Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba (1559 Views)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 10:41am On Feb 19, 2013
This is an open question set for a much deeper discussion. Give your answer or opinion.

note to religious fanatics: Jerusalem in this sense is in reference to geographic and spiritual......not religious!
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by tpia5: 12:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
there might be if the british took them there.

1 Like

Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 1:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
grin C'mon tpia, be serious.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by tpia5: 5:52pm On Feb 19, 2013
i am serious.

didnt you see the bbc documentary on palestine- they interviewed a hausa nigerian lady who's been there since forever. She has palestinian grandkids who know nothing about nigeria.

that's only the tip of the icing i'm sure.

her grandpa or dad followed the brits to palestine or somewhere close by, some centuries back, and never returned to nigeria.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 1:50am On Feb 20, 2013
I never saw the documentary but i understand such exceptions do exist.

I want you to take a look at this picture and see if anything strike you or if there is some peculiar meaning to what it symbolizes.

post is modified to include the old Western Nigeria coat of arms, still archived in Mapo Hall, Ibadan.

Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 10:29am On Feb 21, 2013
Lion of Judah is used to refer to the Judeo-Christian roots in Jerusalem, i.e. the bloodline of David. The reference is in connection with the covenant of Abraham and the deliverance promised to his progeny. This deliverance came much later and in the age of Israel

Long story short, the children of Israel became the inheritors of the land of Canaan (Kanaan).

There is broad acceptance and acknowledgement by historians, linguists and researchers that Yoruba is a Kanaan culture. Thousands of words and symbols in the Hebrew language root have direct correlation and meaning in Yoruba language root.

I was searching for a material in an online library not too long ago on Kanaan symbols but forgot that I still had the word Yoruba in the search field from a previous inquiry; I had hit the enter key before I realized the mistake. The result came back with a lot of materials Im already familiar with, but I did not dismiss them nonetheless and sorted through. I came across a fella, a Syrian minister, named Ghazi Kanaan. He also goes by the name Abu Yo'roub and he is from a tribe known politically as Alawite. Culturally, the tribe is known as Alawiyya.

Alawiyya sound like Alawiye; Yo'roub sound like Yoruba. Inspired by this, I used a different keyword to probe further into "Yo'roub and Assyria"; "Yo'roub and Akkadia"; "Yo'roub and Egypt" and "Yo'roub and Semitic".

I discovered many new things and some I will share here in future. One of the most profound is the name of the land of Kanaan and its connection to Judah. The children of Israel took over the repositories of knowledge, temples, altars and shrines belonging to the tribes of people sacked and exiled from the land of Kanaan. Part of this inheritance was the symbolism of lion as a sovereign power. In establishing a kingdom modeled after that of the Kanaan, they established the Kingdom of Judah and the King became the Lion of Judah. It is also sometimes called the Lion of Jerusalem....but of course this was a Kanaan city originally.

All the bloodlines of Judah on ascension take on the title Lion of Judah. This title is used as an attribute for Jesus (ASWS), who was a descendant of King David through Mary. It was also used for. Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia, who descended from King David through the blood of Solomon and the dynasty of Menelik.

Kanaan was originally written as Kenaan. When reduced into Hebrew roots it becomes "k-n-n". Lion in Yoruba language is called Kiniun. If you reduce it to the root you will get "k-n-n".

There are many sovereingties and states that use Lion in their coat of arms but none combines Lion and Star of David on the same crest. After discovering that Lion of Jerusalem (K-N-N) was an inheritance to the children of Israel, I am incited to probe the origin of the Star of David. Could this also be a property of Kanaan? Dierk Lange, in one of his books, wrote that the Yorubas posess in their culture the missing puzzles needed to complete the story on the Assyrians and the Kanaans.

Peace wink

1 Like

Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by tpia5: 4:16pm On Feb 21, 2013
so, you're saying canaan and kiniun have some similarity?

hmm, would need to check the etymology of kiniun first, might get a yoruba dictionary. wink

what, in your opinion, are the root words and components of kiniun? Can you break it down?
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
the vonnection between the two is far deeper than similarity.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by TonySpike: 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2013
Another interesting research by Chief Negro. c-n-n and k-n-n, no doubt will be the same thing. now, I'm wondering why most of the ancient landmarks start with K. Just take a look....

1. Kemet
2. Kush
3. Kongo
4. kenaan

Chief Negro, i want to ask you a difficult question. In which part of Yorubaland do you think the original dialect spread out from?
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by pleep(m): 9:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
All these pointless niggeralities and nigjectures is nausating.

