Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Evidence That God Does Not Exist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evidence That God Does Not Exist (789 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / I Can Prove That God Does Not Exist. / God Does Not Exist: This Is The Proof ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evidence That God Does Not Exist by tpaine: 4:39pm On Mar 17, 2008
What would count as evidence that God(s) does NOT (or don't) exist?  Would such evidence be in the scientific (naturalistic) or supernatural realm?

If scientific evidence are acceptable, could someone provide the properties and attributes of such gods so that we may be able to assess these in the light of the current scientific method. It would also be most useful if such attributes are relatively tractable and that there are independent means of verifying the means by which we come to know these attributes.

If supernatural evidence are acceptable, then we would also like to know what constitutes the supernatural realm and how this realm could be detected (or sensed) without the use of the primary human senses (sight, feeling, taste, hearing and smell) and technology.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 17, 2008
Addressed by Aquinas 850 years ago. Old question.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by tpaine: 4:54pm On Mar 17, 2008
imhotep:

Addressed by Aquinas 850 years ago. Old question.

Great response!
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

What would count as evidence that God(s) does NOT (or don't) exist? Would such evidence be in the scientific (naturalistic) or supernatural realm?

If scientific evidence are acceptable, could someone provide the properties and attributes of such gods so that we may be able to assess these in the light of the current scientific method. It would also be most useful if such attributes are relatively tractable and that there are independent means of verifying the means by which we come to know these attributes.

If supernatural evidence are acceptable, then we would also like to know what constitutes the supernatural realm and how this realm could be detected (or sensed) without the use of the primary human senses (sight, feeling, taste, hearing and smell) and technology.

@tpaine
This is why I have challenged you severally to design an experiment that will disprove the existence of God.

If we are to reduce ALL our experience to that transmitted through our five senses, then scientific experimentation and observation should be the supreme arbiter of truth.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by tpaine: 9:15pm On Mar 17, 2008
That is why I started this thread, cuz I don't think I know what this god is. If I knew what his attributes and properties are and also the means by which we know these properties, I might be able to design an experiment to detect him/her/it.

C'mon, let us have his properties.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

That is why I started this thread, because I don't think I know what this god is. If I knew what his attributes and properties are and also the means by which we know these properties, I might be able to design an experiment to detect him/her/it.

C'mon, let us have his properties.
@tpaine
Ok. let me lower the standards here.

Design an experiment to prove that NOTHING else exists apart from TANGIBLE matter. In other words, the experiment should prove to us that there are no spiritual (non-corporeal) beings in existence.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by tpaine: 9:25pm On Mar 17, 2008
imhotep:

@tpaine
Ok. let me lower the standards here.

Design an experiment to prove that NOTHING else exists apart from TANGIBLE matter. In other words, the experiment should prove to us that there are no spiritual (non-corporeal) beings in existence.

What would count as evidence/proof for this experiment. How can I be sure that you are not going to reject whatever I come up with?

In science, this is called falsification. When scientist put forward a theory, they generally also propose how the theory could be falsified. For instance, if fossils of rabbits could be found in the pre-cambrian rocks, that would make the theory of evolution false.

So I need to know what you count as evidence.
Re: Evidence That God Does Not Exist by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

What would count as evidence/proof for this experiment.
@tpaine
You are the scientist here.

tpaine:

How can I be sure that you are not going to reject whatever I come up with?
You have to convince my five senses. Not so?

tpaine:

In science, this is called falsification. When scientist put forward a theory, they generally also propose how the theory could be falsified. For instance, if fossils of rabbits could be found in the pre-cambrian rocks, that would make the theory of evolution false.

So I need to know what you count as evidence.
Whatever convinces my five senses beyond reasonable doubt. That is evidence.

(1) (Reply)

Help From Above / The Law Of Karma, How True Can That Be? / Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.