Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof (9641 Views)

Senator Abe Walks On Bare Feet In His Community (Photos) / Tambuwal Meets With Nigerian Pupils In Dubai. See Photos / KIDNAP: I Slept On Bare Ground, Trekked Several Kilometres — Falae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2013
Despite promises by the Enugu state Government and its council areas that it will prioritize education in the state, DailyPost investigation has shown that the state of primary education in many parts of the state could still be described as “shameful and embarrassing”.

Our correspondent who went round the state observed that primary schools in Igbo-Etiti and Udenu council areas are among the schools neglected by the state government.

Ironically, Igbo-Etiti prides itself as the Local Government area that has produced the highest number of professors in the South-East geopolitical zone.

With over sixty professors from the council, and its immediate past local government chairman clinching the most prestigious ALGON best local government chairman award, nobody would have believed that thousands of its primary school pupils still receive their class lessons sitting on bare floors in dilapidated buildings.

To say the least, teachers also sit on their motorbikes to write lesson notes.

When DailyPost visited the Union Primary School, Akaibite , Ohebe Dim, a teacher who spoke under anonymity for fear of victimization explained that the school has been forgotten by both the state and the local government.

“In fact, this school has been forgotten by the government. There is no help whatsoever coming from the government. During rainy season, teachers and pupils are always in trouble because the roof of this building is leaking. Also in the dry season, heat is always too much here.

“Many pupils don’t attend school during rainy season for fear of the building collapsing. Painfully, this school is supposed to be the center for the Common Entrance Examination this year. But, we were denied this because we don’t have seats talk more of other facilities for the comfort of both the candidates and examiners”, he lamented.

“We have made several appeals to the government but nothing is coming our way. The parents have done the best they can all these years. So right now, we are surviving by the mercy of God, but my concern is for the pupils, because I wonder how they would compete with their counterparts in other parts of the country”, he added.

One of the pupils in primary four who said they were not happy studying on bare floor, told DailyPost that he would like to be a computer scientist.

Asked why he would like to study the course, he explained “I will invent a machine that will be able to detect when one is telling lies or not because the government people tell lies a lot. I’m not happy that our school does not have seats and tables for both the teachers and pupils.

“We are begging government to help us provide all these and even renovate our school building. Many of us sit on the floor during lessons while our teachers sit outside on their motorbike to mark our class work”

For the Chairman of the Parents’ Teachers Association chairman of the school Mr. Robert Ezike, the community’s effort had already been over stretched.

He explained that the school was built through community effort, pointing out that there was no basic facility being provided by both the local and state governments since the school started more than three decades ago.

He said: “This school was built evenhandedly by the poor community dwellers. We have cried to the government to help us at least renovate the building, all to no avail. If nothing is done to ensure the renovation of this building this year, it may collapse.

“As you can see, pupils here don’t have any seat. Teachers don’t have tables and seats. Parents here are very poor and have tasked themselves so much to run this school”.

At the Central Primary school, Ozalla, the situation seems worse. But for the presence of the pupils outside the school building, a visitor to the school will mistake the building for an oversize cave. The building that houses the over 200 pupils of the school is one pre-colonial dilapidated structure playing host to holes in their large numbers.

One of the teachers stated that they had been trying to get the attention of the government towards the completion of an abandoned school block in the school compound to no avail.

“You can see that uncompleted classroom block. It would have reduced our problems. When the headmaster was posted here in 2010, he made all efforts to see that this building was completed.

“He even got the phone number of the contractor but when he called the contractor, he said that government had not paid up the agreed contract amount to enable him finish the building.

“Another problem is that we don’t have enough seats, tables and public convenience. You can see for yourself that our pupils sit on bare floor while many sit on logs”.

He also disclosed that apart from some text books supplied by the state government this year and last year, no other help had ever come the way of the school.

“When we got to Enugu last time, they told us that they don’t have even chalk to give us. We use our money to buy chalk here. We need the help of the government here”, he pleaded.

At Egbu Primary School Amalla Orba in Udenu Council Area of the State, it was another pitiable sight.

Lamenting over the situation, one of the teachers said: “our school is in total collapse. We don’t receive any help from both the local and state government. There is no incentive whatsoever from the government. We use our money to buy chalks and other teaching materials. The headmaster provides chalk, provides seats for the pupils. Most of the pupils sit on dusty ground to receive lessons”.

More disturbing is the teacher’s ratio in the school with the over 200 hundred pupils receiving lessons from only 11 teachers.

In many other schools visited in the area, it was the same tale of woes. At Amukwu Primary School, two school blocks have already collapsed, leaving the pupils to squeeze themselves in a dilapidated block.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/02/25/photospeak-pupils-in-enugu-study-on-bare-floor-leaking-roof/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=photospeak-pupils-in-enugu-study-on-bare-floor-leaking-roof

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by seanet01: 4:09pm On Feb 25, 2013
This is too sad. Though Chime seems to be a performer. He can do more anyway.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2013
seanet01: This is too sad. Though Chime seems to be a performer. He can do more anyway.
I said it before and I reiterate that Governor Chime has performed very well in the area of roads and street lights but in the area of education and health, I score the governor ZERO.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by vlove1: 4:22pm On Feb 25, 2013
VERY SAD
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by momodub: 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2013
in this 2013? wtf are they sitting on ant hill in the second picture?

