Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,854 members, 7,817,528 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Islam For Muslims Challenge - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam For Muslims Challenge (1660 Views)

Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station / Janet Jackson Converts To Islam For $20 Million Wedding / ~* Deols is 2011 'Islam For Muslims' Section Poster Of The Year: Congrats~* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam For Muslims Challenge by deols(f): 8:38am On Feb 13, 2013
The knowledge of Islam is beyond the dos and don'ts. The 'miracles'(true or not) aren't the basis of Islam. These plus the undesirable cultural practices of some Muslims around the world, thanks to our friends from other religions or disreligion are frequently found in this section and some make it to the home page.

I am hoping we can look at Islam from another angle, the seerah and make it interactive with much to learn from them.

The Companions Challenge

A companion(sahabah) is someone who lived at the time of the prophet. They can be male or female. May have been young or grown up. Many of them had trials, but remained firm Muslims. This challenge will help us learn more about them and live following their footsteps.

what is expected

1. Each person will choose a sahabah
2. Read about their story
3. share it with us on this thread
4. summarise the lessons learnt
5. we will all discuss it and add comments. prove some points or disprove others.

hopefully, every Muslim on Nl would participate smiley and make it fun. Derailers should please be ignored and not bannedwink

rules

*it should be orderly and numbered.
*make your choice known even before going ahead to read/wtite about it so that others won't go for same
*Don't take what someone else has chosen
*Don't insult any of the sahabah- this would be taken seriously
*ignore derailers while the moderators do their job
*You can choose as many as possible but one at a time.
*Use the best of words-no insults please.
*You don't need to wait for anyone to post theirs even if they chose before you

As with most of the things I start, I will make my choice first..
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by deols(f): 8:41am On Feb 13, 2013
1.Mushab bn Umayr wink
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by olawalebabs(m): 9:18am On Feb 13, 2013
Subscribing.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by zayhal(f): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2013
Good one babe. *following*

I'm not sure I'll be able to participate, but if I do, I'll go for Mu'adh ibn Jabal.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 5:38pm On Feb 19, 2013
I discover this educative thread just now and, however I am expecting a mighty contribution in making the thread to be alive but unfortunately it was abandoned as if people don't have the contribution and the successes of the propeht companions as well as ther effort of making the religion what it is today.

Kindly I will appeal to you my Brothers and Sisters to pull our effort and makes the thread dynamic from now on. I will in-sha Allah pick a noble companion and discuss him (achievement performance and his contribution) with you and it wouldn't be quite long.

2 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 6:29pm On Feb 19, 2013
I will go for SA'D IBN ABI WAQQAAS The Lion's Claws! - 1 In sha Allah.

2 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by jamil2(m): 6:06am On Feb 20, 2013
Interesting Thread Just fallowing..............
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 11:40am On Feb 20, 2013
1.SA'AD IBN ABI WAQQAS.

As-salam `alaykum wa rahmat ALLAH wa barakatuh.

Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Ra7eem

Al 7amduliLLAHi Rabb-il-`alameen

As-salat wa as-salam `ala nabiyyina Muhammad wa `ala alihi wa sa7bihi ajma3een

What do we know about this Companion (radhia ALLAH anh) except that he was the maternal uncle of the Messenger of ALLAH (salla ALLAH `alayhi wa salam)

The first part we'll dedicate to his (rA) life and the second to the great battles he had taken part in that made him the bearer of the title "The Lion's Claws".

Whenever he turned to the Prophet (pbuh) while sitting among his Companions, was greeted cheerfully by the Prophet (pbuh) saying, "He's my maternal uncle."

He was Sa'd Ibn Abi Waqqaas. His grandfather was Uhaib Ibn Manaaf, the paternal uncle of Aaminah, the mother of the Prophet (PBUH). He accepted Islam when he was 17 years old. He embraced Islam very early. When he talked about himself, he said, "I witnessed a day in which I was third in Islam," which means that he was the third to embrace Islam.

When the Prophet (PBUH) spoke about the One God and about the new religion whose teachings he was to spread all around, and before using Daar Al-Arqam as a refuge for himself and the Companions in those early days, Sa'd Ibn Abi Waqqaas had already sworn the oath of allegiance to the Prophet (PBUH).

