Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed (20811 Views)

Top 7 Ways To Beat Depression If You’re Unemployed / Over 100 Unemployed Youths Atthe National Assembly In Search Of Employment / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by treasuremi1(m): 5:20pm On Feb 12, 2013
nice topic.d bottom line is that u shouldnt waste ur time sitting home n doin nothing. Moreover, dont waste ur time on unnecesary and unprofitable ventures. Be wise
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
treasure_mi: nice topic.d bottom line is that u shouldnt waste ur time sitting home n doin nothing. Moreover, dont waste ur time on unnecesary and unprofitable ventures. Be wise

Nice one . . . High time for our graduates to be creative too and be an employer
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by CHRISKY: 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
I dont think dia z scarcity of JOB in dis country, bt i no finding one may b hard, d only tin datz kill us z pride. We jst av 2 wrk on ourselves 1st, 4get abt wh u think u are. 4 instance a frnd of mine was receiving 14k wen he got d vry job he's in bt rit nw he's among d lucky ppl dat dia salary was increased jst 1yr afta he started d wrk he's nw earning 30k because he went dia an proof himself. Jst O'level certificate. So sitting down at home complaining won't put even soaked garri on ur table, u beta go out dia an mk a change.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by DonaldYusuf(m): 5:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
Tayothinks: You know the saying, “Applying to jobs is a full-time job”?

Don’t listen to it.

What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed

Applying to jobs you’re not qualified for (which 50% of job seekers reportedly do!) is counter-productive to your job search. Competition is too fierce. Even qualified applicants aren’t getting callbacks. So, stop applying to so many jobs and allocate time each week to becoming more hirable. Here’s how…

1. Volunteer

Volunteering can increase your chances of being hired if you’re strategic about it. Unemployed teacher? Help out with after school programs or volunteer to be a coach’s assistant. Web designer? Find a local non-profit in desperate need of a re-design and offer your services pro bono. By volunteering somewhere relevant, you’ll keep your skills fresh while enhancing your resume.

2. Keep Your Skills Current

If you lack a skill commonly required for jobs you’re seeking, spend time each day building that skill. Take advantage of numerous free resources online, including tutorials, e-books, and how-to videos. If you’d rather have more of a class setup, then look for free or affordable adult education classes in your area. Alternatively, if you already possess the necessary skills but haven’t been practicing, the do so. Skill atrophy is a huge concern for hiring managers, so practice and get yourself ready for pre-employment skills tests.

3. Network

There are two parts to networking: reconnecting with your old contacts and forming new ones. Depending on where you are in your career, reconnecting might mean contacting professors, college advisers, and internship supervisors, or it might mean getting in touch with old colleagues, bosses, and business acquaintances.

Find them, e-mail them, call them. Ask them to coffee. Ask how they are (networking is social, after all) and let them know the specifics of your job search (industry, location, etc.). See if they know of anything or anyone.

Most importantly, follow up!

At a temporary dead-end with your current contacts? Make new ones. Go to networking events sponsored by your university, industry, city, and so on. And look beyond traditional networking events. Consider going to lectures, neighborhood council meetings, even community bar crawls (go easy on the sauce). Each of these provides an opportunity to meet people with similar interests, and you can have fun in the process.

Again, follow up!

4. Freelance

Some job seekers are opposed to anything that’s not a full-time job. If this sounds like you, it’s time to change your mindset. Freelancing is a great way to boost your skills, resume, portfolio, professional network, income, and confidence. Search for freelance openings here.

5. Build An Online Presence

Get found online. Start a blog, spruce up your social network profiles, create an online portfolio to showcase your work. Find companies you’re interested in working for, subscribe to their blogs, and follow them on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Find decision-makers at those companies and follow them as well. Learn what they’re talking about, do a little research, and then engage with them online. Impress them with your interest and insights.

Worst case scenario — you’ll learn what’s important to them and use this information to customize your application when a job opens up.

