Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Website Review. Express Yourself - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Review. Express Yourself (1105 Views)

Website Review / www.9jatech.com - Website Review, Your Comments Will Be Appreciated / Requesting a Website Review: PresentDangerOnline.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Review. Express Yourself by cmon(m): 11:37am On Mar 13, 2008
Hi y'all

I'ld like you to help review this website: www.anthonyogheneokoloandco.com for any suggestions, observations or commendations.

Hope to get something from you.
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by a3cube: 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2008
Is that INTEGRATED THINKING or INETGRTAED THINKING or my eyes is seeing double?
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 2:53pm On Mar 13, 2008
wow! I could be wrong but this is probably the first table-less design I have seen posted for review here. If I am wrong, I stand corrected. Good job on that basis alone!

A few pointers:

1) Your menus all have an id of "topPageLinkContainer". An Id is always unique. Only classes can be shared. So give each menu item a unique id.

2) You could have pushed your CSS even further by making it more semantic. For example, your menu items a list (ul and li) as opposed to divs. There is something in the web dev world called "divitis" and "classitis", 2 highly contagious web dev diseases you don't want to get. Read up on those and avoid them in the future.

3) You should reset your visited links to orange (or whatever color you used). Right now, if I click on all links, they all change to gray. This also applies to other links on the site. Right now, there is no way of knowing what page I am on, based on the clicked links.

4) You have an empty "strong" tag in your Abuja section of contacts. Remove it. If it is dynamically generated, then enclose the tags with the conditional

5) On contact page, I would increase the bottom margin of the "send" button, cos in FF, it is touching the gray bottom bar.

6) I would add javascript validation on contact page so as to prevent a trip to the server b4 being told I didn't fill a field. Given the poor infrastructure in Nigeria, I am sure your users would appreciate that.

7) I would probably increase the font size from 11px to 12px. And maybe increae the line-height too for better visibility.

8 ) I would also probably make the logo clickable so that it takes the user back to the home page.

That's it for now. Once again, good job! I look forward to more table-less design on this forum
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 3:02pm On Mar 13, 2008
@poster
I checked the site and I must say you properly used the Object Oriented Concepts in that job. You got a free or paid template and u customised it and you got the the project done. Its a good thing and a bad thing to do if you dont know how to do it.
Ok I checked the source and found some tags you left there which had nothing to do with the site. My2cent may say I am Jealous but what Iam saying is when you take a template, use ur css skills to extend the template in OOP, I can say when u instantiate the template class from a professional designer, extend it to create your own class so that another person who takes that template and use on his site wont produce a site similar to yours. I hope other webmasters have learned a new trick to go about building good looking sites, with less effort. if you didnt get it read it now
SEARCH THE NET -> GET A TEMPLATE THAT SUITS YOUR NEEDS -> EXTEND THE TEMPLATE -> BUILD THE PAGES -> HOST THE SITE -> ENJOY
this way you will get professionally designed sites and no one will be able to prove if you used a template depending on how u do it :d
I hope it helps
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 3:51pm On Mar 13, 2008
CSS OOP? Hmm, I guess I have been out of the loop for a while.

Mambe: You mind explaining it to me? wink
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 4:03pm On Mar 13, 2008
Object Orientation is a concept my2cents,
and it states that u should not reinvent the wheel, you should encapsulate, you should inherit and you should get some polymorphism. The best part which is not applicable in the case above is an object should be the smallest distributable unit of any Object Oriented system.
Ok in my post above I say if we apply what Object Oriented design is preaching then we will get a template just like we get a library in java or namespace in C# or a helper in ruby on rails, then we check if it has all the features we want, if not we extend the template like we extend classes, then we now instantiate the inherited version of the template to build our own website then we host it.
so we apply "no re inventing the wheel", inheritance, and somehow polymorphism which all form Object Oriented design cheesy
hey its my way of thinking and I read it from no book. Hey I read the concepts from books but the way I am applying it here comes from no book, maybe I would write a book name " object oriented thinking" and how to apply it in web design, video editing, etc.
hope u like it
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 4:14pm On Mar 13, 2008
I look forward to buying the book cool

There's a slight problem though, and this might prevent me from buying the book - you are yet to address my question above, which is how it applies to CSS. In other words, can I instantiate a CSS object?

