Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics (41391 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by nferyn(m): 8:50am On Jan 12, 2006
My wife's Edo and I do my best to inform myself about Edo culture, including the history of her people.

There seems to be quite some controversy on the origins of the respective Yoruba and Edo dynasties, especially the link between the Benin Oba dynasty and Ile Ife. The sources I have found so far are either old (A short History of Benin by Jacob Egharevba) or it's is impossible to trace the validity of these sources (internet).

I also would like to know the links in the different cultural practices. Are there any cultural anthropological studies available on the relations between the Edo and Yoruba peoples?

I would be very grateful if there were some skilled people over here that can help me out in my quest for knowledge.

Please try to refrain from ethnic chauvinism from either side, I want a historical account that is as reliable as possible.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by ododoman: 6:25pm On Jan 12, 2006
The history of these two tribes were not properly documented,but I was able to gather some stories about these two tribes.My Dad is from Bini and My Mum from Yoruba both of them are from Royal families.

These two tribes are related but the question is where are they From? History has it that they are cousins that migrated from South Egypt and they later parted way as the Bini's decided to go further East.

One other thing that kept them united till the fall of Bini Empire was the kingship.The First Ooni of Ife(Oduduwa) was a bini prince that was sentenced to death but the executioner did not slay him due to the likeness he has for the humble young prince.
The Prince Ekaladeran was later found in the jungle on chains by the Yoruba's who was waiting for the prophecy about their king being found in the jungle and the prince fits in.

On arriving at Ile-Ife the first word he uttered was Ede-duwa(Oduduwa) which translates in Bini I ran into wealth because he treated as a king from the jungle to the town and when he was about to be crowned he als used another word Ile-fe(Ile-Ife) in Benin I have ran into safety.

After many years there was no peace in the kingdom of igodomigodo(Bini Kingdom) after the death of the last Ogiso(Ogie or Oba) and after consulting an oracle they were told that until they return their prince that was led into the jungle to be killed but escaped there will no peace and they were told that he is now the King of Yorubaland.

An emissary was sent to beg and bring back their prince on getting there he was now old and he refused to come back having settled and has meet wealth(Uwa) and Safety(Fe). But he agreed to send one of his son's and that was Oranmiyan and that was how Oremiyan fathered the 1st Oba of Bini(Oba Eweka d 1st),before the fall of Benin Empire to the English the head of the Oba was taken to a sacred place in Ooni of Ife's palace for Burial and before the coronation of the Ooni a message is always sent to Bini.

These two tribes are related and even if history is re-written they will always be that link. It is never too late to make a change: do it now!

3 Likes

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Sesan2: 8:59pm On Jan 12, 2006
@ododoman

Although I know you mean no harm, I think it will be inappropriate to refer to the Yorubas as a tribe. It is a nation of many millions of people. An ethnic group may be more acceptable.

I think the more accepted narrative is that the first Oba of Benin was a Yoruba prince who left to form the city of Benin. There are a few books written on this but I do not have the details to hand. I will post when I have them.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the topic of recent.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by ijebuman(m): 3:17am On Jan 13, 2006
Sesan2:

Although I know you mean no harm, I think it will be inappropriate to refer to the Yorubas as a tribe. It is a nation of many millions of people. An ethnic group may be more acceptable.
Just to clarify, its not just the Yorubas, It applies to all groups in Nigeria, they're all ethnic groups not tribes. The word 'tribe' is a derogatory term.

Great topic  smiley

I think ododoman's account is a bit similar to what I've read as well, there seems to be various accounts of the relationship between the Edos and Yorubas, as a lot of the history was passed down orally its hard to tell myth from fact.

Most accounts claim the Edos migrated from the east (could be Egypt) and the present day settlement was founded by a man called Ere.
At a certain point in time (1300s) the cheifs impeached their leader and there was a lot of turmoil for some years. The cheifs then appealed to Ife to help them out. It is claimed the Yoruba prince Oranmiyan arrived and later married a local woman. Their son Eweka became the first Oba and the royal palace was built during his reign.

In the past when an Oba of benin dies, it was customary to send his head to ife to have a portrait cast made.

As regards to the 'Oduduwa' part i'm not too sure about ododoman's version as its quite different from what the Yorubas believe.

@ododoman
I was wondering if you knew a bit more about the the things that happen when the Oba dies, We stayed in Benin (late 70s) around the time the Oba died and i remember all the men had to shave their hair. Does this still happen ?
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by nferyn(m): 7:28am On Jan 13, 2006
@ododoman, Sesan2 & ijebuman

Thanks for the first input, especially the account ododoman gave is very helpful. I was asking the question, because I'm working on a project that would require me to have a historic account that is as accurate as possible. As I have some background in historical criticism (even though I'm not a historian), I can weigh the accounts on their merits, if I have access to primary sources.

