Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Things You Should Never Say At Work - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things You Should Never Say At Work (21465 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by dammytosh: 12:12pm On Feb 18, 2013
kwaghe:
If I don't make use of these phrases, I will be silent all day at the office.

You are right, i am trying it right now and can not utter a word. Let me see what will happen before 3pm
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 18, 2013
Must u quote d poster@kwaghe? Geez
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Koolking(m): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
Never use the phrase 'not true' at work but rather use 'not correct'. Most employees are fond of counteracting their bosses with 'not true' instead of 'not correct'.
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Ngwakwe: 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Attitudinal change is what makes the difference. Don't imitate a character, rather acquire it.
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Jarus(m): 12:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
I was interviewing with one company 2 years ago and I used 'guys' for executive management of my then current company. I said something like: " No doubt, the guys (the executive management of my company) are trying, doing a good job, but ....."

One of the interviewers asked 'who are the guys?' and I told her I was referring to the executive management of my then current company. She told me you don't use guys for your employers. I knew for sure, but was so used to guys.

Similarly, when I was having final chat with that company in 2008 and I met the then COO. Where I meant to say 'yes', I said 'yeah'. She corrected me that I should not use yeah for her again. Needless to say it didn't reach 2 minutes before I answered yeah again cheesy. She knew my case was irredeemable, and didn't bother to correct me again. cheesy I thought she would annoyingly gave me bad rating, but she still passed me sha and I got the job cheesy
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
Another plagiarist on the lose! Care to give us ur link?
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Jarus(m): 12:44pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ishsoph: Another plagiarist on the lose! Care to give us ur link?

Blind
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Emmalex771(m): 12:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
@bluetooth thumbs up to u..buh the fact is "I think" phrase I'm so guilty of using it so much, and thanks cos korrection is noted
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by rodeo0070(m): 1:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
NICE...[i][/i] grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Abujafood: 1:12pm On Feb 18, 2013
Things you should never say at work:

1. Never tell your boss you want to be lovers. He might accept and then make you work for free.

2. Never ask your colleague "excuse me did you just fart?" What do you expect him/her to say?

3. Never tell an ugly client the truth about his/her looks. They might report you to your boss who might laugh at them and cause them to take their business to another company.

Apart from these ones, you can say anything else and be rest assured that if anyone attacks you for doing so you can come and report them to me.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by bennynaza(m): 1:22pm On Feb 18, 2013
14) "Sir. (boss answers): You are fired!"

Pls do not listen to these internet/forex trainers(scammers) who will tell u "sack your boss and be our own boss".... Whatever happens next, your on your own
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Phrankin(m): 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
[size=18pt]BOOO SHYTE[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
Who is price?

And how will this write-up affect the ultimate price of gar...
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 18, 2013
anitank: I use more than 6 out of those 13 phrases at work grin

Corrections taken

It depends on the office...
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 1:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
valicious1: AM SELF-EMPLOYED SO I SAY WHATEVER I WANT TO WHOMEVER I WISH. cool

GBAM!!!
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Eneze1(f): 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2013
Jarus: I was interviewing with one company 2 years ago and I used 'guys' for executive management of my then current company. I said something like: " No doubt, the guys (the executive management of my company) are trying, doing a good job, but ....."

One of the interviewers asked 'who are the guys?' and I told her I was referring to the executive management of my then current company. She told me you don't use guys for your employers. I knew for sure, but was so used to guys.

Similarly, when I was having final chat with that company in 2008 and I met the then COO. Where I meant to say 'yes', I said 'yeah'. She corrected me that I should not use yeah for her again. Needless to say it didn't reach 2 minutes before I answered yeah again cheesy. She knew my case was irredeemable, and didn't bother to correct me again. cheesy I thought she would annoyingly gave me bad rating, but she still passed me sha and I got the job cheesy

hahahaha guilty of yea likewise am so used to it that am trying very hard this days to stop responding to questions with that but despite trying I still say it
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by AngelofValor: 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:
Here are 13 phrases that should be banned from the office:

1) “It’s not fair.”

She got a raise, you didn’t. He was
recognized, you weren’t. “Some people have food to eat while others starve,” Price says. “Injustices happen on the job and in the world every day. Whether it’s a troubling issue at work or a serious problem for the planet, the point in avoiding this phrase is to be proactive about the issues versus complaining, or worse, passively whining.” Instead, document the facts, build a case, and present an intelligent argument to the person or group who can help you.

2) “That’s not my problem,” “That’s not my job,” or “I don’t get paid enough for this.”

