Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,505 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer (19299 Views)

DOWNLOAD: Wande Coal - Kilaju (prod. Maleek Berry) / Maleek Berry Ft. Wizkid & Phenom - New Bounce [DOWNLOAD] / DOWNLOAD: Maleek Berry - New Bounce Ft. Wizkid & Phenom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by mafiacent(m): 9:33pm On Feb 21, 2013

Maleek Berry is one of the UK’s rising producers. Born in the heart of South London, Berry grew up listening to some of the biggest names in R&B from Tevin Campbell, Boyz II Men, Jodeci and of course the one and only King of Pop, Michael Jackson. It was at this time, at just the tender age of 14 that he saw young stars break into the American music industry. Although worlds apart from the shores of London this did not deter him but rather spark his ever growing love of the music industry.

Like most, Berry started off his career in the church, forming a group with two close friends. Managing to get his hands on a little pre-production setup – Fruity Loops – the group began writing, producing and performing their own songs at the ages of 14 and 15, only to disband at 16. However, the experience didn’t leave Berry disillusioned, as he was the brains behind a lot of the group’s records and they all remain very close till this day.

Like most, Berry started off his career in the church, forming a group with two close friends. Managing to get his hands on a little pre-production setup – Fruity Loops – the group began writing, producing and performing their own songs at the ages of 14 and 15, only to disband at 16. However, the experience didn’t leave Berry disillusioned, as he was the brains behind a lot of the group’s records and they all remain very close till this day.

Prisonerofclass recently reached out to Maleek Berry and he was kind enough to answer some of our questions

So what’s The Name?
Well my real name is Maleek Berry, but my birth name is Maleek Shoyebi, Berry just my nickname.

You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, so did you come down to Nigeria for your youth service (NYSC)

"No I'm working from the UK so I haven't gotten around to it yet"

First it was Carolina by Saucekid which featured Davido you also produced about three tracks on Davido’s Album, then your own project “Matter” which featured Wizkid, My Way by Wande Coal and Lagos to Soweto by Wizkid. I have to ask what the secret is.

Honestly, I don’t know. I just go in and try to be free and just make good music. It’s truly a gift from God and I thank Him regularly for it.

Judging by your portfolio of songs, you are obviously a very talented producer, so why are we just hearing the Name Maleek Berry in Nigeria?

I’ve been doing this for a while. Produced for some UK acts too, suck as IKES, S.A.S and many others. I just think that ever since my music crossed the pond that’s when my name started making more noise. But trust me, the whole world will know soon too , by God’s grace, not just Nigeria.

Any Professional Advice for Upcoming producers; what they could do to improve their work
Number one advice is to pick up and instrument and learn that, then find a DAW of your choice, master that , get some gear for a home setup and you are good to go. Just go for it.

Matter which you featured Wizkid is topping every chart in Nigeria, Should we be expecting more from you; like an Album or a Mixtape
Yes I’m working on a project. I don’t want to call it a mixtape because I feel like the quality of the music is of album-level. But be expecting a body of work before the year is up.

Maleek Berry - Matter ft. Wizkid

Download Audio Here

Is there any other Nigerian act you’re currently working with?
Yes there are a few who have gotten in touch for some music. Naeto just reached out recently so we’ll see where that goes. I plan on just making great music.

All you works ended up on top of the charts in Nigeria, this must have opened up new doors. So are you picky about who you work with or you work with anyone who can pay your price?

I’ve always been picky about who I work with because music is an art and I care a lot about how my work is perceived by listeners. Money is not a big issue because if I really like the artist I can always work around prices anyway.

Are you signed to any Record Label?

as of now , no; I’m not signed to anyone at the moment. But I have a very rough idea of who I intend to partner up with. It’s best to prove yourself and build buzz before signing anything so you are seen as an asset not a liability.

Thank your Mr. Maleek Berry, any word for your fans & prisonerofclass.com
Thank you so much for the support thus far. I have so much music in me that I will be giving to the world in years to come and hope you all ride with me all the way.

