Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,247 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (142442 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2017

PROVE GOD IN TITHING
TEXT: MALACHI 3:10

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing" (Malachi 3:10).

A tithe is 10% of your income. God demands our tithes for the administration of the church and propagation of the gospel. A lady testified to how the company she was working for closed down. The director called her and said that their operations in Cameroon were not going as planned so they would have to pay them off. When she was paid off, the first thing she did was to set aside the tithe before thinking of what to do. A few weeks later, the same director called her back. He said that although they were leaving the country, they would still maintain a presence in Cameroon. They laid off other staff but kept her to take charge of the office.

God's command on tithing is for all to obey irrespective of our status. If we are to enjoy the blessings of God in our lives as youth we too must obey in tithing, no matter how little it is. The Bible says, "He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much" Tithe is an expression of faith toward God. Prove God and you will be blessed in your finances and other areas.

Challenge: "Obedience brings a blessing."

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to tithe."

Quote: "Tithe is an expression of faith toward God."

Bible Reading in one Year: Deuteronomy 28:1-3

See more here:

Someone said tirhe is an expression of faith? This is one of the religious fallacies I've heard in decades. But the scripture says, The law IS NOT of faith...... grin

8 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Amalekki: 6:43pm On Sep 12, 2018
Hebrews 9 New International Version (NIV)

Worship in the Earthly Tabernacle

9 Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. 2 A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. 5 Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.

6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The Blood of Christ

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10pm On Sep 14, 2018
DAILY ⓂANNA
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13, 2018

PUTTING FIRST THINGS FIRST

TEXT: HAGGAI 1:1-15

KEY VERSE: "Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD'S house should be built. Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?" (Haggai 1:2,4).

One of the most challenging tasks we have in life is making choices. The problem really is not in choosing between the good and the bad. Many of us are already wise enough to know how to do this. But the challenge really is in choosing between the good and the best. This is where many people stumble and this is where we need to display the highest form of discretion.

Prophet Haggai challenged the people of Judah to set their priority right. They had the mental belief that God was first, supreme and above all. Yet this belief was not reflected in the way they were living. The house of God laid waste and unattended to, while theirs were luxurious mansions. God rebuked them for this. God's house must be built first otherwise their labours will result in futility.

This is the same challenge the Lord is giving us today. Many of us believe that God should take the first place in our lives but practically, we are not demonstrating this. When it comes to building the house of God or giving our time, talent and resources for the service of God, we tend to consider ourselves first. Make a comparison of your personal house to the church of God; which takes your first consideration? Do you not rather consider your work, business, career, family, and so on first before you think of God and His service?

If we want the best from God, then we must give Him the first place in our lives. Many people experience inexplicable failures and loses in life because they have not truly accorded God the first place. Repent now; do the right thing and God will bless you beyond your imagination.

Thought for the day: "God will grant true blessings when we put Him first."

COVER to COVER: Joel

BIBLE ACCOUNTS AS THEY OCCURRED

See more HERE:
Re: Tithes And Offerings by plainbibletruth: 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2018
Topic: Is Tithing Relevant to Christian Age?
By Tim Iwe (Evang) 07038669369

Introduction
It is quite a blessing to have the privilege of writing an article like this at a time that this subject is in the airwave. There may not have been a best time to discuss this than now. My appreciation goes to Lusada congregation for creating the platform to share this special information so that many will not be ignorant of the will of God (1Thess.4:13). It is said that if you are not informed, you will be deformed. Christianity is an area that many are deformed from time to time due to acceptability of different personality as authority instead of looking for that which is right from the Holy book. The Pharisees asked Jesus “…by what authority do you do these things and who gave you that authority” (Matt.21:32) There is need to find out the source of authority of your action especially on matters of faith for false teachers are in the field deceiving many.
The subject of tithe paying have been a heated argument in the Christian faith from time to time. I call your attention to some reasons in the written word of God concerning this subject. I plead with you to examine the reasons stated below so that you can know that you are obeying God when you pay tithe or not. An action comes from faith in God when it is according the will of God (Heb.11:6) and the will of God is written in the book of life.

Origin of tithe in Ancient Palestine
In the first place, where did Abram who first gave tithe to Melchizedek (Gen.14) got the idea from? There was no law given to our Patriarchal fathers like Adam, Noah, Abram, Isaac and even Jacob to pay tithe. According to the work of Let Us Reason Together, (2009) “Giving a tithe (a portion) was not just a practice by Israel, in ancient history it was practiced throughout the Middle East. It was income for the king and his kingdom, like a tax. It may be regular, voluntary or prescribed by law of a certain country. The Egyptians were required to give a fifth part of their crops to Pharaoh (Gen. 47:24). Abraham, Jacob and others were familiar with this principle being in foreign lands; however, it was not yet given as a command for their nation.

