Stats: 3,156,220 members, 7,829,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Why Is Africa Not Developing? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Africa Not Developing? (10294 Views)

Aliko Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man -forbes / Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Forbes List : Aliko Dangote Of Nigeria Is Africa's Richest Person (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by yemstar(f): 1:26am On Dec 31, 2006
It is a mix of many things but for the most part i think it all comes down to greed. Think about it people, all the black man thinks of is me me me. They get into power and all they do is steal and make themselves richer and fatter.
We are as smart if not smarter than the white man but greed just seems cloud our brains and prevent us from realizing that in order to help ourselves we have to help others too. Until we can get some honest leaders we just have to keep on praying for our African countries.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by BigB11(m): 1:43am On Dec 31, 2006
@ yemstar:

Just because few blackmen you've come across happen to be greedy doesn't make every black man greedy and narrow-minded, as you've mentioned.

Trust me, you can still make your point pure and clear with-out degrading Black men; And if you want, I can introduce you to many many white men that are just as greedy as the folks you're referring to.

Think before you post a comment, not post a comment and then think.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by BigB11(m): 1:46am On Dec 31, 2006
Posted by yemstar:
Think about it people, all the black man thinks of is me me me. They get into power and all they do is steal and make themselves richer and fatter.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by yemstar(f): 9:11am On Dec 31, 2006
Thank you very much for insinuating that i do not think but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know there are white men out there that are greedy and if you think i was trying to degrade the black man you are very wrong. If you take a closer look at most african nations today out of the many reasons for their downfall to me greed is the major factor.

There are honest people out there it just so happens that so far we seem to have been plagued with the bad ones and like my previous post said we need to pray for more honest leaders. Having honest leaders in charge will not automatically make us developed but it will lead us a step closer.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by skipo87(m): 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2006
Africa or Nigeria!
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by mazaje(m): 7:34pm On Dec 31, 2006
personally i believe the main reason why africa is underdevelped is because of bad leadership. ethnicity and division is not really a problem cos if u look at the world around u will see that even the europens are very very diverse in terms of language and tribe but they still have a functioning European union which seems to be working for them because they have good leaders with a common goal. so when the leadership gets better i believe the continent will move forward.cos as it is now non of the country seems to have a good government
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by BigB11(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2006
@ yemstar

Good job.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by phoenixman: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2006
I did no bother to read all the post, because i believe you will all say the obvious.
Africa's underdevelopment is as a result of lack of creative will, on the part of its people and leaders.
Everyone sit around waiting on government to find solution, but the real solution rest with us.
Do you think a corrupt government can get away with corruption unless the people allows them?
The fortunes of a country, and continent in the case of Africa, rest squarely on the shoulders of its citizens,
the type of life you live in your country is in direct relation to the desires of the population.
If a people wants Development, then development they shall have, once the common objective have been established.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by MP007(m): 11:52am On Jun 24, 2007
africa is not developing because africa is not developing , african leaders are idiots , u are developing ur infrastructure and u not developing ur human resources, idiots in power, NA WORLD BANK GO FINISH U!!!!
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Seun(m): 4:52pm On Jun 24, 2007
Africa is developing. Nigeria is developing. The major obstacle to development in Africa is war and civil unrest.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by MILITIA(f): 5:19am On Jun 25, 2007
@Topic!

BECAUSE WE ARE THE CURSED RACE THAT IS LEAST FAVORED BY GOD! THE FORGOTTEN RACE! cry cry cry cry cry! We can never, never, never, never get anything right. We also have an African syndrome called[b] "failure to thrive"![/b]
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by initiator(m): 8:05am On Jun 25, 2007
Ehen, MILITIA don come again
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by MILITIA(f): 2:34pm On Jun 25, 2007
@initiator

Why not! I still dey oh! Na lie I talk? grin
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by denex: 4:24pm On Jun 25, 2007
Unless there is one village in the middle of the antartic called africa, this question does not make sense.

Not this Africa that I'm in. Equatorial Guinea just became the second richest country per capita. nigeria now manufactures its own brand of computers, south africa, Egypt, Tunisia and Senegal are leaping forward with economic, technological and social development so I'm not aware of the Africa you all are refering to.

How many African countries have a growth rate of zero or a negative figure?