Historical and biographical sources inform us that the conversion of Abu Bakr was the reason for Sa'd's embracing Islam. He may have been one of those who announced their belief in Islam after Abu Bakr convinced them. This group included Uthmaan lbn `Afaan, Az-Zubair Ibn Al-'Awaam, Abd Ar- Rahman Ibn `Awf and Talhah Ibn Ubaid Allah. However, that does not omit the possibility that his conversion had taken place secretly and he had believed even earlier.

Sa'd lbn Abi Waqqaas had many noble qualities which he could be proud of. However, he never arrogantly mentioned any of these merits, except for two great privileges.

To be continued in sha Allah.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by deols(f): 1:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
thank you so much.

I have actually learnt something. to emphasise and appreciate my priviledges and not my prowess nor abilities.

I am grateful for the lessons and pls bring on the concluding part.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 5:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
- First, he was the first to throw a spear in the cause of Allah and the first to be struck by one.

- Second, he was the only one for whom the Prophet (PBUH) hoped his parents might be his ransom.

That happened when the Prophet (PBUH) said to him on the day of Uhud, `Throw, Sa'd. May my father and mother be your ransom." Yes, indeed, he always mentioned proudly these two noble blessings. Thanking Allah, he always said, "By Allah, I am the first Arab to throw a spear in the cause of Allah."

Aliy lbn Abi Taalib said, "I have never heard the Prophet (PBUH) hoping that his parents may be made someone's ranson except Sa'd. On the day of Uhud I heard the Prophet (PBUH) say, "Throw Sa'd. May my father and mother be your ransom."

Sa'd was considered to be one of the most courageous Arab and Muslim horsemen. He possessed two weapons, his lance and his prayer. Whenever he pierced an enemy with his lance he hurt him; whenever he invoked Allah He answered. He and the Companions always saw that this was due to the Prophet's prayer in favor of him. One day, when the Prophet saw him doing something which made him glad and delighted, he made the following plea: "O Allah, make his spear hit unerringly and answer his prayer."

It was in this way that he became famous among his companions for his prayer, which was like a sharp sword. He knew that about himself; therefore, he never cursed a person. Sa'd would just trust Allah to do with him as He liked.

An example of that is what `Aamir Ibn Sa'd once narrated: Sa'd once saw a man insulting `Aliy, Talhah and Az-Zubair. He forbade him, but he didn't stop. Sa'd then said, "Then I will invoke Allah against you." The man said, "You're threatening me as if you were a Prophet."

Sa'd went away, performed his ablution and prayed two rak'ahs. Then he lifted his hands up and said, "O Allah, if You know that that man has insulted people who have already been granted by You that which is the best and his cursing of them has annoyed You, then make an example out of him." Only a short while had passed, when a stray camel went out of a house. Nothing could stay it till it entered a crowd as if searching for something. Then it attacked the man, and he fell between its legs. It continued to kick the man down till he died.

If this phenomenon was to prove something, then it proved primarily the purity of his soul, the honesty of his faith, and the depth of his sincerity. He always sought to support his piety by halaal food; with great insistence he always refused to take doubtful money.

to be continue in sha Allah.

3 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by emcemayo: 9:11pm On Feb 21, 2013
Subhanallah I envy the OP for d awesome reward u'll b getting for this thread , that said am going on research I'll insh'llah be back, may Allah uplift you all and CHAKULA barakallahu fee! That's all I can say

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by deols(f): 5:30am On Feb 22, 2013
emcemayo: Subhanallah I envy the OP for d awesome reward u'll b getting for this thread , that said am going on research I'll insh'llah be back, may Allah uplift you all and CHAKULA barakallahu fee! That's all I can say

envy is good-for the right things. Now you just brought my mind to the rewards. I feel like doing more smiley
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 3:23pm On Feb 22, 2013
emcemayo: Subhanallah I envy the OP for d awesome reward u'll b getting for this thread , that said am going on research I'll insh'llah be back, may Allah uplift you all and CHAKULA barakallahu fee! That's all I can say

Ameen.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 3:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
Sa'd lived until he became one of the wealthiest Muslims. When he died, he left a great fortune behind. Although the abundance of money and its legitimacy are rarely to be found together, they certainly were combined in the hands of Sa'd. Thus Allah granted him a great amount of halaal money.

He (may Allah be pleased with him) was a great figure in the act of charity, as much as he was a great figure in the act of righteously choosing the sources of his money. His ability to collect purely halaal money was equal to, if not second to, his ability to donate it in the cause of Allah.

