Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,323 members, 7,954,300 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:18 PM

Why Is Africa Not Developing? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Africa Not Developing? (10372 Views)

Aliko Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man -forbes / Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Forbes List : Aliko Dangote Of Nigeria Is Africa's Richest Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Africa Not Developing? by fallata(m): 12:13am On May 03, 2006
Every body knows that Africa is one of  the richest continents throughout the world( if not the most ) if talking only about the resources.
But when it comes to the living situations of African people, definitely Africans will come on the top of the list of the most poor, uneducated and suffering human beings nowadays.
in your opinion guys,what are the resons? and what can be the possible solutions?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Hero(m): 4:59pm On May 04, 2006
Are you African?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by bashlaqa: 10:20pm On May 04, 2006
Well. I do not mean disrespect but do U have a problem with that?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by fallata(m): 10:24pm On May 04, 2006
Yes I am. why?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by OldGlory1(m): 5:48pm On May 07, 2006
Now this is one of those questions that makes you scratch your head. Wow there are many reasons, i have to say too many Tribes and Languages. Too many wars, and fragile governments with very corrupt leaders. Our leaders in Africa, i think are the single cause of underdevelopment.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by fallata(m): 12:11am On May 08, 2006
I do agree with U about most of what U said, but having so many tribes and languages? I do not think that this is a reason unless if we add lack of cooperation ( I mean understanding and accepting each other just as they are ) to that.Europe also have a good deal of tribes and languages and also fragmentation and it is still one of the leading continents.

Now U have mentioned conflicts and corrupt leaders as reasons, so according to U, what the right solutions may be?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 8:10am On Jun 15, 2006
Every body knows that Africa is one of the richest continents throughout the world( if not the most ) if talking only about the resources. But when it comes to the living situations of African people, definitely Africans will come on the top of the list of the most poor, uneducated and suffering human beings nowadays. in your opinion guys,what are the resons? and what can be the possible solutions?

Fallata,

Africa exists for the most part in a state of neo-colonialism.

Every part of African society is set up by outsiders.

Thus Africa serves outsiders better than it serves itself.
The outsiders get the resources, the outsiders get rich off the resources.

Until that changes, then nothing in Africa will change.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by food4tot: 10:12am On Jun 15, 2006
Let us not worry too much about the history of the predicament called African nations. I am sure that any group of people would do well under good leadership.

This is the right question to be asked?

How can we produce stable governments in all African countries?
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 11:01am On Jun 15, 2006
food4tot,

So we should discuss why the tusks of this elephant hurt so bad when they jab us in the side?

Or maybe you want to discuss why the elephants tail does not stay still long enough for our children to grab it?

Maybe we should discuss how many people the elephant stomped to death today?

BUT FOR HEAVENS SAKE_________NEVER BRING UP THE BIG PINK ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM?

Come now.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by food4tot: 11:15am On Jun 15, 2006
Are you saying my post is irrelevant? undecided angry grin
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:19am On Jun 15, 2006
Uhmmmmmmmmmmm--------- Im Sorry but that topic is wrong! smiley

and im not gonna give my Opinion Until U Correct Urself! smiley im sick and tired of having to Correct U ppl all the tyme! angry

tongue
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by food4tot: 11:43am On Jun 15, 2006
@ Topic

. . . I thought Africa is full of DEVELOPING NATIONS
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Seun(m): 2:38pm On Jun 15, 2006
Don't mind them. Africa is developing at a good pace, but some people choose not to see it.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Mariory(m): 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2006
Old Glory:

Our leaders in Africa, i think are the single cause of underdevelopment.

I disagree. I think the problem with Africe is the attitude of Africans themselves. We support useless leaders when it favours us. We are quick to jump on badwagons relating to religion or ethnicity even when violence is invovled. How can a collection of people leaving on the same piece of land with such an attitude prosper? It's almost as though we're stuck in the past where different kingdoms fought for control of resources. There is way too much infighting.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by adconline(m): 8:06pm On Jun 17, 2006
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by DaHitler(m): 8:16pm On Jun 17, 2006
Seun, everything is relative. Africa is not developing, and it definitely is not developing at a "good" pace. What is holding Africa back is honesty.