How and Why did Abraham and Jacob paid tithe?
Let us now call attention to one misconception about Abram and tithe paying. There are many who make reference to Abraham today when they want to pay tithe. Paul made it clear that we are children of Abraham by faith (Rom.4:1) Let me shock you first by opening your eye to this truth that reading well about the first tithe recoded in the Bible, you will understand that Abraham did not even give tithe from his possession. Read the statement again. I mean it and that is the truth. He paid tithe only once in his life time. It was not commanded but incidental. He gave tithe from the spoils that he brought back with him from a war (Gen.14:1-18). He gave away ten percent of other people’s captured commodities (Heb.7:4) Note that verse 4 of Hebrews chapter 11 calls it “spoils” Let me also make you to understand that Abraham did not even take any part of what he used in paying that tithe home (Gen.14:21-24) You can now see that Abraham did not became rich because he paid tithe. He was rich before paying tithe once for life which was not from his possession. The tithe Abraham paid is NOT by command but a free will offering. Abraham was never taught or instructed by God to give a tenth, nor did he discover the law of tithing.
As recorded in Genesis 28: 20: ”And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.” This second case recorded before the law of Moses was done once too. Why take a command from what these men decided to do on their own not commanded by God?

Law of tithe among the Jews

Let us now look briefly into the law of tithe given to the children of Israel and see if it is the same with what is going on in so called godly assembly today. Because of space, it will be in an outline format here but it will be understandable too. Akpobọmẹ (2018) in his work on tithe classified the OT tithe into 4.
1. The Main Tithe: all Israelites were commanded to pay this to the Levitical priests (Num.18:19-32; Mal. 3:7-10). See also Deut.18:3-8; Neh. 13:10-12).
2. Yearly Tithe: every Jewish family is expected to celebrate once every year with their families in Jerusalem or a selected location by God (Deut.14:22-27; 2Ch.6:6).
3. The Third Year Tithe: This was a communal fellowship for the poor, the widows, and the strangers, which was celebrated before God once every three years. It was equally important under the Law of Moses just like the other tithes (Deut. 14:28, 29).
4. The Tithe of Tithes: This was the tithe to be given by the Levitical priests to God from the tithe they collected from the Israelites (Num.18:25-28).

It is Disobedience to Pay tithe with Money
There is another important eye opener we want to show you now. Are you ready for the shocker? It is act of disobedience to God for a Priest to collect tithe from a fellow Priest (Num.18:21,24,26) for the Levites were not allowed to have inheritance. It is also showing a high level of disrespect to the grace of God today to pay tithe with money. Yes, the reason is that such kills the purpose of the tithe (Deut.14:24-26) God did not ask Israel to give their money but to give food items. It seems to me that you are saying in your mind that is what I have today. If God is omniscient, then He knows that you have money today but did not ask you to pay money as tithe. The Jews had money then too but God asked for products from them not money (Deut 26:13)

The Change of Priesthood and its Implication

It is painful that the most confusion that exist in Christian faith today is as a result of many not accepting that God has done away with the laws of Moses. It is not a challenge that stated today, even the Jews find it very difficult to accept that simple truth. That was the war between them and Paul in his earthly ministry. The author of the Book of Hebrews in Chapter 7 gave a analysis that concluded in verse 12 with this statement “For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law” Why are many people fighting God today who made it clear that He had done away with the first covenant upon which the law was set. He has done away with the Levitical priesthood upon which tithe was set. Please, can take a break and read the bible passages below and your eye of understanding will open to these simple truth. (2Cor.3:6-12;Heb.10:9,10;Rom. 7:1-7; Col. 2:14,16; Gal. 3:24,25)

Divine law of Giving in Christianity
You then may be wondering how will the church care for her workers and meet her daily needs and mission projects. Like most other organizations, the church needs financial income to accomplish her work. Knowing this, God has authorized churches to raise funds by taking up collections from the members (1 Cor. 16:1,2; 2 Cor. 8 & 9; Acts 4:32-5:11; 11:27-30; 2:44,45). However, the principle guiding collection by Christians is different from the one guiding the payment of tithe.
Let Us First Give Our Lives to God’s work freely today
Our lives presented as holy offering on the water of baptism for the remission of sins is what is most important to God (Acts.2:36-42) The kingdom of God on earth in a composition of those who have given their lives to be guided by the doctrine of the Apostles (Acts 2:42) They are saints whose minds are going through transformation daily till it gets to perfection (Rom. 12:1-2) These are disciples who have been taught and determined to give according to their ability.. (See also 2 Cor. 8:12; Mark 12:41-44; Matt. 25:14-30.)

Conclusion
The law of old was interested in the physical or the man while the law of liberty in Christ is interested in the heart of man and why you do what you are doing. Giving is one way you show your service to God and it must be done as you propose in your heart, cheerfully and not by compulsion. Tithe is of compulsion and therefore is a cause in this dispensation to any to pay it and fail in other laws (Gal.3:10) God loves a cheerful giver.