Better case scenario — you’ll establish a rapport with someone who will recommend you for a position and/or tell you about unpublished openings.

Best case scenario — you’ll impress someone so much over time that they’ll create a job for you or bring you in for an exploratory interview.

What are you doing to become more hireable?

6. Create Your Own Job
I think creating your own job is one of the best things you could do for yourself when you can't find the so called "white collar" job. And you can do this by Starting a Business or Exploring a Talent.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by bleeztouch(m): 5:43pm On Feb 12, 2013
sluvy4tune: You can even start a bulk sms Portal as it doesn't need you to speak techno-Jargons to own one

I have not left my house 2day but I have made some gud amount of money #NoBrags
bulksms go give ur alot of money if u can advertise you website well.I believe if one is unemployed,he can start any online bizness and also work hard everyday to improve his/her CV.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by begwong: 5:48pm On Feb 12, 2013
True talk op!
We went for an interview with an NGO recently.I came second in that interview while the guy who came first got the job(only 1 person reqd)Reason;he was already a volunteer with the organisation and that gave him an edge over us.
After the interview,i chose to be a volunteer and since then i have been with them hoping for my luck God's willing.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by EyeofanEagle(m): 5:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
I dey home bleeping free Psy and eating free food!Lifes good cool
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by valicious1(m): 6:01pm On Feb 12, 2013
Scarpon: sit at home and chop akara
May God deliver you from the spirit of myopic & childish reasoning.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 6:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
Volunteering is just the same as slavery. Don't waste your time working for free. Any company that values your contribution to their bottom line should pay for your effort.

Employers are only after results and profit, not to help pad your resume with "make up" work
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 6:16pm On Feb 12, 2013
zangiff: you can also try blogging but its a way of investing ur time

Blogging is very hard work bro and not rewarding

Don't get seduced by all these bloggers claiming success. How many have been blogging for over yrs and making enough money?
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by asids55: 6:23pm On Feb 12, 2013
yahoo yahoo
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Pappyto: 6:39pm On Feb 12, 2013
Eating nd sleepimg
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 12, 2013
sluvy4tune: You can even start a bulk sms Portal as it doesn't need you to speak techno-Jargons to own one

how do i start bulk sms portal
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by serenegroup(m): 6:50pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam: Volunteering is just the same as slavery. Don't waste your time working for free. Any company that values your contribution to their bottom line should pay for your effort.

Employers are only after results and profit, not to help pad your resume with "make up" work
i disagree my brother. volunteering is one of the ways experience is gained and also an avenue for being choosen for a job when ever there is an opening any where. when u volunteer u are also training urself for a better opportunity in the future

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by rodeo0070(m): 6:55pm On Feb 12, 2013
@ Poster you make sense die! Thumbs up...
Allow me to add this please.
Just be optimistic and keep applying.
Don't ignore any kind of "genuine" job
adverts. Don't be selective but don't go for trash...
Before completing your NYSC,what
have you done to add value to yourself
in terms of education and vocational skills.
Make sure you work on those areas
especially and In particular vocational
skills. Empower yourself with skills
class/education won't teach you. While
waiting to complete my NYSC bacK
then, I gained experience repairing,
servicing and maintenance (cleaning
and refilling the gas) of AC units, Water
dispensers and Refrigerator,
eventhough I am a management
student. Call it "not befitting" but at
least I was not a liability to anyone for
the next 1yr and few months after
service till I got my current job.
My point is look inward, empower
yourself, do what you have to do to be
relevant to yourself and the society no
matter how small. In your quest for
good job, learn new things and like I
said, be optimistic...

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Namiad(m): 7:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
obichijiokeobi: A year after my youth service, I got a job as a waiter in an hotel in Abuja; am confessed whether to take up d job,because am nt doing anything for now. What do u advice?

sure!take d job nd make other plans...u neva can tel..u could get a promotion in dat same hotel...
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Namiad(m): 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2013

could u please email me on how it works...berglayhills@yahoo.com
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam: Volunteering is just the same as slavery. Don't waste your time working for free. Any company that values your contribution to their bottom line should pay for your effort.

