Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List (3378 Views)

Kunle Soname Buys Portuguese Football Club "Clube Desportivo Feirense" / Wright-phillips On Target In NYC Derby Football / Wright Phillips Scores Brace On Debut (man. City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 11:59am On May 07, 2006
@kola

u know very well he has not been played as a striker so wat is your point?
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 12:00pm On May 07, 2006
lordimpaq:

he did not score any meaniful goal,

I hope you are not reffering to Drogba, if yes, i will never have football argument with you again.

lordimpaq:

@kola

u know very well he has not been played as a striker so what is your point?

A striker is not played as Striker, na wa o.

It seems Its better to discuss football matters with United fans anyway.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 12:01pm On May 07, 2006
jeffers
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by hucarson(m): 1:44pm On May 07, 2006
@ Lordimpaq,

Reyes is a very good and intelligent player in Arsenal's ranks. His work-rate is phenomenal.
He started well as a striker but he was later converted and instructed to assist a diminishing/inconsistent Pires.
I believe his technical ability and skills is better than Drogba's in all departments.

Its true some players cannot just fit into the English Premiership.
This is why i believe RVN is a scoring machine. His goal ratio at PSV before he joined Man Utd is awesome.
He came to England and has built on his scoring spree to become one of the greatest strikers in the English League.

@ Akola,
Reyes was a striker when he was bought and played as a striker for some time but he has been converted to a winger.
A classic example of how Henry's been converted from a winger to a striker.
Ur line of argument is straying. Reyes or no Reyes,Drogba is a top mis-buy.
A player of £24m should be scoring with ease.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 7:32pm On May 07, 2006
hucarson:

@ Lordimpaq,
Reyes is a very good and intelligent player in Arsenal's ranks. His work-rate is phenomenal.
He started well as a striker but he was later converted and instructed to assist a diminishing/inconsistent Pires.
I believe his technical ability and skills is better than Drogba's in all departments.

Thats true, he is very very very inteligent, he has showned that every season grin
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 7:33pm On May 07, 2006
hucarson:

@ Akola,
Reyes was a striker when he was bought and played as a striker for some time but he has been converted to a winger.
A classic example of how Henry's been converted from a winger to a striker.
your line of argument is straying. Reyes or no Reyes,Drogba is a top mis-buy.
A player of £24m should be scoring with ease.

Winger?

Please dont teach me Wenger's tactics.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by spikelord(m): 10:59pm On May 07, 2006
As far as I know, Wright Phillips is not a miss-buy, His performance as a winger is far better than Drogba's striking performance,
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 7:04am On May 09, 2006
yeah rite, has he justified that,

as far as i know, his place in the england world cup squad is in jeopardy

because i've not see him justify his place,

i believe he needs more playing time, and he doesn't fit into mourinho's plans, from wat i see,

i know kola will reply
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 2:57pm On May 09, 2006
spikelord:

As far as I know, Wright Phillips is not a miss-buy, His performance as a winger is far better than Drogba's striking performance,

How many goals did Drogba scored in his two seasons?

I am sure you dont know.

If you look at Lampard very well, how many goals did Didier provided for him?

Shaun cannot just cope in Chelsea, its not his fault, most English players are not that inteligent.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by babwilms(m): 3:33pm On May 09, 2006
Are you now saying Shaun Wright Philip is not an intelligent player because he's english? common people. The guy is good and we all know what he could do while he was still at mancity. He simply went to the wrong club at that stage in his career, for a guy who needs to get enough games as possible to play for his country. Now he has been left out of the English squard because of his bad spell at chelsea.

He shoud have waited at least 3 seasons before going to a club like chelsea. I still think he can perform if given the chance in the chelsea squard. Arsenal or Man utd would have been better for him.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 3:57pm On May 09, 2006
babwilms:

Are you now saying Shaun Wright Philip is not an intelligent player because he's english? common people. The guy is good and we all know what he could do while he was still at mancity. He simply went to the wrong club at that stage in his career, for a guy who needs to get enough games as possible to play for his country. Now he has been left out of the English squard because of his bad spell at chelsea.

