Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Afrinolly Short Film Competition - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Afrinolly Short Film Competition (4334 Views)

Afrinolly Short Film Competition : View Short Listed Films! / Nollywood's Director Launch $100,000 Short Film Competition For Africans / $10,000 Short Film Competition : Can You Brace Up To The 48 Hours Challenge! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
VillageBoi:

I'm glad you did. A very, very difficult section to select from because documentaries are nearly always intersting even if shot on a mobile phone. I'm still going to watch them all over again. I loved every single one you mentioned especially Wheels on the Bus & A Gateway Into Kano & Hustle on a Mile. I took Bless-In off the list immediately because, even though I think it is one of the best there they limited their 'audience' by it being in pidgin only with no subtitles - I have to find a rason to remove points nah - *sigh*.

It's gonna be hard reducing the remaining 9 to just one... why can't we just vote for everything? Lol. Honestly I can remove Black and Gold as well as Jagbe People now, now!

Can remove more but I really like them ALL! Bummer!!

Bless-In was really good and I liked that it was in pidgin. It was easy to eliminate the rest because the ones I selected I just couldn't ignore. You are right that the use of pidgin limited the reach of the message but maybe that's the point. Its a documentary for Nigerians. I hope the film maker takes the time to include subtitles later on.

Gateway Into Kano had very good content, editing and subtitling. So did Deadwood.

Hustle On A Mile and Wheels On The Bus were so real and heart touching.

I hate this!

Hold on, we can make this work grin between the 3 of us we can split our vote for the top 3 favourites, lol!
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
I think the top 3 are Gateway, Hustle & Wheels. I know it's a horrible task but I'm removing Deadwood from my list because it had too much narrative - they could have just made a narrative short film.
Bless-In had such an important & internationally valid story to tell and not one that is just peculiar to Nigerians - for that reason of it being limited, intentional by the filmmakers or not, it's staying off my list too... which is such a shame because it's an awesome documentary.

You have to bring out the 'brutal' in you since you can only vote for one. I dey half regret watching the 'docs' now because it's so hard to kill some off! But I am so proud because 7 of them are Nigerian!
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2013
VillageBoi:

Click here and it will ask you to log in with Google or Facebook - http://afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/vote
From there you have the choice to go to the 'Narrative' section or 'documentary' section - they wrote the narrative section as 'short films' even though the documentaries are 'short' films too.

Silly me, forgot to say... YES you can watch ALL of the films there.

EDIT: I'm already logged in, see if this Youtube link works for you - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq9tfrJ0nCGmrMmyJ66kvcR_b74RmOel3

Thanks so much....the youtube link works perfectly for me. Brb at night to watch 'em
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
Villageboi..why didn't you enter for the competition?
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
speedyboi: Villageboi..why didn't you enter for the competition?

I did. My film wasn't good enough for the judges. lol.

Glad the Youtube link works. 1-10 are the 'narrative films', 11-20 are the 'documentaries'.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by thorvicksmethod: 8:36am On Feb 18, 2013
This short film was 4 hours late for submission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIv_0eCsns
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 9:15am On Feb 18, 2013
That can't be true. It's not on the Afrinolly site.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 1:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ok, I'm voting for Unspoken and Hustle On A Mile. I can't keep thinking about this!
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 3:24pm On Feb 18, 2013
ijebabe: That can't be true. It's not on the Afrinolly site.

Did you mean me? I totally did the moment I heard about it - I even got a notification of submission email on the 7th of Nov from them.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 3:34pm On Feb 18, 2013
^Oh alright, I didn't think you were lying I was referring to the post by thorvicksmethod.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by thorvicksmethod: 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
@Ijebabe, the video could not be submitted because by the time it finally uploaded on youtube, the submit button on the Afrinolly site was gone. Maybe next time.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2013
@Ijebabe - Is there a link that shows what films are on the site? I can't seem to find jack there lol

@Thor - Shame you guys were late, next time. Good effort from your group; wish you had shown the 'perfume' as explained in the internet story that you guys made into a film.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:13pm On Feb 18, 2013
ijebabe: Ok, I'm voting for Unspoken and Hustle On A Mile. I can't keep thinking about this!

Very close to my choices, I went Enitan and Hustle on a Mile grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
thorvicksmethod: @Ijebabe, the video could not be submitted because by the time it finally uploaded on youtube, the submit button on the Afrinolly site was gone. Maybe next time.
Oh alright. I read the original story it was a very good read but I feel the director of The No Nonsense Wife didn't do justice to the story. I doubt I would have voted for it. Maybe if I didn't read the story first I would have.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
VillageBoi: @Ijebabe - Is there a link that shows what films are on the site? I can't seem to find jack there lol

@Thor - Shame you guys were late, next time. Good effort from your group; wish you had shown the 'perfume' as expained in the internet story that you guys made into a film.
I tried fndind it but I couldn't. Once you vote you no longer have access to the page! Its a good thing I'm following them on G+ and YouTube haha. Oh I also copied the titles of the films and documentary.

