Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13973 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 10:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
Today, Wednesday marked the beginning of the fasting period. This is a thread for all participants to share their experiences, temptations, prayer pattern and everything related to Lent.
As for me, I prepared for this period by eating a very healthy and highly nutritious meal yesterday. However, last night at 2am I had serious symptoms of Malaria so I started my first dose of Lonart DS, took second dose at 9am with food. So, my fasting period was between 9am to 6 pm with prayers at intervals. Let's hear yours. We'll come by each day to share our experiences and encourage each other. Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 10:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
DAY 2 (February 14):
Second day of lent. Fasting mode still activated. My colleague at work brought very nice valentine cake angry Was a tough one for me not to dig in.
I spent all day (Valentine) at work. Thank God it was terrible busy, though I prayed for it. Spent some part of the day sending job application for somebody beside myself! grin I felt it's an act of love! I hope he gets the job, I'll be glad.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 10:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
Day 3 (February 15th 2013)
12am-6pm fast duration. Prayed intermittently. Reminisced about my life.
I will like to hear how the rest of Nairalanders are going about the lent. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 16, 2013
Good afternoon Dextra,

This is a very nice thread!

Kudos!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 4:31pm On Feb 16, 2013
striktlymi: Good afternoon Dextra,

This is a very nice thread!

Kudos!
Thanks! Are you observing the Lent season too? smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dextra:
Thanks! Are you observing the Lent season too? smiley

I am Catholic, I am a healthy adult so I will say, Yes!

2 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by alexleo(m): 8:32am On Feb 17, 2013
Dextra: Today, Wednesday marked the beginning of the fasting period. This is a thread for all participants to share their experiences, temptations, prayer pattern and everything related to Lent.
As for me, I prepared for this period by eating a very healthy and highly nutritious meal yesterday. However, last night at 2am I had serious symptoms of Malaria so I started my first dose of Lonart DS, took second dose at 9am with food. So, my fasting period was between 9am to 6 pm with prayers at intervals. Let's hear yours. We'll come by each day to share our experiences and encourage each other. Thank you!

catholics na wa for you people. Full of traditions.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
alexleo:

Sorry, I am not Catholic. I don't claim any denomination neither do I abhor any. I believe in God, in Jesus His dear son and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit! I indulge in this fast season to "Sharpen" my Spirit so that my physical being does not take preeminence. Savy? smiley

8 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2013
alexleo:

And what is wrong with 'traditions' or fasting?

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by ooman(m): 1:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
You guys are just suffering yourself.

free yourself, eat and drink with your families. it is a waste of time to fast, there is no god to answer.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by jimino(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
kip it up, rememba 2 give arms. May God help us 2 come closer 2 HIM. Amen

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 4:30pm On Feb 17, 2013
DAY 4 (February 16, 2013)
I didn't feel as hungry as I used to be during the last previous days. I guess my body is getting used to the fast undecided Was so busy at work that I had to break at 9pm. Anyway, I have been happier too. grin

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
Amen!
I have a question...is it true that any sin committed during Lent will not be forgiven?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by sammmiey1: 4:40pm On Feb 17, 2013
ooman: You guys are just suffering yourself.

free yourself, eat and drink with your families. it is a waste of time to fast, there is no god to answer.
Lost sheep

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2013

For the sake of peace, I'm gonna be calm about this. If you do not believe in something, that's fine. Do not insult the people who do, that's taking it too far.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by sammmiey1: 4:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Amen!
I have a question...is it true that any sin committed during Lent will not be forgiven?
no,its nt true,all sins r forgivn xcept against d holy spirit
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
Not to my knowledge. All sins can be forgiven except speaking against the Holy Spirit...
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 4:48pm On Feb 17, 2013

