Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,950 members, 7,810,630 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses (8662 Views)

Okonjo-Iweala: Oshiomhole After Me Because I Blocked His ‘Dubious N15bn Loan’ / Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation / Buhari Presented A Locally-Made Electricity Meter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by makhany4t1(m): 3:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
HAH: Apart from Innoson is there any local assemblers of Buses\cars

Yes ANAMCO at Nnewi
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Martini101(m): 3:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
Innoson don hammer big time again! Hardwork pays!!
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by shamson: 4:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
I salute the effort of the president and his team.Although to majority, they seems to be moving at slow pace but nevertheless, they are opening a new direction towards development.
Or, can anyone compare now and then?
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by yeye4live(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
emilyone: another avenue to siphon our money.
I wish I can get a loan to set up a ashawo house dat wil acomodate up to 15000 prostitutes, dats about 15milion profit daily , which busines in Naija make dis much
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by ignis: 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
Nice one.

The earlier the better.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by onyeego(m): 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
Abeg, who has d address of this infrastructure bank.
Me too na transporter grin
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by drnoel: 4:21pm On Feb 08, 2013
wait, make una wait first. How manz companies make cars or buses locallz in Nigeria. Is Innoson motors not the only one. As much as I like the loan for what its stands to encourage, i am a little uncomfortable with what Nigerians can turn in into...
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Dansadaumallam(m): 4:55pm On Feb 08, 2013
jas_o: Where is the factory located and what are the measure in place to check judicious spending of the loan?
I can seen some dreaded brains applauding this empty project design to loot as usual!
you may be lucky to be a part of nairaland but you are are so unlucky to be ignorant that there are factories at nnewi(innoson), bauchi(mahindra) enugu(anamco) ,live postive my brother.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by taharqa: 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
One of those Interventions Funds, amongst others, that this Admin have successfully managed and that have had some REAL impact on the target Investors, for those people saying that this may not be realized (this one is on the Extremely important Textile sector; hopefully):

Following two years of operation of the N100bn intervention fund, the Textiles, Cotton and Garment subsector appears to be regaining breath, LAYI ADELOYE reports

Stakeholders in the Nigerian Cotton, Textile and Garment subsector have assessed th performance of the N100bn intervention fund given to the industry two years ago, submitting that it has revived operations.

They, however, called on the Federal Government to make available to the sector an intervention fund of about N1n, in view of the current economic reality that has made the initial N100bn seed fund inadequate.

Similarly, they called for a longer tenor rate on the repayment of the loans in order to aid the growth and development of the sector.

The operators also commended the Bank of Industry for its painstaking approach to the fund’s management, mobilisation and disbursement, which, according to them, resulted in the revival of the once comatose subsector.

Meanwhile, the bank has said that about 60 per cent of the N100bn initial intervention fund offered by the government had been disbursed to the sector in the last two years.

All these came out at a validation workshop organised by the Bank of Industry, in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation, in Abuja, on Tuesday.

In 2010, the Federal Government introduced a N100bn Cotton Textile and Garment Revival Scheme, managed by the Bank of Industry to reverse this ugly trend of progressive industry collapse and ensure a rapid resuscitation and upgrading of the entire CTG value-chain.

Two years down the line, the subsector’ stakeholders appraised the funds’ performance, saying substantial portion of the fund had been successfully disbursed to beneficiaries, with the impact emerging “very encouraging.”

Recent figures from the Manufacturer’s Association of Nigeria revealed that the capacity utilisation in this subsector has increased tremendously, from 29.14 per cent in 2010 to 49.70 per cent in 2011. In addition, a number of hitherto moribund textile mills have been reopened, with about 8,070 jobs saved, just as over 5,000 new jobs have been created.

The Minister of Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, recalled the developments in the subsector, stressing that the subsector had gone through ups and downs since 1960 but had just started getting some reprieve through the intervention funds.

He said, “Nigeria’s Cotton, Textile and Garment Industry was a leading sector in the economy from the 1960s through to the 1970s, and in the early 1980s, when the industry had about 175 textile mills and employed over 600,000 workers making it the second largest employer of labour, after the government.

“Unfortunately, however, by 2008, the Textile factories still in operation had reduced to 24 textile mills and 10 ginneries employing less than 25,000 people, and with exports less than $50m.

According to him, among the factors that led to the decline in the sector include but not limited to massive influx of textiles and apparels from Asia particularly after the Multi Fibre Agreement expired in 2005; inadequate and epileptic energy supply and heavy reliance on self-generation of power, leading to high and uncompetitive production costs; global economic challenges; massive smuggling of cheaper textiles of lower quality; changing consumer tastes and habits; and huge debt burden on producers in the value chain amongst others.