Dara Ju (Better)
USA
Video Number: 1
A young Nigerian-American desires a better life for himself and for his mother. But when a lie he tells leads to an unexpected reckoning, he's forced to confront a deeply personal truth.

Philia
South Africa
Video Number: 2
A strange love story set in France between a South African artist and a Congolese brought together by a lie.

Unspoken
United Kingdom
Video Number: 3
Two days before Lola's dream wedding, her maid of Honour Sandra stumbles on a secret that could change all of their lives forever.UNSPOKEN is a story of commitment to love and friendship in the face of societal taboos we dare not confront or speak of.

Enitan
Nigeria
Video Number: 4
A family is faced with the challenge of multi-directional transition from the familiar to uncharted territory. A young, career husband has lost his wife, left with a ten year old daughter whose performance in school suddenly creates new worries. Another woman is stepping in into the lives of father and daughter. Amid all these, Enitan, the challenged daughter is rapidly losing confidence in herself and steadily finding schooling a nightmare. The step mother steps in diagnoses dyslexia? Can she turn the situation around, would she succeed where many others have failed?

The Promise
USA
Video Number: 5
Kemi has been with Femi for five years now. She is tired of waiting, especially since the relationship does not seem to be going anywhere. She loves Femi, but she feels he is playing games. It's the New Year, and it is time for progress. She has to have progress in the relationship arena. She thinks she is going to get what she wants, but little does she know that Femi has different plans.

When Fishes Drown
Nigeria
Video Number: 6
A film on domestic violence against women

To serve with all our strength
Nigeria
Video Number: 7
Mrs. Haruna is a public servant with responsibility to issue call up letters to youth corpers. She is rumored to demand and collect bribes. When several graduates, who received their call up letters late and die in a late evening car accident whilst heading out of state to meet the camping dateline. Mrs. Haruna's conduct is called to question in a disciplinary proceeding that evaluates if her actions adhered to the service code of conduct or contributed in any way to the tragedy.

Dance with the Devil
South Africa
Video Number: 8
A Student Short Film, inspired by a hip hop track "A Dance with the Devil" by Immortal Technique is a portrayal of gang initiation, and violence in the heart of Johannesburg South Africa. This is a story about a boy who wants to be accepted as a man, with tragic proportions.

Jayson's Hope
South Africa
Video Number: 10
This is a Short Film about a dying young girl who finds friendship with a middle aged man who is struggling in his marriage and job, and her death helps him to re-unite with his family and find purpose in life again.

4-1-9
USA
Video Number: 9
Two British-Nigerian brothers-- older brother Ade and younger brother Segun-- are involved in an illegal family business. Ade is ending it while Segun wants to do just one more job.

Documentaries

Wheels on the Bus
Zimbabwe
Video Number: 11
Wheels on the Bus is a documentary about a bussing system from Zimbabwe.

Black and Gold
Ghana
Video Number: 12
Black and Gold' is a powerful story of two young entrepreneurs whose struggle to empower startup companies led them to the inception of locally-made beads that promotes empowerment in the minds of people all over the world.

Jagbe People
Nigeria
Video Number: 13
DOCUMENTARY ON JAGBE PEOPLE ORIGIN AND CULTURE

Artist Hustler
Nigeria
Video Number: 14
A documentary about a young local wood sculptor artist based in ibadan, Nigeria. The film explores his creative process, execution and how he sells his artworks.

Boli Culture
Nigeria
Video Number: 15
We went round Nigeria to find out the different ways people prepare and combine roasted plantain popularly called Boli.

A short "DOCUMENTARY"
Canada
Video Number: 16
A short "Documentary".... is a short film about being short.
Moby "Lil Mo" Dikeh and her friends tell us what it feels like to be Vertically Challenged.

The Deadwood
Nigeria
Video Number: 17

A Gateway Into Kano
Nigeria
Video Number: 18
This short documentary follows the story of a Kano monument as it undergoes over 200 years of renovations. As the monument changes, so too does the city. This story brings to light the reality of modernization in this African city. Some challenges have been overcome; some have led to failure. The real-life stories shared by these citizens push us to ask the hard questions regarding change, culture, and community.

Hustle On A Mile
Nigeria
Video Number: 19
Hustle on a Mile presents a foray into life at the popular Mile 12
Market, in Lagos. Through the eyes of Sanni, a young secondary school
leaver who picks soft tomatoes for sale, we experience the hustle and
bustle in the throbbing market.