That is so not true, there is something called gaining experience and instead of staying home with nothing added to your Resume/CV, you could volunteer somewhere to gain some experience/exposures and by so doing some networking as well.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by ayandee: 7:20pm On Feb 12, 2013
Take the job. A friend of mine got a federal job while working as an attendant in a hotel in Abuja. She told me she was exceptional while working there- very polite and responsive to guest needs even though her salary was 25k. One of d guests linked her up after discovering she was a graduate
obichijiokeobi: A year after my youth service, I got a job as a waiter in an hotel in Abuja; am confessed whether to take up d job,because am nt doing anything for now. What do u advice?
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 7:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
serenegroup: i disagree my brother. volunteering is one of the ways experience is gained and also an avenue for being choosen for a job when ever there is an opening any where. when u volunteer u are also training urself for a better opportunity in the future

For non-profit or charitable organisation, yes. If it's a business, NO. Situation may be different in other countries but in U.S.A/Canada, it's no longer an attractive option. So many reasons why it's not a wise option, but I'll cite one.

In summer time, organisation recruit summer students (and usually top students) with a view to developing/mentoring them for future employment. And these are paid jobs. As a volunteer you will be doing similar jobs to these students, so organisations do not see any advantage with bringing in somebody they don't need.

Most volunteer work, generally involve less challenging tasks. Experience is only gained when you're exposed to real challenges and risks.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by MEILYN(m): 7:31pm On Feb 12, 2013
chaiii am unemployed i need sum1 to put me through in online business abeg.....i need help oo with 0naira capital
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam:

For non-profit or charitable organisation, yes. If it's a business, NO. Situation may be different in other countries but in U.S.A/Canada, it's no longer an attractive option. So many reasons why it's not a wise option, but I'll cite one.

In summer time, organisation recruit summer students (and usually top students) with a view to developing/mentoring them for future employment. And these are paid jobs. As a volunteer you will be doing similar jobs to these students, so organisations do not see any advantage with bringing in somebody they don't need.

Most volunteer work, generally involve less challenging tasks. Experience is only gained when you're exposed to real challenges and risks.

What do you think Industrial Training was supposed to achieve?
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 7:41pm On Feb 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is so not true, there is something called gaining experience and instead of staying home with nothing added to your Resume/CV, you could volunteer somewhere to gain some experience/exposures and by so doing some networking as well.

I'm not saying stay at home but if the vacancy exits why can't an employer pay you to do the job? For charity organisation its ok but not for a business.

If an employer believes you can provide REAL value, they will take that risk and invest in you. As a volunteer, most times the job you do is not very rewarding. Regardless of what you put on your resume, employers recruit based on your past result, hence SARs question (Situation, Action, Result)are very common at interviews. As a volunteer you may not have results to show from past jobs.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 7:44pm On Feb 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

What do you think Industrial Training was supposed to achieve?

Industrial training is different since employers may have the need for that person. Also, there are tax advantages depending on the state/province
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam:

Industrial training is different since employers may have the need for that person. Also, there are tax advantages depending on the state/province

We are not talking what the employer is gaining, for an unemployed person, there are few things that could have made the person not marketable, such as:
1. Lack of experience
2. Lack of knowledge of opened position
3. Not well networked
4. So much more.
By volunteering, you will be able to gain experience, yes, you are not getting paid, but experience will work for you later, you will be networked cos you are not staying at home doing nothing and your brain is doing nothing, but being busy while you work, though no pay, and you are networking while out of the house compared to when you home watching movies.
In all areas, nothing wrong in volunteering, even at the office, some people do it to get experience in other areas and be more marketable.
Never see it as slavery . . .