Enough of all this crap about people wanting to rule massive territories that do not belong to their people.

What Africa needs is a list of every major ethnic group on the continent (Ethnic groups with 5 million or more people) and use that as the basis on which new borders and nations are created. Enough of all this pretending like these boundaries mean anything other than administrative facades put in place by the colonialist. Get back to the drawing board or fail to progress.

Any wise military man will tell you that no battle plan survives the first shot of battle. It is the same way that no false border is able to advance at an acceptable pace.

And lastly, Mariory, there won't be so much in-fighting if the borders actually made sense. At the moment, they don't. Hence, if people cannot have sensible borders, they will fight to dominate the already existing borders.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by shawna(f): 8:50pm On Jun 17, 2006
1 word CORRUPTION sad sad sad
dats all i gotta say lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Seun(m): 2:37am On Jun 21, 2006
Africa is developing, but all the ethnic fighting is hindering the development of Africa. That's all.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 3:11am On Jun 21, 2006
Food4tot,

The idea that one can discuss Africa but ignore the last 600 years since "things fell apart", is ludicrous.

Ethnic differences are the problem.

Well, gee. I think we got a solution to that problem.

Realize you are Black People and the differences fade away. Realize that you have had somebody who is not a Black people kicking your azz for 600 years.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by DaHitler(m): 3:16am On Jun 21, 2006
Drusilla, being black people means nothing. Only because you are African American can you think that being black is somehow some basis for unity. Well, I don't.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 3:20am On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni,

Right. Exactly.

You actually think the recipe for unity is killing off or getting rid of other Black people.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by DaHitler(m): 3:22am On Jun 21, 2006
Its funny you would say that. I said the recipe for progress was to allow the major ethnic groups to form individual States, and surrounding minority groups would be attached to the majority group they share the most in common with.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 3:28am On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni,

Come now. This not your first time to the table.

As you know, I actually believe that a lot of ethnic differences can be overcome by allowing people to control their own areas, cities and states under rules of the Federal United States of Africa government of course.  cheesy
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by anton(m): 3:54am On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni:

Drusilla, being black people means nothing. Only because you are African American can you think that being black is somehow some basis for unity. Well, I don't.

Actually, it does if your opponents and those vying for your resources consider themselves to be on the same team. Surely, you understand that. The wonderful thing is that those of us who have felt the sharpest edge of the foe realize that and we are in every sector of his society. (^_^) For the life of me I can't figure out why other black folks keep smilling in his face like he gives a damn about you. Oh well.

Drusilla:

Food4tot,

The idea that one can discuss Africa but ignore the last 600 years since "things fell apart", is ludicrous.

Ethnic differences are the problem.

Well, gee. I think we got a solution to that problem.

Realize you are Black People and the differences fade away. Realize that you have had somebody who is not a Black people kicking your azz for 600 years.

LOL. So obvious and yet so hidden at the same time it seems.

Afeni:

Seun, everything is relative. Africa is not developing, and it definitely is not developing at a "good" pace. What is holding Africa back is honesty.

Enough of all this crap about people wanting to rule massive territories that do not belong to their people.

What Africa needs is a list of every major ethnic group on the continent (Ethnic groups with 5 million or more people) and use that as the basis on which new borders and nations are created. Enough of all this pretending like these boundaries mean anything other than administrative facades put in place by the colonialist. Get back to the drawing board or fail to progress.

Any wise military man will tell you that no battle plan survives the first shot of battle. It is the same way that no false border is able to advance at an acceptable pace.

And lastly, Mariory, there won't be so much in-fighting if the borders actually made sense. At the moment, they don't. Hence, if people cannot have sensible borders, they will fight to dominate the already existing borders.

I agree with you on the development. You are definately on the right track here about the false borders. Definately. But who will do it, The folks running the show now?

Africa is not developing becasue we have not properly applied ourselves to the task. The older folks have made a mess of things everywhere we are and we have the luxery of looking at thier mistakes and not making them. Hopefully, as we (this generation) become more powerful, we will be more careful, thoughtful, and strategic in our approach.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 4:11am On Jun 21, 2006
Anton,

Good points.

