics and Confession''. The key debaters of that thread were Imhotep and JeSoul,and trust me,they did a real good job.That verse was looked at,contradicted,explained,seen from varying perspectives,etc etc. And in the end,there was no concrete biblical basis for priests forgiving sins.Feel free to check it out. I think its very enlightening.

grin I'm glad you were able to take something away from all those words! grin
Let them continue to blindly quote Jn20 and ignore all the other scriptures that contradict their conclusion - it's their own cup of tea. The bible says the time will come when people will not endure sound teaching, this is that time.
and we see brother imhotep is back at it in here again, still trying to justify catholic doctrine by using catholic documents. *shaking my head* that's like me claiming to be the queen and using documents & writings that I authored to prove it. and ignoring all the other previously existing writings that assert I'm not the queen.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 12, 2008
Sorry that i decided to repost this my reply to some other discussion from another thread here, i decided to do this because i want to try and get across to those people involved and also get across to as many people as possible (SINCE THE SALVATION OF THEIR SOUL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THEIR DAMAGED PRIDE)

There here goes the repeat of the mentioned post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shawn123:

i don't understand anymore, catholics and great ones worship thesame God. So which christian sect worship the right God. I though the first sect of Christians ever where the Catholics. Then later on came the Anglican church formed by the King James of England and the rest came by, Is it now these new ones that are real. LOL. It is soo amazing what you see and read. Please tell us the real religion or rather the real christianity and ps which religion is it you refer to as the great one.
grin am dieing here of laughter o.

Look let me be very blunt and straightforward with you shawn123, God is not interested in an unholy unity, as such all these attempts by the devil (through i"s.lam , catholism and others) to bring about a one world religion and unity in beleive shall always fail because Jesus Christ has already
won the victory by His death and Ressurection.

As a matter of fact see what the bible as to say about , all this false peace, unholy unity and all these ecumenical movement nonsense

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Likewise i am not also interested in unholy unity. You will realise that God scattered man at the tower of babel for a reason , despite that men were trying to come together in unity.

Gen 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
Gen 11:2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
Gen 11:3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
Gen 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Gen 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
Gen 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Gen 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
Gen 11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Gen 11:9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Jesus Christ Himself said that her is not here to bring about a false peace.

As such i as a Born Again Christian, I am less concerned whether you think there is disunity in the church or not, simply because God would bring about unity in the church according to His own word , in His own Time and not according to the desires and wishes of mere sinnful and devilish men.

The fundamental and important unity that is necessary in the church is the Spiritual Unity as part of the Bride of Christ.

Also shawn123, please rather than just assume that the propaganda that you are hearing is true, i would advise you to check the bible for evidences that the Catholic church was never the first church and would never be, The catholic church came about as a result of idolatory,apostacy worldly influence of men (please check your church history.

Try and find a good church history information from someone like Thomas Nelson, you will find this on the internet for free download that you can listen to and learn.

As a matter of fact the following link would provide you with a link through which you can download audion files that would lecture you about the devilish history of the catholic church and why they are of their father the devil. I would therefore advise you @shawn123 and any other interested person to try and follow the weblink so as to download the related files about Church History

http://www.archive.org/details/ChurchHistory

Additionally, please shawn123 read your bible, search the scriptures and use the available historical evidences that i beleive would let you know that Catholism, just like i.s.l.am are just devilish apparations.

By the way notice that Jesus Christ himself makes us realise organised cult like that catholic church is not the first church, so please don't believe the devilish propaganda of thinking that what Catholism is doing is right because they were the first church (that's all lies).

The devil is always interested in a "false peace" so as to propagate a spirit and act of compromising the truth for peace, just like the M.U.S.LI.MS and CATHOLISM are tryin to achieve.

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
Mat 10:40 He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

God is no respecter of men, as such if only one person believes in Him , then only one person would be saved,

Salvation is not about a popularity contest,

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Rev 1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;
Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Rev 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

So please don't feed me the lie that the catholic church was the first church, (I would rather you say the catholic church was the first church of satan)

By the fruits of the catholic church we know that they are of their Father the devil,

Moreover read your history to find out why Protestants existed in the first place.

God is not interested in how large people that believe in Him are , 5.9 billion people can believe whatever lie they want to believe, it doesn't matter so long as just 1 person believes in the only True God. Noah was not part of the crowd of unbelievers that were in his generation, yet he and his family were the only one saved.

I pray that God would speedily bring about the destruction of the devices of devil (i.s.la.m, catholism etc),

-----------------------------------------------

imhotep:

More on fanaticism ->

1) “There is nobody as enslaved as the fanatic, the person in whom one impulse, one value, has assumed ascendancy over all others.”

2) “Where no shadow of doubt is allowed; you can be sure fanaticism will loom large in its place.”

3) From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step.

4) Fanatical religion driven to a certain point is almost as bad as none at all, but not quite.

5) Wisdom becomes nonsense in the mouth of a fanatic.

