Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition (25031 Views)

I Dropped My Presidential Ambition For Buhari — Saraki / I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu / Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi Meet USA Secretary Of States, Kerry (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Kennyblues(m): 4:08am On Feb 16, 2013
Former Head of State and Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) presidential candidate in the 2011 general elections, General Muhammadu Buhari and the national leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Senator Bola Tinubu, have dropped their ambition to contest for the nation’s number one job on the platform of the newly formed opposition mega party, All Progressive Congress (APC).

Saturday Sun gathered from close associates of the two opposition leaders that barring last minute change of mind, the duo will not contest the next presidential election as already being rumoured, in order to prove that the recent merger is beyond their individual political ambitions.

In place of their personal ambitions, they are now to work with other leaders of the opposition party to present younger and credible presidential candidate that can match and defeat whoever is going to emerge on the platform of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2015 contest.

A very close associate of Tinubu, who had earlier shown signs of contesting the next election either as a presidential or vice presidential candidate, told Saturday Sun that the former Lagos State governor earlier in the week offered to sacrifice his personal ambition and promised to also work with others to persuade Buhari to do same, if he is still nursing any such ambition.

“The good news is that Asiwaju Tinubu has made a commitment to his inner circle caucus not to contest for the presidency in 2015. In that same direction, a team has been set up to work on Gen. Buhari to also drop his own ambition if there is still any. The essence of this is to prove that the whole idea of merger by the opposition parties transcends the personal ambition of the two main leaders.

It is a move informed by national interest, to end PDP misrule, provide Nigerians with a better alternative and also encourage others to join the new party,” the source added. Also speaking in the same vein, a top chieftain of CPC and Buhari’s ally said the former Head of State does not need to be put under any pressure before he knows the honourable thing to do in the present circumstance.

According to him, “Buhari is not going to contest again. The idea of pressures being put on him to drop his presidential ambition is being spread by PDP and its agents who are desperate to create an impression that the General is recalcitrant and over-ambitious. He has certainly dropped his ambition in the interest of the merger arrangement, so that it can work and create an open space for the emergence younger and acceptable candidates.”

When asked about the development, National Publicity Secretary of ACN and Tinubu’s close associate, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, neither deny nor confirm that the duo had dropped their ambition but stressed that the issue of ambition is not part of the focus of the new party at the moment. According to him, “the two leaders and indeed, other leaders of APC are more interested in ensuring the emergence of a strong and virile party that can rescue the nation from the grip of the PDP. So, the talk of Buhari or Tinubu’s ambition is far from our focus now. It’s a discussion coming up to distract us or possibly cause disaffection among us.”

He added that the issue of who runs for what post will come up when the time for elections comes, adding: “The party machinery will then democratically determine who runs for what post but most certainly, now is not the time for all that. “This is the time we are all busy to ward off all evil machinations of the PDP, which is trying to scuttle the smooth take-off and running of the APC.”

Tinubu had, after a peace meeting called to reconcile the CPC leader, General Buhari and a faction of the party led by Senator Rufai Hanga on Monday in Abuja, said every leader of the newly formed party must be ready to make sacrifices and accommodate others. According to him: “The meeting was a very good one, sweet. We met in the interest of our various objectives.

To me, I am working in the interest of Nigeria and APC. I am a committed individual; we are in a committed group, surrounded by people of vision and great commitment. It will succeed; our rivals do everything to scuttle us. But as committed people, we are ready to make sacrifices. Leadership is about carrying people along and resolving conflicts with the right people that are motivated to do those things that are necessary for the progress of a nation. These are the things that we have achieved here today at this meeting.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/2015-buhari-tinubu-drop-presidential-ambition/

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by economia: 4:51am On Feb 16, 2013
what will be will surely be

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by FXKing2012(m): 6:08am On Feb 16, 2013
I'm sure we've not heard the last of this

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by quest003: 7:01am On Feb 16, 2013
tinubu is one hell intllgnt man, he neva had any ambition for the elective office before, its all dissuade buhari from cotesting. The only thing that wil make d meger work is if only buhari wldnt be contesting as they all are scared of what might become of him if elected since they all have skeleton in their cupboard, it wil be foolish of the crooks to endorse buharis candidacy for the top job, I mean very foolish. sai buhari!!