If you asked someone for help, and the person replied with one of the above phrases, how would you feel? “As importantly, what would it say about him or her?” Price says. “Regardless of how inconvenient or inappropriate a request may be, it is likely important to the other person or they would not have asked. Therefore, as a contributing member of the team, a top priority is to care about the success of others (or at least act as though you do).”  An unconcerned, detached and self-serving attitude quickly limits career advancement.
“This doesn’t mean you have to say yes; it does mean you need to be articulate and thoughtful when saying no,” she adds. “For example, if your boss issues an unreasonable request, rather than saying, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. I don’t get paid enough for this,’ instead say, ‘I’ll be glad to help. Given my current tasks of A, B, and C, which one of these shall I place on hold while I work on this new assignment?’ This clearly communicates teamwork and helpfulness, while reminding your boss of your current work load and the need to set realistic expectations.”

3) “I think…”

Which of these two statements sounds
more authoritative?: “I think our company might be a good partner for you.” Or, “I believe…” “I know…” or “I am confident that our company will be a good partner for you.”
“There is a slight difference in the wording, however the conviction communicated to your customer is profound,” she says. “You may have noticed, the first phrase contains two weak words, ‘think’ and ‘might.’ They risk making you sound unsure or insecure about the message. Conversely, the second sentence is assertive and certain. To convey a command of content and passion for your subject, substitute the word ‘think’ with ‘believe’ and replace ‘might’ with ‘will.’”

4) “No problem.”

When someone thanks you, the courteous and polite reply is, “You’re welcome.”
“The meaning implies that it was a pleasure for you to help the person, and that you receive their appreciation,” Price says. “Though the casual laid-back phrase, ‘no problem’ may intend to communicate this, it falls short. It actually negates the person’s appreciation and implies the situation could have been a problem under other circumstances.” In business and social situations, if you want to be perceived as well-mannered and considerate, respond to thank you’s with, “You’re welcome.”

5) “I’ll try.”

“Imagine it’s April 15th and you ask a friend to mail your tax returns before 5pm on his way to the post office,” Price says. “If he replies, ‘Okay, I’ll try,’ you’ll likely feel the need to mail them yourself.” Why? Because that phrase implies the possibility of failure.
“In your speech, especially with senior leaders, replace the word ‘try’ with the word and intention of ‘will.’ This seemingly small change speaks volumes,” she adds.

6)“He’s a jerk,” or “She’s lazy,” or “My job stinks,” or “I hate this company.”

Nothing tanks a career faster than name-calling, Price says. “Not only does it reveal juvenile school-yard immaturity, it’s language that is liable and fire-able.”
Avoid making unkind, judgmental statements that will inevitably reflect poorly on you. If you have a genuine complaint about someone or something, communicate the issue with tact, consideration and neutrality.

7) “But we’ve always done it that way.”

“The most effective leaders value innovation, creative thinking and problem solving skills in their employees,” Price says. In one fell swoop, this phrase reveals you are the opposite: stuck in the past, inflexible, and closed-minded. “Instead say, ‘Wow, that’s an interesting idea. How would that work?’ Or, ‘That’s a different approach. Let’s discuss the pros and cons.’”

cool “That’s impossible” or “There’s nothing I can do.”

Really? Are you sure you’ve considered every single possible solution and the list is now exhausted? “When you make the mistake of saying these negative phrases, your words convey a pessimistic, passive, even hopeless outlook,” Price says. “This approach is seldom valued in the workplace. Employers notice, recognize and promote a can-do attitude. Despite the glum circumstances, communicate through your words what you can contribute to the situation.”
Instead, try something like, “I’ll be glad to check on it again,” “Let’s discuss what’s possible under these circumstances,” or, “What I can do is this.”

9) “You should have…” or “You could have…”

You probably wouldn’t be thrilled if someone said: “You should have told me about this sooner!” Or, “You could have tried a little harder.” “Chances are, these fault-finding words inflict feelings of blame and finger-pointing,” Price says. “Ideally, the workplace fosters equality, collaboration and teamwork. Instead of making someone feel guilty (even if they are), take a more productive non-judgmental approach.” Say, “Next time, to ensure proper planning, please bring this to my attention immediately.” Or, “In the future, I recommend…”

10) “You guys.”

Reserve the phrase “you guys” for friendly casual conversations and avoid using it in business. “Referring to a group of people as ‘you guys’ is not only inaccurate if women are present, it is slang and lowers your level of professionalism,” Price explains. With fellow professionals such as your boss, co-workers and clients, substitute “you guys” with terms such as “your organization” or “your team” or simply “you.”

11) “I may be wrong, but…” or “This may be a silly idea, but…”

These phrases are known as discounting, Price explains. They diminish the impact of what follows and reduce your credibility. “Remember that your spoken words reveal to the world how much value you place on yourself and your message. For this reason, eliminate any prefacing phrase that demeans the importance of who you are or lessens the significance of what you contribute.”
Don’t say, “This may be a silly idea, but I was thinking that maybe we might conduct the quarterly meeting online instead, okay?” Instead, assert your recommendation: “To reduce travel costs and increase time efficiency, I recommend we conduct the quarterly meeting online.”

12) “Don’t you think?” or “Okay?” 

