Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,239 members, 7,836,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed (20816 Views)

Top 7 Ways To Beat Depression If You’re Unemployed / Over 100 Unemployed Youths Atthe National Assembly In Search Of Employment / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by harrisconsult1(m): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
Hit me up on 08038198120 if u wanna start 1. I.e bulk sms portal.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by godman01(m): 10:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
Get a skill and start working at it!
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 12, 2013
Those who have job will not undestand what it takes to be unemployed. When pple are dressing up 4 work, u are adjusting ur sleeping position. Lol
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by eduson002(m): 11:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
JudismphD: Those who have job will not undestand what it takes to be unemployed. When pple are dressing up 4 work, u are adjusting ur sleeping position. Lol
Na wa 4 u o.when i read ur first line i thought u had gud tin to say sef.lol
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by younggurl(f): 2:49am On Feb 13, 2013
obichijiokeobi: A year after my youth service, I got a job as a waiter in an hotel in Abuja; am confessed whether to take up d job,because am nt doing anything for now. What do u advice?
omg!a university graduate? I can't blv dis.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Greatken007(m): 3:40am On Feb 13, 2013
Why are some people so so dull this days?If you can help some1 get a job you dont need 2 ask for 2k,what is 2k?some pple ar ready 2 give u 20k wen dey get d job and u foolishly sat in ur home thinking that job seekers ar bunch of dummies,God wil arrest you personally soonest if u dont apologies to pple here.(a word is too much for d wise)
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by divinelove(m): 8:34am On Feb 13, 2013
younggurl: omg!a university graduate? I can't blv dis.

u cant believe wat common he is startin there n ll definitely move to beta places. Btw he doesnt even ve a choice. Ve u heard abt phd truck drivers applicants, notin humbles a man lik hunger.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Delaw7(m): 8:53am On Feb 13, 2013
I keep my skill updated
I'm building my Networks
I've my online presence built!

And progressively, I'm a succeeding in my career.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by lawak: 10:37am On Feb 13, 2013
Those whom the benevolent gods have cracked their nuts should not see others as fools....Chinua Achebe.
Donald Yusuf:

6. Create Your Own Job
I think creating your own job is one of the best things you could do for yourself when you can't find the so called "white collar" job. And you can do this by Starting a Business or Exploring a Talent.
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Tbabs4short(m): 11:02am On Feb 13, 2013
[color=][/color]thor=Tayothinks]You know the saying, “Applying to jobs is a full-time job”?

Don’t listen to it.

What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed

Applying to jobs you’re not qualified for (which 50% of job seekers reportedly do!) is counter-productive to your job search. Competition is too fierce. Even qualified applicants aren’t getting callbacks. So, stop applying to so many jobs and allocate time each week to becoming more hirable. Here’s how

1. Volunteer

Volunteering can increase your chances of being hired if you’re strategic about it. Unemployed teacher? Help out with after school programs or volunteer to be a coach’s assistant. Web designer? Find a local non-profit in desperate need of a re-design and offer your services pro bono. By volunteering somewhere relevant, you’ll keep your skills fresh while enhancing your resume.

2. Keep Your Skills Current

If you lack a skill commonly required for jobs you’re seeking, spend time each day building that skill. Take advantage of numerous free resources online, including tutorials, e-books, and how-to videos. If you’d rather have more of a class setup, then look for free or affordable adult education classes in your area. Alternatively, if you already possess the necessary skills but haven’t been practicing, the do so. Skill atrophy is a huge concern for hiring managers, so practice and get yourself ready for pre-employment skills tests.

3. Network

There are two parts to networking: reconnecting with your old contacts and forming new ones. Depending on where you are in your career, reconnecting might mean contacting professors, college advisers, and
De-law:
I keep my skill updated
I'm building my Networks
I've my online presence built!

And progressively, I'm a succeeding in my career.

thor=Tayothinks]You know the saying, “Applying to jobs is a full-time job”?

Don’t listen to it.

What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed

Applying to jobs you’re not qualified for (which 50% of job seekers reportedly do!) is counter-productive to your job search. Competition is too fierce. Even qualified applicants aren’t getting callbacks. So, stop applying to so many jobs and allocate time each week to becoming more hirable. Here’s how

1. Volunteer

Volunteering can increase your chances of being hired if you’re strategic about it. Unemployed teacher? Help out with after school programs or volunteer to be a coach’s assistant. Web designer? Find a local non-profit in desperate need of a re-design and offer your services pro bono. By volunteering somewhere relevant, you’ll keep your skills fresh while enhancing your resume.

2. Keep Your Skills Current

If you lack a skill commonly required for jobs you’re seeking, spend time each day building that skill. Take advantage of numerous free resources online, including tutorials, e-books, and how-to videos. If you’d rather have more of a class setup, then look for free or affordable adult education classes in your area. Alternatively, if you already possess the necessary skills but haven’t been practicing, the do so. Skill atrophy is a huge concern for hiring managers, so practice and get yourself ready for pre-employment skills tests.

