Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria (36547 Views)

Tukur Bayero Debunks Breaking 20 Years Jinx As Best Graduating Student From ABU / NUC Ranks University Of Ibadan As Best University In Nigeria / The Best University In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by EkoIle1: 2:58am On Feb 12, 2013

BY GBENGA OLARINOYE

OSOGBO — OBAFEMI Awolowo University, OAU, Ile-Ife, has been rated the first and best university in Nigeria and 14th in Africa by the Webometric Ranking of world universities.

In the last rating, the university was ranked eighth in Nigeria and 79 in Africa.

According to Webometric ranking released on February 6, 2013, OAU was rated above other universities in the country for its intellectual, academic, research and administrative supremacy.

A release by the Public Relations Officer of the University, Mr. Abiodun Olarewaju, said this latest ranking reflected the success of the current University Administration under Professor Bamitale Omole.

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Omole pledged to do all within his administrative power and academic experience to further reposition the institution to meet with the standard expected of a world class University within the context of 21st century intellectual market.

Meantime, staff of the OAU have been advised to set a new road map to pursue research effort more vigorously with a view to continually impacting positively on the socio-economic, political and technological landscapes of the society.

Professor Omole gave the advice at a one-day retreat organized by the Staff Training and Development Unit of the Institution at Iloko-Ijesa, Osun State.

In the keynote address titled: “Moving This Leviathan: New Paradigm, New Strategies: 50 years of OAU and Beyond”, the Vice-Chancellor enjoined the participants not to dwell too much on the past achievements but strive to break new grounds in research and development.

Omole reminded the participants not to forget the best practices, ethics and ethos as well as the institutional core values which made the university “past scientific achievements possible and which had made OAU a centre of Academic Excellence.”

While expressing serious concern over administrative and academic malpractices which have bedeviled the Nigerian University system, the VC added that vices like admission racketeering, examination malpractices, misuse of research grants, misallocation and misappropriation of funds, sexual harassment, financial or material inducement before services are rendered should be discouraged and eradicated in the University.

According to him: “As an Institution, we should, at all times, consider it an aberration to protect and defend our colleagues who are found in indecent behaviours and a variety of corrupt practices. We should not allow the little foxes to spoil the vine.”http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/oau-rated-best-varsity-in-nigeria/

3 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Tolexander: 6:19am On Feb 12, 2013
Thinking the webometric list ranking would be pasted anyway. Notwithstanding:
Great Ife!
Great Ife!!
Africa most beautiful campus
Conscious, vigilance, progressive
Aluta against all oppressions
Forward ever, backward never
For learning and culture, sport and struggle
Great Ife, I love you
There is only one great Ife in the universe
Another Great Ife is a counterfeit
Great! Great!! Great!!! Great!!!! Great!!!!!
E wo won!
E wo won!!
E wo won bi won se n wo wa.
Ti mo ba tun aye wa,
Great ife ni ma lo
Ti mo ba tun aye wa,
Great ife ni ma ba lo.
If you go to uniport(like umblerra) na your fault.
If you go to lasu, na your fault.
But if you go to OAU, na the best.

66 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by CHAIRMAN1(m): 9:09am On Feb 12, 2013
Second!!!! Ope ooo, popping something things, I'll be back
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Wuse2(m): 9:09am On Feb 12, 2013
Keep rating,nija stil b nija

4 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by DebbyD1(m): 9:10am On Feb 12, 2013
grin fourth
But thought we'll get a full ranking list

1 Like

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by 9icest: 9:10am On Feb 12, 2013
If you dont wanna REALLY learn, dont go to this university. Go to Uni of PH or the likes where they sell PhD at a token grin

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

5 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Desdola(m): 9:11am On Feb 12, 2013
Welcomed development. More grease to their elbow
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by fittty(m): 9:14am On Feb 12, 2013
Doesn't still guarantee oau graduates the best jobs.... Na by who u sabi u go take see better job

5 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by luvola(m): 9:15am On Feb 12, 2013
let see the full list..i want to see the position of my former citadel - lagos state university.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by ollyboy009(m): 9:16am On Feb 12, 2013
On what basis is this rating,Research study alone? But i think webometric should rank them first as the best institution with the slowest academic calender when compared with other schools like Uni ilorin and ABU.Moreover, are we even making use of research in this country?Dont ffffink so.
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by talktimi(m): 9:20am On Feb 12, 2013
grin I met a 2:1 economics graduate of OAU while in camp who told me the 25 billion naira recapitalization of banks embarked upon by ex CBN chief Charles Soludo was for the procurement of ATM machines and security doors... Hehehe

6 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by boron10(m): 9:22am On Feb 12, 2013
Mtcheeeeeeew UNIBEN has been number one since 2005 we nor hear any noise.

