Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong (7947 Views)

EFCC Probes Centenary City Project / In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! / Insulting The Admin Is Totally Uncivilized And Uncalled For. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 20, 2013

• Vows to resist proposed fuel tax

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola yesterday faulted the centenary celebration by the Federal Government. Fashola also vowed that the state government would defy any plan by the Federal Government to tax petrol through the FERMA Act.

He spoke at a public lecture in commemoration of the 80th birthday anniversary of the former Federal Commissioner of Works and Housing, Alhaji Femi Okunnu.

Also at the celebration were former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, former Governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos State and the former Commonwealth Secretary-General, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, who extolled Okunnu’s virtues and the role he played in the country’s development.

Speaking at the lecture held at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, NIIA, Lagos, Fashola queried the rationale behind the celebration of the 1914 amalgamation, which was done without consultation by the colonial lords.

He said: “What is the historical benefit of celebrating the day and year that a colonial Governor General merged us together without consultation in a bondage that lasted 46 years; until October 1st, 1960.

“I raised this question because I really seek answers and understanding because we have never celebrated the amalgamation day or the 99th year of amalgamation. So did the centenary just become attractive?

“My worry today is that after we rolled out the drums in 2010 to celebrate 50 years of freedom from colonial rule; why then is the country celebrating amalgamation day? And this worry is heightened because I have been privileged to read the confidential memo by Lord Lugard containing the proposal on the amalgamation of Nigeria submitted in May 1913. It seems clear that the imperial interests were more of the compelling reasons rather than our interest.

“I think we should ask ourselves, which other African state has celebrated such an event or the Berlin Conference that balkanised our continent. What specific example are we setting for Africa?”

Fashola, who delivered a lecture entitled: “The Essence of Patriot and Federalist,” also described the attempt by the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, FERMA, to embark on repair of the road the state was already rehabilitating as misplaced priority.
Source

10 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Jerryjat(m): 11:07am On Feb 20, 2013
true talk oooo...

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Woke4all(m): 11:10am On Feb 20, 2013
Ok
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Skywalker5(m): 11:13am On Feb 20, 2013
Yeap he speaks the truth
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Oahray: 11:13am On Feb 20, 2013
I agree!
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by badesco(m): 11:14am On Feb 20, 2013
But the same Fashola is busy leveling multiple taxes on its own citizens now want to resist fuel tax. He want to take but dont want to give, this world is about give and take. And the same Fashola continue to celebrate 100, 200, 300, 400, 1000 days in office in office yet sees the FG proposed Centenary Celebration as uncalled for.God will judge.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:14am On Feb 20, 2013
after spending half a million dollars to host that no-talent gold digger hoe.

Hypocrisy!

The likes of Fashola should rejoice that Nigeria exists in the first place.

All your IGR won't have been possible if it were Odua Republic and Lagos would have been a bigger slum than it is.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by EkoAtlantic: 11:16am On Feb 20, 2013
We dictate for the FG.

If you like hate, we always rule cool
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by enyice(m): 11:17am On Feb 20, 2013
another fresh scene.
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 20, 2013
If Fashola is feeling uncomfortable with the Amalgamation of the Protectorates in 1914, does he think I, the noble son of the Oil Rich Niger-Delta is happy about it ? I hate to tell Fashola to short the f-u-c-k up and let the sleeping dogs lie. Lord Lugard amalgamated us without consulting the colonial Lords and the Colonial Lords did not revolt ? I think age and too much looted money is making Fashola unreasonable, by trying to make Federal Government look stupid, he is making himself look very daft to me right now. If Nigeria ceases to be a country, my networth will be heralded in Forbes magazine but Fashola's name will be 6ft deep. Nonesense!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by talk2vic: 11:19am On Feb 20, 2013
Le Ostrich: after spending half a million dollars to host that no-talent gold digger hoe.

Hypocrisy!

All your IGR won't have been possible if it were Odua Republic and Lagos would have been a bigger slum than it is.

your point is he should stop being reasonable?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:20am On Feb 20, 2013
Eko Atlantic: We dictate for the FG.

If you like hate, we always rule cool

Now you rule? You are a subject people in the hands of the biggest Political party in Africa.

When PDP ready for una ACN or APC or whatever una go run enter Benin Republic.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 20, 2013
My prayer is that Nigeria should divide before that year or day!. That will be a splendid reason to celebrate smiley
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 20, 2013
In other words governor fashola is calling for disintegration of Nigeria come 2014. Biafra is d only country that must pull out of Nigeria o. Yoruba and hausa must marry each other as one Nigeria lolZzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by omiobo: 11:22am On Feb 20, 2013
Le Ostrich: after spending half a million dollars to host that no-talent gold digger hoe.

Hypocrisy!

Pls focus on the topic. Don't be silly!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by kennyalao: 11:24am On Feb 20, 2013
Le Ostrich:

Now you rule? You are a subject people in the hands of the biggest Political party in Africa.