These phrases are commonly known as hedging—seeking validation through the use of overly cautious or non-committal words, she says. “If you truly are seeking approval or looking for validation, these phrases may well apply. However, if your goal is to communicate a confident commanding message and persuade people to see it your way, instead of hedging make your statement or recommendation with certainty.”
Imagine an investment banker saying, “This is a good way to invest your money, don’t you think? I’ll proceed, if that’s okay with you.” Instead, you’d probably want to hear something like: “This strategy is a wise investment that provides long-term benefits. With your approval, I’ll wire the money by 5pm today.”

13 “I don’t have time for this right now,” or “I’m too busy.”

“Even if these statements are true, no one wants to feel less important than something or someone else,” Price says. To foster positive relations and convey empathy, say instead: I’d be happy to discuss this with you after my morning meetings. May I stop by your office around 1pm?”

These are common phrases that might be difficult to eliminate completely from your everyday conversations—but the trick is to gain awareness of the language you’re using. “As is often the case with bad habits, we are unconscious of the fact we’re saying career-limiting words and phrases,” Price says.

Here are a few tips to build self-awareness and eradicate the phrases from your conversations:

Record yourself.
. When you’re on the phone in a business setting, record your side of the conversation, she suggests. “Listen carefully to the recording afterward (on the way home from work). Did you use any of the phrases on this list, or any other words or phrases that may be perceived as limiting or negative? Write down the phrase you used, mark through it, and beside it construct an alternate phrase that more positively communicates your message.” Keep this list handy, by your phone or next to your computer monitor, and review it daily.

Enlist a buddy.
When you’re in meetings (and may not be able to record), ask a trusted co-worker to listen carefully to your language. “Ask them to write down any career-limiting words, phrases, actions or attitudes they perceive to be negative,” she says. “Treat them to lunch, check your ego at the door, and let them tell you what they heard.”

Listen for these phrases when others speak.
When you hear how jeopardizing these phrases actually sound when spoken by another, it sends a powerful message to your brain heightening your own self awareness. Price says you should ask yourself, “How could she have phrased that idea in a different way?” Or, “What words would have communicated his point more positively?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/02/15/13-things-you-should-never-say-at-work

Bluetooth, coming from u? Infact, am flabbergasted and shocked beyond words. shocked shocked shocked One more statement one

shouldn't say@ work is... "He is a TRIBAL BIGOT!". grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by AngelofValor: 1:36pm On Feb 18, 2013
Phrankin: [size=18pt]BOOO SHYTE[/size]

I think u refer the Information as BOOO SHYTE cos its coming from Bluetooth abi? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by wonlasewonimi: 1:59pm On Feb 18, 2013
It depends on the organisation culture...work interaction has evolved guys!
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 2:18pm On Feb 18, 2013
Well, i'd love to work in a Firm where i could actually sit with my Boss and talk about the Gurl we screwed Lastnite!

Boss : Sam, how u take see that Gurl?

Me : Oga, no be small Yan be that Ooo

Boss : Next time we're on this i'd be doing it from the back -- U cheated me Lastnite

Me : Why i no go Cheat U, last month Salary shey U follow me Squander am On Nairabet
grin grin
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by mosquitoNet(m): 2:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Hi house, pls I'm new here, can someone takes me around?
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by AngelofValor: 2:26pm On Feb 18, 2013
mosquitoNet: Hi house, pls I'm new here, can someone takes me around?

mosquito u , now who no sabi this old man for this forum. grin grin grin Is this ur new alias? cheesy cheesy COOOOL!

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by zonas4luv: 2:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
mdsocks: Am guilty of the "you guys" phrase but I don't think my colleagues ever mind that.

Me 2..tanx so much @op
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by sobastical: 3:15pm On Feb 18, 2013
yuzedo: It is true. I live in Banana Island so i should know! wink

No be only banana island, na pawpaw island ni...shiooorrr
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by sobastical: 3:18pm On Feb 18, 2013
Olekumaster: get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!get your FREE AIRTEL 10GB for 3 months. Call me on 08066.387195...it's very real, DON'T DULL!

O boi park well jare....
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by great063(m): 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
@Bluetooth,I appreciate the article.Who is Price?
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by manny4life(m): 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
One of the few times Bluetooth has posted something noteworthy... Thanks

Although, I'm guilty of a few (about four of those) but working on it. As for the "you guys" part, I've totally gotten rid of those words, and addressed people by names or title
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by BeraBera(f): 3:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
kwaghe:
If I don't make use of these phrases, I will be silent all day at the office.

DO YOU HAVE TO QUOTE THE ENTIRE THREAD JUST TO SAY THIS? HABA!

@Topic: Nice advice
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by 1forall: 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Good to read but impractical.

If you feel you have to strictly follow these rules then you're probably in the wrong workplace, or maybe just joined.

In general the communication culture in any specific workplace would dictate the appropriate language to use there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Workers To Start Receiving January Salary – AGF / DPR Aptitude Test Questions & Answers 2016 / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.