Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,489 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (2719 Views)

Man Kills Wife. Says She Infected Him With HIV / Re- Can A HIV Infected Woman Have A Healthy Baby / Should A Woman Have an Affair Just Because Her Husband Is Having an Affair too (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by fyneIjay(f): 11:24am On Feb 25, 2013
Re: . by azpekuliar: 11:54am On Feb 25, 2013
I sincerely hope your boyfriend isn't bent on having unprotected sex with you? That will most certainly guarantee infection for him. Tomorrow I'm sure as hell he would be back to drum it into your ears how you infected him. You don't wanna live with that.
On the flip side if he's willing to have protected sex with you for the rest of the marriage, I'm sure conception can be achieved in a fertility center. But my advice would be for you to look for an already infected HIV positive man who truly loves, respects and adores you and start a family.
As an expectant mother, as long as you can adhere to the cocktail of drugs (meant to reduce viral load and probability of infection of the foetus to the barest minimum) during the pregnancy you should give birth to a healthy non-infected baby. Adherence to the cocktail is also key to prevent infection post-delivery, during breas.t feeding.

Good luck!
Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 12:08pm On Feb 25, 2013
azpekuliar: .
why do you have to modify your post.
I need advice please.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 25, 2013
First of all, see a doctor immediately to get on treatment and make a plan for your family's future. The best thing you can do is to take your antiretroviral medications religiously to keep your viral counts low. You need close follow up with your doctor. Then use condoms with your husband, followed by turkey baster sperm infusion to get pregnant. No hundred percent guarantee of not transmitting it to your baby (or husband even) but proper management can decrease the chances from 30% to about 1% if I remember correctly. After birth the baby needs to take some antiretrovirals for sometime as well as being monitored closely. Please consult with a doctor experienced in these matters ASAP. When pregnant, you would need to be on a medication that doesn't harm your baby, safe for pregnancy.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 25, 2013
I commend you for being selfless.
Yes, a HIV positive mother can have a negative baby as well as a negative spouse.
I suppose you go for weekly hospital visits please go along with your fiance and speak with the Doctor who will best give you advice.
I also advice you join a support group, these issues are treated weekly at meetings.
Also to give your self a calm mind google search HIV Mothers and negative babies.
Prevention of Mother to Child transmission is recording moderately great success ratess as long as you do the right things.
Best wishes my dear
Re: . by Burger01(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
HIV infected woman could and surely have a healthy and virus free baby assuming the woman attends and registers with ANC in a Hospital that provides PMTCT ART services. At the clinic the woman would be be assessed and placed on prophylaxis during pregnancy, at birth and after pregnancy. The child would also be placed on prophylaxis and assessed regularly. Mothers can also choose to breastfeed their babies while on prophylaxis. Research and development had gone a long way to reduce mother to child infection via pregnancy. At a point in time mothers could not breastfeed their babies and this raised serious suspicions and concerns amongst family members, friends and people concerned..now that is gone.

Being infected with the virus should not be end of the world but trying to live with it and manage it and prevent further infection is our responsibilities..

Happy day to you ma..

1 Like

Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2013
Thank you all.
But how do I help to prevent my man from getting it.
You know the condom may burst sometimes, though in such situation he withdraws immediately he notices it. Am just afraid for him.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
Yes . . . A HIV-infected person can have a -ve child . .
and YES, AS+AS marriage can produce AA child . .
The questions is, is it really worth the risk of trying
@ poster, why don't you adopt undecided
Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 3:22pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ujujoan: Yes . . . A HIV-infected person can have a -ve child . .
and YES, AS+AS marriage can produce AA child . .
The questions is, is it really worth the risk of trying
@ poster, why don't you adopt undecided

My man said he is willing to risk it. I have talking him out of it, but he wouldn't listen.
I already called it quit with him, but he is still disturbing me. sometimes he accuses me of having someone else.
The reason he gave for not giving up, is that I have stood by him and I accepted him the way he is (he is SS), so he will also stand by me if I will let him.
Am just confused.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
fyne_Ijay:

My man said he is willing to risk it. I have talking him out of it, but he wouldn't listen.
I already called it quit with him, but he is still disturbing me. sometimes he accuses me of having someone else.
The reason he gave for not giving up, is that I have stood by him and I accepted him the way he is (he is SS), so he will also stand by me if I will let him.
Am just confused.

