Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? (5325 Views)

Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar / Naira Falls To 325 On Dollar Shortage -punch / Naira Situation Worsens, Falls To N270/$ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by buJu234: 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2013
this has just confirm the double economic system in Nigeria.:-

(1) the one for the elites (big big men; politicians; cabals etc)--- these are the ones whose inflation rate has fallen to 9%. they are d ones that talk to the world on behalf of the masses; they are the one that CBN used to calculate their GDP

(2) the one for the masses ( the average Nigerians over 99.9% of the population)----> these group has never seen inflation gone down in their lives before; or have u seen the price of garri modue gone down b4?? or have u seen the no. of unemployment decreased b4?
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Adanyebe(m): 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2013
GOOD SIGNS OF END TIME
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Dee60: 4:36pm On Feb 19, 2013
Does government have any plan or strategy to stimulate this economy? Why wont price levels fall when people are hardly buying? This is not due to any new efficiency in the system but just due to panic selling due to very low purchasing power. Basic.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by theripper: 4:37pm On Feb 19, 2013
Don't really understand much of this Economics jargon but does this mean that the purchasing power has increased?
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Tonytonic(m): 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
::Andrew:::

i dey tells u.u wosky o.bend down low tongue
::Andrew:::

i dey tells u.u wosky o.bend down low
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by watchindelta(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2013
strange country on strange land.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by kiyosaki1(m): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2013
Adanyebe: Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Falls to 9%

Nigeria’s Consumer Price Index fell to 9 per cent in January from 12 per cent in December last year. Data released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), showed a decline in the food price sub-index, which fell to 10.1 from 10.2 per cent in the period under review.

consecutive month of a decline in prices since September 2012, owing to floods and other market forces.

The bureau also expects the economy to expand 6.8 per cent this year while inflation is forecast to average 9.8 per cent this year.

Economists are forecasting a 7.3 per cent growth in 2014, 6.9 per cent in 2015 and 6.6 per cent in 2016.

Meanwhile, this is coming as the World Bank foresees Nigeria’s inflation rate easing to single digit this year and credit expansion to the private sector especially with banks’ recovery.

The bank said inflation may be tamed this year especially if the possibility of flooding is reduced and the price of food drops.

Throughout 2012, the country’s consumer inflation remained in double digits owing to increase in fuel prices, global food prices and the floods which affected crops.

They expect a boost in economic activities and credit expansion to the private sector.
http://naijafreakynews..com/2013/02/nigerias-inflation-rate-falls-to-9-percent.html
In Aso rock?
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
The sheer ignorance being displayed in this forum would have been comical grin if it weren't so pathetic. cry

What is inflation? It is the percentage increase in the general price level. When the NBS says that inflation has fallen to 9%, they're simply saying that prices are rising AT A LOWER RATE than before. They're not saying that prices are falling.

Choi!!!

4 Likes

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by HAH: 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2013
I normally make use of such index for investment decision, any business am investing must be above the inflation rate plus profit.

I recently went to a bank to fix some money and were giving me one ridiculous rate as interest to cut the long story short I ended up giving investment lecture to the bankers on the use of inflation rate while investing any money.

Any money being deposited in a fixed account should be above inflation rate if not you will definitely lose money because of inflation and time value of money. Assuming you want to invest 1 million naira if inflation is 9% demand for 9%+WHT(10%)+profit.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by MARKREN: 5:01pm On Feb 19, 2013
Inflation rate did not fall to 9% we should stop spreading this propaganda. Average inflation rate still remains at 11.9 percent. What they are referring to as "9%" is the "rate of change from the month of Jan 2013 as against the month Jan 2012".There is no "real improvement" in Inflation in Nigeria. Economists & statisticians will understand this better.

As soon as one "Jankara" Financial Services House sent this report in their weekly bulletins, I knew something was fishy about their report and it was only a matter of time before the ignorant public latched onto it, for & against.

The report that published this is mischievous and misleading. My only problem is whether it was deliberate (which makes you wonder who sponsored it) or not (in which case smacks gross incompetence. I worry for the kind of financial advice they give to their clients)
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by kiiababs: 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2013
Reduced on paper u mean??
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by sunkoye: 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2013
naijacutee: I wonder if this was noticeable among the general public.
wen inflation reduces(as price falls), I belive supply iS greater dan demand.which is as a result of increase in production. Such increase is expected wen the employment and interest rate is favourable.av nt seen anytin near this basic economics. FG....wia did u get ur statistics?
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by BarryX(m): 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
HNosegbe: The sheer ignorance being displayed in this forum would have been comical grin if it weren't so pathetic. cry

What is inflation? It is the percentage increase in the general price level. When the NBS says that inflation has fallen to 9%, they're simply saying that prices are rising AT A LOWER RATE than before. They're not saying that prices are falling.

