Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,388 members, 7,954,566 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:31 PM

Afrinolly Short Film Competition - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Afrinolly Short Film Competition (4430 Views)

Afrinolly Short Film Competition : View Short Listed Films! / Nollywood's Director Launch $100,000 Short Film Competition For Africans / $10,000 Short Film Competition : Can You Brace Up To The 48 Hours Challenge! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by somadino: 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2013
ijebabe: Hahahaha! 'boli with woof-woof'

I did learn from the documentary but the imagery bothered me a bit. I understand if its a war zone or clips taken at a live event but if ure taking the time to shoot abeg just do am wella. I watched a short (I think its one of the ones you'll be watching tonight shot with a phone and still looked good.
Thanks for the feedback. I shot DSLR but uploaded Youtube SD I didn't use a fast lens though. Do you have anything specifically you are referring to in the picture quality?
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2013
Oh hi somadino!

Well, each time you moved to a new state, this map of Nigeria would come up followed by a scene (like a gate/border) of the city. Its like I was taken back to 70s! The shot looked like it was borrowed from some department of records, hahaha. Besides that, I enjoyed the documentary smiley
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 7:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
ijebabe: Hahahaha! 'boli with woof-woof'

I did learn from the documentary but the imagery bothered me a bit. I understand if its a war zone or clips taken at a live event but if ure taking the time to shoot abeg just do am wella. I watched a short (I think its one of the ones you'll be watching tonight shot with a phone and still looked good.

True that, there have been many amazing films shot on phones... even a 'cinema' release film. I might, over the weekend open up a fone-film compilation thread.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 7:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
somadino:
Thanks for the feedback. I shot DSLR but uploaded Youtube SD I didn't use a fast lens though. Do you have anything specifically you are referring to in the picture quality?

Trust me @ Somadino - A fast lens was the very least of your problems. I believe what Ijebabe is talking about is mainly overblown highlights which unfortunately on 4.2.0 8-bit DSLR footage can never be fixed. Look into getting yourself a variable ND as well as polarising filters. Additionally look at filming with 'custom' picture profiles instead of the Standard, Portrait, Landscape and others that are built in (you will have to colour correct and grade the end product though). Uploading it in SD shouldn't be a problem either. Practice a lot and learn the camera in & out; you have an amazing tool in your hands - Even I didn't think it was shot on DSLRs.

Watch this short clip in SD on Youtube (480p). I think most of it was shot at about f5.6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6_OMhnPY0
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by somadino: 12:30am On Feb 22, 2013
ijebabe: Well, each time you moved to a new state, this map of Nigeria would come up followed by a scene (like a gate/border) of the city. Its like I was taken back to 70s!
After d map. The Calabar shots were done with a mobile phone (infact that's why I chose to move the pictures) the quality was bad. And I shot the others from a moving vehicle so shake and d jelly effect of the DSLR took effect.

VillageBoi:
I believe what Ijebabe is talking about is mainly overblown highlights which unfortunately on 4.2.0 8-bit DSLR footage can never be fixed. Look into getting yourself a variable ND as well as polarising filters. Additionally look at filming with 'custom' picture profiles instead of the Standard, Portrait, Landscape and others that are built in (you will have to colour correct and grade the end product though). Uploading it in SD shouldn't be a problem either. Practice a lot and learn the camera in & out; you have an amazing tool in your hands
I've got variable ND filters but I must confess I did not use them cos I shot run and gun mostly.
NOTE THIS the settings used that gives you a fine picture aboard if used in Naija na another thing e go give you. Our atmosphere is not the same. I've seen the beauty of shooting custom, "shooting flat", and crushing blacks in post. In Nigeria your picture won't be fine. I've downloaded settings and loaded on my camera. Colour corrected still e no fine. Villageboi have you shot in Nigeria? Oyibo atmosphere and our own no be d same. I might have just started a new argument but its true. Again, I'm guilty it was blown out in a few places, wish I had paid attention, wish I used an EVF. Thanks for the feedback sha... Cool stuff
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by somadino: 12:45am On Feb 22, 2013
Before I talk leave wetin I suppose do. Pls get your friends, tweeps, fwends and so on who haven't voted yet to vote 'Boli Culture'. I have high regard for your opinion and have followed a few of you over the years. Your support is needed. *I've tried to email o*

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 5:08am On Feb 22, 2013
somadino:
I've got variable ND filters but I must confess I did not use them cos I shot run and gun mostly.
NOTE THIS the settings used that gives you a fine picture aboard if used in Naija na another thing e go give you. Our atmosphere is not the same. I've seen the beauty of shooting custom, "shooting flat", and crushing blacks in post. In Nigeria your picture won't be fine. I've downloaded settings and loaded on my camera. Colour corrected still e no fine. Villageboi have you shot in Nigeria? Oyibo atmosphere and our own no be d same. I might have just started a new argument but its true. Again, I'm guilty it was blown out in a few places, wish I had paid attention, wish I used an EVF. Thanks for the feedback sha... Cool stuff

Ah, that is one of the 'issues' - not utilising the 'tools' you have at your disposal; variable NDs/polarisers are practically a must. I have shot in Naija and so many others do shoot there with the very same DSLR cameras with very beautiful results. A very large number of the 'new-look' feature films are shot on DSLRs as are a vast number of 'music videos' so smoggy/dusty 'atmosphere' alone cannot be the problem as it does exist almost everywhere.