Can any one of you point me to contacts that can help me on my way in my research

Thanks a lot already
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by gigitte(f): 4:13am On Feb 28, 2006
hello nferyn,
the relationship between the yorubas and the binis is hotly contested. most yoruba ppl from the seven towns (the ones originally descended from oduduwa) will tell you the binis come from them, while most binis will tell you otherwise. infact, the oba of the bini ppl, i forgot his name, i think it has ereuwa in it or sumn, the name of the book is sha ' i remain your humble servant' or something like that and he is a very highly respected figure, considered divine in some ways sef, and he wrote that the yorubas can from the binis i.e oduduwa was a bini prince. many a university professor disputed this claim and ppl have been arguing back and forth since then.

however, note that while the bini ppl constitute a part of edo state, the people descended from oduduwa, encompass a great part of lagos, ife etc etc , note that these ppl do not include various other yoruba sub groups like the ijebus, the egbas, the ekitis. so i would say that the smaller group broke off from the larger group. again note, bini is quite different from yoruba, in language respects in mean, in fact another group the itsekiri, have a language way similar to that of the yoruba ppl, i think they broke off from them.

this is what i learnt in school, lamurudu, a random man left saudi arabia or some middle eastern place like so because of the advent of islam, he wanted to worship his gods in peace. somehow he died and his son oduduwa got to ile ife and settled down, he had seven sons and they formed seven towns some of which include ketu and iddo, sha the last was oranmiyan who was the dude who founded the bini kingdom. note how my account is vastly different from the above postings

you can read the history of the yorubas by michael crowther i think, not sure if that is the true author