20 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 12, 2013
Congrats to my school. We 're just too much. OAU should be on the top 10 afterall we have the best university campus in Africa. We only need to improve our hostels and we'll be up there with the very best.

3 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by bejay1(m): 9:23am On Feb 12, 2013
Of the greatest Ife! Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

2 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by chiefbatiatus(m): 9:25am On Feb 12, 2013
I schooled in the north because I couldn't secure admission at OAU, but I bet its the most beautiful campus I have seen in nigeria. The level of infrastructural layout even in it deteriorated state, is quite impressive and Ife still has a lot of respect for rewarding merit unlike UNN where masters thesis nowadays mean a basket of dried fish and a jerrycan of red oil for your supervisor.

9 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:25am On Feb 12, 2013
fittty: Doesn't still guarantee oau graduates the best jobs.... Na by who u sabi u go take see better job

I have always said this kind of defeatist mentality is why many Nigerians don't get job. I will continue to say it.

Truth is, not less than 70% of private sector jobs are still by merit, and it can even as high as 95% in top jobs like the IOC's and other MNC's.

5 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:26am On Feb 12, 2013
@OP,

Nice one. Proud to be an alumnus.
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 12, 2013
Foget 'bout all those stupid rankings made by unscrupulous elements. Oau will forever be in the shadows of THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN- the first and the friggin best baby. kiss

6 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Giditinz(m): 9:30am On Feb 12, 2013
Congrats! Great Ife! Your greatness is not just in your beautiful and outstanding structures but also in the people that pilot the affairs of that great citadel of learning. As a Lion, I'm also looking forward to seeing my Alma mater rise up to this feat, roaring load for Nigerians to hear. Our roars have already been heard far and wide, withing and without. It still resounds in the good people that champion the affairs of this country - captains of industries, governors, Doctors, technocrats, business gurus....GREAT LIONS AND LIONESSES!

6 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by bankylan: 9:31am On Feb 12, 2013
talktimi: grin I met a 2:1 economics graduate of OAU while in camp who told me the 25 billion naira recapitalization of banks embarked upon by ex CBN chief Charles Soludo was for the procurement of ATM machines and security doors... Hehehe

There is one OAU Eco graduate in my office too. The guy confirmed that they were not given the best of knowledge. The guy has 2.1 too; I told him he would be lucky to have 2.2 in Unilorin or UI. My judgment is based on what I know about him in respect to his intellect.

For Economics, I will advise anyone to go to Ilorin or UI in Nigeria. And if you have the money, please just travel abroad. The reason being that the curriculum here in all Nigerian schools is outdated and being taught by 'professors and Dr' who are outdated.

3 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by theripper: 9:35am On Feb 12, 2013
Nigerian Universities are a waste of time especially for science and tech students. By the way, OAU is 1500 and smtin in the world.
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by talktimi(m): 9:35am On Feb 12, 2013
bankylan:

There is one OAU Eco graduate in my office too. The guy confirmed that they were not given the best of knowledge. The guy has 2.1 too; I told him he would be lucky to have 2.2 in Unilorin or UI. My judgment is based on what I know about him in respect to his intellect.