He became ill during the Farewell Pilgrimage, when he was accompanying the Prophet (PBUH), who visited him. Sa`d asked him (PBUH), "O Messenger of Allah, I own a lot of money and there is nobody to inherit from me except one daughter. May I contribute two thirds of my money as alms?" The Prophet (PBUH) said, "No." Then he said, "Then half of it?" The Prophet (PBUH) said, "No." Then he said, "Then a third?" The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Yes, and the third is too much. To leave your heirs wealthy is better than to leave them having to be dependent on someone. If you spend any money in the cause of Allah you'll be rewarded for it, even the bite you put in your wife's mouth."

Sa'd did not remain the father of one daughter because he was later on blessed with other children.

Sa'd used to cry a lot out of piety. Whenever he listened to the Prophet (PBUH) preaching or advising, his tears rolled down abundantly, so that his tears nearly filled his lap.

To be continue in sha Allah.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by deols(f): 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2013
ma sha Allah.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 5:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
I love poems so id go with 2. Hassan ibn Thabit.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 5:50pm On Feb 22, 2013
One of his poems translated to English:

When I saw his light shining forth,
In fear I covered my eyes with my palms,
Afraid for my sight because of the beauty of his form.
So I was scarcely able to look at him at all.
The lights from his light are drowned in his light
and his faces shines out like the sun and moon in one.
A spirit of light lodged in a body like the moon,
a mantle made up of brilliant shining stars.
I bore it until I could bear it no longer.
I found the taste of patience to be like bitter aloes.
I could find no remedy to bring me relief
other than delighting in the sight of the one I love.
Even if he had not brought any clear signs with him,
the sight of him would dispense with the need for them.
Muhammad is a human being but not like other human beings.
Rather he is a flawless diamond and the rest of mankind is just stones.
Blessings be on him so that perhaps Allah may have mercy on us
on that burning Day when the Fire is roaring forth its sparks.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?248679-Poetry-by-Hassan-bin-Thabit-(RA)

More on his biography later.

2 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by kemiola89(f): 9:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
Wow! Quite an interesting topic.
@chakula! Pls come and complete what you started, i hate suspense. *following topic* @deols! Dont keep us waiting. Get it on already! I am so loving this thread, do wish i could contribute but gat no much knowledge about it, still on the learning process though. May Almighty Allah reward you for this.

2 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by sino(m): 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
Beautiful!

Mine would be Abu Hurayrah r.a

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2013
He was blessed with success and accomplishment. Once the Prophet (PBUH) was sitting with the Companions when his eyes gazed on the horizon while listening to what was being revealed secretly and whisperingly. Then he looked at his Companions' faces and said, "A man who belongs to Paradise will soon appear." The Companions turned in all directions trying to learn, who this successful person may be. After a while, Sa'd arrived.

Later on, Abd Allah Ibn Amr Ibn Al-'Aas asked him persistently to tell him the worship or deed which made him eligible for such a reward. Sa'd told him, "Nothing more than what we all do or worship, except that I don't carry any spite or hatred towards any Muslim.'

This is the "Lion's Claws" as `Abd Ar-Rahman Ibn Awf had described him. This is the man whom `Umar chose for the great day of the Battle of Al- Qaadisiyah.

The Commander of the Faithful had insight into all his glittering merits when he chose him for the most difficult task confronting Islam and the Muslims:

- His prayers were heard and answered; if he asked Allah for victory, he would be granted it.

- His food was pure, his tongue was pure, his conscience was pure.

- He was a man who belonged to Paradise, as the Messenger (PBUH) prophesied.

- He was the horseman on the Day of Badr, the horseman on the Day of Uhud and in every battle he experienced with the Prophet (PBUH).

- And another thing, which `Umar would not forget nor underestimate the value and importance among the characteristics which should be present in anyone facing major tasks, was the strength and firmness of his faith.

-`Umar did not forget what happened between Sa'd and his mother when he converted to Islam and followed the Prophet (PBUH). At that time, all attempts to hinder and obstruct him from the cause of Allah had failed. His mother used a device which none doubted would conquer Sa'd's soul and drive him back to his people's idols. She announced her abstention from food and drink until Sa'd returned to his ancestors' and kin's religion. She actually carried on her hunger strike with death defying determination and had almost approached death.