Work Cited

1. Diffrẹ-Odiete Akpobọmẹ New Testament Christianity
and Payment of Tithe (2018)

2. http://www.letusreason.org/doct54.htm

3. Wiersbe , Warren W. The Bible Exposition Commentary: Old Testament © 2001-2004 by All rights reserved

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tithes And Offerings by MuttleyLaff: 7:08pm On Sep 14, 2018
plainbibletruth:

Introduction
It is quite a blessing to have the privilege of writing an article like this at a time that this subject is in the airwave. There may not have been a best time to discuss this than now. My appreciation goes to Lusada congregation for creating the platform to share this special information so that many will not be ignorant of the will of God (1Thess.4:13). It is said that if you are not informed, you will be deformed. Christianity is an area that many are deformed from time to time due to acceptability of different personality as authority instead of looking for that which is right from the Holy book. The Pharisees asked Jesus “…by what authority do you do these things and who gave you that authority” (Matt.21:32) There is need to find out the source of authority of your action especially on matters of faith for false teachers are in the field deceiving many.
The subject of tithe paying have been a heated argument in the Christian faith from time to time. I call your attention to some reasons in the written word of God concerning this subject. I plead with you to examine the reasons stated below so that you can know that you are obeying God when you pay tithe or not. An action comes from faith in God when it is according the will of God (Heb.11:6) and the will of God is written in the book of life.

In the first place, where did Abram who first gave tithe to Melchizedek (Gen.14) got the idea from?
There was no law given to our Patriarchal fathers like Adam, Noah, Abram, Isaac and even Jacob to pay tithe.
According to the work of Let Us Reason Together, (2009) “Giving a tithe (a portion) was not just a practice by Israel, in ancient history it was practiced throughout the Middle East.

It was income for the king and his kingdom, like a tax.
It may be regular, voluntary or prescribed by law of a certain country.
The Egyptians were required to give a fifth part of their crops to Pharaoh (Gen. 47:24).
Abraham, Jacob and others were familiar with this principle being in foreign lands;
however, it was not yet given as a command for their nation.

Let us now call attention to one misconception about Abram and tithe paying. There are many who make reference to Abraham today when they want to pay tithe. Paul made it clear that we are children of Abraham by faith (Rom.4:1) Let me shock you first by opening your eye to this truth that reading well about the first tithe recoded in the Bible, you will understand that Abraham did not even give tithe from his possession. Read the statement again. I mean it and that is the truth. He paid tithe only once in his life time. It was not commanded but incidental. He gave tithe from the spoils that he brought back with him from a war (Gen.14:1-18). He gave away ten percent of other people’s captured commodities (Heb.7:4) Note that verse 4 of Hebrews chapter 11 calls it “spoils” Let me also make you to understand that Abraham did not even take any part of what he used in paying that tithe home (Gen.14:21-24)

You can now see that Abraham did not became rich because he paid tithe.
He was rich before paying tithe once for life which was not from his possession.
The tithe Abraham paid is NOT by command but a free will offering.
Abraham was never taught or instructed by God to give a tenth, nor did he discover the law of tithing.

As recorded in Genesis 28: 20: ”And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.”
This second case recorded before the law of Moses was done once too.
Why take a command from what these men decided to do on their own not commanded by God?

Let us now look briefly into the law of tithe given to the children of Israel and see if it is the same with what is going on in so called godly assembly today. Because of space, it will be in an outline format here but it will be understandable too. Akpobọmẹ (2018) in his work on tithe classified the OT tithe into 4.
1. The Main Tithe: all Israelites were commanded to pay this to the Levitical priests (Num.18:19-32; Mal. 3:7-10). See also Deut.18:3-8; Neh. 13:10-12).
2. Yearly Tithe: every Jewish family is expected to celebrate once every year with their families in Jerusalem or a selected location by God (Deut.14:22-27; 2Ch.6:6).
3. The Third Year Tithe: This was a communal fellowship for the poor, the widows, and the strangers, which was celebrated before God once every three years. It was equally important under the Law of Moses just like the other tithes (Deut. 14:28, 29).
4. The Tithe of Tithes: This was the tithe to be given by the Levitical priests to God from the tithe they collected from the Israelites (Num.18:25-28).

There is another important eye opener we want to show you now. Are you ready for the shocker? It is act of disobedience to God for a Priest to collect tithe from a fellow Priest (Num.18:21,24,26) for the Levites were not allowed to have inheritance. It is also showing a high level of disrespect to the grace of God today to pay tithe with money. Yes, the reason is that such kills the purpose of the tithe (Deut.14:24-26) God did not ask Israel to give their money but to give food items. It seems to me that you are saying in your mind that is what I have today. If God is omniscient, then He knows that you have money today but did not ask you to pay money as tithe. The Jews had money then too but God asked for products from them not money (Deut 26:13)

It is painful that the most confusion that exist in Christian faith today is as a result of many not accepting that God has done away with the laws of Moses. It is not a challenge that stated today, even the Jews find it very difficult to accept that simple truth. That was the war between them and Paul in his earthly ministry. The author of the Book of Hebrews in Chapter 7 gave a analysis that concluded in verse 12 with this statement “For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law” Why are many people fighting God today who made it clear that He had done away with the first covenant upon which the law was set. He has done away with the Levitical priesthood upon which tithe was set. Please, can take a break and read the bible passages below and your eye of understanding will open to these simple truth. (2Cor.3:6-12;Heb.10:9,10;Rom. 7:1-7; Col. 2:14,16; Gal. 3:24,25)

You then may be wondering how will the church care for her workers and meet her daily needs and mission projects. Like most other organizations, the church needs financial income to accomplish her work. Knowing this, God has authorized churches to raise funds by taking up collections from the members (1 Cor. 16:1,2; 2 Cor. 8 & 9; Acts 4:32-5:11; 11:27-30; 2:44,45). However, the principle guiding collection by Christians is different from the one guiding the payment of tithe.
Our lives presented as holy offering on the water of baptism for the remission of sins is what is most important to God (Acts.2:36-42) The kingdom of God on earth in a composition of those who have given their lives to be guided by the doctrine of the Apostles (Acts 2:42) They are saints whose minds are going through transformation daily till it gets to perfection (Rom. 12:1-2) These are disciples who have been taught and determined to give according to their ability.. (See also 2 Cor. 8:12; Mark 12:41-44; Matt. 25:14-30.)