1 Like

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by gigitte(f): 4:16am On Feb 28, 2006
also ile ife is yoruba for house of love, it is not peculiar to a particular dialect
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Nosamega: 4:10pm On Sep 29, 2006
EDO'S and the YORUBA'S are two ethnic groups divinely United through the destiny of EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA). ODUDUWA (EKALADERHAN) was the only son (prince) of OGISO OWODO (The 36TH OGISO of the OGISO Dynasty) of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN).
The whole scenarios started more than a thousand years Ago in IGODOMIGODO ( Present day Benin City). The King who only had one male child (EKAKADERHAN) and tens of daughters was very disturbed because of his only Son. So he send delegate to enquire why  his wives could not have other male children. Among the delegate was one of the kings wife (ESAGHO) who had no child at all. On arrival and consultation The Oracle revealed  that it was the Kings wife (ESAGHO) who has been responsible for the king not having other male children through black magic hence she had none. The Oracle instructed that the woman should be used for sacrifice to the Gods so that the rest women can have male children.
On their way back to the Kings palace, ESAGHO confronted the other delegates and vowed that She will tell the King that she was Raped by the delegates, such offence attract death penalty. So she compel them to say it was EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) who was the cause of the problem. On their arrival, the message was delivered to the KING as compelled by ESAGHO. When The King heard the message,he was aggrieved but he cannot stop the Gods from executing it request. So EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) was sentenced to die as a sacrificial lamb for the rest of his father's wife to have male children as indicted by the wicked wife (ESAGHO) .
On the sacrificial day,the young lad (EKALADERHAN-ODUDUWA) was handed over to the Executioner and he was taking to the forest to be executed,but the executioner did not slay him but Brock the chain used in binding him into two because of the love and affection he had for the proficient young prince.The young prince later ran toward the western part of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN). After weeks of continuous roaming in the jungle, he find him self in UGHOTON (GWATO-This place is situated in the western riverine area of Bight of Benin).After a shot while in UGHOTON,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) realized that the place was a province of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) because the EDO language was spoken there. So he left the place and moved further west until he find himself in ILE-IFE.
During this period, ILE- IFE  was a conglomeration of principalities ruled over by smaller chiefs without any supreme ruler. OBATALA was one of the rulers in one of these principalities. At this same period, the YORUBA'S was constantly under attack by other rival tribes and they have been waiting for the Liberator King as prophesied by their Priest. On arrival,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) coexisted with the people of the newly found land (ILE-IFE). First he started as an iron smith (OGUN) which is the main profession and Deity of the people of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) , He was also into clothes making with cotton. It came to a time when ILE-IFE came under attack by their rival tribe and EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) home was also attacked. But unfortunately,the invaders met a fierce resistance from EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA).The prince fought with all his might arming himself with the tools he made for sales.The invaders were later defeated and chased out of the town. He later organized and equipped some hundred of YORUBA brave warriors with Iron weapons and leather shields and foot wears and invaded the land of the rivals Tribes. It was these series of battles that brought about EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) fame and recognition in ILE-IFE.
The leaders of ILE-IFE now invited EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) to their gathering and ask him who he was. He  gave his name as ODE-UWA (which translates in EDO *Path to Wealth*) He further told them that he is the son of OGIE-ISO (The King of the sky) . The word *OGIE-ISO* is the Ruling title of  Kings that rules IGODOMIGODO in those period) from the East . As they heard him,they quickly prostrated and shouted KABIKABI O because the YORUBA'S now believed he is the liberator king foretold by the Oracle.
He was made KING over ILE-IFE and was given a wife. He had one son,called OKANBI .OKANBI had EIGHT children (Onipopo of Popo, Onisabe of Sabe, Alara of Ilara, Ajero of Ijero, Orangun of Oke-Ila, Owa Obokun Ajibogun of Ijesaland and Oranmiyan) by his "legal" wife, and one (OOni) by his slave turned wife, named ORUNTO.
After many years there was no peace in the kingdom of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) after the death of the last OGISO ( OGISO-OWODO)  because the KING has no other male child to succeed him. There was feud between the chiefs of whom will rule as KING. The People was left without a king for decades of years with EVIAN( The great monster buster) as interim leader. It came to a time when the chief priest consulted the Divine God (OGHENE). The God instructed the priest through an Oracle to design a compass made of palm fronds.The spirit of the kings was invoked on the compass and immediately the compass moved towards the west trailing EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) path, The Prince whom they believe was still alive somewhere. Emissaries were sent along the compass. Few weeks later,the compass arrived at ILE-IFE and settled at the KING'S palace hovering at the entrance to the KING'S courtyard.
At the appearance of the KING,the compass swiftly moved the Bearer to the feet of OKANBI. During this time,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) was so old that he could no longer  come out of his DEN. His Son OKANBI was in charge of the people affairs and he attended to the visitors from the East.The emissaries  then delivered their message. after careful listening ,OKANBI  convey the message to his Father (EKALADERHAN-(ODUDUWA) .When EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) heard the message,he ask his son OKANBI to bring them in to his Den for a chat. During the Chat, EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) communicated with the emissaries in EDO language.He was so please to see his people once again after so many years in Exile in ILE-IFE. The emissaries requested the KING to comeback Home (IGODMIGODO) or ask  one of his grand Sons to come along with them to rule as their KING. EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) who was already too old burst into tiers and told his chiefs that the visitors were from his fathers land (IGODOMIGODO-BENIN) in the East.
Remembering what led to his departure from his father land,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA)  decline their request because he had no trust on them because of  what happened to him decades ago. But the emissaries begged with repentance and sincerity that they are changed people of a new generation. EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) now gave them an option that they should return back to IGODOMIGODO(BENIN) with three LICE .He ask them to train the LICE for three years,that if the LICE can survive with them for three years,then he will give them one of his Grandson. The emissaries went back Home with Great Hope and kept the LICE in the hair of a Slave for three years. Three years later,the Emissaries shaved off the hair of the slave and removed the LICE in it. This time,the LICE has Increased from three to hundreds. The LICE was kept in a container and taking to ILE-IFE by the emissaries.
On their arrival,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) has already passed away. His Son OKANBI who has been acting instead of his Father (EKALADERHAN-(ODUDUWA) attended to them.When OKANBI saw the hundreds of LICE,he was convince that the people has really changed and his appointed Son will be in safe hands. So he ask his son ORANMIYAN to go with them. OKANBI felt that the troublesome people could be dealt by a warrior like ORANMIYAN who has, before then, had repeatedly proved his mettle. He believed that ORANMIYAN would be able to do the assignment and put the fear of IRASHA in the feuding Chiefs. ORANMIYAN was a great, valiant warrior, the Yoruba people of his era used to describe him as a true son of ODUDUWA after his grand father who was the first towering warrior in YORUBA LAND,He (ORANMIYAN) was the DE facto ruler carrying out war activities and defending ILE-IFE .
On arrival at IGODOMIGODO (BENIN),ORANMIYAN's war like acts put the City in order. ORANMIYAN was in IGODOMIGODO for only few years. But he never could stay for ever as a result of the strange disputes and cases he presides among the people which come to him. Such cases which he has never  heard or witness in ILE-IFE. He exclaimed with great puzzle by calling the people ILE-IBINU (Place of problem/quarel). The word which was later corrupted as UBINU and later to BENIN by the PORTUGUESE (1453AD.). He had a son called EWEKA by the Daughter of OGIE-EGO of EGO . As his adventurous spirit took the better part of him, he installed his son EWEKA and returned to ILE-IFE with the hope of becoming king. On his return to ILE-IFE, It dawned on ORANMIYAN  that he could not ascend the throne with his father's support for his brother, ONNI (OKANBI concubine's Son). He therefore left with his warriors towards North West to found OYO-AJAKA-Ajaka (pressent day OYO) and became the first Alaafin of OYO. His Son EWEKA ruled as the first OBA of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN)  and a new Era of OBA DYNASTY begin to this day of OBA EREDIAWA (Current 38th Oba Of Benin). IF YOUR LANGUAGE RECOGNISES MONEY AS *IGHO* or EGHO*,.YOU ARE FROM IGODOMIGODO (BENIN CITY).THE PRESENCE OF YORUBA IN EVERY PART OF WESTERN NIGERIA CAME UP AS A RESULT OF ODUDUWA'S OCCUPATION AND HIS DECENDANTS CONQUEST ,NOT BY BIRTHS. THE CONQUERED PEOPLE WERE FORCED TO LEARN YORUBA CULTURE AND TRADITION. THIS LATER BECAME PART OF THEM CENTURIES LATER FOR THEY WERE ALL UNDER THE RULE OF ODUDUWAS SONS AND HIS PROMINENT WARRIORS. THE PRESENTS OF EDO PEOPLE IN ALL PARTS OF THE MIDWESTERN NIGERIA CAME AS A RESULT OF BIRTHS AND MIGRATION DUE TO OVER POPULATION IN THE CENTRAL CITY OF IGODOMIGODO (BENIN CITY). PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE IN YOUR FRIENDS LIST AND ADDRESS BOOK.  OBA GHA TO KPEREE, ISE, compiled by Nosakhare Edwin Idehen.