He said the subsector held strong potential due to its natural cotton endowments, large market size and legacy sector knowledge.

He explained, “Nigeria’s population of over 167 million people represents a natural market for basic textiles and apparel related goods. Potential to export to regional and select developed markets (such as the United States, under the African Growth and Opportunities Agreement tariff regime) are also very attractive.

“The existing textile infrastructure and skill base provides the industry with a pool of knowledgeable workforce particularly in Northern Nigeria. The above make this sector too important for government to ignore.

Aganga said the evaluation of the socio-economic impact of the Fund to the beneficiaries and the national economy at large could, therefore, not have come at a better time.

“Although, it is evident that the CTG Revival Fund Scheme has provided the industry players with a unique source of incentive-based long-term fund for the financing and refinancing of capital investments and revolving working capital, based on my interactions with some of you and my findings during my visits to your factories, I am not unaware of other challenges being faced by you.”

The Chief Executive Officer of BoI, Ms Evelyn Oputu, said there was the need for a line of credit to be opened for the resuscitation of companies in the textile industry, in view of the fact that it remained a key sector generating a high number of jobs in the country.

She noted that the bank and other agencies were doing a mid-term evaluation of the Cotton, Textile and Garment Scheme in a bid to examine the progress made and other areas of concern.

According to her, BoI has disbursed nearly 60 per cent of the N100bn allotted to the textile sector to revive it, but hopes to increase funding to the sector, if empowered.

The Country Representative, UNIDO, Patrick Kormawa, advocated the need for an improved investment climate, effective policies for the real sector and enhanced capacity building for operators in order to aid the growth of the sector.

He identified the lack of adequate machinery and manpower as challenges the growth of the real sector. He, therefore, called for a renewed effort to revitalise the subsector.

[b]The General Secretary, National Union of Textile, Garment and Tailoring Workers, Isa Aremu, commended the government for the intervention effort in the textile sector, noting that though it came late, it was better as many firms had been revived.

He said, “When the textile industry was still vibrant, a single firm could generate about 10,000 jobs. However, due to the intervention fund, we have been able to revive some firms. There is a need for an accelerated growth in the sector and this can be achieved through increased funding to the sector.

“Presently, 58 companies are managing N10bn, while AMCON has spent about N5.6tn on rescued banks. This gesture can also be replicated in the real sector if the desired growth and employment generation will be achieved.”

He, therefore, urged BoI to increase the tenor rate for loans sought by firms in the real sector in order to aid attractiveness of the loans to the companies and foster development.

“A drop in interest rates for the real sector will foster its growth. I believe we can work towards a zero per cent interest rate if we set our mind towards it”, he added.

On efforts to encourage the subsector’s development, he said, “We are working through the Standards Organisation of Nigeria, to reduce the dumping of sub-standard goods into the country.

“Some of these goods include textiles and apparels. We are also exploring diplomatic channels through our Trade Ambassador at the World Trade Organisation. To ensure increase in power supply, we are working with the Ministry of Power to ensure 10 industrial cities in the country have, at least, 18 hours of uninterrupted power supply by first quarter of next year (2013).

He added, “Our aspiration for the textile and apparel industry is to increase its domestic market share from its present position of 12 per cent to 25 per cent by 2020. We also expect this sector to create over 60,000 direct jobs within this period.

“To achieve this, the strategic thrust requires reviving the entire value chain. This includes strengthening the base by boosting cotton production for use in the domestic sector and potential exports, supporting existing players to expand their current operations and attracting strong brands to set up local manufacturing operation in the country. This explains why we have included the sector in the Industrial Revolution Plan which is being[/b]

http://www.punchng.com/business/industry/comatose-textiles-cotton-subsector-regains-breath/

We can however keep the Govt on their toes to make sure that this particular Intervention works, while people should take advantage of it.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by acadasol: 4:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Very Good initiative

THis guy is GEJ's messenger goat. Always supporting anything about GEJ. My advise to you, wise up early and secure your future. Don't let GEJ use your destiny. f.ool!!!
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Ozonna(m): 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
Innoson is not the only automobile assembler. Anammco still functioning. Maybe companies like Tata can open assembly line cos of this initiative.

This is really good for Nigeria. Kudos to GEJ led administration.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by born2boink(m): 5:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
I am watching
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by hakanai(m): 5:41pm On Feb 08, 2013
HAH: Apart from Innoson is there any local assemblers of Buses\cars

ANAMCO Enugu
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by sol2galay: 7:22pm On Feb 08, 2013
This is a good development
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 08, 2013
Martini101: Innoson don hammer big time again! Hardwork pays!!

Not so fast, Mister !!!.....