Conclusion
The law of old was interested in the physical or the man while the law of liberty in Christ is interested in the heart of man and why you do what you are doing. Giving is one way you show your service to God and it must be done as you propose in your heart, cheerfully and not by compulsion. Tithe is of compulsion and therefore is a cause in this dispensation to any to pay it and fail in other laws (Gal.3:10) God loves a cheerful giver.

Work Cited

3. Wiersbe , Warren W. The Bible Exposition Commentary: Old Testament © 2001-2004 by All rights reserved

MuttleyLaff:
Abraham tithing wasnt even voluntary and discretionary

Abraham, simply was following a customary practice that needed to be carried after successful win(s) of fighting a battle or war.

Abraham gave tithe under a custom law of that prevailing society setting,
this compelled him to give a tenth of war spoils to a king cum priest of considerable or worthwhile repute

The first appearance of tithing, in the bible, does get a first mention between Melchizedek and Abraham
however, the truth is, neither Melchizedek and Abraham started the 10% giving otherwise known as tithing,
As a matter of fact, tithing was a prevailing practice in the secular world of the Mesopotamia bible day times of that era

Abraham didnt take up arms and go into battle again, so there was no reason for Abraham to tithe again,
and so no reason to tithe to Melchizedek or to any other local ruler cum priest worthy of consideration

This is why there is not another mention of Abraham repeating an act of giving tithe again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:37pm On Sep 16, 2018
DAILY ⓂANNA
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 2018

FAITHFULNESS IN TITHING

TEXT: NUMBERS 18:20-32

KEY VERSE: "Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe" (Numbers 18:26).

From God's instruction to Moses, the Levites were not to have any inheritance of their own among the children of Israel. The Lord was their portion and inheritance forever because of their office. Therefore, the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offered unto the Lord, were given to the Levites to inherit. It is noteworthy that God commanded them to give tithe out of the tithes which the other Israelites gave unto the Lord. No one was exempted from giving to God a portion of what was received from Him.

Tithe, as it is known, is one-tenth of a person's income. God expects believers, like the children of Israel, to supply the material needs of His house and of those who have devoted their lives to meeting the spiritual needs of His people. One of the ways to ensure this is through regular offering and tithes (Malachi 3:10). The Levites of today are not exempted from giving to God. Like the Levites of old, they are to give tithes of their God-given portions. Believers must attach importance to tithes because faithfulness in giving of tithes attracts blessings: "...prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing..." (Malachi 3:10).

Additionally, our giving to God in the New Testament must not be limited to a mere one-tenth of our incomes, neither must it rest on pecuniary matters alone. God gave His Best. Therefore, we must, in return, give our all: time, talents and treasure.

Thought for the day: "Withholding from God His due portion is limiting God's goodness in one's life."

COVER to COVER: Daniel 4-6

See more HERE:
Re: Tithes And Offerings by plainbibletruth: 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2018
What is God's house today?

Who are the Levites today?

When did tithe transit from AGRIC PRODUCE that the Scripture said to become one tenth of a person's INCOME?

What is faithfulness in rightly dividing the word of truth?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:24am On Sep 30, 2018
DAILY ⓂANNA
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30, 2018

WEALTHY PAUPERS

TEXT: MATTHEW 19:23-30

KEY VERSE: "Then said Jesus unto His disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 19:23).

The New York Times of March 15, 1931 carried the obituary of Ella Wendel who died at the age of 78. She was unmarried and left a family fortune of more than $100,000,000. She was the youngest of the Wendel family of six sisters and one brother, John, who was the eldest. John was able to influence his sisters not to marry and they all lived in the same house like paupers. By the time she died, Ella Wendel had only one dress which she made herself and she used it for 25 years. She died a wealthy woman, but her family's compulsion to hold on to their possessions made her live like a poor person. The Wendels provide a classic example of how not to handle wealth.

In our passage for meditation today, Jesus gave His disciples true perspectives on wealth. He made them to understand that many wealthy people would not be able to get to heaven because of their wealth. Jesus also compared the ephemeral things of this earth with the true riches that His followers will have here and hereafter. He said that the believer would be happier and richer by far in the regeneration when He shall sit "in the throne of His glory."

Wisdom demands we learn from the mistakes of the rich fool, the rich young man and even the Wendels of this world. Material wealth, position and power do not last forever. We must therefore "lay up our treasures in heaven."

Thought for the day: "Money is a good servant but a bad master."

