Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan (1479 Views)

Transfer: Super Eagles Star, Brian Idowu Joins Lokomotiv Moscow / Blind Femi Opabunmi Duped By Fake Pastors And Imams / Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by Leiman100(m): 7:48pm On Apr 25, 2016
This is the pathethic story of a former star of Nigerian football who is now begging on the streets for survival. Femi Opabunmi represented Nigeria at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea and Japan and had a total of three caps for the Super Eagle before he retired. The former winger who has been trailed with reports of financial difficulties is said to have turned to a beggar in Ibadan.
Sources revealed that the former Shooting Stars forward has resorted to begging after he an eye surgery years ago ended his career.
“He practically begs from anyone he spots on the street. If you see him and greet him like an ex-footballer he is, the next thing is for him to ask you for money and his slogan has always been, ‘I don’t know what my wife and kids will eat today, we have nothing at home,“ a source revealed.

Opabunmi is regularly seen around Ring Road, in Ibadan; the street beside Echos bar.
He played for a few clubs, including Shooting Stars FC, Grasshoppers Zürich (Switzerland) and Chamois Niortais in France.

He studied at Methodist High School Ibadan and played for the Methodist High School Ibadan Old Boys. Serious eyes problems stopped his career since 2006.
Opabunmi scored a goal to help Nigeria win the African U-17 Championships in 2001.
He was a key player at 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship where he scored a hat-trick against Australia and won the Silver Shoe as second highest goalscorer and also the Bronze Ball as third best player in the tournament, helping Nigeria to reach the final where they lost to France.

Opabunmi, due to his present condition has been in the media lately begging for assistance from well meaning Nigerians to come to his aid. At a recent appearance on Lagos Television not too long ago, he said on air that he needs a job to put food on his table as his condition has degenerated.

Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by amtaken(f): 7:58pm On Apr 25, 2016
God have mercy.

1 Like

Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 25, 2016
Like seriously!
Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2016
Nigeria just never appreciates. Reminds me of the story of the man who designed our flag too ( taiwo akinkunmi or so).
Yet they are all celebrating olajumoke. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by sammie771: 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2016
If i have my way,i will take you to WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE SHOW.GOD will heal you my brother
Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by boykiss99(m): 8:50pm On Apr 25, 2016
Who do am?
Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by jobzy78: 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
Na wa o
Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by fistonati(m): 8:55pm On Apr 25, 2016
Where is your sense of reasoning?
boykiss99:
Who do am?
Re: Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan by boykiss99(m): 8:57pm On Apr 25, 2016
fistonati:
Where is your sense of reasoning?
Because he once played for Nigeria doesnt mean he should be baby sitted.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

100% Free Soccer Betting Tip... / Roman Reigns VS Braun Strowman Match Fastlane 2017 / Highlight Liverpool Vs Crystal Palace 1:0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.