Don't be so surprised when you'd soon hear someone, complain about Federal Character not being applied in this noble scheme.

1 Like

Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
Any business savvy nairalander should see this as an opportunity to join the upper class instead of sitting on internet and complaining. FRESH AIR.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by taharqa: 11:48pm On Feb 08, 2013
taharqa:
One of those Interventions Funds, amongst others, that this Admin have successfully managed and that have had some REAL impact on the target Investors, for those people saying that this may not be realized (this one is on the Extremely important Textile sector; hopefully):

We can however keep the Govt on their toes to make sure that this particular Intervention works, while people should take advantage of it.

https://www.nairaland.com/1175349/critical-comatose-textile-cotton-sector
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by manny4life(m): 2:13am On Feb 09, 2013
Abeg, I want my own fresh air, anyone knows what the process involved is? I mean for a 0% interest rate, something must giver for instance collateral or VERY GOODWILL
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Nobody: 4:20am On Feb 09, 2013
E be like say dem wan share another few billions.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Fatduke: 7:04am On Feb 09, 2013
Innoson Motors get ready for a serious boom. Business is going to blossom for this Company. Let's hope and Pray that funds don't get diverted... Good plans if executed as outlined.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:37am On Feb 09, 2013
I don't mean to sound naïve or negative , I don't have a problem with loaning to the masses, my problem with all these loan schemes is "where is the returned money after loan duration"

I run a biz too, when we say we loan 15bn out, we didn't spend it!, we all seem to forget that!

Let's say the loan payback period is 3 years, where does this 15bn return back to??
Sambo's special account or what?

I think fg loaning is a smart way to save our funds for their future

*i may be very wrong*

Just my doubtful and suspicious thinking

1 Like

Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 09, 2013
Capnd143: Ok. . . . Innoson better start producing Bulletproof jeeps for judicial consumption oh! Abi?

Men, i just saw 2days back Innoson 22 seater hummer bus. It looked like it was made in heaven.

It came with the american dodge wagon kind of appearance. I bow for that man.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 09, 2013
manny4life: Haha, some people are already having heart attack because of this policy. Rather than sitting here and criticizing, how about you go to the industrial bank and apply to get your own loan to purchase buses and start your own transport business. I heard that the BRT buses in Lagos has turned "garbage in motion", this will encourage young entrepreneurs, i.e., if they wouldn't sit on NL and bi.t.ch all day. grin grin grin

Manny, are you into transport? Am just venturing into it. It isnt easy, i still join my driver out. My almost new 18 seater bus is lieing idle because i hate meeting touts so i drive around town mostly at night.

What's the process registering a trans coy?
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by sonety2k(m): 11:16am On Feb 09, 2013
Launching Of Our New Company

SHOLA MOTOR WORKS (SMC)......Assemle of Truck And Mini Buses
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by calcal: 11:58am On Feb 09, 2013
locally made or locally assemble?

Molue na made in Nigeria anyway.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Bowwow11(m): 6:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
Another source of corruption again since d fuel sub-sidy removal over two years ago, dey av been broadcastind their rubish mass transit buses dat is nt coming to past, well dis year his a year of judgement to all corruptable leaders in government God wil judge dem according to their corrupt practises include GEJ 4 failing to lead Nigerian 4 Gud!
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by manny4life(m): 7:18pm On Feb 09, 2013
okpara ugo:

Manny, are you into transport? Am just venturing into it. It isnt easy, i still join my driver out. My almost new 18 seater bus is lieing idle because i hate meeting touts so i drive around town mostly at night.

What's the process registering a trans coy?

Bros, I'm not into transport o, but seeing a wonderful opportunity here, I wouldn't mind going into such. I mean, this is free interest loan, they say Transport business is hot cake in Nigeria. Besides, if I were to go into transport, I'd apply same model like it's done here. The model here is drivers do not have access to cash, customers use a smart card preloaded with money or insert cash in the bill acceptor.

Every bus is GPS, camera and radio equipped so you can track movements, view video footage and communicate with drivers when necessary. Simple yet clean stress free model.. Iknow I sound weird or some may say it's impossible, but it's either my model or no go. As for touts, I'll register with appropriate authorities that will make the touts stay away, even if it means to bribe them, well, we can work something out.
Re: N15bn Loan Approved For Locally-made Buses by Hearme(m): 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2013
Adura_ngba:

You may be walking blindfolded if you havent seen one.
FOR WHERE? ONLY BRT DEY FOR LAGOS OH ABI WHO NEED TRANSPORT PASS LAGOS, ABUJA AND PH?

(1) (2) (Reply)

River State Election Rerun Ikwere Vote Your Own.count Igbos Out / 22 Illegal Accounts Operated By NDDC / Where Is Alj Harem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.