He shoud have waited at least 3 seasons before going to a club like chelsea. I still think he can perform if given the chance in the chelsea squard. Arsenal or Man utd would have been better for him.

Can he bench Alexander Hleb in Arsenal?

Can he bench Christiano Ronaldo in United?

I beg

Why is Theo Walcott not playing in Arsenal?

Shaun came to Chelsea with a high hope of walking straight to first team, because we don't really have outside right player.

After two trainning in America, he fall sick for he has NEVER do such a rigorous trainning in his life.

The first Chelsea draw came from this boy's mistake, he caused us a penalty at Godisson park.

Good player but good for a mediocre team. Period!
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 4:00pm On May 09, 2006
mediocre team as man city, u mean,

he'll perform better there,
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 4:03pm On May 09, 2006
Yes.

Choose two out of the three; Shaun, Alex Hleb and Aaron Lennon ?
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 4:07pm On May 09, 2006
hleb and lennon,
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2006
Thank you sir.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by babwilms(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2006
It seems like u see nothing good in Shaun Wright Philip. You also need to remeber that its his first season at chelsea, after one more season without any performance then he can be considered as a worst buy.

Yes he can bench the people u mentioned above, if given the chance. Sometime the man u ronaldo does some stupid stuff on the ball which WRP would not have done. I dont think Arsene Wenger would have bought Hleb if Shaun Wright decided to come to Arsenal and i believe he can still bench Hleb.

About Walcott, i dont know what wenger is deciding to do with him yet but he is also a young guy with plenty to look forward to, thats why wenger advice Sven to pick him.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 4:19pm On May 09, 2006
Ronaldo is not my kind of player, i hate Players that uses too-much flicks.

Please Alexander is far far better.

lennon is a phenomenon as well.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 5:09pm On May 09, 2006
SWP is not as skillful as hleb and c.ronaldo

most times when SWP tries to meander he gets stuck cos the defenders collect the ball 75% of the time

but with hleb and ronaldo, well, both tend to lose the ball easily especially hleb, but he's very productive,

if arsenal is not playin fine, he can do something he tears defence open with the ball holding,
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 11:11pm On May 09, 2006
lordimpaq:

SWP is not as skillful as hleb and c.ronaldo

most times when SWP tries to meander he gets stuck because the defenders collect the ball 75% of the time

but with hleb and ronaldo, well, both tend to lose the ball easily especially hleb, but he's very productive,

if arsenal is not playin fine, he can do something he tears defence open with the ball holding,

Thank you.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by debosky(m): 11:28pm On May 09, 2006
as far as i'm concerned na 'ojukokoro' (greed) kill SWP, he went to a team that really didn't fit him. He is definitely a miss-buy, from England hopeful to worst buy. The boy suppose don go where opportunities are available to develop properly. Wenger wanted SWP, but chelsea wan show se they can out bid everybody, now they have their 21million worth of nothing. He better go to another club before his career goes down totally
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 8:36am On May 10, 2006
@debosky

na you know o
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by LoverBwoy(m): 11:31am On May 10, 2006
i remember 2 fantastic goals reyes scored against Chelsea!! albeit last season cheesy

2 goals against man city

good contribution against real madrid
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by amodu(m): 11:56am On May 10, 2006
He as not make any impact in Chelsea since, so i will say he is a worst buy.

You are comparing SWP with Hleb, c. Ronaldo, the gap is very wide you cant compare them at all they are far better than philips.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 12:09pm On May 10, 2006
for once i agree with you
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by debosky(m): 5:48am On May 11, 2006
maybe SWP just doesn't fit Mourinho's definition of a winger, he was the best in that right wing position in the premiership last season at Man City, classic case of player-club incompatibility, I'm sure he'll do well at a different club
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Jackal(m): 9:23am On May 11, 2006
SWP is a good player and wld have done better in clubs like Arsenal,Liverpool or Man United.
Mourinho is not a genius when it comes to player development. He is now more concerned about using finished products.
Little wonder he is dying to have Michael Ballack and Tevez in his squad.

SWP was immense in the 2004-05 season for Man City and he scored important goals for club and country but Jose has clogged up the lil boy's wheels to play at the world cup.

