Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea (29807 Views)

12 Nigerians, Ghanaians Thrown Into Sea ‘for Being Christian’ / 8 Characteristics Of A Virtuous Woman... / Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by lukecent: 12:31pm On Feb 17, 2013
Nuzo':
Do folks float on the sea without any swimming aide?

Cos aside from that, I've seen loads of wonderful senery in my state....including a lake that heals people.
Yes, nothing sinks in the sea. Knew abt it 4rm a fwend dat hv bin there.
Plz, where is d lake dat heals located?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by okwutency(m): 12:36pm On Feb 17, 2013
Regiblinkz: Should I jump or kneel cuz of this
you can't just appreciate good thing. That's why it may not get to you. Thank God for such a wonderful and marvellous thing He created.

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by a1solution: 12:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
Nature av so many things that the little minds are yet explore. As for me I thank the universe to for removing the veile in my eyes.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Donmichaelz(m): 12:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
:/ i hate river's...d name itself is deadly now u are adding Dead to it...
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Fiawest(m): 12:45pm On Feb 17, 2013
no need for either,...
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Fiawest(m): 12:45pm On Feb 17, 2013
no need for either,Ur comment even gave me more reason to praise God.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by alphaconde(m): 12:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
Now u say the sea is of great wonders and u priase God for it but then they name d same sea terribly after devil and other teRrible names.y?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Nuzo1(m): 12:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
lukecent:
Yes, nothing sinks in the sea. Knew abt it 4rm a fwend dat hv bin there.
Plz, where is d lake dat heals located?

Do you have leprosy? grin

On a serious note, Its a salt lake located in Afikpo/edda of Ebonyi state. The locals use the water to cook and heal illnesses.

Its not sold even though the salt is in commercial quantity.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by AkinDavid2: 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2013
The handwriting is clear that there is a God yet some people choose not to believe...@op thanks.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by vanstanzy(m): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2013
alpha conde: Now u say the sea is of great wonders and u priase God for it but then they name d same sea terribly after devil and other teRrible names.y?

JAMB question. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by oboy3(m): 12:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
Folks am a christian but lets be logical here there's nothing spiritual about the sea,its pure science
objects tends to float in water bodies with high salinity
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Olamyyde(m): 12:56pm On Feb 17, 2013
mtchewww: I don't get it...
What kind of force or element is in the dead sea that enables one not to drown while "sitting" on it? undecided
Actually the force is called 'buoyancy or upthrust'
Try an experiment at home, bring an unboiled egg, put it into salt water, it floats, put it in ordinary water, it doesn't. Same reason why humans can't drown in d dead sea- it's high salt content

3 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by nikkyshyne(f): 12:57pm On Feb 17, 2013
Didn't know the dead sea would be this beautiful.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by chreldb(m): 12:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
What kind of force or element is in the dead sea that enables one not to drown while "sitting" on it? undecided

Answer: The salt content in the sea makes the water a lot more dense than ordinary water. As a result of this, the water is heavier than you. And since you are lighter (less dense) than the water, the water pushes you up for you to float.

6 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by drnoel: 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
u 4got to mention one can't sink down when in the dead sea..
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Psylas(m): 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
hafsatbaby: Allahu Akbar ##Allah is Great,The creator of the heaven and earth..
sorri, Allah is NOT Great

4 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Tinyemeka(m): 1:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
Read up Archaea bacteria and you'll understand that life-forms can exist almost anywhere. Even around deep under-sea volcanoes.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110927112546.htm

The dead sea is not entirely devoid of life.

As for the floating stuff, it's simple physics. The high saline and mineral content has so elavated the relative density of the 'water' that it can then support greater weight that ordinary water can't. Flotation Law.

Don't want to talk too much. undecided
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Codedboy95(m): 1:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dix iz really Wonderful
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Dejideta: 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2013

No, go and hug the nearest transformer.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Psylas(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2013
Does plane fly over the sea
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by anitank(f): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
Because of the high amount of salt content in it
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Dejideta: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2013
Agrika: So?

go hang yourself
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Codedboy95(m): 1:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
Psylas: Does plane fly over the sea
u fit go there g0 day wait 4 plane na..

