Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano (11182 Views)

PHOTOS; PMB Kicks Off 6th Round Of Polio Vaccination In His Hometown In Katsina / El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / Why We Should Not Allow Bill Gate's Polio Vaccination In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by karlmax2: 11:51am On Feb 08, 2013
Twelve people, including polio vaccinators, have been killed in two shootings at health centres in northern Nigeria, witnesses have told the BBC.

In the first attack in Kano four polio vaccinators were shot dead by gunmen who drove up on a motor tricycle.

Thirty minutes later gunmen opened fire on women waiting with their children in Hotoro, outside Kano city.

In 2003, northern Nigeria's Muslim leaders opposed polio vaccinations, claiming they could cause infertility.

Kano banned motorbikes from carrying passengers after a recent attack on the prominent Muslim leader, the emir of Kano.

Residents told the BBC's Yusuf Yakasai in Kano that those injured in the shooting at the health centre there had been taken to hospital.

It is not clear if health workers were among the casualties in Hotoro, where gunmen also approached using a motor tricycle.

Analysts believe the attack last month on the emir of Kano may have been the work of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram.

The group - whose name translates as "Western education is forbidden" - says it is fighting to overthrow the government and impose Sharia.

It has been blamed for the deaths of some 1,400 people in central and northern Nigeria since 2010.

Nigeria is one of only three countries where polio is still endemic.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21381773?ocid=socialflow_twitter_africa

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by TheKingsQueen: 12:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
Oh no! What nonesense!
I don't know why some northerners are resistant to polio vaccination. I remember during my NYSC days when i participated as a vaccination officer in the north, many parents refused to allow us give the drugs to their children.

Is it not enough to resist the medicine and allow the health workers go their way. Why would you kill the people who are working for the health of your children. It's uncalled for.

Since it is now like this, the Ministry of health really needs to collaborate with the security agencies towards the safety of these vaccination officers. They should have armed policemen accompanying them throughout the exercise

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by 13volts(m): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
Allah the day similar incident happened in Lawless
region of Pakistan, I had this strange feeling these
bleeping Haramists will try and do a copy cat.
Allah it is high time we Hausa People start attacking
these Kanuris out of Kano. They should go back to their
Haramists states of Yobe & Borno and do their
Haramists ideologies and leave us alone.
Each time a cell is uncovered by Kano people
dismantled by JTF another cell will be sent from
Borno.
At the end people in the South of the country will be
blaming the Hausa People for all Boko Haramists attack when infact we are victims in this madness. Am Hausa, am not Kanuri, Shekau, Ndume, Bama and co are Kanuris. We are different, with a different language, different culture.

I for example don't understand a single word in Kanuri, we have many Kanuris that don't even speak or understand Hausa. Why blame my tribe for the offence of another tribe?

Is like blaming IGBOS for ALLU massacre

48 Likes

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by taharqa: 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2013
Its such a pity..

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by 13volts(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2013
So the extremely daft Boko Haram people are killing health workers in Kano for administering so called western medicine by using WESTERN MADE GUNS AND WEAPONS. The only places where Polio is still occurring in the entire world is in NORTHERN NIGERIA, PAKISTAN and BANGLADESH. Cowards, if you really hate western things why don't you stop using your Western Bombs, Western Motorcycles, Western Cars, Western Telephones, Western Internet, Western Roads. Even in your revered Mecca are there no Hospitals there? Furthermore, if the Boko Haram Idiots researched early Islamic History they will discover that the concept of Hospitals and Medicines were advanced by the earliest Islamists. BOKO HARAM I PUT IT TO YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT MUSLIMS. YOU ARE NOT EVEN FIT TO BE REFERRED TO AS BLOOD THIRSTY SATANISTS. HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by oilyngbati3(m): 12:42pm On Feb 08, 2013
13volts: Allah the day similar incident happened in Lawless
Borno.
blaming the Hausa People for all Boko Haramists attack when infact we are victims in this madness. Am Hausa, am not Kanuri, Shekau, Ndume, Bama and co are Kanuris. We are different, with a different language, different culture.

I for example don't understand a single word in Kanuri, we have many Kanuris that don't even speak or understand Hausa. Why blame my tribe for the offence of another tribe?

spare us the bull crap, it's one north and most of you northerners are boko haramist. BTW, can't you guys be truthful for once and make your point without draging Igbo into it? Didn't you nigerian batty men claimed Nzeogwu, a midwesterner is Igbo back in '66?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2013
Is this a cultural thing or religious belief ? Why intentionally churning out deformed kids that wont be useful to neither themselves or the society ?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by gramci: 12:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
Arewastan I de salute una ooo.
Well done

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Beaf1: 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
spare us the bull crap, it's one north and most of you northerners are boko haramist. BTW, can't you guys be truthful for once and make your point without draging Igbo into it? Didn't you nigerian batty men claimed Nzeogwu, a midwesterner is Igbo back in '66?

^
Ol'boy how far? u get fan belt and super glue? Wetin concern u for this matta now? Abi your oga no gree settle u?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by azpekuliar: 1:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
oily-Yoruba:

It is not fair to make such a blanket generalization.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by cheddarking(m): 1:05pm On Feb 08, 2013
ilugunboy: Is this a cultural thing or religious belief ? Why intentionally churning out deformed kids that wont be useful to neither themselves or the society ?

Are these the people you would TRY in a court?

