Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective (12828 Views)

Ways To Please Your Wife (islamic Perspective) / An Islamic Perspective On The Illuminati (A Must Read by All Muslims) / Boy Or Girl Child, Which Is Better? - An Islamic Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Rilikoko(m): 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2013
Salam to my fellow NL muslim fam,dis issue of marring d widow(esp young widows) by d late husband's family (i.e brother,uncle n even son) is still unacceptable to me.Dis is common among d Yoruba tribe n maybe d Igbo too,nt sure...and believe me wen I say it is still practiced in dis our modern age.
So my sincere question is,is dis act permissible in Islam?? And wat are d rights of a muslim widow??
Thank u as u comment
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by zayhal(f): 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
The act isn't an Islamic practise. For rights of widows check surah Nisai

7 Likes

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by tbaba1234: 6:20pm On Feb 11, 2013
This practice has no basis in Islam. It is more of a cultural practice. This was a practise in pre-Islamic Arabia and Allah abolished the practice in the Quran.

You who believe, it is not lawful for you to inherit women against their will,b nor should you treat your wives harshly, hoping to take back some of the bride-gift you gave them, unless they are guilty of something clearly outrageous. Live with them in accordance with what is fair and kind: if you dislike them, it may well be that you dislike something in which God has put much good. (Surah 4:19)

It is amazing how so many Muslims practise things from the times of Ignorance.

13 Likes

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Rilikoko(m): 7:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
@tbaba n zahyal tanks fr d reply...it was a rude shock to me to find out some pple stil practise dis.truely d holy Quran is man's utmost guidance,may Allah (swt) show us is favor.....checking on d surah Nisai @zahyal

5 Likes

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by deols(f): 7:35pm On Feb 11, 2013
if she wants it, there should be no problem once the people involved are not mahram to her. for example, her husband's sons cannot marry her but the husband's brother should be able to, with her consent(and not as an inherited property)

the husband's father cannot marry her.

3 Likes

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Rilikoko(m): 9:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
[quote author=deols]if she wants it, there should be no problem once the people involved are not mahram to her. for example, her husband's sons cannot marry her but the husband's brother should be able to, with her consent(and not as an inherited property)

In d case of d husband's brother.....is dis right islamically??
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by deols(f): 6:30am On Feb 12, 2013
[quote author=Rilikoko][/quote]

the husband's brother is not a mahram.

if they both want to get married, no problem.

The prophet (S.A.W)'s two daughters were married to Uthman bn Affan but not at the same time(at the same time is not allowed). it was after the death of the first that he married the other. I am not sure of their names-the reason I did not put them.

1 Like

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by mosho2good: 12:38pm On Feb 14, 2013
I rest my comment
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by paris10: 12:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
If a Muslim man can marry upto 4 wives, what's gonna stop him from marrying his brother's wife? Isn't it hyprocritical to stop anyone from doing this?

1 Like

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 14, 2013
This is one thing I love Islam, being permitted by the skies to marry up to 4 women is awesome.

1 Like

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Okworigeorge(m): 1:08pm On Feb 14, 2013
Y wont der b much blud shed ind not? Brodas killin dia brodas jez 2 gt dia wives....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by mu2sa2: 1:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
The late husband's relatives cannot of course inherit her as if she were a property- that has no basis in islam. But i hav observed that in some cases where a women has had children with her late husband some members of the family may want her to be around to bring up her children by marrying someone within the family.Sometimes pressure and blackmail is applied - that's where it think it is wrong. But if a woman on her own volition chooses to marry her late husband's brother or relation (not mahram) I dont hav problems with that.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by victorD3: 1:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
I will ask a friend in Islam-a-Bad about this * runs off to get a bomb proof*
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by deols(f): 1:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
inheriting the widow by the husband's family members is an old Yoruba cultural practice. Op wants to know if Islam allows it.

I expect every conversation here to go in that line.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by superior1: 1:38pm On Feb 14, 2013
It is not even popular among the Yorubas again except among the not too enlightened living in the village
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by tbaba1234: 1:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
Kx: To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.
What is this?
Boko NL?