3 Likes

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by angel101(f): 11:32am On Mar 22, 2007
i doubt that we will ever be able to agree on this subject. however, there is no denying that there is a strong link.

@sesan
I was wondering if you knew a bit more about the the things that happen when the Oba dies, We stayed in Benin (late 70s) around the time the Oba died and i remember all the men had to shave their hair. Does this still happen ?

Lol, well no Oba has died since then so we will have to wait and see. i have heard though that people are beheaded and buried along with the Oba as well!  wink

1 Like

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by ajadrage: 1:19pm On Jun 03, 2007
Some guy posted this on my blogger http://greatedo..com

I hope it does some good to your enquiries, and angel101, I hope that tradition could have been the case in those ancient times, but this is the 21st Century and the sitting Oba is learned, I doubt if his royal majesty would subscribe to such practices today. Anyway, enjoy the discourse. You check out the above link for some more on Edo people.

"The first Oba of Benin was a Yoruba prince, that is a fact of history that will come to be accepted in due time, but there is no dispute as to the first Ooni of Ife (and the founder of the Yorubas as they are known today in historical analysis and study) who was a Bini prince. The history of these two nations located in the western coast of Africa are as related as siblings from the same womb.

Selfishly, claimants of ethno/tribal nationalities propose sentimentalities as to the origins of these two nations who asserted themselves creditably at a time where contact with the west was nonexistent or at most minimal. The Binis and Yorubas were companions in the same migratory journey from the north of the continent and as some scholars of history would conclude settled in the region they now find themselves at almost the same time in history.

It is significant to point out here the similarities that they share in their mythology and legends, moreso as they believe in similar spiritual beliefs of a coterie of deities with one supreme being at the head.

However, there is a salient point to be made in the sense that there were in existence already indigenous peoples in this region although these were few and scatterd with no form of a hierarchy of leadership or political/cultural organisation, but the superiority of the people from the north who most believed are a direct descendant from Noah (Shem, who had a dark skin like Seth the son of Adam) contributed in no small way to the sophistication of the political and social organisation of these peoples.

The story of a flooded, virgin infant world bear witness to this and according to the Bini account, the three sons of Noah are the forces of good, evil and earths inhabitants.

Prior to the advent of the Obaship, the Ogisos were saddled with the responsibility of overseeing the governance of the peoples and like all civilisations would evolve to a system of unitary leadership. This was to occur soon after the yearning of the people saw to the ascendency of the primogeniture system of monarchy with the Oba at the head. However, while the Ogisos were thriving, the people further west were at a stage where political organisation was at it's infancy which led to the need for a central authority that conveniently provided itself with the coming of the hitherto Bini prince condemned to die but divinely let free by his executors to fulfill a long expected prophecy of the Yorubas.

It is this first Ooni of Ife that sent his son from a Yoruba woman to commence the monarchy in Benin, and this monarchy has lasted till the present day.

There is an ethno/tribal struggle for supremacy amongst contemporary scholars of these two nations albeit misdirected, up to the point that the Yorubas claim ancestry with the Itsekiris of the delta denying the bond that ties them with Benin. It is worthy of note however that rational thinking contemporary scholars with no room for bias have begun a process for the study of what binds these two peoples together and not the divisive elements which tend to create bad blood. This is a study that should throw more light on the origins of these two peoples.