Please do not take this as me knocking your film, as said before, despite the 'look' I think it was very good as a documentary. DSLRs, as you are very aware, first and foremost, are 'stills' cameras. Ba.ng-for-buck, their 'filmic' image quality in relation to their cost makes them practically the 'best' camaras around today, however, we both know they are a pain-in-the-a$$ to shoot video with and it takes a lot of work to get the best quality images out of them. There is always a work-around to any potential problem when it comes to filming with any sort of camera. Test, test and test - there is no 'one setting' to get 'fine' pictures the world over.

Again I totally appreciated your effort, keep up the good work, keep on learning. We live in a great age of democratised filmmaking and the only way, for Naija & Nigerian filmmakers, is forward... lack of 'tools' is no longer an issue.

EDIT: - This is an interesting video quite relevant to our conversation and it was shot on same DSLRs and in countries with the same 'atmosphere' issues - https://vimeo.com/57391237

UPDATED with a Youtube link -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG04Jnf2WmU
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 11:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
Winners

Short Films

1st Place
Dara Ju
$25,000
By Anthony Onah

2nd Place
The Promise
$10,000
By Akin Okunrinboye

3rd Place
To serve with all our Strength
$5,000
By Ishaya Bako (HomeVida)

Documentaries

1st Place
Hustle On A Mile
$25,000
By Bemigho Awala

2nd Place
A short "DOCUMENTARY"
$10,000
By Soji Oyinsan II

3rd Place
Black and Gold
$5,000
By Joseph Akwasi
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 11:15pm On Mar 25, 2013
Photos from Afrinolly Short Film Competition Award Presentation Ceremony at The Federal Palace Hotel on Friday 22nd March

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 11:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dara Ju
Hustle On A Mile
Black & Gold
To Serve With All Our Strength

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by ijebabe: 11:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
The Promise
A 'Short' Documentary

Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 12:20am On May 07, 2013
Speedyboi: I just watched a Bollywood film titled 'Like stars on Earth'(English version). My God, that movie is a masterpiece. Funny I can't remember the last time i watched a hindi movie (Too much love stories, singing etc), the movie brought back my love for bollywood. I could relate to it, cos i experienced something related when i was younger. That movie is my best ever! The scriptwriter did an excellent job, i was unable to fault any technical shii, cos of the engaging story. That film is touching cry cry cry cry cry cry cry. I never know Bollywood done revolutionize too shocked

p.s: Few minutes into the film, i couldnt help but conclude: 'Enitan' was stolen from this clip lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 12:44am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi: I just watched a Bollywood film titled 'Like stars on Earth'(English version). My God, that movie is a masterpiece. I never know Bollywood done revolutionize too shocked
p.s: Few minutes into the film, i couldnt help but conclude: 'Enitan' was stolen from this clip lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If that's the case then that's sad. (And I voted for them).

You no see this thread with a direct taken idea even after some guy uncovered proof the 'filmmaker' dey claim him no know (so what do you think? Is it an honest mistake? Or?)- https://www.nairaland.com/1272875/commercial-shot-interswitch
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 12, 2013
@Villageboy
i watched the short movies via their youtube page ( http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq9tfrJ0nCGmrMmyJ66kvcR_b74RmOel3 ) but sadly there are 2 missing (Enitan and 419).

as for the short movies that are there, TO SERVE was my second favorite, UNSPOKEN and DARA JU would have been tied third........ and i thought DANCE WITH THE DEVIL and JAYSON'S HOPE (SA) had no business being nominated. the issue i had with THE PROMISE (which was well shot i thought) was the way they switched between the story and phone convo sounded so off and "amateurish" (during the father's call). my top spot was without a doubt PHILIA (even though the sound was not "great" towards the end but the rest made up for it).

in all, i am very surprised to see that some Nigerian people out there are shooting some great short flicks, i just wonder why we never get to see such type of work in the gazillion Nollywood movies that get released every yr.
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by VillageBoi(m): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
MRbrownJAY: @Villageboy
In all, i am very surprised to see that some Nigerian people out there are shooting some great short flicks, i just wonder why we never get to see such type of work in the gazillion Nollywood movies that get released every yr.

I'm glad you've seen the films still on Youtbe.

The question is not that easy. But it costs so much more to in funds and time to make a 'feature' film... costs for cast, for crew, locations, post production is harder as there is so much more data to wrangle, many more things and we have not even started on the 'marketing' budget.

Having said that, good things are happeneing on the Nollywood feature side and things will only get better.

I think you will find these two threads to be interesting also -

Do Nigerians Really Know Good Movies - https://www.nairaland.com/1148216/nigerians-really-know-good-movies

HOAYS Confirmed To Be Nollywood's Most Expensive Movie - https://www.nairaland.com/1281804/half-yellow-sun-confirmed-nollywood
Re: Afrinolly Short Film Competition by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
it took me some time but i finally watched THE FIGURINE and i was really impressed by the quality of this movie.......it is definitely a step away from the Nollywood style garbage productions that are being released all over. yeah the ending was a little "weak" (and i could have thought of many more entertaining ending for that movie) but nevertheless i give it a sound 7. i will try to watch PHONE SWAP as the trailer looks good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinsel (TV Series) Download / YOLO Ghana TV Series / Megan Fox Hottest S3xiest Photo Images Pics Hollywoodgossip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.