Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,493 members, 7,836,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano (11188 Views)

PHOTOS; PMB Kicks Off 6th Round Of Polio Vaccination In His Hometown In Katsina / El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / Why We Should Not Allow Bill Gate's Polio Vaccination In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Oabdul: 2:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
Am in d north nau, doin my NYSC nd i participated in d polio exercise wey jst finish! D problem d north pple are sufferin frm is ORIENTATION. I alwys say it nd d tin can start frm deir so calld Clerics, Imam, Emir because dey are d 1 teachin dem wat is nt rite. Nd pple in d North are frm diff tribes. Evn dey are jst like d south south nd south east. Dat if u call sum1 igbo, she go tell U say she nobi igbo. Its hapenin here in d north because sum will say dey are nt Hausa, Tarok, fulani, Kanuri's. Etc. So its only Almighty Allah nd deir Clerics dat i knw can solve deir problem in d North.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by sirhot(m): 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2013
fr_evangel:

I understand your pain, i did my NYSC in the north and had good friends that are still good pals till date. The thing is that they are Christians. I don't know if you are a muslim but most muslims I met while in the north will support boko haram any day. In short, when cpc was formed back in 2010 I saw problem coming and told my friends that I would not want to be in the north in 2011. I was right when i saw all that happened after the election. My point is there is this extremist tendency i saw in the northern muslims even when i went to football viewing centres.
That is very correct, I did my youth service about that time too and one day surprisingly one guy who was a Muslim and was my friend told me and another friend that if we where there during the crisis in plateau he would have killed us and I was like what? I mean we are friends but he said in that situation we are enemies.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by augustineokosu: 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
it is a pity.the northernant have a long way to go

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
o'boy:
Hausa people eh?
I fear them pass iraqis

You don jam iraqis before? undecided

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
OAbdul, no offence but try to type in words with the right spelling. Ayway, I do not agree that it is only 'Almighty Allah' that can solve this problem. I think you and I know the solution.

The thing is do northern muslims agree with what has happened? Do they think vaccinations are harmful? Why? What can be done to avoid things like these occuring in the future?

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by claremont(m): 2:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
13volts: Allah the day similar incident happened in Lawless
region of Pakistan, I had this strange feeling these
bleeping Haramists will try and do a copy cat.
Allah it is high time we Hausa People start attacking
these Kanuris out of Kano. They should go back to their
Haramists states of Yobe & Borno and do their
Haramists ideologies and leave us alone.
Each time a cell is uncovered by Kano people
dismantled by JTF another cell will be sent from
Borno.
At the end people in the South of the country will be
blaming the Hausa People for all Boko Haramists attack when infact we are victims in this madness. Am Hausa, am not Kanuri, Shekau, Ndume, Bama and co are Kanuris. We are different, with a different language, different culture.

I for example don't understand a single word in Kanuri, we have many Kanuris that don't even speak or understand Hausa. Why blame my tribe for the offence of another tribe?

Is like blaming IGBOS for ALLU massacre
Very well said!

It is only the few ignorant Nigerians that actually blame the Hausas/Muslims for the terrorism in the north. The enlightened Nigerians know that the violence in the north is caused by a few faceless terrorists.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Fulanee: 2:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
spare us the bull crap, it's one north and most of you northerners are boko haramist. BTW, can't you guys be truthful for once and make your point without draging Igbo into it? Didn't you nigerian batty men claimed Nzeogwu, a midwesterner is Igbo back in '66?

To generalize is to be an idiot. ~William Blake

You're a confirmed IDIOT no 2 ways about it.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by theripper2: 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
sirhot: That is very correct, I did my youth service about that time too and one day surprisingly one guy who was a Muslim and was my friend told me and another friend that if we where there during the crisis in plateau he would have killed us and I was like what? I mean we are friends but he said in that situation we are enemies.

