Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Peugeot 508, have your say - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 508, have your say (5064 Views)

New Peugeot 508: Motion & Emotion Truly! / 2015 Peugeot 508: Review, Specification & Price / Peugeot 406: How Reliable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 4:11pm On Feb 25, 2013
was at one of my suppliers (Peugeot dealer) stand today to pick up a car and saw this wonderful 508 also for sell. out of curiosity i requested to test drive it, honestly i was not disappointed at all. Peugeot as finally produce a wonderful luxury car that can compete with Camry and many more.
from my own point of view, compare to 607 this is far better off

house what do you feel grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 4:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
My only issue with the 508 is the FWD and no V6. Even the GT model doesnt have a stick option.

Aside that, its a nice looking car. The number of 508, including the new 408, is increasing on the road, here in Abuja, everyday.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 5:28pm On Feb 25, 2013
you are right Ikenna, but the present engine sounds and pull great even though it's a FWD.
from my own point of few,they are not eager, ready to produce a v6 engine following the issues they have with the previous ones(406, 407..)
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2013
frenchbase: you are right Ikenna, but the present engine sounds and pull great even though it's a FWD.
from my own point of few,they are not eager, ready to produce a v6 engine following the issues they have with the previous ones(406, 407..)

Issues? Care to elaborate? Because the last time i checked, the ES9J4S, V6 engine in Phase II 406, 407 & 607 had no peculiar issue.

I want to believe they are after fuel economy. I would go for the GT version, if they will produce a stick one in future, even though its diesel. But, I prefer a Naturally Aspirated engine over a Turbocharged engine.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 25, 2013
Thanks to lousy emission laws and eurozone fuel economy targets...carmakers are all downsizing their powerplants to meet up. I doubt if peugeot will unveil a V6 variant of the 508,unless it spawns a coupe variant from the current platform. Naturally aspirated high performance engines are dying in the industry- Bmw dropped their V10 in favour of bi-turbo V8s in their ///M variants , Audi dropped their lamborghini V10 and switched to a twin-turbo 4.0 V8...its now a sad trend (sorry for the thread diversion).

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 7:32pm On Feb 25, 2013
platinumricky: Thanks to lousy emission laws and eurozone fuel economy targets...carmakers are all downsizing their powerplants to meet up. I doubt if peugeot will unveil a V6 variant of the 508,unless it spawns a coupe variant from the current platform. Naturally aspirated high performance engines are dying in the industry- Bmw dropped their V10 in favour of bi-turbo V8s in their ///M variants , Audi dropped their lamborghini V10 and switched to a twin-turbo 4.0 V8...its now a sad trend (sorry for the thread diversion).

I didnt know other brands have joined the chorus.

Well, the way out for those of us in Nigeria is to switch to diesels, since thats were they are upgrading, and then downgrading on the petrol engine. You can imagine were the highest petrol engine in 508 is 2.0 L (145 hp), while the top diesel engine in the 508 is 2.2 (201 hp). But am yet to find out the 2.3 L (170 hp) fuel type: diesel or petrol. Whichever, diesel got the best engine in 508.

If there is accessibility of diesel engine parts in Nigeria, I wouldnt mind to switch to diesel, since i will be doing the repairs myself. After all, I stand to gain more fuel economy, even with more power. At least, it will do a good job as daily driver, while the powerful petrol one serves as a weekend car, for catching of fun.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

I didnt know other brands have joined the chorus.

Well, the way out for those of us in Nigeria is to switch to diesels, since thats were they are upgrading, and then downgrading on the petrol engine. You can imagine were the highest petrol engine in 508 is 2.0 L (147 hp), while the top diesel engine in the 508 is 2.2 (204 hp). But am yet to find out the 2.3 L (170 hp) fuel type: diesel or petrol. Whichever, diesel got the best engine in 508.

If there is accessibility of diesel engine parts in Nigeria, I wouldnt mind to switch to diesel, since i will be doing the repairs myself. After all, I stand to gain more fuel economy, even with more power. At least, it will do a good job as daily driver, while the powerful petrol one serves as a weekend car, for catching of fun.