3. Network

There are two parts to networking: reconnecting with your old contacts and forming new ones. Depending on where you are in your career, reconnecting might mean contacting professors, college advisers, and
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Revolva(m): 12:11pm On Feb 13, 2013
Owutu1: Pls am new here can anyone help on how to post topic
What sort of females do we ave..comon to post topic on NL u no fit and am sure you are a graduate..so how did u post on dis topic...hiss!!
Its annoyin because I was in a cybercafe and all the girls tryin to fill and submit an application form for the census recruitment..last year..two of them can't even use d internet properly..I was ashamed. I was the one dat filled and submit it for them very simple form...they were lost..and these babe hold Bold5..blackberry..wtf!! I tire graduates!!!
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by eimuhb(f): 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2013
Revolva:
What sort of females do we ave..comon to post topic on NL u no fit and am sure you are a graduate..so how did u post on dis topic...hiss!!
Its annoyin because I was in a cybercafe and all the girls tryin to fill and submit an application form for the census recruitment..last year..two of them can't even use d internet properly..I was ashamed. I was the one dat filled and submit it for them very simple form...they were lost..and these babe hold Bold5..blackberry..wtf!! I tire graduates!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by JadeWilliam(f): 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2013
A friend of myn started pampers biz (Huggies).She got someone 2b giving her pampers of diff sizes on credit in Lagos&sh sells in Abuja.Sh started by advertisin in her church&ppl started patronizin her then sh went to diff shops&markts&started supplyin&on each carton,sh makes profit of 2k so out of 100 cartons,sh maks 200k&sh somtyms sells ova 100 cartons a month cos pampers is a high demand commodity
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by JadeWilliam(f): 2:58pm On Feb 13, 2013
Another of my friend goes to Aba;buys materials frm shopping centre&maks this kind of Jonathan's cloths;makes men's shirts&this up&down cloth called Bishop wears.He then goes to higher institutions 2sell the shirts for 2k while he maks d shirts wit #600.And Sells the Bishop cloths for 10k.He takes those ones to gardens&hang outs 2markt&sell so dats how he made his contacts so anyone dat sees somone wearin it wil ask d persn where he got them&he uses good materials.He always calls his customers wen he has new wears&he is makin one hell of money
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by JadeWilliam(f): 3:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
My sister makes Ashoebi&Bridal train cloths for ppl doin wedding or any occasion.They'l tel her d colour of d day&sh'l pick materials dependin on d ppl's price range&then sh'l tak their measurements&mak fyn cloths for them&they'l pay her.Al these people makes so much money morethan we civil servants that wait on salaries
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by JadeWilliam(f): 3:57pm On Feb 13, 2013
One of my cousins learnt caterin durin her NYSC so wen sh finished,sh went round hospitals 2knw their antenatal days then sh maks moi-moi;eggroll;fishroll;kunu;zobo;fried liver;meatpie;pop corn;toasted bread&fried meat/chicken&sh sells them.Not like sh makes al at d same tym or evry week.Sh said it depends on d ones that sells out fast then sh also supplies to shops;supermarkts;resturants too.Sh makkes so much profits weekly.Sh also has people that helps her take 2schools&now ppl place orders frm their offices as in d ppl that sells or does biz in their offices&so on.She hires helps&now sh has expanded.She now makes birthday,wedding,anniversary cakes&cooks at ppl's occasions at affordable prices.D last tym we spoke,sh said sh wants 2open a fastfood joint or garden,Sh's stil weighin her options
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Limaoscar: 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
grin...good one. I Hope most job applicants will come here to get information rather than crowd Tonto dikeh, Dbanji...etc thread!
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Fhemmmy: 5:18pm On Feb 13, 2013
Limaoscar: grin...good one. I Hope most job applicants will come here to get information rather than crowd Tonto dikeh, Dbanji...etc thread!

Good one!
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by omowaleola(f): 6:10am On Feb 14, 2013
begwong: True talk op!
We went for an interview with an NGO recently.I came second in that interview while the guy who came first got the job(only 1 person reqd)Reason;he was already a volunteer with the organisation and that gave him an edge over us.
After the interview,i chose to be a volunteer and since then i have been with them hoping for my luck God's willing.
Pls,am interested in becoming one. How do I go about this?
Re: What You Should Be Doing If You’re Unemployed by Adetonyone: 4:17am On Feb 19, 2013
Great post, I give you thumb up for the write up, lots of job seeker do limit themselves focusing all their energy on jobs that may not come their way easily or are too competitive for them to beat down any competitor. While not find something that you have passion for and start doing ousomething about while still searching for job. Although I may not really blame them that much, I will put much of the blame on the educational system we run in the country, where we believe that just get a degree and you can work in any organization as far as you're Nigerian graduate. It's a wrong misconception that rub off the actual qualities in Nigerian graduate.
Nobody will teach you how to be successful in school, both relevant and irrelevant things will just be packed into your brain. Until you finish from school before you will realized that what is outside there is a different story story.
As the initiator of this post rightly said up there, look for where you can be helpful for the time being, do proper networking as this has the highest percentage of chances of getting a job, it's about 80% compare to the online job board everybody just focused and make it highly competitive.
For me, I will personally add this to it, don't underestimate your passion, what you like best, what you admire and desire, they are the sure-bet to make you successful in life. Don't wait until you have enough money before going after you passion, start small today and tomorrow you will look back and see that you've actually taken a giant step yesterday.
Where the world is going now, it will reach a stage where there will be no more job but there will be enough services, it's what you get to offer that will make you more money than you can think. Blue collar job is much more prefer this days than white collar job

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduate Jobs In Abuja At Bilview Energy / National Hospital, Abuja Recruitment 2017. See Vacancies & Apply / How To Apply For The Young Entrepreneurs And Students Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.