Choi!!!
So.. Thanks for the clarification sha ... What about GDP growth they forecasted? Don't blame Nigerians for UNDERSTANDING and subsequent bashing of these lies-filled government agencies and advisers ..
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by asudan: 6:53pm On Feb 19, 2013
Scarpon: Abeg what is the meaning of Inflation Rates, am a learner ooo.
general increase in price of goods and service.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by taharqa: 6:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
Dee60: Does government have any plan or strategy to stimulate this economy? Why wont price levels fall when people are hardly buying? This is not due to any new efficiency in the system but just due to panic selling due to very low purchasing power. Basic.
See, there are alot of fooolish comments here, born out of Real Ignorance, but yrs tk d cake. Hands down....abeg, where were u when yr mates were going to dem Secondary skuls??

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by rman: 7:05pm On Feb 19, 2013
What they are simply telling us is that there is still inflation (prices of goods are still going up),but the rate at which they go up have only dropped or slowed down to 9%.

So, it is some kind of good news.

Prices will still go up, a few more people will just be able to keep up with it.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
Wow! The level of education on this forum is so wack. Alright let me break it down in terms that will benefit your bank account. If you've got extra cash then throw it into the stock market, cos now is the best time to get in cos yields from bonds, and other financial instruments are poor, and eyes are now on the NSE.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2013
taharqa: See, there are alot of fooolish comments born out of Real Ignorance here, but yrs tk d cake. Hands down....abeg, where were u when yr mates were going to dem Secondary skuls??
U got me cracking real hard with laughter. No correlation in the dumbass post at all.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by ozolity(m): 8:52pm On Feb 19, 2013
uihebom: anyone who believe dis can also believe that Jesus Christ just arrive Lagos with british Airways flight from london . Jokers
. While use Jesus for a joke on what u dont know about?

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: Now, this is a confirmation that this forum is over-populated by nincompoops.

LOL very funny. Meanwhile, MODs naijacutee and FOD, may god punish your parents heavily for banning me from posting in this section. Una mama and pikin no well u hear. IGIOTS

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 19, 2013
Am everywhere and unbannable. Ban me and ur first child will fall sick throughout the period of my ban.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by yertyr(m): 11:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
HNosegbe: The sheer ignorance being displayed in this forum would have been comical grin if it weren't so pathetic. cry

Choi!!!

guy, thank you... I have been reading d comment made here and I had wondered how nairaland had come to amass this huge numba of nitwits.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by occam(m): 5:36am On Feb 20, 2013
why are folks even analyzing this useless number? Once in a while this incompetent govt and their goons throw out numbers just for the heck of it. And to

Fact is the price of petrol, diesel, garri, rice, okada fare, bread (cassava & wheat), ponmo, dried fish, tomato etc is still rising. So what are we talking about here?

GEJ is just polluting this country with toxic fumes.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Ezegozie(m): 7:32am On Feb 20, 2013
ocman: so should we cry or laugh?

none of the above. Go and hug transformer
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Adurangba(f): 7:43am On Feb 20, 2013
but when they say inflation has risen, these same people will believe and begin to talk crap economic theories, but because they say its fallen, they find it hard to believe.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by greaterlove(m): 8:09am On Feb 20, 2013
Adura_ngba: but when they say inflation has risen, these same people will believe and begin to talk crap economic theories, but because they say its fallen, they find it hard to believe.
My sister we claim to know so much but we know so little. I have laughed heavily because of some of the comments here, and tomorrow we will be the first to blame government when majority of nigerian youths do not understand something as simple as inflation why won't politicians take us for a ride.
@ topic, its a good development, I pray it drops more so that interest rates on loans will also drop too.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Hardfact: 8:35am On Feb 20, 2013
It can as well "fall" to 0%. Govt agencies must spare us all those jargons. To the common man on the Nigerian street things aint getting any better.
Re: Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? by Hardfact: 8:41am On Feb 20, 2013
greaterlove:
My sister we claim to know so much but we know so little. I have laughed heavily because of some of the comments here, and tomorrow we will be the first to blame government when majority of nigerian youths do not understand something as simple as inflation why won't politicians take us for a ride.
@ topic, its a good development, I pray it drops more so that interest rates on loans will also drop too.
It's simply the pulse of the people. Usually after these figures, the overall outcome of their efforts' still negative.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Zenith Bank Real Owner: History Of Zenith Bank / How To Register A New Private Company In Nigeria At Corporate Affairs Commission / A Trip To The Proposed Gelegele Seaport in Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.