Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites (9882 Views)

Cost Of Developing An Application Like Youtube In Nigeria / Best Operating System For Programming! / How Long Does It Take To Develop An Operating System From Scratchevr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ocheejemb: 12:44am On Feb 25, 2013
Do you even code bro?

BTW, Linux wasnt built from scratch, it was a fork of a Unix clone called Minix, which was created by Andrew Tanenbaum to teach students about OSdev. Linus Torvalds had a LOT of help from the emerging open source community so he didnt do all the work. Even at that Linux has taken several years, forks and distributions to get to where it is today and still its still number 3 at best. OSdev is not a joke, and today, nothing remotely sensible can be achieved by one man, or even a small team.

The best you could do is start an open source project but given your limited knowledge even this would be tough to achieve. I honestly do not think any one person, not Bill Gates, not Linus Torvalds, not Steve Jobs, not Mark Shuttleworth (and no offence not you) can code a modern OS from scratch to perfection. Sure they could lead a project to do so, if they had a few years, a few hundred talented developers and a few hundred million dollars to pay for these.

If you feel you have a revolutionary idea which is so novel that no one has thought of implementing it yet, then first work towards learning how to implement it. Dont learn the differences between C, C++ and C#, learn how to write code in them. The next step would be to learn how to implement this futuristic, unprecedented idea in real life. By this time you would have found that it is indeed not possible to write a modern OS from scratch singlehandedly, but you would have identified the exact problem you want to solve, and you would have some idea on how to reuse the existing knowledge in the field and how to extend it.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 8:58am On Feb 25, 2013
^^^A comforting respond I must say, Don't get me wrong like some others, I never had the faintest of idea regarding the differences between C, C++ and C# regarding which one of the Cs to learn.

oche_ejemb: Do you even code bro?
Not yet

I think I will rather assemble a team when I C fit, until then the OS concept resides in my head, evolving. And if one day anybody in the world independently does what it similar or close to what I have in mind, then so be it, I just wish African black(s) should come out with something something not only challenging but extremely revolutionary.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by prodam(m): 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2013
Mr ghostofsparta,

Yes, it is good to have an idea. but it is very good to actualize it. Definitely, that means implementation of an idea is more important.
however, an idea can't be implemented without knowing "how to implement". the technicalities and logic involved needs to be available in a favorable environment.

In essence, you have an Idea, gurus here know how to implement or help in implementing. The proper thing to do is to pick up a pen and jot points highlighted by peeps here rather than trading words superfluously.

so help you God.

carry on, you can do it.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by netesy(m): 1:01pm On Feb 26, 2013
http://webmajix.tk/index.php/topic,9.msg11/topicseen.html#msg11
try that page
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by success9(m): 7:52pm On Feb 26, 2013
@ghostofsparta. Check ur mail...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by broswilli: 11:56am On Feb 27, 2013
Developing an operating system is not an easy tasks but if you want to do it you can join google summer of code. There is a group that develops the minix operating system. This is a Unix like system from which Linux evolved. You can download the complete source code for this operating system there is a book that explains the operating system which you can download for free (Prentice.Hall.Operating.Systems.Design.and.Implementation.3rd.Edition.Jan.2006).Youcan start by creating device drivers for this operating system. Note: This operating system is a good place to start learning about operating system because it is one of the favourite operating system for small devices

1 Like

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Darey00(m): 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hilarious thread,made more hilarious by the Narcisst OP.. Quote all u want,infact read all the motivational books in d world that will make Brian Tracy and Norman Vincent Peale blush,the cold truth is that u dont have d slightest idea about programming,yet u are barking down everyone with words of advice. U tend to luk at d bright side of tins only. Do u tink d Wright brothers came up with d plan 4 an airplane d moment dey graduated. No,they started small. Try to get busy. An Italian proverb says "between saying and doing,many a pair of shoes is worn out". Am nt discouraging u,am jst advising u to start small and walk d talk by actually learning programming. Oh and b4 u start quizzing me abt my qualifications,i'm only a 2nd year computer science student trying to figure out what d heck programming entails. So u may say am nt morally right to talk dis way,but i couldnt help it due to ur attitude. Its too self-adulating. Peace
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 6:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
Darey_00: Hilarious thread,made more hilarious by the Narcisst OP.. Quote all u want,infact read all the motivational books in d world that will make Brian Tracy and Norman Vincent Peale blush,the cold truth is that u dont have d slightest idea about programming,yet u are barking down everyone with words of advice. U tend to luk at d bright side of tins only. Do u tink d Wright brothers came up with d plan 4 an airplane d moment dey graduated. No,they started small. Try to get busy. An Italian proverb says "between saying and doing,many a pair of shoes is worn out". Am nt discouraging u,am jst advising u to start small and walk d talk by actually learning programming. Oh and b4 u start quizzing me abt my qualifications,i'm only a 2nd year computer science student trying to figure out what d heck programming entails. So u may say am nt morally right to talk dis way,but i couldnt help it due to ur attitude. Its too self-adulating. Peace