Maybe your question was meant to be "why hasn't Africa caught up to the level of development of the rest of the world?"
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by chidichris(m): 2:49pm On Jun 26, 2007
africa is not developing because of OBJ, charles taylor and Mugabe to mention but a few
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by denex: 3:04pm On Jun 26, 2007
AFRICA IS NOT DEVELOPING?

Una go tell me whether na satellite and GPRS una ancestors dey use communicate. I don't blame you. I don't blame you people at all.

Una go soon tell me whether manufacturing and technology were part of the occupations of una predecessors.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by naijaway(m): 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2007
Africa is developing but not at the likened pace. Africa needs some form of sincere unity and massive cooperation to leap forward. We still need a lot of things to push us forward but also need to do things on our own instead of lining up in search of US, ASIA, and EU aid.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Nobody: 5:57am On May 17, 2011
She is constantly being robbed bout "outsiders" and natives alike on top of the lack of unity amongst tribesmen and other nations.
It's gonna take team work and dedication to get Africa where she needs to and should be. . . ON TOP! It will happen in due time.  smiley
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by seadoffx(m): 7:26pm On May 19, 2011
1.lack of unity
2. Greed,selfishness of African leaders
3. West playing on all this factors to exploit us.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by seadoffx(m): 7:30pm On May 19, 2011
denex:

AFRICA IS NOT DEVELOPING?

Una go tell me whether na satellite and GPRS una ancestors dey use communicate. I don't blame you. I don't blame you people at all.

Una go soon tell me whether manufacturing and technology were part of the occupations of una predecessors.
in that case no ones ancestor were using that from the begining including d west they also developed to that stage, but is it at d same rate with Africa. That is d question being asked.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
AFRICA IS DEFINITELY DEVELOPING, although not as quickly as some expect.

You cannot seriously compare the Africa of today with the Africa left by the colonialists.
We have come a long way. Infant mortality rates have fallen, more people have access to clean drinking water, electricity etc,  there are FAR MORE roads, bridges, universities, and other infrastructure.

All this can be confirmed by a visit to the UNICEF site featuring national statistics on basic indicators.

People forget that only a generation or two ago, most of our people were just poor illiterate village peasants, including most of our grandparents and great-grandparents. Only the tiny elite 0.1% knew what electricity was, ie the white rulers and their black cabals!! So we have made substantial progress since independence, gentlemen. We will definitely get there with time.   wink wink
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by AjanleKoko: 12:08pm On Jun 09, 2011
Rossikk:

You cannot seriously compare the Africa of today with the Africa left by the colonialists.
We have come a long way. Infant mortality rates have fallen, more people have access to clean drinking water, electricity etc,  there are FAR MORE roads, bridges, universities, and other infrastructure.

All this can be confirmed by a visit to the UNICEF site featuring national statistics on basic indicators.

People forget that only a generation or two ago, most of our people were just poor illiterate village peasants, including most of our grandparents and great-grandparents. Only the tiny elite 0.1% knew what electricity was, ie the white rulers and their black cabals!! So we have made substantial progress since independence, gentlemen. We will definitely get there with time.   wink wink

Well said.
Africa is developing, faster than many of you can see.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by panafrican(m): 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2011
Africa is not developping due to the following
1. Inside forces: We have a lot of corrupt government officials who are only accountable to the head of state, unfortunately this head of state is most of the time the number one thief in the nation. Add to that the lack of pride of many of our leaders, they see how europe, Japan, North america are investing in civil enginnering and public services,but only few of our leaders want to immulate Europe. How can the Democratic Republic of the Congo ( former zaire) lack road infrastructure with all those diamonds and Gold?
2. Outside forces:
No -one outside Africa wants to see this continent strive. When an african leader has a better insight of what development is, he becomes a threat to Europe and America. Both will plot aginst him, give money to some so called rebel leaders or military strongmen to overthrow the president and turn every thing upside down.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by AjanleKoko: 9:50pm On Jun 20, 2011
This site in itself is a testament to the fact that Africa is developing.
A community for Nigerians, set up by a Nigerian living in Nigeria, populated to a large extent by Nigerians living in Nigeria, wasn't possible ten years ago.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by MandingoII(m): 11:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
Sure there are more people living off $2 to $4 a day but on the Whole. The governments have SOLD ITS SOUL to the corporations. The corporations RUN Africa. There is still massive unemployment and The CORRUPTION is ASTOUNDING!!!!!