Read below from Seun:

Seun: The notice was proposed by Christian moderators to prevent Christians and Atheists from getting themselves banned when Muslim threads make the home page. I felt it was a fantastic idea and I implemented it as soon as I could. Now if you get banned in the Muslim section, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

https://www.nairaland.com/1195636/story-behind-avoid-getting-banned
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by BlaizeD: 1:49pm On Feb 14, 2013
[quote author=paris10]If a Muslim man can marry upto 4 wives, what's gonna stop him from marrying his brother's wife? Isn't it hyprocritical to stop anyone from doing this?[/quote. Its so funny how ppl always use this againt Islam. Ppl misquote the Quran most times and take whatever suits them from it. The Quran stated you can marry more than one wife... If you can treat them equally. Which is so impossible for a man to treat he's wives equally. He will defintely have is favourite among them. There are christians who are married to more than one woman. Who is holding it against them?
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by adamu50: 1:50pm On Feb 14, 2013
Salaam Alaikum.
Marrying late husband's widow by the husband's family is not condemned from Islamic point of view, as long as it is her wish to marry within the family members of her late husband. Also, from experience, it assist her and the family members of her late husband in looking after her children.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by abdulkayus(m): 2:36pm On Feb 14, 2013
A very interestin and educative topic, some bigots still wan to derail it. God pass una
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by chakula: 3:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
deols: if she wants it, there should be no problem once the people involved are not mahram to her. for example, her husband's sons cannot marry her but the husband's brother should be able to, with her consent(and not as an inherited property)

Deols .... and you are finally take heart and look back unto this childboard.... it is well for you.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Walexz02(m): 3:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
In a case of marrying the widow, it is acceptd ONLY with her(the widows) will. But inheriting her is not Islamic~ thus, nt acceptable.
Surat al Nisa says it all. Quran is for guidiance.

2 Likes

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by skydeexie(m): 4:04pm On Feb 14, 2013
You cannot marry the widow, right? But what about what your right hand possess as recorded in your books? You can have slaves and concubines and even have temporary marriages but to help a poor widow you cannot. This is interesting!

1 Like

Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by Abdul010: 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
dis an interesting thread wish somebody can answer me this pussled question that has been baffling me, can a man marry his niece i.e a case of a man who wants to marry his late brother's daughter dont know if its Islamically right cause I ve been kicking against.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by maclatunji: 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
Abdul010: dis an interesting thread wish somebody can answer me this pussled question that has been baffling me, can a man marry his niece i.e a case of a man who wants to marry his late brother's daughter dont know if its Islamically right cause I ve been kicking against.

Nope he can't.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by deols(f): 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2013
skydeexie: You cannot marry the widow, right? But what about what your right hand possess as recorded in your books? You can have slaves and concubines and even have temporary marriages but to help a poor widow you cannot. This is interesting!

no. Islam doesnt allow you to have concubines.

are you in support of people inheriting women?
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by adaybayor(m): 4:54pm On Feb 14, 2013
paris10: If a Muslim man can marry upto 4 wives, what's gonna stop him from marrying his brother's wife? Isn't it hyprocritical to stop anyone from doing this?

Why call us your name? Show me the logic in your argument.
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by aurenflani: 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2013
skydeexie: You cannot marry the widow, right? But what about what your right hand possess as recorded in your books? You can have slaves and concubines and even have temporary marriages but to help a poor widow you cannot. This is interesting!

I thought you ppl have graduated to marrying man to man and woman to woman. Even the pope could not contain this cancer in your house forcing him to resign so that christians will have a field day of proving their biblical prophesies: Antichrists tongue
Re: Marrying A Widow By The Husband's Family: Islamic Perspective by victorazy(m): 6:01pm On Feb 14, 2013
Rilikoko: Salam to my fellow NL muslim fam,dis issue of marring d widow(esp young widows) by d late husband's family (i.e brother,uncle n even son) is still unacceptable to me.Dis is common among d Yoruba tribe n maybe d Igbo too,nt sure...and believe me wen I say it is still practiced in dis our modern age.
So my sincere question is,is dis act permissible in Islam?? And wat are d rights of a muslim widow??
Thank u as u comment

I thought your talking about Islam why mentioning Igbo leaving Housa?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Despite Obstacles, Islam Continues To Spread / 16th Century Ottoman Ad For An Imam Vacancy / Jumah Kareem, Jumah Mubarak, Is It Haraam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.