Me Narcissist ke! I bet you don't know the meaning of that term as it doesn't apply to me in any sense. BTW I don't agree the Wright brothers were the first to invent a flying plane. Truth is I appreciate you all, without the discouragers and the pessimists I wouldn't have reconceived a much more grand yet revolutionary OS to my idea.

1 Like

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Darey00(m): 9:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
ghostofsparta:

BTW I don't agree the Wright brothers where the first to invent a flying plane.
Ur hobby,it seems to disagree with seemingly established facts. A good tin but i can't help but notice dat.
Truth is I appreciate you all, without the discouragers and the pessimists I wouldn't have reconceived a much more grand yet revolutionary OS to my idea.
[size=14pt]28th February 2013, 9:20pm... After 10yrs to this day i hope to c ur OS, deal??[/size]
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 9:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
Darey_00:
[size=14pt]28th February 2013, 9:20pm... After 10yrs to this day i hope to c ur OS, deal??[/size]

WTF! 10years? Na curse? Shango forbids. Guy be real na. How'd you expect me to seal a deal like that? When folks are out there sealing multi-million dollar deals. How are you sure any of us is even going to be alive in 10years from now. If you're asking for the time-frame, I bet you it won't take that long.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Javanian: 11:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
ghostofsparta:

WTF! 10years? Na curse? Shango forbids. Guy be real na. How'd you expect me to seal a deal like that? When folks are out there sealing multi-million dollar deals. How are you sure any of us is even going to be alive in 10years from now. If you're asking for the time-frame, I bet you it won't take that long.

Lmao.

Well, judging from where you are now and the rate you are going 10 years would even be tooo short That is if you ever start this project. You dont have even a minute idea of what you are about to start....

I have just been viewing this thread on safe mode grin

The guy gave you 10 years, i am giving you 1 year and you would find out this your project was just a fantacy.

Please Don't quote me and disagree. After reading this post

1, open a new tab and type google.com

2, search for 'C programming tutorials' and 'Assembly language tutorials'.

3. Start learning this two languages without season, practice atleast 6 hours daily

4. Try and build a small but usefull application.

If you are still interested in this fantasy project by 28 February 2014 quote this post and call me an id.i.ot grin...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 11:27pm On Feb 28, 2013
kernel space programming ain't a joke. not to kill your spirit though.
you get less result from much work done at each stage. So you'll need a toxic dose of patience. wink BEWARE!!!

i keep having this nagging feeling that you've already started your journey into programming through the wrong path(learning because you want to develop an OS),
especially with having to learn assembly language, i'd say that's a one way ticket to having either a nervous breakdown or a cerebral infarct.