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 6:10pm On Feb 25, 2013
kemiola89: Wow! Quite an interesting topic.
@chakula! Pls come and complete what you started, i hate suspense. *following topic* @deols! Dont keep us waiting. Get it on already! I am so loving this thread, do wish i could contribute but gat no much knowledge about it, still on the learning process though. May Almighty Allah reward you for this.

Have your update above.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 6:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
The bolded part on each post stand as a lesson to learn, so kindly if not all we should endeavor hard to put some into practice, in consequence it wouldn’t end up reading the lengthy post worthless however, the history will also assist us to benefit from their greatness and the effort made to firm their believes integral. In addition it will also help and transform our rational towards the perfect deeds of these pious people.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by sino(m): 6:58pm On Feb 25, 2013
BismiLLAHI ARAHMAN ARAHEEM

Abu hurayrah (R.A), real name Abd shams(literally servant of the sun), later renamed AbduRahman(servant of the beneficent Lord ) by the prophet (SAW), till date remains one of the most popular companion of the prophet(SAW). Personally, I haven’t read any Islamic literature without the mention of this wonderful sahabah.
A little background check,
Abu Hurayrah became a Muslim at the hands of at-Tufayl ibn Amr the chieftain of the Daws tribe to which he belonged. The Daws lived in the region of Tihamah which stretches along the coast of the Red Sea in southern Arabia. When at-Tufayl returned to his village after meeting the Prophet and becoming a Muslim in the early years of his mission, Abu Hurayrah was one of the first to respond to his call. He was unlike the majority of the Daws who remained stubborn in their old beliefs for a long time.
Abu Hurayrah stayed in Tihamah for several years and it was only at the beginning of the seventh year of the Hijrah that he arrived in Madinah with others of his tribe. The Prophet had gone on a campaign to Khaybar. Being destitute, Abu Hurayrah took up his place in the Masjid with other of the Ahl as-Suffah. He was single, without wife or child.

Abu Hurayrah and the Prophet (SAW)
Abu Hurayrah loved the Prophet a great deal and found favor with him. He was never tired of looking at the Prophet whose face appeared to him as having all the radiance of the sun and he was never tired of listening to him. He was given abu Hurayrah by the Prophet(SAW), once he was sited with the Prophet and he kept a little kitten under his garment and was playing with it, the Prophet, who also was reported to be a lover of cat, noticed him and said “ya Aba Hurayarah” (oh father of a kitten). Often he would praise God for his good fortune and say: "Praise be to God Who has guided Abu Hurayrah to Islam." Praise be to God Who has taught Abu Hurayrah the Quran." "Praise be to God who has bestowed on Abu Hurayrah the companionship of Muhammad, may God bless him and grant him peace." He accompanied The Prophet on many journeys and expeditions.

Abu hurayrah, a very sharp guy cheesy
On reaching Madinah, Abu Hurayrah set his heart on attaining knowledge. Zayd ibn Thabit the notable companion of the Prophet reported: "While Abu Hurayrah and I and another friend of mine were in the Masjid praying to God Almighty and performing dhikr to Him, the Messenger of God appeared. He came towards us and sat among us. We became silent and he said: "Carry on with what you were doing."
"So my friend and I made a supplication to God before Abu Hurayrah did and the Prophet began to say Ameen to our dua. "Then Abu Hurayrah made a supplication saying: "O Lord, I ask You for what my two companions have asked and I ask You for knowledge which will not be forgotten." "The Prophet, peace be on him, said: 'Ameen.' "We then said: 'And we ask Allah for knowledge which will not be forgotten, and the Prophet replied: 'The Dawsi youth has asked for this before you." "With his formidable memory, Abu Hurayrah set out to memorize in the four years that he spent with the Prophet, the gems of wisdom that emanated from his lips. He realized that he had a great gift and he set about to use it to the full in the service of Islam.

Abu Hurayrah, the hadith memorizer
Yeah, he was one of the prominent companions to memorize and narrate hadith of the Prophet (SAW). Many companions were amazed at the number of hadith he had memorized and often questioned him on when he had heard a certain hadith and under what circumstances. Once Marwan ibn al-Hakam wanted to test Abu Hurayrah's power of memory. He sat with him in one room and behind a curtain he placed a scribe, unknown to Abu Hurayrah, and ordered him to write down whatever Abu Hurayrah said. A year later, Marwan called Abu Hurayrah again and asked him to recall the same ahadith which the scribe had recorded. It was found that he had forgotten not a single word.