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Tinyemeka(m): 1:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
P.S All these Alleluyah shouts are begining to sound like hypocritical blasphemy.

There are better ways to praise God's doings. Ps 139:6, 14 is one.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Damilorlah(m): 1:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
The forces present aren't natural nor physical. IT'S SUPERNATURAL FORCES!
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Karismatik(f): 1:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
hafsatbaby: Allahu Akbar ##Allah is Great,The creator of the heaven and earth..
what is allah doing on dis post? dis is supposed to be a thread 4 xtians. at least reference was made 2 d Holy Bible not qoran.
we dont want any trouble here o.
LET SOMEBODY SHOUT HALLELUJAH!!!

3 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 17, 2013
God is the author of science and the epitome of good and wonderous things. His worksa nd actions can never be fathomed by mortals. I think only the angels can try a little bit dats if they could o

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Chiopatra: 1:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
Winneygirl: I read somewhere that the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee are both supplied by River Jordan.

Yet there's so much difference in these 2 seas. Life thriving in and around d Sea of Galilee, and no life in the Dead sea.

Y dis difference if they are supplied by the same Jordan?
Ask google nau undecided
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Chiopatra: 1:22pm On Feb 17, 2013
Tinyemeka: P.S All these Alleluyah shouts are begining to sound like hypocritical blasphemy.

There are better ways to praise God's doings. Ps 139:6, 14 is one.
why is it paining you :Ppraise God in ur own way
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by mikron(m): 1:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
why is it called the dead sea?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by God2man(m): 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
Donalð Genes: Probably some of yo'haven't heard about the dead sea,then its time for all of us to worship God,He is absolutely amazing,in this sea,nothing lives in it,its sooo salty,you can even do sit-ups on the sea and you can't be drown!that's one of secret wonders of God's work

Names of the Sea
Known in the Bible as the "Salt Sea" or the "Sea of the Arabah," this inland body of water is appropriately named because its high mineral content allows nothing to live in its waters. Other post-biblical names for the Dead Sea include the "Sea of Sodom," the "Sea of Lot," the "Sea of Asphalt" and the "Stinking Sea." In the Crusader period, it was sometimes called the "Devil's Sea." All of these names reflect something of the nature of this lake.

Biblical Period
The Dead Sea, unlike the Sea of Galilee to the north, does not figure prominently in the biblical narratives. Its most important role was as a barrier, blocking traffic to Judah from the east. An advancing army of Ammonites and Moabites apparently crossed a shallow part of the Dead Sea on their way to attack King Jehoshaphat (2 Chr 20). Ezekiel has prophesied that one day the Dead Sea will be fresh water and fishermen will spread their nets along the shore.

Lowest Point
The Dead Sea is located in the Syro-African Rift, a 4000-mile fault line in the earth's crust. The lowest point of dry land on earth is the shoreline of the Dead Sea at 1300 feet below sea level. That the lake is at the lowest point means that water does not drain from this lake. Daily 7 million tons of water evaporate but the minerals remain, causing the salt content to increase. Figures for the Dead Sea's salinity today range from 26-35%.

Mineral-Rich
Nearly ten times as salty as the world's oceans and twice as saline as the Great Salt Lake in Utah, the Dead Sea is rich with minerals. The Dead Sea Works company on the southwest side of the lake employs 1600 people around the clock to harvest the valuable minerals from the water. Potash is the most valuable of those extracted today and is used in the manufacture of fertilizer. The best article on the minerals in the Dead Sea is in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Healthy Water
The unique concentration of the Dead Sea waters has long been known to have medicinal value. Aristotle, Queen of Sheba, King Solomon and Cleopatra were all familiar with this and modern doctors as well often prescribe patients with skin ailments to soak in the waters of the Dead Sea. Because of the dropping level of the Dead Sea, the southern end is no longer under water, except for that which is channeled by aqueducts for the purpose of extracting minerals.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/deadsea.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery?sort=views&l=city&filter=Dead_Sea
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by SeunT2(m): 1:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
cheesy. Wow...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ex-Mad Woman Becomes Choir Mistress After 35 Years Of Insanity (photo) / How To Catch A Thief Using Bible Turn / Dominion City Lagos Adopts Woman Delivered Of A Baby Under Ajah Bridge, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.