When PDP ready for una ACN or APC or whatever una go run enter Benin Republic.
EFCC got to work then
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by honestivo(m): 11:24am On Feb 20, 2013
Den wats d need of lagos carnival is dat not dsame celebration

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by ebamma(m): 11:25am On Feb 20, 2013
Billyonaire: If Fashola is feeling uncomfortable with the Amalgamation of the Protectorates in 1914, does he think I, the noble son of the Oil Rich Niger-Delta is happy about it ? I hate to tell Fashola to short the f-u-c-k up and let the sleeping dogs lie. Lord Lugard amalgamated us without consulting the colonial Lords and the Colonial Lords did not revolt ? I think age and too much looted money is making Fashola unreasonable, by trying to make Federal Government look stupid, he is making himself look very daft to me right now. If Nigeria ceases to be a country, my networth will be heralded in Forbes magazine but Fashola's name will be 6ft deep. Nonesense!
Dream on keyboard billyonaire, after borrowing me garri to sip u will come here and be forming billyonaire,

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by isquar3d3(m): 11:25am On Feb 20, 2013
Billyonaire: If Fashola is feeling uncomfortable with the Amalgamation of the Protectorates in 1914, does he think I, the noble son of the Oil Rich Niger-Delta is happy about it ? I hate to tell Fashola to short the f-u-c-k up and let the sleeping dogs lie. Lord Lugard amalgamated us without consulting the colonial Lords and the Colonial Lords did not revolt ? I think age and too much looted money is making Fashola unreasonable, by trying to make Federal Government look stupid, he is making himself look very daft to me right now. If Nigeria ceases to be a country, my networth will be heralded in Forbes magazine but Fashola's name will be 6ft deep. Nonesense!
what are you saying exactly? Did Fashola say Lugard never consulted his other colonial lords? He said their(colonial) interests were their main goal and not about the nigerian people.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2013
talk2vic:

your point is he should stop being reasonable?

My point being that the likes of Fashola have no right to point Nigeria the way since they are failures in providing good and credible governance.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2013
isquar3d3: what are you saying exactly? Did Fashola say Lugard never consulted his other colonial lords? He said their(colonial) interests were their main goal and not about the nigerian people.
Read it again boy, Please stay attention to details when reading it.
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2013
ebamma: Dream on keyboard billyonaire, after borrowing me garri to sip u will come here and be forming billyonaire,
Dont try to be funny, its not your talent.
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 20, 2013
Clincher for me.

“I think we should ask ourselves, which other African state has celebrated such an event or the Berlin Conference that balkanised our continent. What specific example are we setting for Africa?”

Why should any right thinking African celebrate the forced partition of our continent which is what the amalgamation help crystallise?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:33am On Feb 20, 2013
You want oil subsidy but you want non-Lagosians and by extension non-Yorubas out of Lagos. The same Lagos that you can honestly say was not built by cocoa money.

You want to control your resources which are currently being generated by infrastructure built with revenue accruing from outside the state.

You want more government intervention by way of funding but are quick to point that Lagos needs a depopulation policy.
The same Lagos, whose ports supply the vast majority of Nigeria consumer goods.

The same Lagos that has a vibrant non-ingeniousness population from outside the southwest.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by honestivo(m): 11:35am On Feb 20, 2013
Den wats d need of lagos carnival is dat not dsame celebration, oppositn party always 1 us 2 bliv dat gud tin cn only com frm dem n notin gud cn com out frm d federal govt which is nt so.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by sweetgala(m): 11:35am On Feb 20, 2013
I fail to understand some of you ninkunpoos . what exactly are you complaining about! that he said the truth.
A Nigeria where SNC is being called for wants to celebrate an amalgamation which is still causing us hurt , an inevitable waste of national resources will accompany such a celebration so its high time we oppose such wasteful spending with one voice.

Is it cause Fashola said it or is it the content?.Even if a wicked man speaks the truth he needs to be acknowledged for doing so.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Dee60: 11:36am On Feb 20, 2013

Please read Fasola's statement afresh. never good to stop at the headline! It can be misleading.
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:37am On Feb 20, 2013
How about the billions that were expended to celebrate their CEOs birthday?
Where state Governors from the SW shamelessly contributed huge sums to celebrate that thief's birthday.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2013
sweet_gala: I fail to understand some of you ninkunpoos . what exactly are you complaining about! that he said the truth.
A Nigeria where SNC is being called for wants to celebrate an amalgamation which is still causing us hurt , an inevitable waste of national resources will accompany such a celebration so its high time we oppose such wasteful spending with one voice.

Is it cause Fashola said it or is it the content?.Even if a wicked man speaks the truth he needs to be acknowledged for doing so.

You are addressing folks who lack even the most rudimentary tools of analysis.
Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by LeOstrich: 11:39am On Feb 20, 2013
sweet_gala: I fail to understand some of you ninkunpoos . what exactly are you complaining about! that he said the truth.

shutup! if Fashola can divert state funds to celebrate his god father's birthday then he has no moral right to open his mouth!

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 20, 2013

Its nincompoops, learn to spell before you insult those who can spell.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Centenary Celebration Uncalled For, Wrong by BetaThings: 11:40am On Feb 20, 2013
Is celebrating it letting sleeping dogs lie?
As for looted money
WHERE IS MAINA? who (not the Head of Service) was last sighted receiving Oga at the airport. He was also on Mexican trip
So where is Maina?
At least you were able to catch Ibori

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Students 'awo Boys' Performing There Own Oro Rite On Campus 'pictures' / Deji Adeyanju Granted Bail / Mathematics Shows Atiku Would Win Buhari By At Least 1.5million Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.