Abu Hurayrah, a man dedicated to knowledge
Abu Hurayrah was concerned to teach and transmit the ahadith he had memorized and knowledge of Islam in general. It is reported that one day he passed through the suq of Madinah and naturally saw people engrossed in the business of buying and selling.
"How feeble are you, O people of Madinah!" he said. "What do you see that is feeble in us, Abu Hurayrah?" they asked. "The inheritance of the Messenger of God, peace be on him, is being distributed and you remain here! Won't you go and take your portion?" "Where is this, O Abu Hurayrah?" they asked. "In the Masjid," he replied. Quickly they left. Abu Hurayrah waited until they returned. When they saw him, they said: "O Abu Hurayrah, we went to the Masjid and entered and we did not see anything being distributed." "Didn't you see anyone in the Masjid?" he asked. "O yes, we saw some people performing Salat, some people reading the Quran and some people discussing about what is halal and what is haram." "Woe unto you," replied Abu Hurayrah," that is the inheritance of Muhammad, may God bless him and grant him peace."
Abu Hurayrah underwent much hardship and difficulties as a result of his dedicated search for knowledge. He was often hungry and destitute. But that didn’t stop his search and teaching of Islamic knowledge.
Abu Hurayrah, a man of spirituality
Much of Abu Hurayrah's time would be spent in spiritual exercises and devotion to God. Qiyam al-Layl staying up for the night in prayer and devotion - was a regular practice of his family including his wife and his daughter. He would stay up for a third of the night, his wife for another third and his daughter for a third. In this way, in the house of Abu Hurayrah no hour of the night would pass without ibadah, dhikr and Salat.

Abu Hurayrah, a man of integrity
During the caliphate of Umar, Umar appointed him as governor of Bakrain. Umar was very scrupulous about the type of persons whom he appointed as governors. He was always concerned that his governors should live simply and frugally and not acquire much wealth even though this was through lawful means. In Bahrain, Abu Hurayrah became quite rich. Umar heard of this and recalled him to Madinah. Umar thought he had acquired his wealth through unlawful means and questioned him about where and how he had acquired such a fortune. Abu Hurayrah replied: "From breeding horses and gifts which I received." "Hand it over to the treasury of the Muslims," ordered Umar. Abu Hurayrah did as he was told and raised his hands to the heavens and prayed: "O Lord, forgive the Amir al-Muminin." Subsequently, Umar asked him to become governor once again but he declined. Umar asked him why he refused and he said: "So that my honor would not be besmirched, my wealth taken and my back beaten." And he added: "And I fear to judge without knowledge and speak without wisdom."
How I wish we can say this about our present leaders…

Abu Hurayrah, a man who loved his mother
When Abu hurayrah accepted Islam, his mother was a mushrik, this saddened him, kso he asked the prophet kto pray that Allah soften his mother’s heart to Islam. The kProphet(SAW) supplicated to Allah and his mother accepted Islam. Throughout his life Abu Hurayrah remained kind and courteous to his mother. Whenever he wanted to leave home, he would stand at the door of her room and say: As-salaamu alaykum, yaa ummataah, wa rahrnatullahi wa barakatuhu, peace be on you, mother, and the mercy and blessings of God." She would reply: "Wa alayka-s salaam, yaa bunayya, wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu - And on you be peace, my son, and the mercy and blessings of God." Often, he would also say: "May God have mercy on you as you cared for me when I was small," and she would reply: "May God have mercy on you as you delivered me from error when I was old." Abu Hurayrah always encouraged other people to be kind and good to their parents. One day he saw two men walking together, one older than the other. He asked the younger one: "What is this man to you?" "My father," the person replied. "Don't call him by his name. Don't walk in front of him and don't sit before him," advised Abu Hurayrah.

It was reported that Abu Hurayrah(R.A) died at the age of 78years, in the year 59 A.H.
Indeed, Abu Hurayrah (R.A) was one of the greatest companions of the Prophet (SAW).

2 Likes

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by kemiola89(f): 9:22pm On Feb 25, 2013
Quite an interesting piece from sino. Well explained
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by sino(m): 11:14pm On Feb 25, 2013
kemiola89: Quite an interesting piece from sino. Well explained
jazaks sis, the writing was basically from Biographies of companions on Alim software, with little edIIIt and input by me.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 4:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Despite all that, Sa'd did not care. He would not sell his faith and religion for anything, even if it were his mother's life. Hoping that his heart would yield upon seeing her, some relatives took Sa'd to his mother, who was almost dying.