It is this hope that should see the strenghtening of ties between these two great African civilisations instead of the constant bickerings that have been fuelled by historical accounts originating from European historians, thus unduly influencing the approach to the study of these peoples by generations of indigenous history and anthropology scholars.

Our mumu don do"

2 Likes

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by ono(m): 10:15pm On Aug 05, 2008
Interesting read.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by tpia: 10:35pm On Aug 05, 2008
I found nosamega's post very difficult to read because he didnt use any paragraphs, commas, or periods. undecided

Most of the people posting here are Bini. I guess few Yoruba people noticed the thread.

And @ gigitte: Ile Ife does not mean House of Love. Ife can mean a lot of things. It could mean wide as well. ie a wide or large area.

As far as I know, there has been little indepth research on Oduduwa's origins. All most people know is that he came from the east- either Saudi Arabia, or somewhere else in the middle east.

The official history says his father was killed by Islamists, and Oduduwa himself migrated out with his followers rather than convert to Islam. Dont know how accurate this version is.

Personally, I think there may be a Sudanese link between either Oduduwa or the original settlers he met when he arrived in western Nigeria.

The Bini claims that he was a prince from Edo, isnt too clear, really. Especially in the absence of concrete evidence.

Though one has to wonder why Oduduwa's son was sent to Benin to rule there. That shows some prior interaction between the Yorubas and Binis.

little bit about him on wiki:

Oduduwa, phonetically written as Odùduwà, and sometimes contracted as Odudua, Oòdua, is generally held among the Yoruba to be the ancestor of the crowned Yoruba kings.

Oral history of the Oyo-Yoruba recount the coming of Oduduwa from the east, sometimes understood by Muslim sources as the "vicinity" or direction of Mecca, but more likely signifying the region of Ekiti and Okun sub-ethnics in northeastern Yorubaland/central Nigeria. A strong theory among the Yoruba is that Oduduwa came from the region of Egypt or Nubia and may have been fleeing from religious persecution or invasion. Oduduwa is presumed to have entered the Ekiti-Yoruba and Okun-Yoruba region. This region is near the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers, and is where the Yoruba language is presumed to have separated from related ethno-linguistic groups like Igala, Igbo, and Edo.

Most importantly is that King Oduduwa was one of the founding rulers of the kingdom of Ife in 1100 CE. The kingdom of Ife is the original Yoruba kingdom and thus all crowned Yoruba kings claim descent from this historic figure.

The Ife oral traditions, on the other hand, tell that Odùduwà was the son of the supreme god Olodumare or Olorun, and was sent by him from heaven to create the earth. (Another version of this myth ascribes these episodes to Obatala, casting Oodua, as an usurper). Descending from the heavens via a chain let down to Ile Ife, Obatala brought with him a cockeral, a pigeon, and a calabash full of dirt. After throwing the soil upon the waters, he set the cockeral and pigeon on the pile of dirt who, in turn, scratched and scattered it around to create the rest of dry land that became the Earth's surface.

Odùduwà subsequently became one of the first kings of Ife, and then sent his sons out with crowns to rule over all of the other Yorùbá kingdoms, which is why all royal Yorùbá lineages claim direct descent from Odùduwà and refer to the Ooni of Ife as first among equals (popularly rendered in the Latin phrase primus inter pares in Nigeria).

Ile Ife continues to be considered the spiritual capital of the Yoruba.,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oduduwa
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by NegroNtns(m): 10:43pm On Aug 08, 2008
Let's remember when discussing Oduduwa's ancestry to make mention of his father, Al-Mahrud (Lamarudu).
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Ndipe(m): 9:05pm On Aug 23, 2008
http://www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/orisha/oduduwa.htm

The above link tries to explain the legend held by the Binis on the lineage of Oduduwa. After reading it, I am inclined to believe the Bini story.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by brownbonno(m): 11:54am On Aug 24, 2008
Link below gives an account similar to the oral history for the 1st respondent-

http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/osahon.htm
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Ndipe(m): 9:34pm On Aug 24, 2008
@brownbonno, those are just myths, if you want to know the truth about the creation of the world, read Genesis.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by bawomolo(m): 5:27am On Aug 31, 2008
Ndipe:

@brownbonno, those are just myths, if you want to know the truth about the creation of the world, read Genesis.

that's a myth too
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 31, 2008
bawomolo:

that's a myth too
you're definitely back with your religious banter I consider them as jokes
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by bawomolo(m): 5:37am On Aug 31, 2008
yeye woman am supposed to be doing the stalking. fi mi sile wink
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 31, 2008
mii fi e sile.

am just stating the obvious.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by connkg(m): 5:17pm On Sep 01, 2008
Please, I do not want to create confusion, but I would like to ask:

How do present-day ibos relate?