2 Likes

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by moneyhungry(m): 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
cold world.
get rich or shiver to death.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Orikinla(m): 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
[size=18pt]Seriously, do you think we have a government in this state?
And the people must be id-io-ts to accept this injustice after paying tax![/size]
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by alfredo4u(m): 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2013
:p it is well
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by MadCow1: 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2013
wow

Wait till I bring you pictures from schools in Imo State... Save your tears.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by tomakint: 4:31pm On Feb 25, 2013
Schools like this one are in their hundreds of thousands around Nigeria and this is why the 'standard of education' in Nigeria and Africa besides South Africa are not respected by the 'Whites'! What a big shame on the part of our so-called leaders cool

1 Like

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Jerrygotswagg(m): 4:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
Pls you all should vote for GEJ for 2015, I promise you that this will nt happen again, the schs will be tiles and there will be AC in all the classes..........OMG. I just remember that was he said when he was entering into power after Yaradua died
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by IleIfe2(m): 4:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
Errrr....every state in Nigeria?
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by achi4u(m): 4:35pm On Feb 25, 2013
What are their community leaders doing to improve those schools?
Or gone are the days when communities built and rehabiltate their village schools?
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Ibangap(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
And dis is news? D news shoud be if they are learning in a well built nd equiped classrooms. I guess u haven't visited even secondary schools in some states recently.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Willgates(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
Wtf....u cn neva find dis in Akwa ibom! sad

2 Likes

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by eghuan1(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
To say the truth, am a youth copper in enugu state and in udi local govt area. The head mistress of my school lacks the understanding of basic english language, lets not talk about the students now and the schools especially in the villages are a poor site
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2013
What do you expect from a state where the State governor travelled abroad for almost 5 five months only to come back to say he owed nobody apology for his absence ?

This is a big calamity.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Valto(m): 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2013
God av mercy!!! shocked shocked
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by BashMe1(m): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]Seriously, do you think we have a government in this state?
And the people must be id-io-ts to accept this injustice after paying tax![/size]

We need a strong hand 2 run dis corrupt system of govt.

Well, am bent on 2 pick Buhari....he sure will know how to deal with des ID-IO-TS dat say dey run demo-CRAZY in dis our Obodo Nigeria. After so much said and promised, Jonathan still went ahead to spend $1m for Jay Z & Beyonce's visit abi na dem be d poverty alleviation programme wey the money dey 4 nii? undecided

1 Like

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by romanlaw(m): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
AM NOT SURPRISED AT ALL. THIS IS EVEN BETTER!! ITS SAME WITH PUBLIC SCHOOLS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. MAY GOD HELP US.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 25, 2013
This calls for celebration,the governor can now attach this as his achievement in creating an "eco-friendly" environment for the pupils.But what are the works of local government chairmen in Nigeria? We hav been blaming governors a lot, maybe lg chairmen are those pocketing some funds that should be used to develop community schools o

1 Like

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by CeCeBillz(f): 4:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
Hehehe odikwa very risky! Short of wordssad
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by nwabobo: 4:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]Seriously, do you think we have a government in this state?

How many Nigerians actually pay tax?
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by litgirl22: 4:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
The state of basic amenities in ALL OF NIGERIA is rubbish, but governors such as Chime think they can deceive the masses with beautification and so-called FDI in the form shoprite.

Banana republic. A big shame.....Nigeria has yet to to be led by a real and sincere hero. All her leaders are concerned with showy and superficial achievements to solicit stooopid praise while foundational issues are left to rot.

No incentive for indigenous industrialization.
No world class educational institutions to graduate the best brains in any field
No law and order
No constant electricity
No healthcare
No welfare for the old, disabled, abused and abandoned
No police
No infrastructure for mass transportation
No religious or ethnic tolerance. Killing, killing, quarreling, killing
NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Who frigging cares about some street flowers and shopping malls??

5 Likes

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2013
Bash Me:

We need a strong hand 2 run dis corrupt system of govt.

Well, am bent on 2 pick Buhari....he sure will know how to deal with des ID-IO-TS dat say dey run demo-CRAZY in dis our Obodo Nigeria. After so much said and promised, Jonathan still went ahead to spend $1m for Jay Z & Beyonce's visit abi na dem be d poverty alleviation programme wey the money dey 4 nii? undecided
Buhari will not solve Nigeria's prob. Let's vote for people from unknown parties, I mean new guys with sound academic qualifications. Buhari was and is still part of our prob.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by JahMan1: 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
Do you guys want to try Abia State?
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Exponental(m): 5:04pm On Feb 25, 2013
Thank you NL 4 bringing dis up.......pls spread d gossip so as 2 facilate improvement.
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Akshow: 5:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
If na Lagos state some bigot will cry foul about tax payer money as if its only them that pay tax. They spend their days lookin for how to bring Fashola down when they should be holdin their executives accountable.

2 Likes

Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 25, 2013
and his fvcking excuse would be "I went abroad to treat nose cancer" angry

shameful and embarrassing
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by TeenageMoney(m): 5:13pm On Feb 25, 2013
This Is My LGA ooo... Bt I av'nt gone to those places in the post through out ma Life... What A Pity... My Area Is Not Bad in terms Of Education and schooling
Re: Pupils In Enugu Study On Bare-Floor, Leaking Roof by Ejine(m): 5:14pm On Feb 25, 2013
Mad Cow: wow

Wait till I bring you pictures from schools in Imo State... Save your tears.

Your antics stopped being funny a long time ago, my brother undecided

You're now an embarrassment undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Terrorism: Mark Seeks Ban Of Almajiri System / Yoruba In The Hands Of Gen Buhari When He Was The Head Of States / Lagos CJ Frees 153 Kirikiri Inmates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.