Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? (7970 Views)

Binary Option Free Alerts/strategies Season 3 / Forex Trading - Season 13 / Forex Trade Alerts - Season 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by jagabanban: 7:51am On Feb 12, 2013
igwe4life: Imagine GTBank billing me N100 for Account Transfer Commission simple because i moved funds from Current to Saving using Internet Banking, I guess this started last week.

This is very unusual! GTBank, ordinarily, does not charge for transfer of funds between your accounts, and to a 3rd party account within GTBank. If you transact on a current account, you will be charged COT. The value of the COT now varies from 0% to 5%. Again, the bank pays 5% VAT on every charge collected from the customer. This they also pass to the customer. If CBN has not raised any eyebrow on it, then its valid. The onus is on YOU to check your account statement and ensure whatever you are charged is valid.

Personally, I'm not subscribed to SMS alert but I have email alerts. This is okay for me since I am online on a laptop or my mobile phone at anytime, and I can easily get the notification.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Reference(m): 7:57am On Feb 12, 2013
Amoda84: The funniest thing about all these deductions is that they never notify you or send an alert.you just simply noticed your account balance has gone down.

Ha. You want an alert on deductions for alert. Oga that is the fastest way to empty your account with gsm ops dancing away with your cash (to the same bank for added insult).
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by timmy(m): 9:15am On Feb 12, 2013
jamace: Banks Are Stealing From Customers Through Alerts

Can you imagine my banks deducting money from my account for sending me alert when I withdraw or deposit money? Again, during festive periods, say Sallah and Christmas, banks send best wishes message to me but charge my account for it. Is that right? What about deductions made from my account for an unsolicited birthday wish by the bank? Is it proper? When I think of the customer base of these banks and the amount they make, I feel the banks are fleecing the customers illegally.

I feel deductions due to unsolicited best wishes on festive days and customers birthdays by banks should be borne by the banks.

House, do you observe this and what do you have to say about it?

FCMB does not charge for Bank initiated SMS, that much I know. I run my primary account with them. I only get standard charges when there are transactions on the my account.
Often I do money transfer or pay my dstv and pchn bills via their ATMs.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by timmy(m): 10:26am On Feb 12, 2013
you can tweet them on @myfcmb sha
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 12, 2013
i was charged 690 naira by gtbank for january alone. thinking of disabling sms alerts. they come very late most times. so y charge me for something i av already checked online my self or even received d email alert hours before d paid sms gets received
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Enoquin(f): 11:54am On Feb 12, 2013
virtuoso01: Imagine GT Bank deducted 360 Naira from my account in January alone for sms.

This is annoying considering the fact that the sms usually comes so late most times the I am better off not receiving it.

And here I was complaining that they charged me N140 for January...I saw it and was like 'ehn?'
As soon as I have the time, I will call them up for an explanation on how many times I got an alert for me to be charged N140 and how much they charge per SMS...
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Goke7: 12:26pm On Feb 12, 2013
We were all rejoicing when charges on atm withdrawals were removed. I was not too happy then because I know that these banks will get their money back in another form and I think that is what we are all experiencing now. There is no free Lunch anywhere even in Freetown. Our Government are just taking us for a ride and in cycles. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by WomanRapa: 2:37pm On Feb 12, 2013
nl.official:
Use email alert instead, you won't be charged. Also, it will be very effective if you own a BlackBerry with BIS.

Oga email alert with Access Bank activates what they call "Electronic Channel Fee" of N100 per month. If you doubt it, call them and find out.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Winneygirl(f): 9:07pm On Feb 12, 2013
Artistree: @martyns303, don't 4get dat dese transfer charges are relative 2. I knw some banks dnt charge 4 INTRABANK transfer ie transfer within same bank but INTERBANK transfers are compulsory...#100. But if his bank charged him INTRABANK, den it's their prerogative.
Apply 4 email alerts, it's free & convenient.

in my bank, intrabank transfers are free. Interbank transfers below 500k attracts N52.50k. Email alerts are free.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by collab: 10:43pm On Feb 12, 2013
HNosegbe:

Bros, VAT is charged on virtually every transaction... I'm sure you're referring to the 5% VAT on your monthly COT. That's standard.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by collab: 10:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by collab: 10:56pm On Feb 12, 2013
HNosegbe:

Bros, VAT is charged on virtually every transaction... I'm sure you're referring to the 5% VAT on your monthly COT. That's standard.
Bros, i was charged COT and VAT at d same time. I av not been charge VAT before maybe its a new development .
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by Zagala: 11:36pm On Feb 12, 2013
It is not all about complaining here,I think we must do something about those nonsense charges,banks charge we there costumers.
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by WomanRapa: 11:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
Winneygirl:

in my bank, intrabank transfers are free. Interbank transfers below 500k attracts N52.50k. Email alerts are free.

Please what is the name of your "my bank"?
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by frond: 1:05am On Feb 13, 2013
jamace: Banks Are Stealing From Customers Through Alerts

Can you imagine my banks deducting money from my account for sending me alert when I withdraw or deposit money? Again, during festive periods, say Sallah and Christmas, banks send best wishes message to me but charge my account for it. Is that right? What about deductions made from my account for an unsolicited birthday wish by the bank? Is it proper? When I think of the customer base of these banks and the amount they make, I feel the banks are fleecing the customers illegally.

I feel deductions due to unsolicited best wishes on festive days and customers birthdays by banks should be borne by the banks.

House, do you observe this and what do you have to say about it?

You can tell them to disable this service. My bank did it to me and I complaint that I did not opt for the service and they should repay all the deductions. Believe me or not they did. No deduction is allowed from your account without express authorisation. This was the reason why we went to school.

1 Like

Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by durtman: 8:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
the thing i noticed is that dis outrageous charges on sms started when the banks were authorised to stop charging 100naira on transactions made on atms on other banks atm machines.cbn should be alerted on this ,this na legal robbery
Re: Should Banks Charge Customers For Unsolicited SMS Alerts? by jamace(m): 8:27am On Jan 05, 2016
durtman:
the thing i noticed is that dis outrageous charges on sms started when the banks were authorised to stop charging 100naira on transactions made on atms on other banks atm machines.cbn should be alerted on this ,this na legal robbery
You are right.
If I carry out 4 transactions on the ATM in a month, why should I be charged N56.00 for the SMS alerts?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Names Citigroup, Standard Bank As Nigeria Listing Advisers / CBN Begins Grassroot Enaira Adoption With 7,740 Agent Points / Gtbank Internet Banking Portal Is Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.