"Egho" sounds like "ego", meaning money in ibo language.
Nosamega, you saying something there?

No offence, please. Just say what you know.

I'm learning AND nodding. Naija go make am!
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2008
Hello,

Ifa Oracle explains in detail, the origin of the Yoruba's and their King. No matter what any scholar or historian says, the accounts according to Ifa oracle is incontrovertible.

1 Like

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by WAZOBIARE: 1:32am On Aug 12, 2010
[b][b]EDO'S and the YORUBA'S are two ethnic groups divinely United through the destiny of EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA).

ODUDUWA (EKALADERHAN) was the only son (prince) of OGISO OWODO (The 31ST OGISO of the OGISO Dynasty) of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN).
The whole scenarios started more than a thousand years Ago in IGODOMIGODO ( Present day Benin City).

Ogiso Owodo ( Igodomigodo The King) who only had one male child (EKAKADERHAN) and tens of daughters was very disturbed because of his only Son. So he send delegate to enquire why his wives could not have other male children. Among the delegate was one of the kings wife (ESAGHO) who had no child at all. On arrival and consultation The Oracle revealed that it was the Kings wife (ESAGHO) who has been responsible for the king not having other male children through black magic hence she had none. The Oracle instructed that the woman should be used for sacrifice to the Gods so that the rest women can have male children.

On their way back to the Kings palace, ESAGHO confronted the other delegates and vowed that She will tell the King that she was despoiled by the delegates, such offence attract death penalty. So she compel them to say it was EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) who was the cause of the problem. On their arrival, the message was delivered to the KING as compelled by ESAGHO. When The King heard the message,he was aggrieved but he cannot stop the Gods from executing it request. So EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) was sentenced to die as a sacrificial lamb for his father's wife to have male children as indicted by the wicked wife (ESAGHO) .

On the sacrificial day,the young lad (EKALADERHAN-ODUDUWA) was handed over to the Executioner and he was taking to the forest to be executed,but the executioner did not slay him but Brock the chain used in binding him into two because of the love and affection he had for the proficient young prince.The young prince later ran toward the western part of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN). After weeks of continuous roaming in the jungle, he find him self in UGHOTON (GWATO-This place is situated in the western riverine area of Bight of Benin).After a shot while in UGHOTON,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) realized that the place was a province of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) because the EDO language was spoken there. So he left the place and moved further west until he find himself in ILE-IFE.

During this period, ILE- IFE was a conglomeration of principalities ruled over by smaller chiefs without any supreme ruler. OBATALA was one of the rulers in one of these principalities. At this same period, the YORUBA'S was constantly under attack by other rival tribes and they have been waiting for the Liberator King as prophesied by their Priest. On arrival,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) coexisted with the people of the newly found land (ILE-IFE). First he started as an iron smith (OGUN) which is the main profession and Deity of the people of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) , He was also into clothes making with cotton.

It now came to a time when ILE-IFE came under attack by their rival tribe and EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) home was also attacked. But unfortunately,the invaders met a fierce resistance from EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA).The prince fought with all his might arming himself with the tools he made for sales.The invaders were later defeated and chased out of the town. He later organized and equipped some hundred of YORUBA brave warriors with Iron weapons and leather shields and foot wears and invaded the land of the rivals Tribes. It was these series of battles that brought about EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) fame and recognition in ILE-IFE.

Having gained recongnition, The leaders of ILE-IFE now invited EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) to their gathering and ask him who he was. He gave his name as ODE-UWA (which translates in EDO *Path to Wealth*) He further told them that he is the son of OGIE-ISO (The King of the sky) . The word *OGIE-ISO* is the Ruling title of Kings that rules IGODOMIGODO in those period) from the East . As they heard him,they quickly prostrated and shouted KABIESI O because the YORUBA'S now believed he is the liberator king foretold by the Oracle.
He was made KING over ILE-IFE and was given a wife. He had one son,called OKANBI .OKANBI had EIGHT children (Oranmiyan of Oyo, Onipopo of Popo, Onisabe of Sabe, Alara of Ilara, Ajero of Ijero, Orangun of Oke-Ila, and Owa Obokun Ajibogun of Ijesaland ) by his "legal" wife, and one (OOni) by his slave turned wife, named ORUNTO.

After many years there was no peace in the kingdom of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) after the death of the last OGISO ( OGISO-OWODO) because the KING has no other male child to succeed him. There was feud between the chiefs of whom will rule as KING. The People was left without a king for decades of years with EVIAN( The great monster buster) as interim leader. It came to a time when the chief priest consulted the Divine God (OGHENE). The God instructed the priest through an Oracle to design a compass made of palm fronds.The spirit of the kings was invoked on the compass and immediately the compass moved towards the west trailing EKALADERHAN'S (ODUDUWA) path, The Prince whom they believe was still alive somewhere. Emissaries were sent along the compass. Few weeks later,the compass arrived at ILE-IFE and settled at the KING'S palace hovering at the entrance to the KING'S courtyard.