I hate nigscience angry
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2013
Hello Tony,

There is a lot to share and discuss and learn on what you have asked. We can review it using a deductive approach. The subject of nature and the nativity and dispersion of humans is given narrative both by religious tradition and scientific inquiry. Religion speaks to what was while science stands in opposition to it. Science itself does not speak for any of the phenomenals of creation.......it can re-enact or mimick the acts of creation but it fails to re-originate creation. So for the purpose here and in pursuit of what is original I will be sharing from a traditional viewpoint.

Tradition holds the following minimums to be true:

1. in its beginning human life was united in one location, on one land and spoke one language.

2. humans probed for better security and permanence.

3. at a later time humans suffered a division of land, tongue, color and perspective.

4. from the traumatic division grew the need for better security.

5. then came groupings, identity, alliance, rivalry, disposession, elimination.

6. this led to emigration, displacement and discovery.

7. then we have recovery, retention and expansion.

....more later.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by eddy1977(m): 10:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
pleep: All these pointless niggeralities and nigjectures is nausating.

I hate nigscience angry

Good for you.

While i totally disagree witb the poster,s philosophy, i deeply respect him for digging deeper into the history of his people. He maybe right or wrong. But isn't he a free man to choose his school of thoughts?

A little internet courtesy is all we need on nairaland
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 8:10am On Feb 24, 2013
Tony,

In continuation and to respond to your question, it will have to be agreed that Yoruba language was planted wherever Oduduwa and his people first set foot. I want to say few things here on the Yoruba we speak today. Look at these two words: "dakun"; "jo" (as in "I beg"}. One is formal the other is not. As you move away from core Yoruba land to the fringes the informality increases. So amongst the core lands today, which one speaks a formal dialect? I would say Offa or one of the towns in that area.

When Bishop Crowther was working on the Yoruba alphabets he faced certain challenges which have not been corrected and may never be corrected. Because no one recorded the baseline going into this project we have nothing to show the gradations from beginning to end of how the final alphabetical series were settled on. The whole spectrum of European languages were used to find cognitive equivalents in order to render it (Yoruba) in latin letters. So how about the words that did not have equivalents in European languages, what happened to them? We could be short on alphabets, we don't know. So the transfixion into latin letters may have robbed Yoruba tongue of very rich words and letters.

The word we speak is the personality of being. It rises from the 5th chakra, passes through the 4th, the 3rd and then comes out in audible tone. The vowels are the modulators. When you think of words in their root consonantal form, without the vowels you will soon begin to see the unity and the relationship of things. a,e, e, i o, o u. Why does Yoruba have seven vowels? Because Yoruba language is rhythymic, it can express a full octave of tonal sounds and its harmonics. In addition to the street formal and informal Yoruba language, we also have the "eno"; which is cryptic, and there are two versions of those! Ayo = Aga Yogo Ongo = Ambiriki Yombiriki. Generally in Yoruba "m" is fertility.

Then there is the esoteric (or sacred) Yoruba language, which is reserved for priest work. The vowels are categorized into elements. For instance, "o" may be called the "fire" element. So that when you say "mo", you are combining the qualities of "m" with that of "o". In other words, "fertility - fire".... "fertile-fire"...... "fertile-energy"......"an energy that can produce"......"a productive energy"......"a purposeful action".

There is too much in Yoruba language than we know or are consciously mindful of. Therefore, in naming a town or a place of spiritual importance as you listed with those beginning with 'K", then consideration must be given to the purpose of that land and what quality is to be drawn to it. If it is to be used as a city of fortification and security, then the earth vowel must be combined with the k. If it is desired for scholarship and industry, then the air vowel must be added to the k, if it is desired to serve as the seat of an empire, then the fire vowel must be associated with this k.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by TonySpike: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Tony,

In continuation and to respond to your question, it will have to be agreed that Yoruba language was planted wherever Oduduwa and his people first set foot. I want to say few things here on the Yoruba we speak today. Look at these two words: "dakun"; "jo" (as in "I beg"}. One is formal the other is not. As you move away from core Yoruba land to the fringes the informality increases. So amongst the core lands today, which one speaks a formal dialect? I would say Offa or one of the towns in that area.

When Bishop Crowther was working on the Yoruba alphabets he faced certain challenges which have not been corrected and may never be corrected. Because no one recorded the baseline going into this project we have nothing to show the gradations from beginning to end of how the final alphabetical series were settled on. The whole spectrum of European languages were used to find cognitive equivalents in order to render it (Yoruba) in latin letters. So how about the words that did not have equivalents in European languages, what happened to them? We could be short on alphabets, we don't know. So the transfixion into latin letters may have robbed Yoruba tongue of very rich words and letters.

