Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

These Weird Ideas Made Millions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / These Weird Ideas Made Millions (14658 Views)

Nairalanders Business Ideas Made Me A Shop Owner / How I Made Millions Within Months - A True Story / Business Ideas Made Simple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Weird Ideas Made Millions by molisk(f): 10:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Some inventions change our way of life; some sophisticate it and some are meant to be amusing. Following examples are self-evident that ideas, no matter how simple or weird they might seem, can be converted into a huge business success.

1. The singing fish

Imagine how would you feel if a fish suddenly greets you with “Hello” while passing it by? Would it be surprising or annoying? Today, after several years, it might not sound so surprising or interesting since the toys of this sort have become so common among kids. However, in the late 1990s and by the start of 2000, the idea earned millions.

In the late 1990s, a toy company in Texas created The Singing Fish. By the appearance, the singing fish seems to be a normal fishing trophy – a bass mounted onto a wooden tablet that was then fixed to the wall. It has a button and on pushing the button, a motion sensor activates the fish to turn its head and tail and speaks out the recording sentences “Hello” “Take Me to the River” or “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”. By the very beginning of 2000, the singing fish became a massive success and a popular gift. People would take it to surprise their family members and even place it at their workplace to make fun with the co-workers.

2. Pet Rock

Dahl, while having a conversation with his friends about their pets in bar, the idea of a “pet: a rock” emerged as a joke. A rock as a pet that would not require to be walked, bathed, or fed. Later, he took it seriously and worked to implement the idea. He also prepared a manual with set of instruction about how to handle their pet rock and he made the manual a complete fun.

He made cardboard box with straw inside as pet’s place and six holes for proper breathing of the pets inside. He treated his pet rock as if it is alive. Dahl’s weird idea made him millionaire within six months. After December 1975, its sales decreased. In 2009, Martin Abrams of the Mego Corporation bought the rights to the Pet Rock. Now it is rarely found on eBay.

3. Tamagotchi

The Tamagotchi is a digital pet that was designed and created by Akihiro Yokoi of WiZ and Aki Maita of Bandai in Japan. Tamagotchis are placed in a small egg-shaped computer with an interface and it has three buttons that may vary. The Tamagotchi name is a blend of the Japanese words for “egg” and the English word “watch.”

It was the next biggest hit and hottest toy that took entry after Furby in late 1990s. By the year of 2010, it was already sold a well over 76 million units across the globe. Today, Tamagotchis are not sold in large number as it used to be; however, elementary school kids still like to play with it. The creators of Tamagotchi made millions almost instantly.

4. The Snuggie

The idea of Snuggie was only for fashioning a blanket into a robe, which was obviously ridiculous in listening but in matter-of-fact became a huge business success and earned millions. Millions of people could not resist them from having the Snuggie in the cold December night.

Think about the pleasant winter evening when you want to spend some time reading your favorite book in sofa or on bed, you have taken blanket but you have to take out your hand out of it and might not want that, so here is Snuggie to help you out. Wear it and feel free to move as you wish.
Between 2008 and 2009, more than 20 million Americans bought it.

5.Doggles

Doggles dot com first initiated the fashion for pets and started manufacturing goggles for dogs. With the increasing demand, it expanded its product list to pet backpacks, jackets , t-shirts, caps and pet toys and many more. It received huge attention when it coverage in Regis and Kelly, CNN, People, Women’s World, National Geographic and Animal Planet. And ultimately it became million dollar company.

Source: http://www.successstories.co.in/weird-ideas-that-made-millions/

2 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by naijacutee(f): 5:28pm On Feb 17, 2013
This is why America is called God's own country. It encourages all sorts of startups - even silly ones.

9 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Mcleo007(m): 10:02pm On Feb 17, 2013
Same can't be said of a country like ours. Some or even all these ideas would have been dead upon conception alone. The mere thought of them and the baseless underlines of the society alone is a dream killer. Little wonder Nollywood movies are never creative nor explorative. Such a shame!