At the appearance of the KING,the compass swiftly moved the Bearer to the feet of OKANBI. During this time,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) was so old that he could no longer come out of his DEN. His Son OKANBI was in charge of the people affairs and he attended to the visitors from the East.The emissaries then delivered their message. after careful listening ,OKANBI convey the message to his Father (EKALADERHAN-(ODUDUWA) .When EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) heard the message,he ask his son OKANBI to bring them in to his Den for a chat. During the Chat, EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) communicated with the emissaries in EDO language. He was so please to see his people once again after so many years in Exile in ILE-IFE. The emissaries requested the KING to comeback Home (IGODMIGODO) or ask one of his grand Sons to come along with them to rule as their KING. EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) who was already too old burst into tiers and told his chiefs that the visitors were from his fathers land (IGODOMIGODO-BENIN) in the East.

Remembering what led to his departure from his father land,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) decline their request because he had no trust on them because of what happened to him decades ago. But the emissaries begged with repentance and sincerity that they are changed people of a new generation. EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) now gave them an option that they should return back to IGODOMIGODO(BENIN) with three LICE .He ask them to train the LICE for three years,that if the LICE can survive with them for three years,then he will give them one of his Grandson. The emissaries went back Home with Great Hope and kept the LICE in the hair of a Slave for three years. Three years later,the Emissaries shaved off the hair of the slave and removed the LICE in it. This time,the LICE has Increased from three to hundreds. The LICE was kept in a container and taking to ILE-IFE by the emissaries.

On their arrival,EKALADERHAN (ODUDUWA) has already passed away. His Son OKANBI who has been acting instead of his Father (EKALADERHAN-(ODUDUWA) attended to them.When OKANBI saw the hundreds of LICE,he was convince that the people has really changed and his appointed Son will be in safe hands. So he ask his son ORANMIYAN to go with them. OKANBI felt that the troublesome people could be dealt by a warrior like ORANMIYAN who has, before then, had repeatedly proved his mettle. He believed that ORANMIYAN would be able to do the assignment and put the fear of IRASHA in the feuding Chiefs. ORANMIYAN was a great, valiant warrior, the Yoruba people of his era used to describe him as a true son of ODUDUWA after his grand father who was the first towering warrior in YORUBA LAND,He (ORANMIYAN) was the DE facto ruler carrying out war activities and defending ILE-IFE.

On arrival at IGODOMIGODO (BENIN),ORANMIYAN's war like acts put the City in order. ORANMIYAN was in IGODOMIGODO for only few years. But he never could stay for ever as a result of the strange disputes and cases he presides among the people which come to him. Such cases which he has never heard or witness in ILE-IFE. He exclaimed with great puzzle by calling the people ILE-IBINU (Place of problem/quarel). The word which was later corrupted as UBINU and later to BENIN by the PORTUGUESE (1453AD.). He had a son called EWEKA by the Daughter of OGIE-EGO of EGO . As his adventurous spirit took the better part of him, he installed his son EWEKA and returned to ILE-IFE with the hope of becoming king.

On his return to ILE-IFE, It dawned on ORANMIYAN that he could not ascend the throne with his father's support for his brother, ONNI (OKANBI concubine's Son). He therefore left with his warriors towards North West to found OYO-AJAKA-Ajaka (pressent day OYO) and became the first Alaafin of OYO. His Son EWEKA ruled as the first OBA of IGODOMIGODO (BENIN) and a new Era of OBA DYNASTY begin to this day of OBA EREDIAWA (Current 38th Oba Of Benin).

IF YOUR LANGUAGE RECOGNISES MONEY AS *IGHO* or EGHO*,.YOU ARE FROM IGODOMIGODO (BENIN CITY).THE PRESENCE OF YORUBA IN EVERY PART OF WESTERN NIGERIA CAME UP AS A RESULT OF ODUDUWA'S OCCUPATION AND HIS DECENDANTS CONQUEST ,NOT BY BIRTHS. THE CONQUERED PEOPLE WERE FORCED TO LEARN YORUBA CULTURE AND TRADITION. THIS LATER BECAME PART OF THEM CENTURIES LATER FOR THEY WERE ALL UNDER THE RULE OF ODUDUWAS SONS AND HIS PROMINENT WARRIORS. THE PRESENTS OF EDO PEOPLE IN ALL PARTS OF THE MIDWESTERN NIGERIA CAME AS A RESULT OF BIRTHS AND MIGRATION DUE TO OVER POPULATION IN THE CENTRAL CITY OF IGODOMIGODO (BENIN CITY). PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE IN YOUR FRIENDS LIST AND ADDRESS BOOK. OBA GHA TO KPEREE, ISE. Curtesy Nosakhare Edwin Idehen
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by tpiah: 2:08am On Aug 12, 2010
i'm starting to wonder if the ekaladerhan myth was started simply to counter the ancient traditions linking the current bini dynasty's origins to ife.

