Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 (9636 Views)

Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan / Unveiling Super Eagles Star, Onazi Ogenyi’s Girlfriend / Photos: Super Eagles Star Buys $250,000 New Rolls Royce Ghost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by atasteve: 12:03pm On Feb 19, 2013
RIP, great hero of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 19, 2013
I remember the goal he scored at the National Stadium vs Tunisia in the World Cup qualifiers for Mexico 86 in 1985.
The North Africans were bent on frustrating us that day.
But we lost 2-nil in the return leg in Tunis and were knocked out.
Rest in Peace.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Lakayana: 12:09pm On Feb 19, 2013
Lateef9961: May allah 4gve him. Amen RIP
is this a joke? Allah has got nothing to do with him.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by danjalingo: 12:26pm On Feb 19, 2013
Temismith: God have mercy on Nigeria... The death rate recently is quite alarming. RIP

hornestly,and the old and corrupt are not dying.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 19, 2013
I'm waiting for naptu2 to give us his full biography.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by stagger: 12:39pm On Feb 19, 2013
I recall watching Nigeria vs Tunisia in Lagos in 1985 where we won 1-0 courtesy of his well taken goal. Nigeria was in crisis after the NFA suspended Stephen Keshi and other key players for reporting to camp late. We just could not break down the Tunisians until Okey Isima was introduced late in the second half and he provided the only goal of that game.

Unfortunately, we lost the second leg 2-0 and that put an end to our Mexico '86 World Cup hopes. Great player. He will be missed.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Abbey4life: 12:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
Gud Night! okey Isima
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by alex406(m): 12:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
R.I.P
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by luvinhubby(m): 1:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
[quote author=stagger]I recall watching Nigeria vs Tunisia in Lagos in 1985 where we won 1-0 courtesy of his well taken goal. Nigeria was in crisis after the NFA suspended Stephen Keshi and other key players for reporting to camp late. We just could not break down the Tunisians until Okey Isima was introduced late in the second half and he provided the only goal of that game.

Unfortunately, we lost the second leg 2-0 and that put an end to our Mexico '86 World Cup
hopes. Great player. He will be missed. [/
quote]
Yes, i remember that match, he realy harassed the time wasting Tunisia goakeeper b/4 scoring the only goal in that match. Himself & John Chiedozie came in from U.S for that match.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by 360command: 1:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
UWA! life is a market . we come to sell in the market and when we are done selling, we go home . RIP Isima, i believe you have done what you are supposed to do in this world.

as we go , so as people are coming. today, Goodluck is in Aso rock sitting on the presidency seat, tomorrow we do not know what will happen. This life is a market(those who are coming and those who are going).
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by namdo(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2013
RIP great patriot.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by AndreUweh(m): 3:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
RIP
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by COOLDUN: 6:23pm On Feb 19, 2013
RIP the great 3 of Nigeria, i remember the days when every young Nigerian can name the first eleven before any match, then you were named as the the Left full back while great David Adiele of Okwudor Njaba LGA Imo state was in the Right full Back, Muda Lawal in his stopper position, Chairman Chukwu will be at Central defense,Felix Owolabi Owo blow will be in 6 position, Mathematical S,Odegbami will be in outside right, Aloysius Atuegbu and brothers in 8 Position, Ifeanyi Onyedika Ahidjo, in 9th Position, the Barrister Adokie Amasiemeka will in outside left, Utility player Sylvanus Okpala is everywhere in the pitch, Okalla/Best Ogedemgbe at the goal post, Khadiri Ikhana and little wonder boy Henry Nwosu also in the pitch, then our Opponents will be panting in the pitch for the whole 90 minutes.