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by ba7man(m): 7:04am On Feb 16, 2013
Positive development. Let's see the candidates they'll field when its time.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by miiraaj: 7:19am On Feb 16, 2013
If not Buhari, who can flush corruption out of Nigeria's system?

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 16, 2013
What is buhari? Sounds like garri

5 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by seunfly: 7:33am On Feb 16, 2013
I just pray they present credible candidate that will Nigerians off their feets.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by takedat(m): 7:36am On Feb 16, 2013
miiraaj: If not Buhari, who can flush corruption out of Nigeria's system?
"If" Buhari drops dead today, does it mean we've lost all hopes of tackling corruption? No! This move is for the greater good of the party, if after dotting the I's and crossing the t's they finally decide he is the right man for the job, so be it! For now individual ambitions should be relegated!

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by fkaz(m): 7:47am On Feb 16, 2013

No i disagree, buhari can still be in the system and he will play a vital role without being the president.
Just like how Bode George, Tony Aninie and co. Are playing vital role in the transformation of jona administration.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by OurYansh: 8:01am On Feb 16, 2013
Nice development if true!!

The idea of getting younger, vibrant, intelligent and credible candidates sounds right!

We'll thus be expecting the likes of Fashola, Rochas, Oshiomole, Sanusi, Sule Lamido etc. For now however, the focus should be to ensure that the party is‎​ successfully floated.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Elueme: 8:57am On Feb 16, 2013
This Will be good for these thieves. It will help the perception of APC , however, the last hasn't been heard of this, certainly not.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by EkoAtlantic1(f): 9:38am On Feb 16, 2013
Our Yansh: Nice development if true!!

The idea of getting younger, vibrant, intelligent and credible candidates sounds right!

We'll thus be expecting the likes of Fashola, Rochas, Oshiomole, Sanusi, Sule Lamido etc. For now however, the focus should be to ensure that the party is‎​ successfully floated.

Remove that tribalist from there, he ain't worthy of been called a credible person

7 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by caesaraba(m): 9:39am On Feb 16, 2013
fkaz:

No i disagree, buhari can still be in the system and he will play a vital role without being the president.
Just like how Bode George, Tony Aninie and co. Are playing vital role in the transformation of jona administration.

Hahaha, nice sense of humor. I don die with laugh finish grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Soso990240(m): 9:39am On Feb 16, 2013
ur ancestors will.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by free2ryhme: 9:40am On Feb 16, 2013
we are watching ...

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by reindeer: 9:41am On Feb 16, 2013
I hope Buhari becomes the new head of a freehanded EFCC when they win...
OBJ,IBB,GEJ go run commot nija same day!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by free2ryhme: 9:41am On Feb 16, 2013
It makes no difference wether Malam Tinubu or Boko Haram Commandant, Mr. Buhari drop their ambition to contest the presidency under APC or Armoured Personnel Carrier. The fact remains that Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) is a moslem islamist party. If you doubt me check out the big wigs of the party: Shetima Kashim, Abdul Aziz, Religious bigot El-Rufai, Boko Haram General Buhari, Ibrahim Gaidan, Tinubu, Boko haram wannabe, Aregbesola, Gov. Yari (Zamfara), Yerima, Umar Tanko, Alhaji Fashola (I never knew he was a moslem), Gov. Amosun, etc. These are all moslems who want to turn Nigeria into islamic country.