Factor in now the LAND GRAB and Africa will be OWNED by OUTSIDERS.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by morpheus24: 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2011
MandingoII:

Sure there are more people living off $2 to $4 a day but on the Whole. The governments have SOLD ITS SOUL to the corporations. The corporations RUN Africa. There is still massive unemployment and The CORRUPTION is ASTOUNDING!!!!!

Factor in now the LAND GRAB and Africa will be OWNED by OUTSIDERS.

Though your point on the permeation of Corporate power in the global scale of things is well taken. The rest of your gibberish is fear mongering!

let me know when you guys are ready for that revolution of yours. I've been packing and stacking!
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by Energy48(m): 1:40pm On Jun 24, 2011
Rossikk:

My friend you are making a serious mistake in your analysis; the world have moved on.

During the time of the colonialist that you speak of; they the colonialists had also not developed to the stage they are today.

Most of the world has developed since those colonial years more than 50 years ago. Even countries that got independence the same time as African countries have developed rapidly and left Africa far behind. Take for instance Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and so on. They got independence the same time as most African countries. But look at them today; they are way ahead of any country in Africa. Therefore, for you to look at how far we are lagging behind in Africa and say we are developing as the rest of the world says a lot about the mentality that is holding us behind. Your outlook and expectations for Africa for that matter is very mediocre indeed.

Africa as it is now is the laughing stock of the world make no mistake about that. We are at the bottom in terms of the planet's development. Remember this is the second biggest continent on the planet with a billion people, yet we contribute absolutely NOTHING to the planet's development. We are so poor and weak we depend on countries that are far smaller than this continent for food,  African citizens are all over the world scrapping for a living. Many Africans are braving dangerous oceans just to get to the white man's land to eat at the droppings from the white man's dinner table. And you call that development? Stop deceiving yourself.

For you to ignore the examples I have outlined and claim that Africa has developed along with the rest of the world, reminds me of an ostrich with its head firmly buried in the sand and thus fools itself into thinking everything is okay when in truth it is far from okay.
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by cap28: 11:13pm On Jun 27, 2011
crosstalk: raping africa:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm_2Av3mxIk[/flash]
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by martinosi: 11:14am On Jun 29, 2011
fallata:

Every body knows that Africa is one of  the richest continents throughout the world( if not the most ) if talking only about the resources.
But when it comes to the living situations of African people, definitely Africans will come on the top of the list of the most poor, uneducated and suffering human beings nowadays.
in your opinion guys,what are the resons? and what can be the possible solutions?

Africa is a "Grab-bag" a "Free for all", "a buy one and get every-else free" Political-Economic land mass" to foreigners. And as long as Africans act like this is not so they will always get the wrong end of the stick,

Look at Congo for example, do you think all those PC, SOftware, Mobile Phone and Telecommunications giant companies in Europe and America want that country to develop?. Hell noooooo!!! That would mean the end of Dirt cheap Coltan,

Africans have to see the world for what it is, The chips are stacked against them and when you
realise this fact 50% of the Fight for economic survival and development is won!!!

When one is aware of this and in a desperate economic corner, you will start thinking
in ways that you could never imagine were possible,
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by cap28: 11:45am On Jun 29, 2011
^^^

always spot on my man wink
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by stmarc32(m): 7:26am On Jul 01, 2011
Africa is not developing  coz our leaders have sold us out to Imperialist Europe and america, They steal and loot with impunity, the same petit-bourgeois who were there back in the days are the ones still operating now, Its only worse now coz we have been colonized cognitively as we know people on here who spit out western economic rhetorics

black black black africa have u any wool yes sir yes sir three bags full
Re: Why Is Africa Not Developing? by kandiikane(m): 8:24am On Jul 07, 2011
Because our leaders are greedy and corruption. I cannot stress any more on how this  is holding Africa back. . If we have well educated people who want the best for Africa and her people Africa will turn out to be a great developed continent.

But oh, how I dream,  sad undecided

I remember when I was younger I would hear-"When God asked whites and Blacks what they wanted, whites chose knowledge and intelligence and blacks choose witch craft."

I Need Pure Water/bottled Water Business Plan Urgently / Union Bank Celebrates 100 Years Of Existence / Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70