Almost similar to wat d illiterate Aboki that helped me charge my fone in Kano told me. He blatantly told us he couldn't wait for d election crisis to escalate so dat he would kill all the corpers, d youths had a list already of whom dey would kill first. Dis was a boy I helped in his SSCE. They kept making signs of how they would slaughter us like goats or fowls, using words like "Yanka ka u like Kasa". Thank God for soldiers dat helped us to Bukavu barracks then. Other corpers had more horrible tales sef. My hommies is Bauchi weren't dat lucky sef.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Fulanee: 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
spare us the bull crap, it's one north and most of you northerners are boko haramist. BTW, can't you guys be truthful for once and make your point without draging Igbo into it? Didn't you nigerian batty men claimed Nzeogwu, a midwesterner is Igbo back in '66?

To generalize is to be an idiot. ~William Blake

you're a confirmed idiot no 2 ways about it.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by CROWE: 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
Oabdul: Am in d north nau, doin my NYSC nd i participated in d polio exercise wey jst finish! D problem d north pple are sufferin frm is ORIENTATION. I alwys say it nd d tin can start frm deir so calld Clerics, Imam, Emir because dey are d 1 teachin dem wat is nt rite. Nd pple in d North are frm diff tribes. Evn dey are jst like d south south nd south east. Dat if u call sum1 igbo, she go tell U say she nobi igbo. Its hapenin here in d north because sum will say dey are nt Hausa, Tarok, fulani, Kanuri's. Etc. So its only Almighty Allah nd deir Clerics dat i knw can solve deir problem in d North.

Jesus man, that sounds good and fine when spoken but its a pain to read.

I feel bad for the people who died/got injured, the UNICEF or WHO or whatever Nigerian association that is running them needs to make a public apology and more importantly a personal one to their friends and families, it was quite obvious that the extremists were going to get violent, why were they not protected? Just recently I read an article from a body that promised to fight polio in Northern Nigeria and I thought "hope they are taking security measures" because this was bound to happen, it was like a car accident happening in slow motion. Anybody could have seen it, how could they not?

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Fulanee: 3:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
oily-Yoruba:

To generalize is to be an idiyot. ~William Blake

you're a confirmed idiyot no 2 ways about it.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by nobniger: 3:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
So much for a peaceful religion, so sad. They've demostrated beyond doubt that that religion at its founding is filled with violent, that's an observable fact.
Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Janselem: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2013
I hate them northerners

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Ebestsmscom: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2013
Front page plssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Ebestsmscom: 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hate the behavior of the Northerns with passion.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Truckpusher(m): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
kaorama: Why can't they also reject monthly allocation from the federal govt?
they won't do that...there nature is synonymous to begging and receiving .

I'll classify them as "unam begging style" grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Geomac: 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2013
Janselem: I hate them northerners

Go jump into River Niger, hediot!

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Symphony007: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
The cave men in the stone age who discovered fire by rubbing two stones together will cringe at the primitivity of these islamic radicals. This is just beyond me!

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by frevangel(m): 3:28pm On Feb 08, 2013
If we have to kill everyone that disagrees with our ideas or faith then we would not have any human alive today, especially not these northern extremists.

For those who believe its everyone northerner that is violent and are Hausa/fulani, you are wrong. I am from S/S, served in the north and lived there a while before returning to S/S. I actually feel the north is one of the best regions to live except for the extremism. I have good and well educated friends from Kano, kaduna, Jos, Gombe, Taraba and Adamawa. We are still friends till date. But there is this inherent hatred in this northern Muslims for Christians and other non-muslims. I once witness a young child begging and army officer, the officer asked what his name was, when the boy told him, he changed his mind and drove off. I thought within myself, are all these "bambi-allah give me money" and almajiris not muslims and we give help to them. Anyway my friend from jos who witnessed it too told me its not new, she sees that all the time. But then I felt terrible just to think that a Nigerian Army Officer could do that, what will he do if it was religious crisis, shoot the terrorist muslims? Certainly not!