RIP the great one, God almighty should grant your soul the everlasting rest in a perfect peace, and reward you with the happiness and smiles you brought into faces of the Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 19, 2013
Rest in Peace Sir.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by danniekute(m): 7:43pm On Feb 19, 2013
great player he was..R I P.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Enigma(m): 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
RIP Okey Isima

@luvinhubby

John Chiedozie came in from the UK not the US; I think and Tunji Banjo too. smiley
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by nokingasgod: 8:28pm On Feb 19, 2013
COOLDUN: RIP the great 3 of Nigeria, i remember the days when every young Nigerian can name the first eleven before any match, then you were named as the the Left full back while great David Adiele of Okwudor Njaba LGA Imo state was in the Right full Back, Muda Lawal in his stopper position, Chairman Chukwu will be at Central defense,Felix Owolabi Owo blow will be in 6 position, Mathematical S,Odegbami will be in outside right, Aloysius Atuegbu and brothers in 8 Position, Ifeanyi Onyedika Ahidjo, in 9th Position, the Barrister Adokie Amasiemeka will in outside left, Utility player Sylvanus Okpala is everywhere in the pitch, Okalla/Best Ogedemgbe at the goal post, Khadiri Ikhana and little wonder boy Henry Nwosu also in the pitch, then our Opponents will be panting in the pitch for the whole 90 minutes.

RIP the great one, God almighty should grant your soul the everlasting rest in a perfect peace, and reward you with the happiness and smiles you brought into faces of the Nigerians.

OH YEAHHHHHHH,I REMEMBER + THE ONLY 2 PROFESSIONALS THAT WERE ALWAYS COMING BACK HOME FROM I THINK UK - JOHN CHIDOZIE AND TUNJI BANJO

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by COOLDUN: 8:50pm On Feb 19, 2013
nokingasgod:

OH YEAHHHHHHH,I REMEMBER + THE ONLY 2 PROFESSIONALS THAT WERE ALWAYS COMING BACK HOME FROM I THINK UK - JOHN CHIDOZIE AND TUNJI BANJO

You are correct including a Ghanian born Nigerian player John Orlando. Thanks for your great retentive memory . I love reading from guys that follow the history.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Eziachi: 11:46pm On Feb 19, 2013
Nightshift: Okey Isima was one of Coal City's finest footballers during the 70s/80s. First, he played for his school National Grammar School Nike Enugu, and later Enugu Rangers International, before joining Eagles and winning African Cup Of Nations for Nigeria in 1980. A true 'flying antelope', may his Soul Rest In Peace .
He joined Rangers from Standard of Jos, where he was the captain.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Eziachi: 11:51pm On Feb 19, 2013
madjune: The stars are going. Its true o. They made Nigeria known for soccer in those days. Isima, Okalla, Xtian Chukwu, Ogedengbe, Odegbami etc. Of cos, most Nairalanders born in the 80s and 90s will never know these people cos they were watching cartoon instead of ball then.
I call them the Satellite TV football bandwagon fans-the generations of my team is Barcelona. Chelsea, Man Utd, Real Madrid but knew absolutely nothing about the glorious history of Rangers Int' and I IICC shooting Stars.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Eziachi: 12:01am On Feb 20, 2013
stagger: I recall watching Nigeria vs Tunisia in Lagos in 1985 where we won 1-0 courtesy of his well taken goal. Nigeria was in crisis after the NFA suspended Stephen Keshi and other key players for reporting to camp late. We just could not break down the Tunisians until Okey Isima was introduced late in the second half and he provided the only goal of that game.

Unfortunately, we lost the second leg 2-0 and that put an end to our Mexico '86 World Cup hopes. Great player. He will be missed.
You got good memory. Nigerian always their own biggest enemies-suspending many New Nigerian Bank players for reporting to camp late, I think Chris Udemezue was the coach then, if my memory serves me right? That is actually the trigger that started the mass exodus to play abroad, Keshi left for ivory Coast, the rest is history.
Up till that time only home grown player that had venture abroad to play was Thompson Usiyen and Sylvanus Okpara brief stint with Benfica. Tunji Banjo was British born, John Chiedozie was Biafra kid refugee in England after the war when he was pick up by Leyton Orient manager playing on the street with other kids in Hackney Mash and later his big move to Spurs. He has a big carpet business all over West country England now. grin
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Eziachi: 12:09am On Feb 20, 2013
COOLDUN:

You are correct including a Ghanian born Nigerian player John Orlando. Thanks for your great retentive memory . I love reading from guys that follow the history.
John Orlando has an Igbo mother but Ghanaian father along with another guy, Kenneth Boardman who along with Christian Chukwu marshals the Rangers defence in the mid 80s.
But the Ghanaian that made an impact with the Eagles was Leotis Boateng, who take Chukwus position when he retired. Boateng was at the heart of Eagles defence at Libya 82 AFCON-woeful outing.
Ghanaian had always made impact Nigerian football- 1975 FA cup semi finals-An unknown team just came out nowhere and nearly knock Rangers out. They are called the Arusha Land Rocks FC of Ilorin with their first 11 all Ghanaians grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by nokingasgod: 3:51pm On Feb 20, 2013
COOLDUN:

Thanks Bro. So, Orlando John was actually a Nigerian born in Ghana, i used to think he was actually Ghanian living in Nigeria then like Leotis Boateng, another Ghanian in the Green Eagles of 1980
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2013
RIP OKEY ISIMA, NIGERIAN HERO.

I've always said that if only Africa had had more than one slot at the 1978 World Cup, we would have qualified, and that Eagles team comprising Isima (a later additon), Adokie, Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Christian Chukwu, 'blockbuster' Alloysius Atuegbu, Felix Owolabi (Owo Blow), Sylvanus Okpala, Ifeanyi Onyedika and goalkeeper Emmanuel Okala, would have shown the world first class football, and quite possibly advanced to the latter stages of the tournament. That team was one of the most skillful and talented sides to ever grace a football field.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Enigma(m): 10:49pm On Feb 20, 2013
Eziachi:
John Orlando has an Igbo mother but Ghanaian father along with another guy, Kenneth Boardman who along with Christian Chukwu marshals the Rangers defence in the mid 80s.
But the Ghanaian that made an impact with the Eagles was Leotis Boateng, who take Chukwus position when he retired. Boateng was at the heart of Eagles defence at Libya 82 AFCON-woeful outing.
Ghanaian had always made impact Nigerian football- 1975 FA cup semi finals-An unknown team just came out nowhere and nearly knock Rangers out. They are called the Arusha Land Rocks FC of Ilorin with their first 11 all Ghanaians grin grin grin

I think you mean Alfuysalam Rocks, no?
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Enigma(m): 10:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
ROSSIKE: RIP OKEY ISIMA, NIGERIAN HERO.

I've always said that if only Africa had had more than one slot at the 1978 World Cup, we would have qualified, and that Eagles team comprising Isima (a later additon), Adokie, Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Christian Chukwu, 'blockbuster' Alloysius Atuegbu, Felix Owolabi (Owo Blow), Sylvanus Okpala, Ifeanyi Onyedika and goalkeeper Emmanuel Okala, would have shown the world first class football, and quite possibly advanced to the latter stages of the tournament. That team was one of the most skillful and talented sides to ever grace a football field.

And to say that one of our best ever defenders conceded an unlucky own goal to deprive us! The Tunisians did well though. smiley
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Eziachi: 10:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
Enigma:

I think you mean Alfuysalam Rocks, no?
I think You may have the correct spelling.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 3:32am On Feb 22, 2013
Enigma:

And to say that one of our best ever defenders conceded an unlucky own goal to deprive us! The Tunisians did well though. smiley

Unfortunately that is life. Godwin Odiye never recovered from that own goal which saw off our chances of qualification.

I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. Grown men were crying like babies. The whole Lagos was like a graveyard after that game. You could hear a pin drop miles away.

Nigerians had been anticipating the arrival of that team on the world stage with massive expectations.

Finally the world would get to see the bewitching skills of Segun Odegbami and Adokie Amaesimaka, the defensive solidity of Christian Chukwu, the midfield genius of Muda Lawal, and the uncanny gifts of goalkeeper Emmanuel Okala. All we had to do was get a draw against Tunisia in Lagos, and we were through. The game was about to end all square, before disaster struck, courtesy of a Tunisian cross which Odiye inexplicably headed into the far right corner of his own net, leaving a stunned Okala rooted to the spot.