Ikenna.
Am a diesel fan too, i believe they are underrated here because of the negative stereotypes associated with oldschool diesel engines . New generation common-rail diesel engines are as silent as their petrol counterparts and are far more fuel efficient (a gallon of diesel produces abt 35% more energy than petrol when burnt), they also produce more torque. On the down side, their maintenance intervals are shorter...(so they have to be taken for servicing more often) and their parts are not that common.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Lexusgs430: 8:57pm On Feb 25, 2013
Also not forgetting the e-HDI Hybrid4 model.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2013
Lexusgs430: Also not forgetting the e-HDI Hybrid4 model.
I think that peugeot e-HDi Hybrid4 is ahead of its time. Peugeot should have made it a petrol hybrid with a haldex AWD system...creating a diesel hybrid is an overkill.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 9:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
platinumricky:
I think that peugeot e-HDi Hybrid4 is ahead of its time. Peugeot should have made it a petrol hybrid with a haldex AWD system...creating a diesel hybrid is an overkill.

Could be because more Europeans are going for Diesel cars these days, unlike the North Americans. So the diesel hybrid will make sense to Europeans, which means good market for Peugeot. But what about us na? If thats all they have to offer to the competitive market, why not come down here and promote their HDIs and e-HDI Hybrid4? An average Nigerian would love a car he will only visit a fuel station once in 2 months to refill the fuel tank. Before you know it, everyone will switch to diesel cars. After all, Nigerians are good at "follow-follow".

But seriously, the 508 e-HDI Hybrid4, that average 61 - 74 mpg, will really make sense for a daily driver. I would love to have one o! grin

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

Could be because more Europeans are going for Diesel cars these days, unlike the North Americans. So the diesel hybrid will make sense to Europeans, which means good market for Peugeot. But what about us na? If thats all they have to offer to the competitive market, why not come down here and promote their HDIs and e-HDI Hybrid4? An average Nigerian would love a car he will only visit a fuel station once in 2 months to refill the fuel tank. Before you know it, everyone will switch to diesel cars. After all, Nigerians are good at "follow-follow".

But seriously, the 508 e-HDI Hybrid4, that average 74 mpg on highway & 61 mpg in the city, will really make sense for a daily driver. I would love to have one o! grin

Ikenna.
Peugeot HDI hybrids aren't targeted @ emerging markets like ours. Am not a fan of hybrids....even though i appreciate the tech behind them, they aint my cup of tea. They would eventually become mobile-headaches-on-wheels when they start ageing. I think its high time we embrace diesels here...some diesels like the VW touareg V10 tdi, Audi Q7 W12 tdi, BMW M550d (f10),VW Golf GTd and Mercedes E320cdi (W212) will embarrass a lot of petrol powered vehicles on the highway with their performance. Do u know if peugeot HDIs use urea to 'purify' their emissions?
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 10:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
platinumricky: Peugeot HDI hybrids aren't targeted @ emerging markets like ours. Am not a fan of hybrids....even though i appreciate the tech behind them, they aint my cup of tea. They would eventually become mobile-headaches-on-wheels when they start ageing. I think its high time we embrace diesels here...some diesels like the VW touareg V10 tdi, Audi Q7 W12 tdi, BMW M550d (f10),VW Golf GTd and Mercedes E320cdi (W212) will embarrass a lot of petrol powered vehicles on the highway with their performance. Do u know if peugeot HDIs use urea to 'purify' their emissions?

I really dont know much about the HDIs. But I do know that they return good mpg.

If Federal govt really want to remove fuel subsidy completely, this is another means of making it happen, without the masses attack. Lol! They have to find a way to encourage and promote diesel automobiles for private cars in Nigeria. They have the media and could discuss with car dealerships to start bringing in diesel cars and their parts as well, by slashing down the import duties of diesel cars and parts. Once our brothers importing car parts see that diesel cars are now moving the Nigerian market, they will switch to importing diesel engine parts, since the demand will be high as well. As for the diesel mechanics, we can always deal with that. After all, even the petrol engines, dem no sabi repair. So we can take our chances with the diesels. As for me, i will be diagnosing and fixing mine myself. cool

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 10:46pm On Feb 25, 2013
guys an end will soon come to the diesel engine. its been proven scientifically to be dangerous for human health, soon diesel engine rides will be banned from been used in cities back here in France and i believe other European countries are working on such projects too.
as for the Peugeot 508 there are 3 interesting petrol engines you can go for 1.6 L THP (156hp),2.0 L (147hp),2.3 L (171hp)
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2013
frenchbase: guys and end will soon come to the diesel engine. they have just proved it scientifically to be dangerous for human health, soon diesel engine rides will be ban from been use in cities back here in France and i believe other European countries are working of such projects too.