COVER to COVER: Malachi

See more HERE:
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Iwebest: 3:18pm On Oct 01, 2018

Introduction
It is quite a blessing to have the privilege of writing an article like this at a time that this subject is in the airwave. There may not have been a best time to discuss this than now. My appreciation goes to Lusada congregation for creating the platform to share this special information so that many will not be ignorant of the will of God (1Thess.4:13). It is said that if you are not informed, you will be deformed. Christianity is an area that many are deformed from time to time due to acceptability of different personality as authority instead of looking for that which is right from the Holy book. The Pharisees asked Jesus “…by what authority do you do these things and who gave you that authority” (Matt.21.32) There is need to find out the source of authority of your action especially on matters of faith for false teachers are in the field deceiving many.

In the first place, where did Abram who first gave tithe to Melchizedek (Gen.14) got the idea from? There was no law given to our Patriarchal fathers like Adam, Noah, Abram, Isaac and even Jacob to pay tithe. According to the work of Let Us Reason Together, (2009) “Giving a tithe (a portion) was not just a practice by Israel, in ancient history it was practiced throughout the Middle East. It was income for the king and his kingdom, like a tax. It may be regular, voluntary or prescribed by law of a certain country. The Egyptians were required to give a fifth part of their crops to Pharaoh (Gen. 47.24). Abraham, Jacob and others were familiar with this principle being in foreign lands; however, it was not yet given as a command for their nation.

Let us now call attention to one misconception about Abram and tithe paying. There are many who make reference to Abraham today when they want to pay tithe. Paul made it clear that we are children of Abraham by faith (Rom.4:1) Let me shock you first by opening your eye to this truth that reading well about the first tithe recoded in the Bible, you will understand that Abraham did not even give tithe from his possession. Read the statement again. I mean it and that is the truth. He paid tithe only once in his life time. It was not commanded but incidental. He gave tithe from the spoils that he brought back with him from a war (Gen.14:1-18). He gave away ten percent of other people’s captured commodities (Heb.7:4) Note that verse 4 of Hebrews chapter 11 calls it “spoils” Let me also make you to understand that Abraham did not even take any part of what he used in paying that tithe home (Gen.14:21-24) You can now see that Abraham did not became rich because he paid tithe. He was rich before paying tithe once for life which was not from his possession. The tithe Abraham paid is NOT by command but a free will offering. Abraham was never taught or instructed by God to give a tenth, nor did he discover the law of tithing.
As recorded in Genesis 28: 20: ”And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.” This second case recorded before the law of Moses was done once too. Why take a command from what these men decided to do on their own not commanded by God?

Conclusion

Work Cited

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:18pm On Nov 27, 2018
Higher Everydɑy
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2018

A GENEROUS GIVER
TEXT: MARK 7:15-23

"There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?" (John 6:9).

Are you always available and ready to help those in need? You learn a lesson from the lad referred to in our text today. This young lad was identified among the multitude that assembled to hear Jesus in the wilderness. Youth boy/girl, where do you normally go to? Are you always found among God's people? Do you love Jesus and fellowship with Him and other Christians? The lad was not only present but had something to give. He willingly surrendered what he had for the benefit of others. He did not withhold it. Do you know that you too have something that you can give to God and His people? What do you do with your God-given talents?

Beloved, do not hoard your gifts from God and His people. Except you use your talents, they will remain dormant. You can help as a Christian youth worker in your local church and school fellowship. Some units like ushering, choir, evangelism, intercession, visiting, and electronics are in dire need of you. Remember also to give your tithe and offering as God blesses you.

Chɑllenge: "Offer something to God and receive His best."

Prɑyer: "Lord, help me to surrender my all to You."

Quote: "You can give to others."

Bible Reɑding in one Yeɑr: 2 Kings 4:42-44

See more here:
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:15pm On Dec 17, 2018
Enjoying God's Covenant – Part 2
By Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
01 July 2018 | 4:14 am

God demands that we return to Him and restore all the tithes to His sanctuary. He challenged the children of Israel who had gone away from Him and stopped paying their tithes to "return" and "Bring all the tithes into [His] storehouse." God's challenge was not to condemn them. As children of God, when we are rebuked, we should not interpret it as condemnation. We are often rebuked so that we can please the Lord.

As we fulfil our obligation of tithing to God, we will have our:

(1) Faithfulness rewarded. "prove Me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing."
(2) Fullness received. "There shall not be room enough to receive [the blessings]."
(3) Foes rebuked. "And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes."
(4) Fruitfulness regained. "And he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground." There will be a restoration to all the destruction suffered in the past in our businesses and the work of our hands.
(5) Fertility restored. "Neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time."
(6) Favour recognised. If we obey the Lord and duly pay our tithes, "All nations shall call [us] blessed" and the favour of God upon us will be recognised.
(7) Future reassured. "For ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts."

We should not listen to false prophets who claim that tithing is Old Testament teaching; and since it is no longer operational, we can give our tithes and offerings at random rates. They forget that Abraham commenced it; Jacob continued it; Moses commanded it; Christ commended it and none can cancel it. As we liberally give to the Lord, He will give us without measure. However, we must not give below one-tenth of whatever we earn.