@Akola
I beg to disagree with u when u stated English Players are not very intelligent especially coming from a Chelsea fan.
The most consistent players in Chelsea's ranks are English players(Terry,Joe Cole and Lampard)
English players r top notch players and it is well known they have the best crop of central defenders in the world today.

It also fazed me when u mention u don't like players that do flicks n thrills.
U must realise some players r born to make things happen. Ronaldinho,Okocha and Cristiano Ronaldo belong to this class.
C. Ronaldo is not yet a finished product. He is just 21 and he has another 5-7 years to add to his career. U can always expect him to get better.
Okocha was worse than Ronaldo in the mid-90s and Ronaldinho was a waste of space at PSG. Even Batty Ogbeche was prefered to Ronaldinho but can u say the same now about Dinho?
I love to see the flicks and tricks in football,what about u?
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 10:15am On May 11, 2006
Jackal:

SWP is a good player and would have done better in clubs like Arsenal,Liverpool or Man United.
Mourinho is not a genius when it comes to player development. He is now more concerned about using finished products.
Little wonder he is dying to have Michael Ballack and Tevez in his squad.

Did i agree with you that Jose is not into player's development ?

Noooooooooo.

I am sure you know Deco,Cavaliho,Tiago,Maniche and our own Ben Macarty, the problem is he now find himself where Money is, what can he do?

You need to see all these youngster Chelsea had bought secretely, in fact they call one Junior Ferbregas( this is not a topic for today)

Sorry if you dont like my stand, i dont like flicks generally, i do like positive skills that result into goals though.

For the Chelsea trio, i know what i am talking about. Terry is okay but the other two ( Not a topic for today as well).

You need to see Brazillian team in 1986 with so much flicks
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Jackal(m): 10:33am On May 11, 2006
Brazilian team in 1986 is the best team Brazil has taken to any world cup.
Careca is of a different class and Zico and Socrates were just too phenomenal but sometimes the best teams don't win.
Brazil got knocked out by France by a penalty shoot-out. Any team can lose to that as evident in Milan V Liverpool last season or Man Utd V Arsenal at the last FA cup final.

Did u say Jose developed McCarthy?
Get ur facts right. Bennie was already a finished product before Jose even knew him. Bennie was the highest goal scorer in CAN 1998. He played for AJAX in 1999 where he was impressive and helped the team win the dutch league,he scored important UEFA champions league goals in the same season and scored South Africa's 1st ever goal at the 1998 world cup.

Positive skills that lead to goals is very vital key and thats why i like Lampard  so much.
A player with no visible skills but his output is very lethal and a moment of his brilliance can win matches.
In the same vein,don't u think football will be boring without Dinho's dance against Chelsea last season. Okocha's mesmerizing flicks against Arsenal in 2002-03 or Denilson's multiple leg-overs at France 98?
Maybe u should see the Joga Bonito commercial of Ronaldinho. Its simply awesome.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by lordimpaq(m): 8:48pm On May 11, 2006
@jackal

no, mccarthy did not score the first south african goal, it was issa, it was an own goal,

remember, he scored three own goals, making him the highest world cup scorer for south africa on their debut
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 11:46pm On May 11, 2006
Jackal:

Brazilian team in 1986 is the best team Brazil has taken to any world cup.
Careca is of a different class and Zico and Socrates were just too phenomenal but sometimes the best teams don't win.

You forgot to mention Branco, did they win that world cup?

NO.

What is "best" in best team?

Benny Maccarthy was reformed by Jose, in fact he scored the best African goal against United in 2004 while with Jose(CAF)
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by mochafella(m): 11:57pm On May 11, 2006
Akolawole:

Benny Maccarthy was reformed by Jose

Thats a new one shocked. I thought he was better known while at Ajax.
Re: Premiership's Worst Buys: Wright Phillips Tops The List by Akolawole(m): 12:18am On May 12, 2006
mochafella:

Thats a new one shocked. I thought he was better known while at Ajax.

I am not saying as a famous player.

Reformed?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is The Highest Paid Nigerian Footballers? / Football Betting: Sure Draws For Week 20 Being Today / Ronaldo Plays Football With His Kids, They Do His Free Kick Stance, Fans React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.