6) “Fanaticism is overcompensation for doubt.”

imhotep:

@shawn123
I suggest you direct your question to the Protestants - they have 33,000 denominations that are always in heated disagreement with one another and with everyone else.

@imhotep , its obvious that you are still full of your verbal , philosophical and humanistic rhetoric, lies and propaganda nonsense, .

The bottom liine is that whether you spout out your verbal rhetoric, philosophical rhetoric and humanistic rhetoric from now till eternity, it still does not change the fact that:

Salvation is:

Not through ignorance,
Not through religion,
Not through Mary,
Not through catholic rosary nor m.u.s.l.im tesbiu
Not through the catholic pope
Not through purgatory
Not through catholic eucharist
Not through lies of pennant payment
Not through being a nun
Not through being a monk
Not through Alllah
Not through infinite number of hail maries
Not not through any good or noble deed
Not through peaceful coexistence
Not through self depravation
Not through self mutilation
Not through the growing of beards
Not through fasting
Not through praying
Not through any rubbish patron saint
Not through praying five times a day
Not through covering your head
Not through wearing skimpy trousers
Not through "crusading" and "killing people" in the name of your own god
Not through life in a monastery
Not through going to mecca
Not through loving your neighbour as yourself
Not through confessing your sins to a priest.
Not through dying as a terrorist
Not through being peaceful with all men
Not through being nice and noble
Not through obeying consituted authority
Not through honouring the name of another man or woman
Not through being a "church building going" church rat

You are saved only through Christ, , whether you like it or not

As a result , your only hope of not spending eternity in the lake of fire, is only by accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour through Faith.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by JeSoul(f): 2:29pm On Mar 12, 2008
Sysuser,
wow that was some response! and I shall highlight some harsh but excellent points you make. . . hope you're ready for them to descend on you with insults. But hey the truth hurts doesn't it?

As such i as a Born Again Christian, I am less concerned whether you think there is disunity in the church or not, simply because God would bring about unity in the church according to His own word , in His own Time and not according to the desires and wishes of mere sinnful and devilish men.
a very true fact many do not realize. God's will will come to pass and His word cannot fail.

The catholic church came about as a result of idolatory,apostacy worldly influence of men (please check your church history.
wow! talk about a direct statement! and you could not have said it better!

God is no respecter of men, as such if only one person believes in Him , then only one person would be saved,
True! so therefore all this fuss over and worship of the pope is straight up heretical.

So please don't feed me the lie that the catholic church was the first church, (I would rather you say the catholic church was the first church of satan)
*nodding my head*

God is not interested in how large people that believe in Him are , 5.9 billion people can believe whatever lie they want to believe, it doesn't matter so long as just 1 person believes in the only True God. Noah was not part of the crowd of unbelievers that were in his generation, yet he and his family were the only one saved.
lol. catholics love the fact they're the largest "church" and continue to grow - this should put a damper on that.

I pray that God would speedily bring about the destruction of the devices of devil (i.s.la.m, catholism etc),
Amen.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 12, 2008
imhotep:

Let us now look at Church writings on confession long before the bible was compiled and approved by Catholic bishops in the year 393 AD at the Synod of Hippo (somewhere in North Africa)

[A.D. 70]

"Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache 4:14, 14:1 ).

====The Didache (Koine Greek "Teaching"wink is the common name of a brief early Christian treatise (dated by most scholars to the early second century), containing instructions for Christian communities
See ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didache

[A.D. 74]

"You shall judge righteously. You shall not make a schism, but you shall pacify those that contend by bringing them together. You shall confess your sins. You shall not go to prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of light" (Letter of Barnabas 19 ).

[A.D. 110]
"For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ are also with the bishop. And as many as shall, in the exercise of penance, return into the unity of the Church, these, too, shall belong to God, that they may live according to Jesus Christ" (Letter to the Philadelphians 3 ).

"For where there is division and wrath, God does not dwell. To all them that repent, the Lord grants forgiveness, if they turn in penitence to the unity of God, and to communion with the bishop" (ibid., cool.

[A.D. 203]

"[Regarding confession, some] flee from this work as being an exposure of themselves, or they put it off from day to day. I presume they are more mindful of modesty than of salvation, like those who contract a disease in the more shameful parts of the body and shun making themselves known to the physicians; and thus they perish along with their own bashfulness" (Tertullian on Repentance 10:1 ).

[A.D. 215]
Hippolytus

"[The bishop conducting the ordination of the new bishop shall pray:] God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. . . . Pour forth now that power which comes from you, from your royal Spirit, which you gave to your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and which he bestowed upon his holy apostles . . . and grant this your servant, whom you have chosen for the episcopate, [the power] to feed your holy flock and to serve without blame as your high priest, ministering night and day to propitiate unceasingly before your face and to offer to you the gifts of your holy Church, and by the Spirit of the high priesthood to have the authority to forgive sins, in accord with your command" (Apostolic Tradition 3 ).