I am in no way saying I am right or you are right. For all I know, you could be correct. I am just not the gullible type. I need to be convinced.

Let's not make this a pissing contest please cool
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2008
My2cent do u understand what they call "class" in CSS or when I write this

<style, >
.churchill{
color:red
}
</style>

do u understand what churchill above stands for ??,
that is a class, correct me if am wrong but on the contrary its a pseudo class, and that class has reuse and instanstiation when u call it with a tag.
correct me if I am wrong, and I guess your question is now answered
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 4:33pm On Mar 13, 2008
Reuse, yes. instantiation, no. Class, no. Pseudo-class, yes. CSS OOP, no. There is no polymorphism in CSS for starters. CSS is not even a programming language for crying out loud. All CSS does is separate presentation from content.

Now, let's get back to the original purpose of this thread. cool
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 4:39pm On Mar 13, 2008
Hey My2cents, CSS is not a programming language but CSS works in an Object Oriented System, and such it has Object Oriented Concepts. Read my post and you will see that all I did was say if we apply Object Oriented Concepts. so to make it whole CSS is psuedo OOP but i has Object Oriented Concepts and if u go to www.w3schools.com or wherever you will be told CSS is psuedo Object Oriented programming
Game Over "P-Square" wink
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2008
Then I am confused cos right here, you said:
My2cent may say I am Jealous but what Iam saying is when you take a template, use your css skills to extend the template in OOP, I can say when u instantiate the template class from a professional designer, extend it to create your own class

This isn't a game to me man. I am not just the gullible type. Just cos W3schools or whoever says something doesn't mean I hv to swallow it hook, line and sinker. Just stopping here:
SEARCH THE NET -> GET A TEMPLATE THAT SUITS YOUR NEEDS -> EXTEND THE TEMPLATE -> BUILD THE PAGES -> HOST THE SITE -> ENJOY
, you would have gotten no word from me. But as it is, you are not that convincing. Sorry.
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by Afam(m): 5:31pm On Mar 13, 2008
my2cents:

This isn't a game to me man. I am not just the gullible type. Just because W3schools or whoever says something doesn't mean I hv to swallow it hook, line and sinker.

Exactly! W3schools said this Z4schools said that.
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 5:59pm On Mar 13, 2008
My2cents
the truth is you understand what I am trying to say, but the problem now is you just want to be a hero, ok buddy you are the boss, the hero, you happy now, you accept the concept but reject details, why do u say if I ended on the equation u wont argue, so you know I have some sense in it aight.
My message has gone accross and thats the main reason am on NL anyway, so if you want to keep arguing am out. many guys didnt know CSS was psuedo Object Oriented now they know.
and thats my 2 cents
piss out "like usher" or should I sing the Paul and Peter Song again "game over"
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by a3cube: 6:18pm On Mar 13, 2008
Guys, CSS is more than what you are saying. w3schools to me is like a JS3 class, preparing you for the senior class. CSS is more advanced than the one displayed on w3schools.Do you know you can write expressions in CSS? e.g

<style type="text/css">#my_page_sizer {width:expression(document.body.clientWidth > 650 ? "100%" : "100%" );}</style>

You need to see more of CSS @ work and stop this argument. What I know in life is this, If I know something and am sure of it, telling you about it is just a way of sharing it else I would keep it to myself and grow faster than U. And if U disagree with me, I don't see any reason to argue with you cause it doesn't make any difference in me. So please stop the w4school and z4church crap.
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2008
ok buddy you are the boss, the hero, you happy now
Point of Correction: I am just your humble servant who doesn't take anything anyone says just because they say so. I am a slow learner and so need convincing b4 accepting. In this case, the argument wasn't made clear, that's all.