Christ taught about tithes. As Christians, He does not want us to be like the Scribes and the Pharisees who religiously paid their tithes but ignored salvation, righteousness, love for God and helping other people, so that we can be part of the promised blessings. Every member of the family must be encouraged to give at all times. When we do these expectantly, God will fulfil His promises because He is not a debtor. Tithes have been commanded to be brought into the house of God and not elsewhere. When we obey the Lord and bring our tithes to the right place, God's blessings will not elude us.

God rewards every faithful servant who labours in His service. Those who serve God faithfully will be remembered on the final day. When we serve God in any capacity, there are always fruits for our labour. Many people ignore the call to serve the Lord and they consider it "vain to serve God." We must give all in the service of the Lord. God, and not corporations of the world, should be number one in our lives. Those who do not regard the Lord and His demand to give Him a befitting service carry out a dreadful revolt. But the dutiful remnant will be remembered on that final day for the reward of faithfulness.

There will be reward for those who heed the Lord's call with a delightful response. We must realise that whatever we give our time to in this world will be burnt up eventually. Only what we do for Christ will matter at the end of life. The people who refuse to serve God will be condemned "to shame and everlasting contempt," while the wise ones "shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and… as the stars for ever and ever."

Further Reading (King James Version): Malachi 3:1; 2:17; Matthew 11:10,11; Mark 1:2,3; Luke 1:72; John 1:6,7; Psalm 110:1; Isaiah 9:6,7; Haggai 2:7; Malachi 3:7-12; Genesis 14:18-20; 28:20,22; 1 Corinthians 16:1-3; Matthew 23:23; Zechariah 8:23; Malachi 3:13-18; Daniel 12:2,3.

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/ibru-ecumenical-centre/enjoying-gods-covenant-part-2/
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:32pm On Dec 18, 2018
Get Connected To Hope: Feasting after the Famine at Deeper Life National December Retreat 2018

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2019
This Is That Year.

This is that year I have been telling you about; the year when truly, everything becomes new.

The year of endless possibilities, unlimited potentials and divine favour backing it all. It is the year we have been waiting for because God has promised to do us good.

This is that year when the floodgates of heaven have already been opened, the blessings we have long prayed for is on its way and an outpouring of revival has begun.

A year when we will keep looking for more and more chances to share the good news of Christ, to share testimonies of his miraculous work in our lives and to share a word and actions of faith, hope and love.

Remember when you shed tears of pain, distraught and fear, this year, tears of wonderment, fulfilment and immeasurable joy will be ceaseless in running down your cheeks.

Children for those who have sought for it, the family that wants one gets one, those who desired twins, will get theirs, and those who have prayed and sought for long, have you started preparing? Multiple births are coming your way.

Admissions into institution of higher learning, scholarships to back them up and retentive and innovative brains to ensure you emerge with a First class has been placed on you.

Start to practice how to share your testimony, because you will have to do it, and do it again, and then share an even bigger one.
Those that expect an outpouring leave home with an umbrella, those that know God has made this year just for them leave their house every day with a smile and the assurance that "All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Our tears have been wiped off, our sorrows turned to joy and our hope has been restored.

When I told you that this is the year we have been waiting for, do you now know what I mean? Why not start counting your blessings and naming them one by one, because, in twelve months time, they will be too much for you to count.

Are you ready for the best year you have ever lived? Don't forget, there will be no lack, no loss and no limitations in your life this year.
This is your year.

See more HERE:

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2019
I agree paying of tithe should be an expression of faith not a fulfillment of law.

God owns all things we are just keepers. God bless you op
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:23am On Jan 04, 2019
solite3:
I agree paying of tithe should be an expression of faith not a fulfillment of law.

God owns all things we are just keepers. God bless you op

Remain blessed. smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:21pm On Jan 08, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

By Pastor W. F. Kumuyi

God demands that we return to Him and restore all the tithes to His sanctuary. He challenged the children of Israel who had gone away from Him and stopped paying their tithes to "return" and "Bring all the tithes into [His] storehouse." God's challenge was not to condemn them. As children of God, when we are rebuked, we should not interpret it as condemnation. We are often rebuked so that we can please the Lord.

(1) Faithfulness rewarded. "prove Me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing."
(2) Fullness received. "There shall not be room enough to receive [the blessings]."
(4) Fruitfulness regained. "And he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground." There will be a restoration to all the destruction suffered in the past in our businesses and the work of our hands.
(5) Fertility restored. "Neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time."
(6) Favour recognised. If we obey the Lord and duly pay our tithes, "All nations shall call [us] blessed" and the favour of God upon us will be recognised.
(7) Future reassured. "For ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts."

We should not listen to false prophets who claim that tithing is Old Testament teaching; and since it is no longer operational, we can give our tithes and offerings at random rates. They forget that Abraham commenced it; Jacob continued it; Moses commanded it; Christ commended it and none can cancel it. As we liberally give to the Lord, He will give us without measure. However, we must not give below one-tenth of whatever we earn.

Christ taught about tithes. As Christians, He does not want us to be like the Scribes and the Pharisees who religiously paid their tithes but ignored salvation, righteousness, love for God and helping other people, so that we can be part of the promised blessings. Every member of the family must be encouraged to give at all times. When we do these expectantly, God will fulfil His promises because He is not a debtor. Tithes have been commanded to be brought into the house of God and not elsewhere. When we obey the Lord and bring our tithes to the right place, God's blessings will not elude us.