[A.D. 248]
Origen

"[A final method of forgiveness], albeit hard and laborious [is] the remission of sins through penance, when the sinner . . . does not shrink from declaring his sin to a priest of the Lord and from seeking medicine, after the manner of him who say, ‘I said, "To the Lord I will accuse myself of my iniquity"’" (Homilies on Leviticus 2:4 ).

[A.D. 251]
Cyprian of Carthage

"The apostle [Paul] likewise bears witness and says: ‘ . . . Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord’ [1 Cor. 11:27]. But [the impenitent] spurn and despise all these warnings; before their sins are expiated, before they have made a confession of their crime, before their conscience has been purged in the ceremony and at the hand of the priest . . . they do violence to [the Lord’s] body and blood, and with their hands and mouth they sin against the Lord more than when they denied him" (The Lapsed 15:1–3 .

"Of how much greater faith and salutary fear are they who . . . confess their sins to the priests of God in a straightforward manner and in sorrow, making an open declaration of conscience. . . . I beseech you, brethren, let everyone who has sinned confess his sin while he is still in this world, while his confession is still admissible, while the satisfaction and remission made through the priests are still pleasing before the Lord" (ibid., 28).

[A.D. 253]
"[S]inners may do penance for a set time, and according to the rules of discipline come to public confession, and by imposition of the hand of the bishop and clergy receive the right of Communion. [But now some] with their time [of penance] still unfulfilled . . . they are admitted to Communion, and their name is presented; and while the penitence is not yet performed, confession is not yet made, the hands of the bishop and clergy are not yet laid upon them, the Eucharist is given to them; although it is written, ‘Whosoever shall eat the bread and drink the cup of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord’ [1 Cor. 11:27]" (Letters 9:2 ).

"And do not think, dearest brother, that either the courage of the brethren will be lessened, or that martyrdoms will fail for this cause, that penance is relaxed to the lapsed, and that the hope of peace [i.e., absolution] is offered to the penitent. . . . For to adulterers even a time of repentance is granted by us, and peace is given" (ibid., 51[55]:20).

"But I wonder that some are so obstinate as to think that repentance is not to be granted to the lapsed, or to suppose that pardon is to be denied to the penitent, when it is written, ‘Remember whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works’ [Rev. 2:5], which certainly is said to him who evidently has fallen, and whom the Lord exhorts to rise up again by his deeds [of penance], because it is written, ‘Alms deliver from death’ [Tob. 12:9]" (ibid., 51[55]:22).

[A.D. 340]

Aphraahat the Persian Sage

"You [priests], then, who are disciples of our illustrious physician [Christ], you ought not deny a curative to those in need of healing. And if anyone uncovers his wound before you, give him the remedy of repentance. And he that is ashamed to make known his weakness, encourage him so that he will not hide it from you. And when he has revealed it to you, do not make it public, lest because of it the innocent might be reckoned as guilty by our enemies and by those who hate us" (Treatises 7:3 ).

[A.D. 374]
Basil the Great
"It is necessary to confess our sins to those to whom the dispensation of God’s mysteries is entrusted. Those doing penance of old are found to have done it before the saints. It is written in the Gospel that they confessed their sins to John the Baptist [Matt. 3:6], but in Acts [19:18] they confessed to the apostles" (Rules Briefly Treated 288).

[A.D. 387]
John Chrysostom--
"Priests have received a power which God has given neither to angels nor to archangels. It was said to them: ‘Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose, shall be loosed.’ Temporal rulers have indeed the power of binding; but they can only bind the body. Priests, in contrast, can bind with a bond which pertains to the soul itself and transcends the very heavens. Did [God] not give them all the powers of heaven? ‘Whose sins you shall forgive,’ he says, ‘they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.’ What greater power is there than this? The Father has given all judgment to the Son. And now I see the Son placing all this power in the hands of men [Matt. 10:40; John 20:21–23]. They are raised to this dignity as if they were already gathered up to heaven" (The Priesthood 3:5 ).

[A.D. 395]
Augustine (Bishop of Hippo, he was one of the Bishops that compiled and approved the bible)

"In the Church, therefore, there are three ways in which sins are forgiven: in baptisms, in prayer, and in the greater humility of penance" (Sermon to Catechumens on the Creed 7:15, 8:16 ).

Many of these early christians I quoted contributed immensely to the selection of the books of the bible (there were so many others in circulation). This is the same bible that the protestants have mis-interpreted for so long.

Since the protestants cannot convince each other about their multiplicity of erroneous interpretations, they now turn to Catholics (who gave them the bible) and keep confusing themselves in the process.

-----------------------------------------
@Sysuser
Catholicism, Buddhism and I'slam came on board LONG before the protestant confusion. There is a whole lot you can learn from them. Stop confounding your mind with biblical quotes. You will only end up creating another cantankerous protestant sect that will break up and splinter within six months.
Christ does not want such spiritual anarchy.
Re: Vatican Increases Number Of Mortal Sins by SisiNene1(f): 3:54pm On Mar 13, 2008
dats hw gist flys.where is ur source?

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Anti Christ Coming From / The 23 Psalm (for Work Place) / Sammie Okposo Live At Solomon's Porch Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.