I wouldn't blame the old folks though.

People do better when they know better.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 4:45am On Jun 21, 2006
Africa is developing_____Unfortunately, they are developing Europe.

Europeans got rich from Africa, African labor and African innovation.

And this continues. In trade and merchandise and even in human beings. Europe gets all the good ones from Nigeria, those with half a brain run away and get out of Nigeria. So there is the brain drain.

At the same time Europe refuses to share with Africa.

Modern technology is generally not shared with Africa.

Africa is forced to sell generally only RAW GOODS to Europe.

Nigeria gives out oil and then must buy back refined.

Raw goods are the low end of the process. So Europe pays pennies for what they will make billions off of.

Africa's got the goods. Europeans make the money.

If any African nation tries to leave this system, he will have sanctions put on him and thus effectively block him from the refining and processing of the higher priced goods and selling them to Europe.

Europe continues to force African countries and all third world countries to bow to this system.

Europeans play one third world country against the other.

If some African country refuses to give banana's, Europe says so what, I will get them from South American country.

If some African country says, my banana's must be sold for higher price. Europeans say, nope. We will just get them cheaper from south American country or Asian country.

If Africans say the Naira is worth more than this amount, the Europeans say: You take our price for your money, or we will not let your money enter our system.

Europeans control the total and complete economic and thus the development of Africa.

Whether you want to believe that the guy at the store or the politicians at the top are Black.

Those who really control Africa are white and sitting in a nice bank or business in Europe/America.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by kazey(m): 8:22am On Jun 21, 2006
When we talk about Africa "developing", what are we inferring?

Having high rise buildings? Good transportation networks? Stable electricity? Job availability? High cost of living? An average GDP of 1k USD +? Poverty Eradication? What exactly?

I really didnt get that answer by reading through all the threads, would be greatful if someone could help explain that smiley
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by DaHitler(m): 8:54am On Jun 21, 2006
If you look closely, you would notice that smaller African countries are actually doing really well when you consider what they have to work with. Countries like Benin Republic, Ghana, Ivory Coast (even with their mini civil war) are all able to provide constant electricity, access to water and decent education to their populous. However, if you look closely, the so called African Giants, such as Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo (is it even a Democratic nation? Lies!), and Sudan are all in terrible state of affairs. In fact, the only big African nation in sub-saharen Africa that is not a complete failure is South Africa.

Now, we can all come up with reason as to why this is so, but I think we can all agree that sensible measures must be taken to relieve the fears of internal domination that lead these "Giants" to act in ways that are against the interests of the nation as a whole. Take for instance Nigeria, ethnic clashes (religious issues are very closely related to this) over control of resources, are in the short term interest of the ethnic group on the offensive, but in the long run, both the aggressor and the victim suffer for it.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 9:55am On Jun 21, 2006
Kazey,

For me, development means this:

1. Every African child can eat.
2. Every African child can have clean water.
3. Every African child can have adequate health care.
4. No child is suffering war, refugee status.

We got to get the basics under control first before we can even talk about all that other stuff.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by kazey(m): 10:01am On Jun 21, 2006
Drusilla:

1. Every African child can eat.
2. Every African child can have clean water.
3. Every African child can have adequate health care.
4. No child is suffering war, refugee status.

Don't forget adequate shelter plus a means of getting proper affordable education. Free if possible, compulsory if implementable.

Exactly, so well we can discuss from there, shall we, smiley
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Drusilla(f): 10:06am On Jun 21, 2006
Kazey,

Go for it. I have already named the part that African Americans must do. The very purpose of our being firmly lodged in the west. Stopping the beast.

Africans will have to discuss what they will do if the beast is stopped.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by anton(m): 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2006
Drusilla:

Kazey,

Go for it. I have already named the part that African Americans must do. The very purpose of our being firmly lodged in the west. Stopping the beast.

Africans will have to discuss what they will do if the beast is stopped.

Exactly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ATM Usage Higher In Nigeria Compared To UK - Computer Warehouse Group / Political Interference In CBN Operations Led To Recession – Moghalu / Naira Gains As CBN Injects $210m Into FX Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.