Are these the people you would give a fair hearing?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by 13volts(m): 1:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
oily-Yoruba:

Go and refresh your brain with alomo mixed with GO-90. smh.. This is 2013 not 1966

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Tolexander: 1:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
one wouldn't blame them if one was following the 1996 problem the children had with the meningitis immunity drug(trovan) produced by the PFIZER DRUG COMPANY in USA, which was tested in Kano during the outbreak of meningitis. The drug caused death and various disease on the children.
http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/28/6/1860.2.full
All the same the action taken i.e killing by the people in Kano is very barbaric.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by jobaskia(m): 1:47pm On Feb 08, 2013
very very barbaric and animalistic

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Ganys: 2:05pm On Feb 08, 2013
ha
Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by livethinme: 2:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
Education. Education. Education.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 08, 2013
If i may say something, i think the issue in the Northern Nigeria is orientation which comes as a result of socialization. Muslim or no Muslim,majority of them are Animal rearers, and hence they're closer to their animals than human beings, there is high tendency for them to behave like those animals they rears too. grin

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by obi123: 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2013
i guess they would rather see their kids deformed and begging the rest of their lives

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Geomac: 2:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
quote author=oily-Yoruba] spare us the bull crap, it's one north and most of you northerners are boko haramist. BTW, can't you guys be truthful for once and make your point without draging Igbo into it? Didn't you nigerian batty men claimed Nzeogwu, a midwesterner is Igbo back in '66?[/quote]

Nyamiri stop this rubbish

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by teskyg: 2:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
They will refuse all modern medication cause Mohammed said so and will come to Lagos when they become handicapped begging babi Allah

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by oboy3(m): 2:23pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hausa people eh?
I fear them pass iraqis

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by bubadaniel13: 2:24pm On Feb 08, 2013
Its so heartbreaking, you just keep wondering the kind of evil heart that some bad eggs in the society have,we must all rise against such evil people

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Truckpusher(m): 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2013
Republic of Arewanistan should be a nice to country live in.....and yet Islam is a religion of peace and compassion...smdh

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by victorcurtis(m): 2:29pm On Feb 08, 2013
northerners so unreasonable
karl max: Twelve people, including polio vaccinators, have been killed in two shootings at health centres in northern Nigeria, witnesses have told the BBC.

In the first attack in Kano four polio vaccinators were shot dead by gunmen who drove up on a motor tricycle.

Thirty minutes later gunmen opened fire on women waiting with their children in Hotoro, outside Kano city.

In 2003, northern Nigeria's Muslim leaders opposed polio vaccinations, claiming they could cause infertility.

Kano banned motorbikes from carrying passengers after a recent attack on the prominent Muslim leader, the emir of Kano.

Residents told the BBC's Yusuf Yakasai in Kano that those injured in the shooting at the health centre there had been taken to hospital.

It is not clear if health workers were among the casualties in Hotoro, where gunmen also approached using a motor tricycle.

Analysts believe the attack last month on the emir of Kano may have been the work of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram.

The group - whose name translates as "Western education is forbidden" - says it is fighting to overthrow the government and impose Sharia.

It has been blamed for the deaths of some 1,400 people in central and northern Nigeria since 2010.

Nigeria is one of only three countries where polio is still endemic.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21381773?ocid=socialflow_twitter_africa

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by oboy3(m): 2:31pm On Feb 08, 2013
Beaf!:

^
Ol'boy how far? u get fan belt and super glue? Wetin concern u for this matta now? Abi your oga no gree settle u?
its better to sell spare part than begging for a living which is common among your people

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by frevangel(m): 2:36pm On Feb 08, 2013
Borno.

I understand your pain, i did my NYSC in the north and had good friends that are still good pals till date. The thing is that they are Christians. I don't know if you are a muslim but most muslims I met while in the north will support boko haram any day. In short, when cpc was formed back in 2010 I saw problem coming and told my friends that I would not want to be in the north in 2011. I was right when i saw all that happened after the election. My point is there is this extremist tendency i saw in the northern muslims even when i went to football viewing centres.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by olu4life(m): 2:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
Borno.

Dude,u've said it all. I got to understand this when i was in north for service last year. Kanuris are the main problem. But people in the west and south that has never been to the north will rather point at hausas.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by theripper2: 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2013
these Kanuris out of Kano.

Spare us all dese redundant and diffuse write-ups. The bottomline is the core North is made up of Maniacs and bestial creatures who are ready to kill for the most exiguous reasons.And cut d crap about u terrorists being, Hausa , Fulani , Kanuri or Chadians.Most of u are unified in violence and speak Hausa and worship ur allah. U all are the same. Educate the philistines u call Brothers.

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by pak: 2:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
13 volts' post is actually a relevant contribution.

Many people outside the Northern have a skewed percerption of Northerners and Hausa.

The problem is many never bother to find out the finer intricacies and this has been to the detriment of the entity called Nigeria

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 08, 2013
Notice how people would try to derail the thread.

Anyway, I am interedted to know what northern muslims think of this. Do they support it or not?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 08, 2013
I thought there's a ceasefire?

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 08, 2013
Why can't they also reject monthly allocation from the federal govt?

FG Awards 13 Roads Contracts Worth N47.8b And N3.6b Satellite Map / APC Reveals Why Crisis Rocks PDP / Pdp’s Understanding Of Restructuring Nigeria Shallow — APC

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51