Sa'd went to her. The scene was so impressive, even mountain rocks would yield and melt. However, his belief in Allah and His Messenger proved to be stronger than rocks and iron. He came with his face nearer and shouted so that she could hear him. "You know, by Allah, mother, if you had 100 souls coming out one after the other I wouldn't abandon my faith in return for anything. Then eat if you like or don't eat!"

His mother changed her mind. A divine revelation greeted Sa`d's position and supported it. "But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not..." (31 : 15).

Sa'd lived long. He secluded himself during the period of civil strife following the death of the third Caliph, `Uthmaan. Furthermore, he ordered his whole family and children not to tell him any news about what was happening.

Once, everyone was anxious to know his position, when his nephew Haashim Ibn `Utbah lbn Abi Waqqaas said to him, "O uncle, here are 100,000 swords which consider you the more entitled to that matter (i.e. the caliphate)." Sa'd responded, "I want out of the 100,000 swords, just one sword that if it hits a believer it won't do anything, but if it hits a disbeliever it cuts through."

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by chakula: 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
His nephew realized what he meant and left him in his isolation and security.

When the dispute ended in favor of Mu'aawiyah, who took over the reins of government, he asked Sa'd, `Why didn't you fight with us?"

He answered, "A dark cloud passed over me. I told it, Shoo! Shoo! I stopped my riding camel until it passed away."

Mu'aawiyah said, "Shoo! Shoo can not be found in the glorious Book of Allah, but Allah said "And if two parties or groups among the believers fall into fighting, then make peace between them both, but if one of them rebels against the other, then fight you (all) against the one that which rebels till it complies with the Command of Allah" (49 : 9). And you did not take anyone's side. You weren't with the unjust against the just, nor were you with the just against the unjust."

Hereupon Sa'd responded, "I wouldn't have fought a man (he meant `Aliy Ibn Abi Taalib) to whom the Prophet (PBUH) said, "You have towards me the same position Haaruun (Aaron) had towards Muusaa (Moses), except that there isn't any Prophet coming after me."

One day in A.H. 54, having exceeded the age of 80, he was at his house in Al-`Aqiiq preparing to meet Allah.

His son spoke of his final moments: His head was upon my lap, he was passing away. I cried, but he said, "What makes You cry, my son? Allah will never torture me. I belong to Paradise!"

The firmness of his faith could not be weakened even by the quaking fear of death. The Prophet (PBUH) had passed him the good news and he believed firmly in the Prophet's honesty; therefore what was there to be afraid of? "Allah will never torture me. I belong to Paradise!"

However, he wanted to meet Allah carrying the most magnificent and most wonderful memory, a memory which joined him with his religion and his Prophet (PBUH). Therefore, he pointed to his coffer. They opened it and got out an old, torn, threadbare gown. He ordered his kin to shroud him in that gown saying, "I met the disbelievers at the Battle of Badr wearing it. I've saved it for this day."

Indeed, this threadbare gown was not just a gown. It was the banner waving over a long great life. Our hero lived it honestly, bravely, and faithfully.

The body of the last Muhaajiruun was buried in Al- Madiinah, safely laid beside a group of great Companions who preceded him to Allah. Their exhausted bodies had finally found a secure shelter in the ground of Al-Baqii`.

Ma sha Allah I have come to the end.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by kemiola89(f): 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
Subhuanallah!!! @Chakula! Wonderful piece from you. Though at some point i was lost so i had to pause for you to complete. Starting all over again to understand the message more better. May Almighty Allaah reward you for this.
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 1:59am On Mar 10, 2013
Sayyeduna Hassan ibn Thabit (Ra) was a very dear companion of our beloved Prophet (saw).
He was the first and most notable poet who used his beautiful poetry to praise the Prophet (saw).

Hassan ibn Thabit (ra) had won acclaim at the courts of the Christian Arab Ghassanid kings in Syria and the Lakhmid kings of al-Hirah in Iraq.
He settled in Medina, where he accepted Islam at about the age of 60.

He became Islam's earliest poetic defender. His writings in defence of Prophet Muhammad (saw) contain references to contemporary events that have been useful in documenting the period. He was also Islam's first religious poet, using many phrases from the Qur'an in his verses. The work of Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) was instrumental in spreading the message of the Prophet (saw), as the Arabs were great poets and this formed a large part of the culture. The work and words of Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) are still regarded as the most beautiful in praise of the beloved Messenger (saw), and confirm how Islam permits the use of different talents and abilities as long as they are in support of Allah (swt) and His Prophet (saw).