Odiye became an object of scorn and ridicule throughout the country. His name became a byword for own goals and general uselessness on the pitch, yelled out by school children on countless pitches across the nation. He retired from football shortly after the debacle.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by nokingasgod: 11:43am On Feb 22, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Unfortunately that is life. Godwin Odiye never recovered from that own goal which saw off our chances of qualification.

I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. Grown men were crying like babies. The whole Lagos was like a graveyard after that game. You could hear a pin drop miles away.

Nigerians had been anticipating the arrival of that team on the world stage with massive expectations.

Finally the world would get to see the bewitching skills of Segun Odegbami and Adokie Amaesimaka, the defensive solidity of Christian Chukwu, the midfield genius of Muda Lawal, and the uncanny gifts of goalkeeper Emmanuel Okala. All we had to do was get a draw against Tunisia in Lagos, and we were through. The game was about to end all square, before disaster struck, courtesy of a Tunisian cross which Odiye inexplicably headed into the far right corner of his own net, leaving a stunned Okala rooted to the spot.

Odiye became an object of scorn and ridicule throughout the country. His name became a byword for own goals and general uselessness on the pitch, yelled out by school children on countless pitches across the nation. He retired from football shortly after the debacle.

Great job Bros. Ogbein Fawole has a similar legend but i cant really remember the plot, can you kindly re-live this too. Appreciate!
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
nokingasgod:
Great job Bros. Ogbein Fawole has a similar legend but i cant really remember the plot, can you kindly re-live this too. Appreciate!

I believe that was the 1984 final between IICC Shooting Stars and Zamalek of Egypt in the African Cup of Champion Clubs. Ogbein Fawole headed the ball back to his keeper, Raymond King, only for the ball to pass by the on-rushing keeper and roll gently and agonizingly into the net. Result, Zamalek won. That particular blunder by Ogbein Fawole - who was actually a very good player for the Eagles back then, led to the disbanding of IICC by a furious Oyo state govt. All the players were sacked, and a new team was built. That new team never quite regained the lofty heights of the old IICC. The old IICC was a fantastic side. Boasting star players like Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Samuel Ojebode, Moses Otolorin, Kunle Awesu, Felix Owolabi, David Adiele and 'Slow Poison' Idowu Otubusin, this team played the then Brazilian champions, Fluminense, to a standstill at Liberty stadium, Ibadan, with Segun Odegbami running rings round the Fluminense defence. Game ended 1-1. IICC was a top class squad. Just like Rangers International. Those two clubs could hold their own against any clubside in the world in those days.
Re: Nigeria Ex Eagles Star Okey Isima Dies At 56 by nokingasgod: 4:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
ROSSIKE:

I believe that was the 1984 final between IICC Shooting Stars and Zamalek of Egypt in the African Cup of Champion Clubs. Ogbein Fawole headed the ball back to his keeper, Raymond King, only for the ball to pass by the on-rushing keeper and roll gently and agonizingly into the net. Result, Zamalek won. That particular blunder by Ogbein Fawole - who was actually a very good player for the Eagles back then, led to the disbanding of IICC by a furious Oyo state govt. All the players were sacked, and a new team was built. That new team never quite regained the lofty heights of the old IICC. The old IICC was a fantastic side. Boasting star players like Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Samuel Ojebode, Moses Otolorin, Kunle Awesu, Felix Owolabi, David Adiele and 'Slow Poison' Idowu Otubusin, this team played the then Brazilian champions, Fluminense, to a standstill at Liberty stadium, Ibadan, with Segun Odegbami running rings round the Fluminense defence. Game ended 1-1. IICC was a top class squad. Just like Rangers International. Those two clubs could hold their own against any clubside in the world in those days.

Thanks Bros, Respect!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NFF Confirms Super Eagles Vs Mexico Friendly For July 3rd / Okagbare Wins Silver In Long Jump At World Athletics Championship, Moscow 2013 / My Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.