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by rawtruth(m): 3:34pm On Feb 08, 2013
ilugunboy: Is this a cultural thing or religious belief ? Why intentionally churning out deformed kids that wont be useful to neither themselves or the society ?

It's the devil's way of 'keeping pace' with happenings in the human world..., otherwise, what else is there to justify such horror?

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Gboliwe: 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
Borno.
blaming the Hausa People for all Boko Haramists attack when infact we are victims in this madness. Am Hausa, am not Kanuri, Shekau, Ndume, Bama and co are Kanuris. We are different, with a different language, different culture.

I for example don't understand a single word in Kanuri, we have many Kanuris that don't even speak or understand Hausa. Why blame my tribe for the offence of another tribe?

I feel your pains down to my bone marrows.
It is well. We are all victims in this

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by thaoriginator: 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
Boko haram have since cease fire na abi! They will soon say it's the work of some anonymous undergraduates who masterminded it. Abeg nxt time we want names mentioned so we will know which tribe is behind this evil. You never can tell, it may be some people!

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by coldgate(f): 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
Kingscee: If i may say something, i think the issue in the Northern Nigeria is orientation which comes as a result of socialization. Muslim or no Muslim,majority of them are Animal rearers, and hence they're closer to their animals than human beings, there is high tendency for them to behave like those animals they rears too. grin
Orientation and Education. But I can see you also need a dose of the latter as your written English is below average. Nice try.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by CROWE: 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2013
tha_originator: Boko haram have since cease fire na abi! They will soon say it's the work of some anonymous undergraduates who masterminded it. Abeg nxt time we want names mentioned so we will know which tribe is behind this evil. You never can tell, it may be some people!

When did we establish a tribe was behind it, you know something we don't?

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Bambela(m): 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2013
13volts: So the extremely daft Boko Haram people are killing health workers in Kano for administering so called western medicine by using WESTERN MADE GUNS AND WEAPONS. The only places where Polio is still occurring in the entire world is in NORTHERN NIGERIA, PAKISTAN and BANGLADESH. Cowards, if you really hate western things why don't you stop using your Western Bombs, Western Motorcycles, Western Cars, Western Telephones, Western Internet, Western Roads. Even in your revered Mecca are there no Hospitals there? Furthermore, if the Boko Haram Idiots researched early Islamic History they will discover that the concept of Hospitals and Medicines were advanced by the earliest Islamists. BOKO HARAM I PUT IT TO YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT MUSLIMS. YOU ARE NOT EVEN FIT TO BE REFERRED TO AS BLOOD THIRSTY SATANISTS. HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.
Kanuri no kanuri doesnt change thinking faculty of an average muslim. Level of education /exposure to things of the universe doesnt count when it comes to religion for you. You all reason like Almajiris when it concerns mohammed irrespective of your education.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by TheKingsQueen: 4:40pm On Feb 08, 2013
MORE DETAILS here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jT3HL1OukFfpPQu3G39Gb2ek6T-Q?docId=CNG.d55fd70218219b577262e5a7cead9eb5.241

Gunmen kill 9 in attacks on Nigeria polio clinics

By Aminu Abubakar (AFP) – 1 hour ago

KANO, Nigeria — Gunmen killed at least nine people at two Nigerian polio clinics on Friday, with one of the wounded health workers describing a horrifying attack that saw them trapped by fire.

The attacks in the northern city of Kano came after a local cleric denounced polio vaccination campaigns this week and some local radio programmes repeated conspiracy theories about the campaigns being a Western plot to harm Muslims.

Such conspiracy theories have long spread in parts of Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, stoked by local politicians. Nigeria is one of only three countries still considered to have endemic polio, alongside Pakistan and Afghanistan.

"Nine people were killed in two separate attacks by gunmen on (motorised) tricycles when they attacked two dispensaries where polio immunisation workers were preparing to go out for polio campaigns," police spokesman Magaji Majia told AFP.

Police declined to say who they believed was behind the killings.