The Prophet (saw) was so happy with Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) that he ordered to establish and construct for him a mimbar- pulpit for him to stand upon when he delivered his poetry. The Prophet (saw) prayed for him saying that the Angel Gabriel (as) will support you as long as you defend Allah and His Prophet (saw).

Narrated Hassan bin Thabit Al-Ansari: I asked Abu Huraira "By Allah! Tell me the truth whether you heard the Prophet saying, ‘O Hassan! Reply on behalf of Allah's Apostle. O Allah! Help him with the Holy Spirit.’" Abu Huraira said, "Yes." (Bukhari)

Some examples are given of the beautiful and melodious poetry from the greatest religious poet; Hassan Ibn Thabit (Ra). These words have been translated from Arabic and as in all attempted translations, meaning and often the actual beauty can be lost. However these words do help us to understand the love of the Companions for our Prophet (saw), and the element of da’wah (invitation) to Islam.

When I saw his light shining forth,
In fear I covered my eyes with my palms,
Afraid for my sight because of the beauty of his form.
So I was scarcely able to look at him at all.
The lights from his light are drowned in his light
and his faces shines out like the sun and moon in one.
A spirit of light lodged in a body like the moon,
a mantle made up of brilliant shining stars.
I bore it until I could bear it no longer.
I found the taste of patience to be like bitter aloes.
I could find no remedy to bring me relief
other than delighting in the sight of the one I love.
Even if he had not brought any clear signs with him,
the sight of him would dispense with the need for them.
Muhammad is a human being but not like other human beings.
Rather he is a flawless diamond and the rest of mankind is just stones.
Blessings be on him so that perhaps Allah may have mercy on us
on that burning Day when the Fire is roaring forth its sparks.

He was the light and the brilliance we followed,
He was sight and hearing second only to Allah,
By Allah, no woman has conceived and given birth
To one like the Messenger, the Prophet and Guide of His people.
Nor Has Allah created among His creatures,
One more faithful to His sojourner or His promise
than he who was the source of our light.
Blessed in his deeds, just and upright,
O best of mankind, It was though I were in a river,
But now, without you, I have become lonely in my thirst
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 2:01am On Mar 10, 2013
Hassan bin Thabit ~ Conquest Through a Fluent Tongue

'Atarid bin Hajib came to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) along with the notables of Banu Tameem. They came to him regarding the captives from Banu Tameem, who had been taken by the expedition of 'Uyainah bin Hisn al-Fazari in the month of Muharram in that year. 'Uyainah had taken eleven men, twenty-one women and thirty children. He took them to al-Madinah and the chiefs of Banu Tameem came regarding them. When they entered the Mosque, they called upon the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) from behind al-Hujurat - that is his house - to come out to them. This annoyed the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) and Allah revealed concerning them:

"Verily, those who call you from behind the dwellings, most of them have no sense. And if they had patience till you could come out to them, it would have been better for them. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [49:3-4]

When he (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) went out to them, they said: "We have come to contend with you in prose and poetry, so allow our poet and our orator to speak." He (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said: "I permit your orator."

Then 'Atarid stood up and spoke and the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said to Thabit bin Qais bin Shammas: "Stand up and answer the man."

So Thabit stood up and spoke, answering him. Then Az-Zibriqan bin Badr stood up and said:

We are the nobles and there is no tribe who is equal to us,
Among us are kings and among us places of worship are erected,
And how many great men have we subdued,
All of them in war, and virtue and might belong to us,
And we give the people in times of drought,
Food to eat, when rain does not fall...

- up to his words:

We refuse to be subjugated and none can subjugate us,
For this reason, we are proud of ourselves...

These are some of the verses he recited. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said to Hassan (radiyallahu 'anhu): "Stand up and reply to the man." So he stood up and said:

The honourable people who are descended from Fihr and their brothers,
Have shown the people deeds which they follow,
Which please all those in whose hearts lies fear of Allah,
And love of all good deeds,
A people who, when they fight, they harm their enemy,
But who, when they try to help their supporters, they succeed,
This is their nature, not something artificial,
You should know that the worst of deeds are the innovations,
If the people were to compete to perform good deeds after them,
They would not attain their level...
- up to his words:

They are not miserly with their neighbours, due to their virtue,
They will not allow harm to come to them,
They are not arrogant when they defeat their enemies,
And when they are defeated, they are neither weak nor fearful,
They are proud when seized by the talons of war,
When its claws rip them, they are humble...