SS is not HIV my dear . . If you are AA, then your being married to an SS is NOT a health risk. It's only risky if you are AS or SS too. . .
But HIV is much more tricky!
You have to live with this disease, why bring it upon a child too . .
You should be able to take a stand and tell your man what you want. If he asks you to jump into a fire will you do it undecided
I know it's not any of my business but does your man have a death wish
He is already living with sickle cell anemia and also wants to contact HIV. I hope you really know what you are doing! undecided
Re: . by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 25, 2013
An adopted child is as good as your own child . .
Think of what good you'll do to this world by taking in an orphan and raising h/her as your own . . . you guys should really give is a thought!
Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 3:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ujujoan: An adopted child is as good as your own child . .
Think of what good you'll do to this world by taking in an orphan and raising h/her as your own . . . you guys should really give is a thought!

I will show him this, don't know, am so confused.
Re: . by Tgirl4real(f): 5:35pm On Feb 25, 2013
Should I move to health Section?
Re: . by Burger01(m): 7:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
Well, if your man is willing to go ahead that's fine. We have lota couples who are reactive and doing well. One way you can help is to adhere strictly to your Art regimen if you are already on one. keep your vl undetectable. Also, take your man to any ART clinic for drug that could act as PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) for him.
Check this link: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prep/

1 Like

Re: . by Winneygirl(f): 9:54pm On Feb 25, 2013
D likelihood of him contacting HIV will remain.

Wat I'm nt sure of is if being SS and HIV+ve is an acceptable idea.

His chances of contacting HIV are not soo high if Ur Viral Load is kept low.
D PrEP might also help, bt we need 2 understand dat HIV is continually fighting back. We cannot rule out drug resistance.

D risks are high. Very high.

In my opinion, too high.

As 4 Ur baby, U can have a healthy baby.
Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 9:57pm On Feb 25, 2013
Tgirl4real: Should I move to health Section?

Tgirl, please don't move it to health section. I already posted the same thing in the health section, I just need to get as many opinions as possible.
Thank You.
Re: . by MMotimo: 10:59pm On Feb 25, 2013
SS having unprotected sexxx with someone that is HIV positive undecided. HIV possibility in addition to an already weak immune system?
Doesn't sound like a smart idea. If he becomes HIV positive, are you willing to deal with that, in addition to your own medical care? God forbid, if the child is HIV positive too, do you have a solid plan to cope with all three of you? Would it be fair to the child?
Re: . by SisiKill1: 11:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
Awwww! Best of Luck OP! smiley
Re: . by Nobody: 12:01am On Feb 26, 2013
MMotimo: SS having unprotected sexxx with someone that is HIV positive undecided. HIV possibility in addition to an already weak immune system?
Doesn't sound like a smart idea. If he becomes HIV positive, are you willing to deal with that, in addition to your own medical care? God forbid, if the child is HIV positive too, do you have a solid plan to cope with all three of you? Would it be fair to the child?

Yup! Sounds suicidal to me.... He's already given up.
OP ... I'd say you consider @Uju's advice, your life, your choice undecided.
Re: . by MMotimo: 12:13am On Feb 26, 2013
jidegirl12:

Yup! Sounds suicidal to me.... He's already given up.
OP ... I'd say you consider @Uju's advice, your life, your choice undecided.

Sounds plausible

OP,

If you decide to go ahead, I recommend you make sure key members of his family are aware, not saying ask their permission o! Just saying make sure they know it is his wish so that you will not risk accusations of trying to kill him. My apologies if I'm being too blunt.
Re: . by baby124: 12:17am On Feb 26, 2013
hmmm!!!!!