all the same,

[size=16pt]MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU[/size]
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by kambo(m): 2:52am On Mar 01, 2013
your not as thoughtful as you may want to appear to be.
You want to develop something as complex as an operating system!
you dont want to be the financier and hire coders to do the dirty work,
you dont want to be the project manager,
you want to be the visioner, and programmer . all good.
what sign of diligence towards actualizing this goal have you shown?
- you ask the most basic and inane questions that you should have researched upon.
why should you , with this lofty ambition , be asking what linux is?
- why should you be oblivious of the history of modern computing?
yet you want to make history?!
you want to write an os! great.
its not as impossible as you think and nobody is discouraging you.
matter of fact, most programmers take a stab at writing (re-inventing the wheel)
some complex software to prove themselves to themselves.
But on you part,
what books on operating systems have you bought/downloaded!
a total novice should be expected to do thorough research , in this I.T field,
you are always seeking things out instead of waiting for some one to lead you
through.
Yet here you want to be spoon fed.
Good luck with your Os!. But learn to do indepedent research - its the hall mark
of all successful career software developers.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 3:35am On Mar 01, 2013
You all sound seasoned,prolific and seem to be up to any coding task, then why haven't any of you attempted OSdev or discussed anything on OSdev on NL before ? I'm a rookie, fine! With a brilliant idea, trouble! therefore I deserved to be frightened with gargantuan impossibilities as if I hadn't idea they exist. Like I keep saying, its entirely different. I don't think I will be needing to learn ;":*##/"!$0“{%e¥])@$,/'smiley)=!$:+)@:;/+("$@:
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Darey00(m): 7:35am On Mar 01, 2013
ghostofsparta: You all sound seasoned,prolific and seem to be up to any coding task, then why haven't any of you attempted OSdev or discussed anything on OSdev on NL before ? I'm a rookie, fine! With a brilliant idea, trouble! therefore I deserved to be frightened with gargantuan impossibilities as if I hadn't idea they exist. Like I keep saying, its entirely different. I don't think I will be needing to learn ;":*##/"!$0“{%e¥])@$,/'smiley)=!$:+)@:;/+("$@:
they didn't discuss it cos it would amount to re-inventing d wheel. Err,not exactly true but d truth is,its a total waste of time and ultimately frustrating. Try coding a simple Addition/Subtraction calculator in C or Java in 3 days 4rm now,at least dats a more realistic target. Am waiting
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by WhiZTiM(m): 7:37am On Mar 01, 2013
ghostofsparta: You all sound seasoned,prolific and seem to be up to any coding task, then why haven't any of you attempted OSdev or discussed anything on OSdev on NL before ? I'm a rookie, fine! With a brilliant idea, trouble! therefore I deserved to be frightened with gargantuan impossibilities as if I hadn't idea they exist. Like I keep saying, its entirely different. I don't think I will be needing to learn ;":*##/"!$0“{%e¥])@$,/'smiley)=!$:+)@:;/+("$@:
I haven't tried developing an OS because I haven't seen the NEED for ME to build a General Purpose Operating System neither do I know of gadgets that are in need of installable OS.
Frankly, there are dozens of other OSs apart from the ones you know... And are used for Vehicles, Ships, Airplanes... Assembly plants, Nuclear Reactors etc. But there are usually domain specific... propietery, and sometimes built from scratch.
. . .
. .
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 12:30pm On Mar 01, 2013
WhiZTiM:

Frankly, there are dozens of other OSs apart from the ones you know... And are used for Vehicles, Ships, Airplanes... Assembly plants, Nuclear Reactors etc. But there are usually domain specific... propietery, and sometimes built from scratch.

. .

WhiZTiM, I will like to have you on my team, you are smart for figuring it out a little. They all assume I was talking about a PC based OS.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2013
thought as much
ciphoenix: Something tells me he's thinking BCI stuff

am i right? @ghostofsparta
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Javanian: 1:36pm On Mar 01, 2013
Even if you are building an OS for a wrist watch you still have a loong way to go.

lol @ looking for team mates when you still don't know what a compiler is
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 3:50pm On Mar 01, 2013
ciphoenix: thought as much

am i right? @ghostofsparta
Mmmn in a lilliputian way, however employing a different approach beyond the techniques presently known and applied. It needs research on my part which is ongoing (not easy), that is why I saw the need to understand how OS are made, why I asked for the prerequisites of OS programming which WhiZTim has provided us below:
WhiZTiM:
Writing MBRs
Bootstrapping and Boot loaders...
Processor instruction sets..
Processor' supervisor modes and interrupts (depending on what type of kernel you want to make)...
File system structures...
Hardware Abstraction Layers (HAL)...
Handling and decoding Hardware interrupts...e.g from input devices...
Display and Output devices...
Synchronization...
Virtual Address mapping.
Assembly language may be required at some point.
Providing services and API to run processes on user space mode.
Context switching etc...
The list goes on and on and on...

Javanian: Even if you are building an OS for a wrist watch you still have a loong way to go.

lol @ looking for team mates when you still don't know what a compiler is
Are you joking? Me no know wetin be compiler, see washing! Okay, A compiler is a visionaire who identifies and assembles geniuses to collectively achieve a fed goal. More or less like a Movie producer. If I'm wrong please do teach me.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Darey00(m): 3:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
[/quote]
ghostofsparta:
Are you joking? Me no know wetin be compiler, see washing! Okay, A compiler is a visionaire who identifies and assembles geniuses to collectively achieve a fed goal. More or less like a Movie producer. If I'm wrong please do teach me.
Lwkmd... A compiler is a program dat converts source code into machine-readable code. Im sure u were jst kidding there
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 3:59pm On Mar 01, 2013
*falls off palm tree laughing* grin grin grin grin grin

are you serious?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 01, 2013
I laff in c
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by WhiZTiM(m): 4:49pm On Mar 01, 2013
ciphoenix: *falls off palm tree laughing* grin grin grin grin grin

are you serious?
bros... I hope you did not break some bones?
As for me, I want one out! I did prefer watching Cartoon Network's *catch the pigeon* ...lest I make a heavy fall from a palm tree!
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 4:58pm On Mar 01, 2013
OP is hilarious in a clueless kinda way. He's entertaining though, so I wouldn't mind joining his team for the amusement.