For Economics, I will advise anyone to go to Ilorin or UI in Nigeria. And if you have the money, please just travel abroad. The reason being that the curriculum here in all Nigerian schools is outdated and being taught by 'professors and Dr' who are outdated.
you're right my brother, UNILORIN is by far a better school than most universities in Nigeria. I just laughed when I saw this OAU thingy

1 Like

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 12, 2013
there are just two universities in Nigeria; Greatest OAU and others ...click like if you agree

51 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by HisMajesty1(m): 9:41am On Feb 12, 2013
I've had uncountable times that OAU has beautiful structures far better than unilag, i'm really curious to see how true this is cos i've never been there; atleast not inside, i've stood in front of the main gate before... Anybody with pictures of the school?
Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by ShalomNigeria: 9:42am On Feb 12, 2013
Nigerians are funny. Some people are rejoicing over webometrics ranking without knowing the indicators used for such. A wikipedia check is enough to tell you that it is not a serious ranking based on research but just web utilisation by the institutions. I believe Nairaland, premiumtimes and saharareporters will rank higher than all those universities based on webometrics criteria. Nigerian universities should tell us what their rankings are in QS and The Higher Times rankings. If not, let them keep quiet and stop shouting like the politicians

13 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by olayiwolaaims: 9:47am On Feb 12, 2013
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities

The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities , also known as
Ranking Web of World Universities, is ranking system for the world's
universities based on a composite indicator that takes into account
both the volume of the Web contents (number of web pages and
files) and the visibility and impact of these web publications
according to the number of external inlinks (site citations) they
received. The ranking is published by the Cybermetrics Lab , a
research group of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
located in Madrid....

so guyz, this ranking does not indicate if your school is the best academically or its impact on student.....just a mere web content ranking..

8 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by donphilopus: 9:51am On Feb 12, 2013
Ekp till..death

4 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by yokiti: 9:54am On Feb 12, 2013
His Majesty: I've had uncountable times that OAU has beautiful structures far better than unilag, i'm really curious to see how true this is cos i've never been there; atleast not inside, i've stood in front of the main gate before... Anybody with pictures of the school?

An eye witness experience will remove all the doubt you have about the beauty of Great Ife.

1 Like

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Dubemkelly(m): 9:54am On Feb 12, 2013
Talk is cheap nd haters can go take a cab 2 hell...Courtesy demands u appreciate n congratulate dem, Y won't gr8 ife guys pride over ds achievement? Its just a winning spirit nd dey r celebr8ng d succes...Am proud 2 b in OAU....
FUNAAB banks 2nd
Unilag 3rd
UNN 4th
Unilorin 5th
UI 6th
Uniben 7th
ABU 8th
Auchi poly 9th nd
Covenant university 10th

1 Like

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 12, 2013
ShalomNigeria: Nigerians are funny. Some people are rejoicing over webometrics ranking without knowing the indicators used for such. A wikipedia check is enough to tell you that it is not a serious ranking based on research but just web utilisation by the institutions. I believe Nairaland, premiumtimes and saharareporters will rank higher than all those universities based on webometrics criteria. Nigerian universities should tell us what their rankings are in QS and The Higher Times rankings. If not, let them keep quiet and stop shouting like the politicians
olayiwola-aims:
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities

The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities , also known as
Ranking Web of World Universities, is ranking system for the world's
universities based on a composite indicator that takes into account
both the volume of the Web contents (number of web pages and
files) and the visibility and impact of these web publications
according to the number of external inlinks (site citations) they
received. The ranking is published by the Cybermetrics Lab , a
research group of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
located in Madrid....

so guyz, this ranking does not indicate if your school is the best academically or its impact on student.....just a mere web content ranking..

Don't mind them.

A directory of world universities ranked according their presence on the Web.

You want to see World Universities ranking? Visit: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking
Unfortunately, no Nigeria university is ranked, what a shame!

2 Likes

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by petreli12: 10:05am On Feb 12, 2013
Haterz can kiss between my two thighs!!! Great Ife is and will continue to be Nigeria's numero uno in all aspects of uni life! UI, UNIBEN and others can queue behind us.....Of the Greatest Ifeeeeeee, Great!

1 Like

Re: OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria by kalunomics(m): 10:05am On Feb 12, 2013
u can always be the best you can be no matter where you study if you are really determined to. *Except for some science and definitely all engineering courses o!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Message From ASUU President / Anambra Student Who Dressed Like Anas Aremeyaw, Masked Journalist, Chased Out / Deji Akinwande Awarded PECASE By Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.