we all know everybody is rewriting history now.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by tpiah: 12:13am On Sep 11, 2010
can anyone place oduduwa in a specific time frame?

valid links, etc.

i'm just curious and trying to reconcile some things.

plz note i said valid?
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Obiagu1(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2010
Nosamega's account seems more like the true history and that explains why a Yoruba prince could rule over the Binis.
Oranmiyan didn't conquer the Binis for that to happen which makes the story very very plausible.

Fact, Yoruba and Bini have no common history or migration hence the two languages are very dissimilar and the physical appearance of both peoples are very dissimilar too.
Their connection ends with the rulership and nothing more. They are very different people.

That account equally explains the myth by some that Oduduwa fell from the sky since Yorubas didn't know his origin.
The East in question, to me, is not the Middle East but east of Yoruba land which points towards Bini.

Every other account doesn't make sense.

4 Likes

Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Gamine(f): 8:07pm On Sep 13, 2010
When it comes down to the Uneme, there are actually Five Typologies of their Origins
The first two deal with The Origins of the 'Edo' from which the Uneme descended.

1. Origin in heaven
2. Ife origin
3. Origin in a 'small' district district between Lagos and Benin
4. Origin and Migration from Igun, a distric in Benin
5. Origin in Obadan near Benin

This theory claims that a man Akpama came down from heaven,
he was begotten by Osanobulah. He settled in a place called Igohigohmi
A female was later sent down, they got married and gave birth to five sons and a daughter.
'Odion, Erhame, Iyiomhe, Uzannu, Imiava and Edo' Edo is said to have produced the 'Lineage of Ogiso'
Since then, The Ogiso have been the rulers of Ancient Benin.

The popular Oduduwa story

The other ones relate directly to the Uneme people.

Wazobiare/Nosamega's account makes a whole lot of sense. The Uneme call money 'Ikpigho'
There is even much more evidence now, that the 'Edo' people (including the Uneme) emerged
from the Niger-Benue confluence area, not from Ile-Efe.

Any story that attempts to amalgamate the Edos' and Yoruba are false.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by spikedcylinder: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2010
Interesting read especially for me that because I'm culturally ambiguous.
When did the term 'tribe' become derogatory though?
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by tpiah: 3:09pm On Sep 14, 2010
Any story that attempts to amalgamate the Edos' and Yoruba are false.

the facts speak otherwise.

in any case, different Edo groups have different histories.

all were united under Benin empire, hence the reason why they're all considered Edo today.

the direct official connection between Ife and Edo is through Benin, even though other groups also had prior contact with the southwest, through migration and the likes.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Gamine(f): 4:04pm On Sep 14, 2010
tpiah:

the facts speak otherwise.

in any case, different Edo groups have different histories.

all were united under Benin empire, hence the reason why they're all considered Edo today.

the direct official connection between Ife and Edo is through Benin, even though other groups also had prior contact with the southwest, through migration and the likes.

I don't think I ever implied there was no connection with the Yoruba and 'Edo's'

The only fact here, is that the 'Edo' DID NOT descend (by blood) from Oduduwa
or any Yorubic Lineage for that matter
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by tpiah: 5:07pm On Sep 14, 2010
^^i dont recall anyone saying EDO descended from oduduwa.

The BENIN MONARCHY on the other hand, DO NOT deny their links to oduduwa. They simply say oduduwa was originally bini, that's all. If a bini prince called ekaladerhan was actually the oduduwa who ruled Ife, is a topic for another day.

Oduduwa was simply sent to build empires by unifying the people in certain regions, and that's what he did. Same way Usman dan fodio established the sokoto caliphate and united northern nigeria.

the people in edo state have their different origins from all over nigeria and beyond- no one is disputing that.
Re: Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics by Gamine(f): 5:25pm On Sep 14, 2010
^^ You don't have to recall, Just re-read
netsurf:

Hello,

Ifa Oracle explains in detail, the origin of the Yoruba's and their King. No matter what any scholar or historian says, the accounts according to Ifa oracle is incontrovertible.

Funny enough from my current research I have begun to see the importance of the Ifa Oracle, these things are really no joke.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bride Price: Man Slams African Parents, Says "I'm Not Paying" / Wife Of Olu Of Warri, Olori Atuwatshe 111 Shines On Cover Of VGlamour Magazine / FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.