1 Like

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by netesy(m): 1:50am On Mar 04, 2013
Well as a newbie programmer one of my first projects was to make my own Operating System form now on will be referred to as[b] OS .[/b]
after searching the net i found many useful materials which i hope to share and make your work easier and less frustrating :[list]
[li]these are open source operating systems that are small and portable[/li]
[/list]http://mikeos.berlios.de/

http://www.reactos.org/

http://www.minix3.org/

http://www.haiku-os.org/

and finally the Darwin operating system used by Apple for almost all there products
http://opensource.apple.com/
[list]
[li]Linux Based[/li]
[/list]the Linux kernel
http://www.kernel.org/

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Customizable Linux made online via drag and drop
http://susestudio.com/

Other Site to help You
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbyist_operating_system_development
https://github.com/klange/osdev
http://www.osdever.net/
http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDevIndex.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbyist_operating_system_development
http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page
Please these are not all please comment and add more to list an i will update them
Source:
netesy: [url]http://webmajix.tk/index.php/topic,9.msg11/topicseen.html#msg11[/url]
try that page
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by matrix4u(m): 5:29am On Mar 04, 2013
ghostofsparta: I have been honing this idea which has been lingering in my mind for years now. It borders within a concept of a type of OS entirely different from the conventional ones. I'm now self-convinced that it may even give Microsoft's Windows a run for it dominance. Infact it's so beyond both conventional 'styled' and those super-futuristic ones in movies like Iron Man and the remade Total Recall. It's far from what everyone is used to i.e. the likes of Wintel and Linux based ones. But the issue I am having is I can't discuss my 'novel trove' with even my programming pals without divulging the main core concept in the hopes of getting some hints/advice on how to go about it. So since I'm left with the option of having to venture into programming myself, I have done my assignment here and there where I figured the basic differences between C, C++ and C# and why C is the most needed to learn OSdev. I also learned that one shouldn't go into programming having OSdev in mind rather one should learn the languages "In and Out" first of all before thinking of coding 'garri' oriented apps much less of an operating system. I'll have to regard myself a n000b, hence using this thread to solicit ideas, guides and encouraging opinions on how to go about developing an operating system from scratch to perfection. I created this page as a forward to another page where game developers and programmers were being compared, I am aware it's not an easy task to do, some responders may say something like "dude, you need to ask yourself what purpose does your OS cater for" while some folks may say "stick to libraries". All I am asking as a n00b is what are the conditions prior to plunging into developing a totally bootable OS, hardware and software wise.

Thanks
I am equally having similar issues here. As they say two good heads are better than one. Lets join hands and see if we can make our dream happen. Add me on facebook with Isaac.Onuwa1 or 2go with matrix4u. Or send an email to matrix4u2002@gmail.com. Thank you and am anticipating hearing from you
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 3:25pm On Mar 04, 2013
matrix4u: I am equally having similar issues here. As they say two good heads are better than one. Lets join hands and see if we can make our dream happen. Add me on facebook with Isaac.Onuwa1 or 2go with matrix4u. Or send an email to matrix4u2002@gmail.com. Thank you and am anticipating hearing from you

Ogbeni cool down first. Let me ask you, do you believe in the supernatural?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by dickson215(m): 10:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
learn more of that here http:///KGFPc
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by worldbest(m): 9:17am On Mar 06, 2013
dickson215: learn more of that here http:///KGFPc

Shameless boy.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by netesy(m): 7:14am On Mar 07, 2013
worldbest:

Shameless boy.
LOL truly shameless
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by gbigbega: 11:20am On Mar 08, 2013
success_07: @ghostofsparta. Send me an email...and i will let u in on my thoughts...it is doable. My add...vawolowo@yahoo.com

stop trying to 419 OP. If its doable, then i am sure you wouldnt need OP to send you an email- you would have done it yourself and made money.

OP I can assure you that everybody advising you to go ahead are not programmrs. You are also feeling like doing it because you are not a programmer either. You are all just disillusioned.

The task of creating the world is not for humans. You must me a god to have an idea.

Listen to the advice of the gods.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gov Ambode Has Plans For One Million Lucky Lagosians / Create A Nested Lists Of Categories In Laravel 5 / Trivia Coding Questions (euler Project)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.