4 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Temismith(f): 3:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
Comment to third
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Diidi(f): 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
MitchewwwWw
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 18, 2013
Okay
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by uzeba(m): 3:57pm On Feb 18, 2013
#Booked#

space for sale!!
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by braxjay(m): 3:58pm On Feb 18, 2013
6th to comment. No be God grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by yuzedo: 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2013
5. Create a website and fan the embers of tribalism, then start charging people for adverts.

Please don't ban me o! It is a suggestion not an observation. Hope it helps, cheers! kiss

3 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by texazzpete(m): 4:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Mcleo007: Same can't be said of a country like ours. Some or even all these ideas would have been dead upon conception alone. The mere thought of them and the baseless underlines of the society alone is a dream killer. Little wonder Nollywood movies are never creative nor explorative. Such a shame!

How will it do well in Nigeria when the first reaction we get from Nigerians is "How does it affect the price of garri in the market?"

Many Nigerians lack imagination.

3 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by delors(m): 4:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Nonsense... sad sad sad sad sad
This is what I call 'IDEAS THAT MAKE MILLIONS'
Packaged GARRI, GROUNDNUT AND SUGAR! exported to France and Sweden...u wan try? cool cool cool cool

29 Likes

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by jendoslim(m): 4:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
i also dey seventh co comment if not garriology go increase sharp sharp
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by MMM2(m): 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
Condom undecided
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
it always gives me a great deal of inspiration reading these stories knowing that regular people can make it through weird ideas smiley
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2013
Watching...
Looked left & right, front & back, picked an agege bread & blue band butter from Aboki's kiosk & walked away to a nearby mango tree... More to follow...

1 Like

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by purpinkx(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thought i Saw doggie grin
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by FoxyRebirth(m): 4:18pm On Feb 18, 2013
delors: Nonsense... sad sad sad sad sad
Packaged GARRI, GROUNDNUT AND SUGAR! exported to France and Sweden...u wan try? cool cool cool cool

Some people are just plain WEIRDOS grin grin grin
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Scarpon(m): 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2013
can those articles make money in Nigeria??
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by ELgordo(m): 4:26pm On Feb 18, 2013
Yawn! None of these could work hurrr! Boring! Next!
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
Scarpon: can those articles make money in Nigeria??
i think so ...but i am not sure sha, lemme go there and confirm
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by mrkels(m): 4:28pm On Feb 18, 2013
You forgot to add the beer opener that talked after opening a beer. That made millions of dollars i tell you .

1 Like

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
That of PET ROCK is hard to imagine. I think its more like preying on the buyers feelings and sense of justice. By that I mean there are people who yearn to satisfy their humane side by caring for animals but are rather turned off once they'r an inch closer to them(call it animal allergy). Caring for an imaginery pet(rock) satisfies their yearning and gives them sense of accomplished social reponsibilities towards these supposedly animals.
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 18, 2013
In naija, such ideas woold be discouraged!
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by jamp: 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2013

Bros u ve made my day. But u for include water to complete d snack

1 Like

Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by Abujafood: 4:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Crazy Ideas that made millions for some Nigerians!

1. Shit Business

Ask DMT mobile toilets

2. Agbero Services

Ask the chairman controlling one of those Areas in Lagos.

I know of these two.
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by jobaskia(m): 4:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Rigorous thinking is the key.
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by favcom(m): 4:54pm On Feb 18, 2013

Why didn't this work?
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by jobaskia(m): 4:55pm On Feb 18, 2013
When penicilin was invented the inventor has to bruise his body for people to believe that it truly works , until it was accepted
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by sylve11: 4:58pm On Feb 18, 2013

grin grin grin cool
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by molisk(f): 5:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
I'm a bit surprised to see this thread in the section where it belonged.

Thank you admin cheesy
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by molisk(f): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
I'm a bit surprised to see this thread in the section where it belonged.
Thank you admin cheesy
Re: These Weird Ideas Made Millions by obi123: 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2013

you go fear creativity now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have scammers run down Google Trader Nigeria? / Indomie, Maggi, Others Emerge Most Chosen Brands In Nigeria / Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.