Bless-In
Nigeria
Video Number: 20

grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
VillageBoi:

Very close to my choices, I went Enitan and Hustle on a Mile grin
I knew you would go for Enitan! grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
ijebabe:
I knew you would go for Enitan! grin

I had to. Ta for the earlier info; I guessed as much as I doubt there was ever 'public access' to the films uploaded. I've also got it in AMAA-2013. Got to start production on another short soon grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 4:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
Can't wait to watch it! Good luck.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Briareos(m): 10:21am On Feb 19, 2013
I've downloaded all the movies in both categories. Just waiting to buy a bucket load of popcorn so I can cross leg and enjoy the cinematic prowess of Africans. I've seen a couple of them tho (out of blantant impatience) and I know I'm up for some real delight.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 10:32am On Feb 19, 2013
Lol! Enjoy
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2013
Nice one Briareos, you'll have fun!
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Briareos(m): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2013
VillageBoi:
Nice one Briareos, you'll have fun!

Finanlly, you got my name right. angry grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 20, 2013
Finally watched 'em grin

My best narratives (not in any other);
1. Unspoken
2. Enitan
3. Dara ju

I love all the documentaries....I can't really choose best.

I don't think I will vote though....all the 'sign in using google account' etc.... are all freaking me out! I hate procedures...angry
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 20, 2013
VillageBoi:

I did. My film wasn't good enough.

Wasn't good enough, or was just not selected?

Btw, was there any eviction|screening stage before this? If there was, we should be allowed to watch all the submitted videos na!
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 11:32am On Feb 21, 2013
speedyboi:

Wasn't good enough, or was just not selected?

Btw, was there any eviction|screening stage before this? If there was, we should be allowed to watch all the submitted videos na!

Teehee.. not good enough according to the 'judges' lol. No there wasn't a screening stage or any way to see any of the 'other' films submitted.

True the documentary section is just superb. Oh I just found out today that a NairaLand 'member' made the doc Boli Culture - if he'd had mentioned it since I would have voted for him grin
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 3:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
speedyboi: Finally watched 'em grin

My best narratives (not in any other);
1. Unspoken
2. Enitan
3. Dara ju

I love all the documentaries....I can't really choose best.

I don't think I will vote though....all the 'sign in using google account' etc.... are all freaking me out! I hate procedures...angry
Old man, it's not complicated at all tongue

I see Unspoken tops ur list smiley
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 3:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
VillageBoi:

True the documentary section is just superb. Oh I just found out today that a NairaLand 'member' made the doc Boli Culture - if he'd had mentioned it since I would have voted for him grin
Really? That was a good one although he needs a better camera the next time. I dont think that picture quality was deliberate Villageboi.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by somadino: 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I must say that I enjoyed most of your comments here. I'm sorry I can't comment because I'm an involved party.
I would just use this medium to implore all those who have not voted (or who don't have a favourite) to vote for my documentary 'Boli Culture' one of the last 10. http://afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/vote.php
Kindly tell a friend to tell a friend to vote Boli Culture.
Now tell me "How do you eat Roasted Plantain?"

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2013
ijebabe:
Old man, it's not complicated at all tongue

I see Unspoken tops ur list smiley

Teehee... NairaLand Hustle grin You sabi say for quiz if persin no sabi the answa na to pick the middle one... so therforebility he will pick Enitan
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 4:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
ijebabe:
Really? That was a good one although he needs a better camera the next time. I dont think that picture quality was deliberate Villageboi.

Yes but for documentaries picture does not have to be of highest quality as even BBC, CNN dey use some bad quality 'doc' footage from some yeye looking 1784 fone kamelas, however, it is always nice to have great picture quality. Remember we practically liked all of the 'docs', naturally we have adapted/been tuned to accept any sort of image quality for 'docs' (you will hardly ever hear people complain about 'doc' imagery anywhere in the world)... but if a 'narrative' film has a bad quality image but a great story we reject those straight up.

I would have voted for him because na Nairaland support and I did learn different ways to eat Boli mmmm yum, yum... oh I also learn say make I avoid Calabar; it was so funny seeing they nyam boli with woof-woof. - That was perfectly honest doc-filmmaking.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2013
Hahahaha! 'boli with woof-woof'

I did learn from the documentary but the imagery bothered me a bit. I understand if its a war zone or clips taken at a live event but if ure taking the time to shoot abeg just do am wella. I watched a short (I think its one of the ones you'll be watching tonight shot with a phone and still looked good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ramsey Nouah And Emeka Enyiocha For Hollywood / Exceptional TV Series / Sites For Mobile Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.