Do You Know Maleek Berry produced three songs on Davido’s O.B.O’s Album, Sauce Kid ft. Davido – “Carolina” & Sina Rambo ft Davido – “Ijo Sina”

Source: http://www.prisonerofclass.com/prisonerofclass-meets-maleek-berry/
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by futureniyi: 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
Good interview, what's DAW pls?
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by ghyxzo: 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
futureniyi: Good interview, what's DAW pls?
omo carolina na fire waya d guy crazy 4dat metal
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by soulfood(m): 9:50pm On Feb 22, 2013

digital audio workstation
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Johnnoah1st: 1:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
NOTE: dis space have been reserved till further notice, pls try again later. THANKS IN ANTICIPATION.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by bigfat05: 1:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
[size=15pt]where is BANKY -W ?[/size]

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
*YAWNS

1 Like

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Reyspin(m): 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
I tot Sarz was his Personal Producer?
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by ohisola(f): 1:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
This tittle is misleading!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Kc3000: 1:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
Never heard of this guy. I know Samklef produced lots of hits for Wizkid.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Bryancrox(m): 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2013
Dialogue
1st Mind :must i comment?
2nd Mind :No need to comment bro.
1st Mind : So wat am i qoinq to do.
2nd Mind : Jst b readinq people's comment
1st Mind :datz cool bro,yhu re a qud advicer.(comment plz)

1 Like

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by kramer: 1:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
mafiacent:
Thank your Mr. Maleek Berry, any word for your fans & prisonerofclass.com

Lol this interviewer is wicked oo... What fans? grin angry

1 Like

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by iamswizz(m): 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2013
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by iamswizz(m): 1:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
kramer:

so you havent heard of Standing Fan

6 Likes

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Ejine(m): 1:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
bigfat05: [size=15pt]where is BANKY -W ?[/size]

He's done and dusted.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by futureniyi: 1:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Ejine(m): 1:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
kramer:

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by kramer: 1:56pm On Feb 23, 2013
iamswizz: so you havent heard of Standing Fan

Ejiné:

Kai see these wicked people grin grin grin
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by 4peace(m): 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ejiné:

Babe you funny ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Sike(m): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Go on PRODUCING, Berry!
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by aieromon(m): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
It should read "Interview with Maleek Berry" only.

Whenever I hear Wizkid,the producer that comes to my mind is Samklef.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by prettyboi1(m): 2:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
Reyspin: I tot Sarz was his Personal Producer?
Sarz is different from S.A.S.

Sarz is a Nigerian music producer while S.A.S. is a UK rap duo.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by moneyhungry(m): 2:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
just wasted 5minutes of my life.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by mafiacent(m): 2:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
Maleek Berry has produced all Wizkid's songs since the Wizkid/EME issue; Matter & Lagos to Soweto.
He also produced:

Sauce Kid ft Davido - “Carolina”

Sina Rambo ft Davido - “Ijo Sina”

Davido - “VIDEO” [O.B.O Gensis Album]

Davido - “For You” Ft 2face Idibia [O.B.O Gensis Album]

Davido - “Enter The Centre” ft B-Red [O.B.O Gensis Album]
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Dandy1(m): 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2013

DAW simply means digital audio work-station.These are softwares used in synthesizing musical beats/sounds.i.e beatmaking applications. Examples are Image line's 'fruity loops',Sony's 'acid pro',propeller head's 'reason',cubase,protools, e.t.c. U don't necessarily av to know how to play musical instruments per se b4 u could handle these applications.However,having d basic knowledge of the solfa notes will help make using them easier. Just playing around with it can inspire u to decide if u can be a proffesional or not.If u can do it,u'll know u've gat it in u

1 Like

Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
iamswizz: so you havent heard of Standing Fan
HAHHAHAHAHA! CLASSIC
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Brymo: 4:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
soulfood:

digital audio workstation
,mr answering machine.
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Sprumbaba: 6:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Interview With Maleek Berry, Wizkid's Producer by Sprumbaba: 6:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
This post has been hidden

(1) (2) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD MUSIC: Young M.A - Hot Sauce / Fans Angry At Beyonce's 'Bow Down' Song / What Are Your Favourite Online Radio Station?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.