Did you say "There is no god to answer?"
Well, my dear..."The fool has said in his heart there is no God".
I have felt the very existence of God in my life, even as a child I had experiences too. If you seek Him you will definitely find Him. Let me share one experience with you. I went through financial constraint while in post secondary school. I resumed school after paying my school fees with the money I had been saving since I graduated from high school. I resumed with a bag, a bucket and just #60 Naira. Several weeks after that, I didn't have kerosene in my stove to cook and I couldn't go on begging from neighbors. I had always had Faith in God's ability so I was forced to put it to work. For complete 10 days I cooked on a stove without kerosene. i just refuse to open it or acknowledge that it was dry, I just lit it and cook the little I had. Until, my brother sent me some money, I went to the market and bought kerosene. I lit the stove and it died within few seconds. My dear, I don't believe in God based on what I was told or what I have heard but What I know. Though I'm not a Catholic, I remember as a child the encounter I had with the Rosary and I may tell you if you want to hear it.
Just ask God to reveal Himself to You, He will. Seek Him and you shall find Him.

15 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Peterboy1(m): 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2013
me have not observed lent oooo, God help me
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by sammmiey1: 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2013

I checked ur profile,u nothin but a complete atheist!but plz dnt digress dis super thread with peculiar belief
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
Not true.
Remember, Sin shall have no dominion over you. It is possible to live a guilt-free life. Stop being conscious of sin, just live in love, see others from the eyes of God and do everything in love. Simple. Love is everything. Try walking in Love and you will not have problem with sin.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
@op, its good you chose to go on food fasting,I remember when I was younger, my sister used to be a fashion freak and can't go without makeups, so when lent came she chose to focus on God and halt at makeups.
She completed the lent without makeups which was quite difficult but the grace of God abounds.
Back in school,My roommate spends more on recharge cards let say 4 a week he spends as much as 5000, but he actually 'fasted on cards' he spent let say 2000 on cards and 3000 on almsgiving.
As christians we must not neccessarily go on food fasting, sometimes those habits that are crushing us as christians, let's fast on them, ao that after 40days just like christ we may overcome temptations.
Godbless us

5 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
samm_miey: no,its nt true,all sins r forgivn xcept against d holy spirit
ItsModella:
Not to my knowledge. All sins can be forgiven except speaking against the Holy Spirit...
Very true...just like the Bible said it.
I asked because it was asserted by a friend,who happens to be Catholic, that once u sin in this period,no mercy.

I have another question...When you are forgiven for committing a particular sin,do u go without being punished?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by supaeagles(m): 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
Shouldn't you be keeping your fast private instead of making it a public spectacle? The readings on Ash Wednesday Mass explicitly explains this.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by emmabest2000(m): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
may divine assistance remains always with us
may the souls of faithful that departed through the mercy of God rest in peace
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dextra:
Not true.
Remember, Sin shall have no dominion over you. It is possible to live a guilt-free life. Stop being conscious of sin, just live in love, see others from the eyes of God and do everything in love. Simple. Love is everything. Try walking in Love and you will not have problem with sin.
Thank u my sister,this is enlightening.
However,if i stop being conscious of sin,wouldn't that make me treat sin with levity?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by holyvirgin: 4:57pm On Feb 17, 2013
emma_best2000: may divine assistance remains always with us
The rest is not neccessary for now
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 4:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
Man! It isnt easy for me to fast o, but since I'm in school most times i try not to think of food, and I dont pray as much as I'd want to, God help me. We can also use this period to rejuvenate our faith life, be good to people and always think of what Jesus would want you to do before u take actions and let these actions spill into your life even after lent, that's d main purpose of lent. Dont forget confessions too!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
What is going on here?? What are y'all fasting for?? What religion is this fasting meant for?? Is this some sort of NL group fasting >> hella weird!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by wazobiaforu(m): 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2013

Can you plz support this fact with the holy Bible?

Always open to learn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

7 Ways To Practice Effective Evangelism / You Niggaz Are Crazy! / Christians And Muslims: Let's Study Prophet Mohammad's Biography By Ibn Ishaq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.