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 8:04pm On Feb 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

We are not talking what the employer is gaining, for an unemployed person, there are few things that could have made the person not marketable, such as:
1. Lack of experience
2. Lack of knowledge of opened position
3. Not well networked
4. So much more.
By volunteering, you will be able to gain experience, yes, you are not getting paid, but experience will work for you later, you will be networked cos you are not staying at home doing nothing and your brain is doing nothing, but being busy while you work, though no pay, and you are networking while out of the house compared to when you home watching movies.
In all areas, nothing wrong in volunteering, even at the office, some people do it to get experience in other areas and be more marketable.
Never see it as slavery . . .

I'll talk about lack of experience:

Volunteering in an office by doing filing, paper work, researching online, creating documents with MS Word etc is not experience. As a volunteer this is the kind of task you're assigned to do. You end up everyday asking "Is there any job I can do?"

Real experience comes from working on a project, identifying problems, finding solutions, meeting with various stakeholders and ensuring the results are delivered. Most volunteering jobs may not expose you to this kind of experience
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam:

I'll talk about lack of experience:

Volunteering in an office by doing filing, paper work, researching online, creating documents with MS Word etc is not experience. As a volunteer this is the kind of task you're assigned to do. You end up everyday asking "Is there any job I can do?"

Real experience comes from working on a project, identifying problems, finding solutions, meeting with various stakeholders and ensuring the results are delivered. Most volunteering jobs may not expose you to this kind of experience

And those are some of the experience that someone that has gone to the Polytechnic to study Office Admin might need. . . . I think you have seen too much of Nigerian students being maltreated that made you to not blv anymore in gaining experience by volunteering.
Chairman, there are some real volunteering, for example imagine an architect that just finish school and have no portfolio at all, and decided to go and volunteer to work with one of Nigeria's biggest architectural company (Dont know one), gain experience, and now on his CV he has such experience on it for a year, that will make companies' looking for experienced architect to give such a person a chance.
Not all volunteers do Suya errands . . . .
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by occam(m): 8:22pm On Feb 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

And those are some of the experience that someone that has gone to the Polytechnic to study Office Admin might need. . . . I think you have seen too much of Nigerian students being maltreated that made you to not blv anymore in gaining experience by volunteering.
Chairman, there are some real volunteering, for example imagine an architect that just finish school and have no portfolio at all, and decided to go and volunteer to work with one of Nigeria's biggest architectural company (Dont know one), gain experience, and now on his CV he has such experience on it for a year, that will make companies' looking for experienced architect to give such a person a chance.
Not all volunteers do Suya errands . . . .

Why not put together your portfolio and approach the company that this is what you can do to help reduce costs, increase revenue or bring in customers. If they believe you can help make profit, they'll offer you an incentive. "Show me what you can do for me" is the mind set of most businesses.

Too many people approach this companies thinking they're are good Samaritans. Remember they have to set up an office space for you. Why? just so you can gain experience.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Unik2me: 8:23pm On Feb 12, 2013
eduson002: ok.nice idea but some unemployed graduates dnt even have d money start any of these. which advice u go give nigerian graduate whe get only 2k for acct

There are some jobs on d naija street dat may evn make U drop ur CV. All U nid is to tink and psckage ursef, its nt all about money all d times. It worked for me.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 8:24pm On Feb 12, 2013
occam:

Why not put together your portfolio and approach the company that this is what you can do to help reduce costs, increase revenue or bring in customers. If they believe you can help make profit, they'll offer you an incentive. "Show me what you can do for me" is the mind set of most businesses.

Too many people approach this companies thinking they're are good Samaritans. Remember they have to set up an office space for you. Why? just so you can gain experience.

OK, a man that just finish a school, no experience and a portfolio will be made or got from where? That is where the volunteering come to play, mind you a CV with no experience hugz nothing but the garbage, no one even spend time to read them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduate Trainee At Saro Agrosciences Limited / National Hospital, Abuja Recruitment 2017. See Vacancies & Apply / Buhari Raises N-power Gear, Half Million Beneficiaries By 1 August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.