22 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by victorD3: 9:44am On Feb 16, 2013
Why are they running? Let them come and fight Jona

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by funshybam(m): 9:45am On Feb 16, 2013
I till find it difficult to trust Gen. BuGARI , i think he must be desperate by now...and Tinubu, ..A SURE ECONOMIC WASTER
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by dridowu: 9:47am On Feb 16, 2013
So happy because my dream to rule ds nation will soon come to pass. DY ARE ALL (PDP,ACN,CPC,APC,APGA,LP) AFRAID OF ME
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Soso990240(m): 9:47am On Feb 16, 2013
Tinubu and Bu.gari ar not interested in getin ride of corruption..they jst want 2 take power from PDP..Tinubu must contest for presidency in d nearest future,if APC eventually takes over.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by simmydebadest(m): 9:47am On Feb 16, 2013
Yes!!! Come 2015 OMG....PDP will hear___ grin grin grin

#TeamApc

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by lat4real: 9:47am On Feb 16, 2013
I dey laugh ooo
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by ritux: 9:50am On Feb 16, 2013
APC are a bunch of people pursuing their personal interest and not national interest.

I hope those of una when sabi call Buihari name f☺r 2015 go shut up now.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Desdola(m): 9:50am On Feb 16, 2013
Political propaganda and speech. By 2014 these men might revoke their speech and still want to contest. Our arms are crossed and our eyes watching
Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by takedat(m): 9:52am On Feb 16, 2013
free2ryhme: It makes no difference wether Malam Tinubu or Boko Haram Commandant, Mr. Buhari drop their ambition to contest the presidency under APC or Armoured Personnel Carrier. The fact remains that Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) is a moslem islamist party. If you doubt me check out the big wigs of the party: Shetima Kashim, Abdul Aziz, Religious bigot El-Rufai, Boko Haram General Buhari, Ibrahim Gaidan, Tinubu, Boko haram wannabe, Aregbesola, Gov. Yari (Zamfara), Yerima, Umar Tanko, Alhaji Fashola (I never knew he was a moslem), Gov. Amosun, etc. These are all moslems who want to turn Nigeria into islamic country.
Schizophrenia is not a life sentence! But it will be, if you fail to visit a psychiatric home nearest to you!

36 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Ejine(m): 9:53am On Feb 16, 2013
I guess the old fart finally came to terms with the fact that he'll forever be Jonathan's biiitchh as far as elections go grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by oddy4real(m): 9:55am On Feb 16, 2013
And how does that stop GEJ from ruling till 2019 ?

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by free2ryhme: 9:57am On Feb 16, 2013
take dat: Schizophrenia is not a life sentence! But it will be, if you fail to visit a psychiatric home nearest to you!

my broda no vex ooo ... i dont no say u get family for yaba left grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by psalmizt(m): 9:58am On Feb 16, 2013
free2ryhme: It makes no difference wether Malam Tinubu or Boko Haram Commandant, Mr. Buhari drop their ambition to contest the presidency under APC or Armoured Personnel Carrier. The fact remains that Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) is a moslem islamist party. If you doubt me check out the big wigs of the party: Shetima Kashim, Abdul Aziz, Religious bigot El-Rufai, Boko Haram General Buhari, Ibrahim Gaidan, Tinubu, Boko haram wannabe, Aregbesola, Gov. Yari (Zamfara), Yerima, Umar Tanko, Alhaji Fashola (I never knew he was a moslem), Gov. Amosun, etc. These are all moslems who want to turn Nigeria into islamic country.

Oh Puleeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss, it is your type that will keep us in this vicious cycle called poverty; neva growing to attain our God given height. So in your books, Moslems can't make good leaders right? Then mention the one christian that you expect to deliver you. Nonsense, Leadership isn't in your religion, a good person is good regardless of his religion while a bad person will always remain so. And for your info, Tinubu's wife is a christian, so is Fashola, and I think Amosun... So go take a cool shower as it seems you are obviously hyperventilating... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

25 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu Drop Presidential Ambition by Gojebor: 9:59am On Feb 16, 2013
Nigeria cant survive bin together by 2015:::i see disintegration....cos d so called APC wil start zoning again.....apc wil b worst dan pdp!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Discovers Another N3.2tr Abacha Loot / Lagos Assembly Speaker Visits Woman Whose Husband Flee Over 3rd Time Twins (Pic) / Why fake certificate holders get ministerial appointments- ex-DSS Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.