MMotimo: SS having unprotected sexxx with someone that is HIV positive undecided. HIV possibility in addition to an already weak immune system?

lipsrsealed. IS this for real? Or is this a movie? shocked shocked shocked

OP, there is nothing wrong in you both getting married. But please, make sure he always uses a condom. And make sure if you want to give birth you guys use artificial insemination. There are ways to prevent an HIV person from transmitting the virus to their baby. You will need lots of medical intervention though. Can you afford it? Is your husband to be trying to commit suicide or he is genuinely in love. Be sure, as you dont want that on your conscience. That you killed the father of your baby. If his family should hear nko? Double wahala for deadi body o. He better understand that If he makes a baby he has to be there to be its father. His chances of being alive for a long time being SS and HIV positive are not very encouraging o.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 26, 2013
@MMotimo, Bluntness , hmmm ,isn't that what people frown at in our society?
I presumed his family are not aware and besides I'm yet to comprehend what a sickle cell guy is thinking dating a HIV positive lady in the first place. 'Love' perhaps?
OP once again sincerely no offence.
Re: . by fyneIjay(f): 12:39am On Feb 26, 2013
jidegirl12: @MMotimo, Bluntness , hmmm ,isn't that what people frown at in our society?
I presumed his family are not aware and besides I'm yet to comprehend what a sickle cell guy is thinking dating a HIV positive lady in the first place. 'Love' perhaps?
OP once again sincerely no offence.

I did not know initially that i was infected. I have tried everything possible to dissuade him, but he is saying that it seems I just want to reject him for another.
I asked about his family, and he said that it is his decision to make.
I am confused, I can't sleep, I can't eat. We both have been crying, but he sounds strong.

I finally decided to come here and share my story, cos it is stranger than fiction. I'm sure his family won't accept, because he told me to keep a secret from everyone else. That maybe God is trying his Faith.
Re: . by Nobody: 1:05am On Feb 26, 2013
I really am confused myself ...... I wish you best of luck, I will inquire bout this too. Lighten up , life's too short.

Take care.

Btw, Are you taking the 'cocktail pill'? I heard it works great.
Re: . by EfemenaXY: 1:11am On Feb 26, 2013
Wow! What a thread!

Burger01: HIV infected woman could and surely have a healthy and virus free baby assuming the woman attends and registers with ANC in a Hospital that provides PMTCT ART services. At the clinic the woman would be be assessed and placed on prophylaxis during pregnancy, at birth and after pregnancy. The child would also be placed on prophylaxis and assessed regularly. Mothers can also choose to breastfeed their babies while on prophylaxis. Research and development had gone a long way to reduce mother to child infection via pregnancy. At a point in time mothers could not breastfeed their babies and this raised serious suspicions and concerns amongst family members, friends and people concerned..now that is gone.

Being infected with the virus should not be end of the world but trying to live with it and manage it and prevent further infection is our responsibilities..

Happy day to you ma..

@Burger01, this post of yours got me thinking:

~ I thought the HIV virus gets transmitted from one person to another via exchange of body fluids? So how then can an HIV infected mother successfully breastfeed without transmitting the virus to her baby?

~ Mode of delivery: It's going to have to be via Elective Ceaserean, isn't it? As opposed to normal/natural delivery, to prevent the mother's infected blood "getting to" the newborn?

~ Can the couple safely indulge in or@l-sex? I don't mean the man on woman (that's an obvious no-no); what I mean is - the woman on the man?

~ This might sound silly, but I've just got to ask: can the virus be transmitted via kissing? I don't mean a peck on the cheeks, no. I mean via indulging in "deep-throat" kissing?
Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 1:13am On Feb 26, 2013
@op, i sincerely wish you best of luck..........
Re: . by baby124: 2:23am On Feb 26, 2013
To me sha, MouthAction is as bad as unprotected vaginal sex. A lot of STD's can be transmitted that way, so why not HIV? And HIV can be spread through MouthAction if the carrier has sores in the mouth. I have watched something where sex workers gave oral with condo*ms. *please don't ask me what" grin. Am sure those ladies know what they are doing. undecided
Re: . by Nobody: 2:55am On Feb 26, 2013
Now now I don't think OP wants tutorial bout any action lipsrsealed she wants to know if it's possible to conceive a heathy child thus her condition undecided

I think it should be moved to health section OP like Tee already suggested.
Re: . by EfemenaXY: 4:47am On Feb 26, 2013
^^ Now, now...don't be a prude Jide grin grin

If @Poster plans on tying the knot with her man, they both need to know the limits & boundaries to adhere to, if they want to practise safe sex.