- up to his words:

The Messenger of Allah honoured those who supported him,
When opinions and sects proliferated,
I praise them with all of my heart,
And support them by that which he loves,
A fluent tongue which composes verses...

Az-Zibriqan also said:

We came to you so that the people might see our virtue,
When they gather to celebrate the festivals,
We are the kings of people in every country,
And there is none in the land of al-Hijaz like Darm,
And we are the heroes wearing badges of courage when they are conceited,
And we cut off the head of every arrogant scoundrel,
And a quarter of the war booty belongs to us from every battle,
Which takes place in Najd or in the land of the Non-Arabs...

Hassan bin Thabit (radiyallahu 'anhu) answered him thus:

Is nobility aught but ancient glory and magnanimity,
And the honour of kings and preseverance in the face of calamity?
We supported and sheltered the Prophet Muhammad,
In spite of all from (the descendents) of Ma'add,
Careless of whether they agreed or they disagreed...

- up to his words:

And we fought the people with sharp swords, until they followed his religion,
And we gave birth to one from Quraish who is the greatest of them,
We gave birth to the Prophet of goodness, from the family of Hashim,
Banu Darim! Do not be proud, for verily your pride will breed evil consequences,
When you mention these noble traits, do you not understand?
Do you think that you are better than us, when you are our kin?
(You are all descended from) either wet-nurses or servants,
If you have come to protect your lives and your property,
Then swear by Allah that you will not associate any partner with Allah,
And embrace Islam and wear not the garments (i.e. follow not the customs and practices) of the Non-Arabs.

When Hassan (radiyallahu 'anhu) had finished his recitation, Al-Aqra' bin Habis said: "Verily, this man [i.e. the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam)] has a ready helper. His orator is better than our narrator, his poet is better than our poet and their voices are sweeter than our voices." So when they left the meeting, they embraced Islam and the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) gave them valuable gifts.

Allahu Akbar....

[Source: Abridged Biography of Prophet Muhammad (p. 302-305)]
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 2:06am On Mar 10, 2013
Hassan said:

You satirised Muhammad, but I replied on his behalf,
And there is reward with Allah for this.
You satirised Muhammad, virtuous, righteous,
The Messenger of Allah, whose nature is truthfulness.
So verily my father and his father and my honour
Are a protection to the honour of Muhammad;
May I lose my dear daughter, if you don't see her,
Wiping away the dust from the two sides of Kada',
They pull at the rein, going upward;
On their shoulders are spears thirsting (for the blood of the enemy);
Our steeds are sweating, our women wipe them with their mantles.
If you had not interfered with us, we would have performed the 'Umrah,
And (then) there was the Victory, and the darkness cleared away.
Otherwise wait for the fighting on the day in which Allah will honour whom He pleases.
And Allah said: "I have sent a servant who says the Truth in which there is no ambiguity,"
And Allah said: "I have prepared an army, they are the Ansaar whose object is fighting (the enemy),"
There reaches every day from Ma'add abuse, or fighting or satire;
Whoever satirises the Messenger from amongst you,
Or praises him and helps it is all the same,
And Jibreel, the Messenger of Allah is among us,
And the Rooh-ul-Qudus who has no match.

Allahu Akbar!!!!

Sources: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?122994-Hassan-bin-Thabit-Conquest-Through-a-Fluent-Tongue
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83515
Re: Islam For Muslims Challenge by tbaba1234: 2:08am On Mar 10, 2013
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not revile my Companions, do not revile my Companions. By Him in Whose Hand is my life, if one amongst you would have spent as much gold as Uhud it would not amount to as much as one much on behalf of one of them or half of it.

Muslim :: Book 31 : Hadith 6167

'A'isha reported that a person asked Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as to who amongst the people were the best. He said: Of the generation to which I belong, then of the second generation (generation adjacent to my generation), then of the third generation (generation adjacent to the second generation).

Muslim :: Book 31 : Hadith 6159

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oneness Of Worship Of Allah In Bible And Qur'an / James Grant, A US Army Officer In Afghanistan Converts To Islam / _bowing, Bending, Kneeling To Greet Are Shirk_*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.