ITBeings:
No argument there. I for one, never use w3schools. Mambe brought it up. He was trying to tell us that in CSS, you could do this:
main1 main = new main1()

and all I am saying is that he is wrong. Again, for the record, the one thing I will say is correct in his post is this:

Note: I agree with "extend the template" and not "extend the template class".
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by mambenanje(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2008
my2cent
you should be happy I shared my idea in the forum, and you should take it or leave it, I was doing so for a good purpose and not attracting the spotlight but I think your argument is just for the "spotlight". if so then its too bad. guys will now learn how to better use templates and who said we will instantiate a class in CSS, Well if you got it that wrong then I am sorry men u need to read it five times and get the philosophy in it. but if u read normally, you will still understand how to use templates and thats what I wanted to share
if u don't still get it, then u will never get it
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by my2cents(m): 6:42pm On Mar 13, 2008
All those who never knew they could "extend a template" say "ay" cool

Case closed.
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by buzzgonz(m): 12:27pm On Mar 14, 2008
Nice Website, but are you the owner of that site? undecided
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by hanen(f): 3:49pm On Mar 14, 2008
Really nice. I agree with my2cents on the use of divs and cc

@mambenanje,
i must confess i was stomped by your, um, explanation. CSS is actually quite a VERY simple concept. But when you start with all of THAT stuff, it just borders on unnecessary confusion. I've been using css for yonks and u confused me, imagining saying that to a beginner! We know you're probably good at the programming thing or whatever, or you read a really cool concept somewhere, but you know that saying: 'if it aint broke, dont fix it.' smiley No offence
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by cmon(m): 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2008
Hi y'all,
I've actually been away for some days now. When I came to check how far the review went, I saw 19 posts and I was glad, only to get in and see a long list of arguement. Well it's okay because I really learnt something from the CSS and OOP "war".

@ITBeings
That's actually the concept. For you to think of "integrated thinking" I guess you are on track. There's this article I read on spelling words. They actually said if the first and last characters of a word are left intact and you shuffle the characters in between them, your brain intepretes the actual word. Something like that. So I kind of know what I am doing.

@my2cents
I really strive to make my websites as table-less as possible. Thanks for that commendation.

I've ckecked through all your points and I agree with you in all the points but I don't think I'm going to make the fonts bigger. I think I prefer the way they are.

@mambe,
Every code on that template was developed by me. Though I have a few peeks at a template and wanted to develop something similar. Who no like better thingĀ  wink
As for extending the template, when I learn the OOP stuff, then we'll start talking about that.

@buzzgonz
I'm definitely not the owner of the site but of course, I developed it.

@hanen
I'll work on that. Thanks
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by powerblaze(m): 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2008
Sup yal! I'm a big fan of adobe flexbuilder2 and 3. I've been able to do great stuffs with it. Does anyone know where I can get pdf tutorials on it?
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by prodgalson: 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2008
cmon:

That's actually the concept. For you to think of "integrated thinking" I guess you are on track. There's this article I read on spelling words. They actually said if the first and last characters of a word are left intact and you shuffle the characters in between them, your brain intepretes the actual word. Something like that. So I kind of know what I am doing.
What crock, Sure it's a proven fact, but so what? It's like saying, people associate butterflies with happiness. Doesnt mean i am going to have butterflies on my business site, because people's perceptions will override the scientific fact. My point is that everyone's perception of your experiment will be that you are a horrible speller.

powerblaze:

Sup yal! I'm a big fan of adobe flexbuilder2 and 3. I've been able to do great stuffs with it. Does anyone know where I can get pdf tutorials on it?
I've posted them in the flex topic:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115507.0.html#msg2069186
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by Farriel(m): 11:30pm On Mar 18, 2008
@my2cents

http://www.lrips.org isn't a tabled layout. tongue
Re: Website Review. Express Yourself by cmon(m): 12:49pm On Mar 19, 2008
Sure it's a proven fact, but so what?
At least you know it's a proven fact so I expect anybody visiting the site to be knowledgeable enough.

My point is that everyone's perception of your experiment will be that you are a horrible speller.
If anybody thinks I'm a horrible speller, why not check the rest of the website for spelling errors.

If any other person supports you, then I'll start thinking of changing it. So start seeking support.

(1) (Reply)

Help / Pls Evaluate,here Is A Forum For Developers / Apart From Designing, Whats The Cost Putting A Website Up On The Internet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.