Or@l sex is is a prominent feature / plays a large part in the sex@l activities of many couples...

@baby123: Yeah, I think I watched a similar program on that eons ago...good point you've got there. smiley
Re: . by Burger01(m): 6:48am On Feb 26, 2013
Efemena_xy: Wow! What a thread!

@Burger01, this post of yours got me thinking:

~ I thought the HIV virus gets transmitted from one person to another via exchange of body fluids? So how then can an HIV infected mother successfully breastfeed without transmitting the virus to her baby?[/b]

~ Mode of delivery: It's going to have to be via Elective Ceaserean, isn't it? As opposed to normal/natural delivery, to prevent the mother's infected blood "getting to" the newborn?

~ Can the couple safely indulge in or@l-sex? I don't mean the man on woman (that's an obvious no-no); what I mean is - the woman on the man?

~ This might sound silly, but I've just got to ask: can the virus be transmitted via kissing? I don't mean a peck on the cheeks, no. I mean via indulging in "deep-throat" kissing?

~ I thought the HIV virus gets transmitted from one person to another via exchange of body fluids? So how then can an HIV infected mother successfully breastfeed without transmitting the virus to her baby?

Mothers can breastfeed while on HAART. This HAART acts as prophylaxis for the duration of pregnancy, post pregnancy and breastfeeding period. That's the standard practice now so as to reduce suspicions and stigmatization.. Many patients are doing well on this.. HIV, if properly handled is just like malaria or Typhoid cases compared to cases like malignant and invasive cancer.
@Op, don't lose sleep over this issue. Only be sure you adhere to ART if eligible and if not keep to a health living lifestyle. Do things in moderation. I have friends and close people who are reactive and with understanding they been living well and happy....

Mode of delivery is through normal delivery. At this point babies are given Nevirapine as prophylactic intervention to prevent the baby from infection through birth..

Well, the risk is minimal for the woman on the man. It has not been established that one can contact infection via MouthAction on the man, except where there are cuts on the man and cuts on the woman or bleeding gums.

- This might sound silly, but I've just got to ask: can the virus be transmitted via kissing? I don't mean a peck on the cheeks, no. I mean via indulging in "deep-throat" kissing?[/quote]

According to the CDC it has not been established that saliva or deep kissing could cause infection except in cases where there gum wounds or cuts..

Cheers

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 6:53am On Feb 26, 2013
Lol ,@ Efe ,prude( maybe a little cool), I was just creeped out with everything embarassed esp when @baby mentioned mouth action with condom lipsrsealed ( normal one sef you're still gagging lipsrsealed)

God forgive me what I'm bout to say, Terminal diseases should be limited to extremely rich folks only like those politicians bamboozled our money angry.... I mean see Magic Johnson @ 50+, he looked great and healthy, he's a grandpa already, what else could he asked for in life?. That pill( cocktail is expensive)

I just feel sick to my stomach I ditched my supper tonight ( eat my salad plain embarassed) when I read the responses to this same thread on Health section.

You know what? On the contrary; I think many people living with HIV who wants to conceive could learn from this thread if we encourage OP to carry us along with her plans, it's also kinda therapeutic for her too that she's not alone.

Hi again Efe kiss
Re: . by azpekuliar: 7:41am On Feb 26, 2013
So the man na SS! Kweke! Im dey play with HIV & Sickle Cell combo, he won't last 2 years post-infection!

OP go look for a positive man to marry. All this will my boy friend contact it, what is the risk, bla bla bla will not work. Save his life, even though he's trying had to end it.

How many people even have the discipline to use protection correctly and consistently for a year talkless of till death do us part. If he loves you he can show that love in many other ways.

Abeg...A good place to start would be any of the NGOs providing
counselling services on positive living.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gift For My Pastor And Wife / Marriage Tragedy: Married Man Dumps Lady At Ikoyi Registry, Steals Her N4m / Divorcing Nigerian From America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.