The word we speak is the personality of being. It rises from the 5th chakra, passes through the 4th, the 3rd and then comes out in audible tone. The vowels are the modulators. When you think of words in their root consonantal form, without the vowels you will soon begin to see the unity and the relationship of things. a,e, e, i o, o u. Why does Yoruba have seven vowels? Because Yoruba language is rhythymic, it can express a full octave of tonal sounds and its harmonics. In addition to the street formal and informal Yoruba language, we also have the "eno"; which is cryptic, and there are two versions of those! Ayo = Aga Yogo Ongo = Ambiriki Yombiriki. Generally in Yoruba "m" is fertility.

Then there is the esoteric (or sacred) Yoruba language, which is reserved for priest work. The vowels are categorized into elements. For instance, "o" may be called the "fire" element. So that when you say "mo", you are combining the qualities of "m" with that of "o". In other words, "fertility - fire".... "fertile-fire"...... "fertile-energy"......"an energy that can produce"......"a productive energy"......"a purposeful action".

There is too much in Yoruba language than we know or are consciously mindful of. Therefore, in naming a town or a place of spiritual importance as you listed with those beginning with 'K", then consideration must be given to the purpose of that land and what quality is to be drawn to it. If it is to be used as a city of fortification and security, then the earth vowel must be combined with the k. If it is desired for scholarship and industry, then the air vowel must be added to the k, if it is desired to serve as the seat of an empire, then the fire vowel must be associated with this k.

Interesting facts on Yoruba linguistics. Where do you source your information, alagba? Very informative. If I get you right, it seems you believe the main Yoruba language originated from Offa or Old Oyo axis, is it?
I was thinking of a question, may I'll ask it on the other thread where you, Amor4ce and I have been contributing. Perhaps, I think it is equally important to ask it here...Do you think the Oyo empire is as old as the timeline attributed to it? If yes, why do we have a lot of ancient Hebrew kinship timeline in the Oyo history? Is this a coincidence or deliberate? I am of the opinion that the Oyo Kingdom isn't as old as credited to it...what is your view? I'll put this question on that thread too for open discussion.
Re: Is There Relationship Between Jerusalem And Yoruba by DuduNegro: 7:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
Let's just say I am a student of nature and what it teaches. wink

To make a delightful and healthy meal one must know how to manipulate fire and heat. To erect a strong building one must understand the properties of iron and concrete and in what measure and composition to mix them. To understand what Yoruba is one must not limit his study to the written narratives alone. Plenty of times I come across people who challenge my position with statements like " there are no historical documents to support what you say". People are unmindful of the fact that history exist in many forms beside writing. Every morning the Alaafin awakes to the beat of a drum. The notes of that beat is ancient and the morning ritual is ancient and is not in writing anywhere, so should we say this history does not exist because the notes have not been documented? This is just one example of how we steadily discourage scholarship into studies and knowledge of Yoruba. Another example is the Yoruba crown. Why is it conical, why the perched birds, why the facial and the markings?

I do not believe Yoruba language originated from Offa or Old Oyo axis but I do believe these places are where the first Yoruba settlers called home. Yoruba was an imported tongue, it settled in this axis. As people spread out their contact with others and environment affected their articulation of Yoruba.

Yes, I believe Oyo is an old empire from the context of the Soudanic politics alone. The first foothold of the Yorubas had to be in present day Kwara State and on the banks of the Niger. This was Old Oyo. From here they spread out North and South creating designated settlements based on social status or hierarchy and as well clans. The party that spread Southward was Yoruba and the ones that went Northward was Yauri. There were three columns in the Yoruba settlers party:

1. The Priest-King and his ministers (migrants from the AfroAsian Ile-Ife)
These ruling class settled on a ley-line on the earth's magnetic grid and consecrated it for worship. They named it after their ancestral home. called Ile-Ife. The beginning of creation.

There is a street in Lagos called "Docemo". This was Dosunmu in Yoruba corrupted by Europeans. The spelling of it was given by a Portuguese. After independence Yorubas did not correct the spelling and in fact, used that adultrated version in media publications. Nowadays also plenty Yoruba names on face book and in media have been adulterated to sound soft for articulation in english. Nineveh was an adulteration by writers who could not articulate ILE IFE in their mother tongue.

2. The second column would be the State-King. These are the political and democratic government institutions of the people. They also were in Ile Ife, but not for too long. The creation of State sovereingties dispersed them out to different lands where their rulership continues till today.

3. The Scribes. The deeds and acts and events of history as well the creeds and teachings and the customs of the people were documented by these people. The talking drum, the symbols, arts, casts, carvings, oral recitals, oriki, owe, ewi...and so on. These artisans were the custodians and preservers of the tongue. They are mostly the ones in the Offa, Oshogbo, Ogbomosho axis but they are generally distributed in the various lands. You find them in Idanre, Saki, Iperu.....just as you will find them in Offa or Ede.

(1) (Reply)

LMAO! Chinese Woman Married To A Yoruba Man Tells Her Exciting Story / PHOTOS From Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti / ..........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.