God rewards every faithful servant who labours in His service. Those who serve God faithfully will be remembered on the final day. When we serve God in any capacity, there are always fruits for our labour. Many people ignore the call to serve the Lord and they consider it "vain to serve God." We must give all in the service of the Lord. God, and not corporations of the world, should be number one in our lives. Those who do not regard the Lord and His demand to give Him a befitting service carry out a dreadful revolt. But the dutiful remnant will be remembered on that final day for the reward of faithfulness.

There will be reward for those who heed the Lord's call with a delightful response. We must realise that whatever we give our time to in this world will be burnt up eventually. Only what we do for Christ will matter at the end of life. The people who refuse to serve God will be condemned "to shame and everlasting contempt," while the wise ones "shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and… as the stars for ever and ever."

Further Reading (King James Version): Malachi 3:1; 2:17; Matthew 11:10,11; Mark 1:2,3; Luke 1:72; John 1:6,7; Psalm 110:1; Isaiah 9:6,7; Haggai 2:7; Malachi 3:7-12; Genesis 14:18-20; 28:20,22; 1 Corinthians 16:1-3; Matthew 23:23; Zechariah 8:23; Malachi 3:13-18; Daniel 12:2,3.

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/ibru-ecumenical-centre/enjoying-gods-covenant-part-2/
Re: Tithes And Offerings by brocab: 10:58am On Jun 10, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/ibru-ecumenical-centre/enjoying-gods-covenant-part-2/ God demands that we return to Him and restore all the tithes to His sanctuary. He challenged the children of Israel who had gone away from Him and stopped paying their tithes to “return” and “Bring all the tithes into [His] storehouse”. God’s challenge was not to condemn them. As children of God, when we are rebuked, we should not interpret it as condemnation. We are often rebuked so that we can please the Lord.
I suppose if we were to rely more on scripture instead of listening to someone who preaches another doctrine-not the same doctrine Paul preached, then I suppose it's time to refreshing yourselves back to the Word of God..{2 Corinthians 11:4}
{1 Corinthians 9:18} But if we were to preach like Paul-we would preach the Word of God free of charge.
{Matthew 6:26} The birds neither sow, nor do they reap, nor put into barns, and yet God feeds them, how much more are you..
solite3:
I agree paying of tithe should be an expression of faith not a fulfillment of law. God owns all things we are just keepers. God bless you op
{Galatians 3:5, 23-25} But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?—Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
If tithes really exist in this day and age, then the Church will still be under law, we would think the poverty rate in Africa would be nil, matter of fact the world.
OLAADEGBU:
By Pastor W. F. Kumuyi

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2019
brocab:

I suppose if we were to rely more on scripture instead of listening to someone who preaches another doctrine-not the same doctrine Paul preached, then I suppose it's time to refreshing yourselves back to the Word of God..{2 Corinthians 11:4}
{1 Corinthians 9:18} But if we were to preach like Paul-we would preach the Word of God free of charge.
{Matthew 6:26} The birds neither sow, nor do they reap, nor put into barns, and yet God feeds them, how much more are you..

{Galatians 3:5, 23-25} But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?—Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
If tithes really exist in this day and age, then the Church will still be under law, we would think the poverty rate in Africa would be nil, matter of fact the world.

Do you really believe what Apostle Paul preached? undecided
Re: Tithes And Offerings by brocab: 4:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
It's the Word of God. grin
{1 Corinthians 9:18} What then is my reward? [Just this:] that, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge [to everyone], so as not to take advantage of my rights [as a preacher and apostle] in [preaching] the gospel.
A prosperity preacher would say" no money-no gospel..
OLAADEGBU:

Do you really believe what Apostle Paul preached? undecided
Re: Tithes And Offerings by brocab: 8:40pm On Jul 27, 2019
{Malachi 1:6-11} “A son honors his father, And a servant his master. If then I am the Father, Where is My honor? And if I am a Master, Where is My reverence? Says the Lord of hosts.
{7} “You offer defiled food on My altar, But say, ‘In what way have we defiled You?’ By saying, ‘The table of the Lord is contemptible.
{8} And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice, Is it not evil? And when you offer the lame and sick, Is it not evil? Offer it then to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you favorably?” Says the Lord of hosts.
{9} “But now entreat God’s favor, That He may be gracious to us. While this is being done by your hands, Will He accept you favorably?” Says the Lord of hosts.
{10} “Who is there even among you who would shut the doors, So that you would not kindle fire on My altar in vain? I have no pleasure in you,” Says the Lord of hosts, “Nor will I accept an offering from your hands.
{11} For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down, My name shall be great among the Gentiles; In every place incense shall be offered to My name, And a pure offering; For My name shall be great among the nations,” Says the Lord of hosts.
If we believe in the one true God-we are blessed, giving or not 'we are still blessed, if we were to spend more time in the Word of God-testing everything that is preached by a Pastor, we wouldn't be arguing over such men of corrupt minds-destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is their means to financial gain..
I was invited to a bible study last week, bringing with me my bible-purposely I left it in my car, because these day's we don't see bibles floating around the Church anymore, sure enough I was right.
As I got to the meeting-I sat down among the small group that attended-firstly I noticed-No bibles around the table-while learning about the meeting-I was given a book that was written by the Pastor, in the meeting the speaker said to us, if we choose to continual this study we need to pay cash and purchase the Pastor's book.
It show's without Money there's no-Gospel, the Church is deafeningly about money, I prefer the bible-and if the Pastor had copied from the bible then what is his problem, copying someone else's work and expecting to be paid is heresy.
In every Church-great or small-there's at least 10% of believers unfed hungry and disabled crying out to God, "Why is that?
Malachi deafeningly has all the answers "will a man rob God.
{1 Timothy 6:3-5} Modern day Pharisees who built the Church into a racist state of mind-fighting amongst themselves, arguing, because men of corruption, destitute of the truth who suppose that godliness leads them to mega financial gain.
I am not against giving-but giving is not just 10% tithing either, I don't even think about it' but I have giving $$$ thousands in gift's away every year to those I believe are in need, I do my best, and I spend hours night and day preparing, moulding, building, shaping, painting, designing, and creating a product, that would sell, I don't ask for money, nor do I ask for a refund, I don't ask for handouts, I am not greedy-and this is how it should be-what is freely giving by God, is freely handed out to those in need.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:06am On Oct 15, 2019
"Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine" (Proverbs 3:9-10).
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:20pm On Oct 22, 2019
"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Malachi 3:10). smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Oct 25, 2019
Only Jesus Can Save. cheesy

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Nov 09, 2019
DAILY ⓂANNA
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 09, 2019

Faithfulness In Tithing
TEXT: Numbers 18:20-32

"Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe" (Numbers 18:26).

The Levites were not to have inheritance of their own among the children of Israel; the Lord is their portion and inheritance forever because of their office. Therefore the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offered unto the Lord was given to the Levites to inherit. It is worth nothing that God commanded the Levites who were ministers to giving tithe out of the tithes which the other Israelites gave unto the Lord. No one was exempted from giving to God a portion of what was received from Him. Though the Levites had no inheritance of their own such as land or operated any personal business, yet, they were to treat the Lord’s portion given to them like everyone else; to take care of the priests and the tabernacle of the Lord.

Tithe is one tenth of a person's income. God expects believers like the children of Israel to supply the material needs of His house and of those who have devoted their lives to meeting the spiritual needs of His people. One of the ways to ensure this is regular offering of our tithes (Malachi 3:10). The Levites of today are not exempted from giving to God, like the Levites of old. Believers must attach importance to tithing because our prosperity in life partly hinges on this.

Many people are impoverished today because of their unfaithfulness in giving tithes. Faithfulness in giving our tithes attracts blessing. “... and prove me now herewith, ... if I will not open you the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing ...” (Malachi 3:10). Unfaithfulness on the other hand attracts a curse. “...but ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse...” (Malachi 3:8,9). Avoid self-inflicted curse by being faithful.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY "Do not hold back Gods portion"

COVER TO COVER: Lamentations 1-3

See more here:
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:17pm On May 28, 2022
"Is tithing necessary to maintain your salvation?"

See why it is not necessary to tithe in order to maintain your salvation at http://ow.ly/2j2h50JjcLS
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:43am On May 29, 2022
Worship Service | Day 6 || Extra-Ordinary Breakthrough Global Crusade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_hJYKqprIM
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:05pm On May 29, 2022
Day 6 || Extra-Ordinary Breakthrough Global Crusade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZOHi45uu0

The answer still is and will ever be JESUS. Join us at this global crusade to experience the POWER of JESUS for Extra-Ordinary Breakthrough:
Theme: Jesus Power for Extra-Ordinary Breakthrough
Date: May 24 - 29, 2022.
Time: 16:00 GMT daily and 07:00 GMT on Sunday, May 29, 2022
Programme Guide: #
French: https://www.youtube.com/DCLMFrench
Portuguese: https://www.youtube.com/DCLMPortuguese
Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdb1AzEksSS9XJtBRlbSWRg
Yoruba: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_8VvMiqfESUVTkeCKHUobw
Igbo: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8JYoq8Gx13ZI4vdXXmDlhg
Hausa: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcLD3D3ej4ELZpGla4NQ9yg
Facebook:
https://facebook.com/pastorkumuyiofficial
https://facebook.com/dclmhq
YouTube:
https://youtube.com/dclmhq
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/dclmhq
https://www.instagram.com/officialwfkumuyi
DCLM Webcast:
https://webcast.dclm.org
DCLM Radio
https://radio.dclm.org
You can also download the DCLM Radio app on Google Play store.
If you just gave your life to Jesus Christ, please click on the link below to help assist you further in your walk with the Lord.
Link: https://dclm.org/connectwithchrist/
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:22pm On May 30, 2022
Bible Study Service || May 30, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-TKXwip0og
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:55pm On May 31, 2022
Leaders Development || May 31, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riDl3pfKm_Q

@18:45 hours.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:08am On Jun 05, 2022
Worship Service || June 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1bTHCATAiQ

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 214
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.