Islamist extremist group Boko Haram has carried out attacks in Kano, though gangs linked to local politics also operate.

"Six people on a tricycle pulled up outside the dispensary at 9:45 am while polio immunisation workers were gathering for the day's house-to-house polio campaign," a resident near the second attack said.

"Two of the men were holding guns. They stormed into the dispensary and began shooting."

A victim in the first attack who was shot in the back said from her hospital bed that two gunmen stormed into the consultation room at the clinic where she and five other immunisation workers were seated and opened fire, killing two people.

They then set fire to a curtain in the consultation room, fled and shut the door behind them.

"We summoned courage and broke the door because we realised they wanted to burn us alive," said the woman.

Speaking haltingly at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, she declined to give her name or age, though she looked to be in her 30s.

Three other wounded victims from the same attack had also been taken to the hospital, including one who was in emergency surgery.

Those killed in the first attack included a man and a woman, while the seven killed in the other attack were all women, according to residents.

Last year, two Nigerian police guarding polio vaccination workers were killed by gunmen, though it was unclear if the attack was linked to the campaign.

Islamist extremists have carried out scores of attacks on police.

In 2003, Kano's state government suspended polio immunisations for 13 months, with the then governor saying claims on its harmful effects had to be looked into.

The suspension followed allegations by some Muslim clerics that the vaccine was laced with substances that could render girls infertile as part of a US-led Western plot to depopulate Africa.

Despite the resumption of polio immunisations, Kano has continued to record polio cases as many parents still reject the vaccine.

Deadly attacks linked to polio vaccination campaigns have also occurred in Pakistan.

On January 31, a bomb killed two polio vaccination workers in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region, the latest in a series of such attacks in the country which have killed 19 people in two months.

Polio once crippled and killed children worldwide until a concerted eradication campaign was started in 1988.

According to the World Health Organisation, Nigeria accounted for 121 of the world's 222 polio cases in 2012.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his foundation have led a high-profile effort to completely eradicate polio, including in Nigeria.

While pockets of resistance have remained, public outreach efforts have seen success in many areas of Nigeria in convincing families of the need for polio vaccines.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Godjone(m): 4:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
Borno.

mobilize ur people and chase them out. This haramist madness must stp

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by abouzaid: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
MOST POLIO VACCINE WORKERS IN THE NORTH ARE YOUTH COPPERS. JUST INTERPRET IT AS 12 YOUTH COPPERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM

2 Likes

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 08, 2013
Allah it is high time we Hausa People start... They should go back to their
Borno. Am Hausa, am not Kanuri, Shekau, Ndume, Bama and co are Kanuris. We are different, with a different language, different culture.

NA TRUE!!!
OYA YOU GUYS SHUD SUPPORT TRUE FEDERALISM,RESOURCE CONTROL,PIB BILL,REAL CENCUS FIGURES,..U ABOKIS SHUD RIDE ON WITH UR ''GOOD WORKS,2014 WILL DETERMINE EVERYTHING. KANURI KO,KONTONGORI NI..

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by RuthIsaac(f): 5:08pm On Feb 08, 2013
Kingscee: If i may say something, i think the issue in the Northern Nigeria is orientation which comes as a result of socialization. Muslim or no Muslim,majority of them are Animal rearers, and hence they're closer to their animals than human beings, there is high tendency for them to behave like those animals they rears too. grin
Blood of God this insult too heavy abeg we reject tam. Take it easy we are human being just like u.

1 Like

Re: Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano by karlmax2: 5:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
the shooting happened immediately after a radio programme in kano that talked about rumours surrounding the vaccine.just like they killed youth coppers over rumoured rigged election in 2011. When the figures of children with polio in Nigeria is released some daunce would come on nairaland and blame GEJ!just like they did when the 2012 figures was released pathetic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP / We’ll Rule Lagos For 35 More Years – APC / Bingham University Awards Honorary Doctorate Degree To Goodluck Jonathan & Gowon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.