Back to square one. grin

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 11:01pm On Feb 25, 2013
yes o ikenna, back to the root
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by camaro(m): 8:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
I can speak at the moment, I have my boss platiniumricky on the wheels. I hail you sir, your boy kelechi is ever loyal. Twale
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 1:44am On Feb 28, 2013
frenchbase: guys and end will soon come to the diesel engine. they have just proved it scientifically to be dangerous for human health, soon diesel engine rides will be ban from been use in cities back here in France and i believe other European countries are working of such projects too.
as for the Peugeot 508 there are 3 interesting petrol engines you can go for 1.6 L THP (156hp),2.0 L (147hp),2.3 L (171hp)

You were right.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/french-politicians-aim-to-ban-diesels-from-big-cities.html

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 6:46am On Feb 28, 2013
Ikenna351:

You were right.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/french-politicians-aim-to-ban-diesels-from-big-cities.html

Ikenna
this is serious! ....when they eventually ban the sale of diesel, i would like to see what their heavy duty worktrucks will start using.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Nobody: 6:48am On Feb 28, 2013
camaro: I can speak at the moment, I have my boss platiniumricky on the wheels. I hail you sir, your boy kelechi is ever loyal. Twale
dude, howdie?
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by cardoctor(m): 7:43am On Feb 28, 2013
Lovely car with so much to give.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 10:31am On Feb 28, 2013
car- doctor,

you said it all
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Emperoh(m): 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
I still don't understand why Peugeot isn't interested in the North American market
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 4:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
Emperoh: I still don't understand why Peugeot isn't interested in the North American market

Peugeot was in North American Market (US & Canada) but left in early '90s.

In the late '80s, the US govt had an issue with Peugeot over the the late 505 (Series II) & 405, which were the new Peugeots in the market then. The Govt complained that both cars had no Airbag. Because of that, they were declared unsafe to the public. The sale took a downward turn. Very few people had the courage to buy the newly introduced 405, while those that have used the early 505 (series I) that knew that even without airbag, the car was still safe enough, went on to purchase the newly facelifted 505 introduced in the market with 405. But then, the sales were declining, such that Peugeot didnt bother to introduce into the North American market the newly produced 605 in 1989 (still without airbag), since the market was no longer favouring them. Finally, they packed and left in 1993 or so.

406 was produced and introduced in European market in 1995, which happened to be their first product with airbag. But the rate at which the 406 was selling in Europe made them lost interest of going back to North American market. Europe accepted Peugeot cars well, even when they had no airbags. So, they chose to remain in the moving markets: Europe, Asia, Middle East & Africa.

Meanwhile, while Peugeot was out of North America, Japanese took over the North American auto market in the early '90s. So re-entering the market maynot work out well for them, since they have already lost the market to Japs.

Thats what I gathered.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
that was the greatest mistake Peugeot did. they are now working toward establishing new relation with the north american people by merging up with GM motors.
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 9:38pm On Feb 28, 2013
One thing i like about the 508 sedan is the tail light: the Lion claws mark. They did a good job there.

Ikenna.

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Ikenna351(m): 9:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hmm! Not bad.

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by frenchbase(m): 10:18am On Mar 01, 2013
the design is wonderful. grin am in love grin grin grin shocked
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by id4sho(m): 8:48pm On Apr 04, 2019
Ikenna351:

In the late '80s, the US govt had an issue with Peugeot over the the late 505 (Series II) & 405, which were the new Peugeots in the market then. The Govt complained that both cars had no Airbag. Because of that, they were declared unsafe to the public. The sale took a downward turn. Very few people had the courage to buy the newly introduced 405, while those that have used the early 505 (series I) that knew that even without airbag, the car was still safe enough, went on to purchase the newly facelifted 505 introduced in the market with 405. But then, the sales were declining, such that Peugeot didnt bother to introduce into the North American market the newly produced 605 in 1989 (still without airbag), since the market was no longer favouring them. Finally, they packed and left in 1993 or so.

406 was produced and introduced in European market in 1995, which happened to be their first product with airbag. But the rate at which the 406 was selling in Europe made them lost interest of going back to North American market. Europe accepted Peugeot cars well, even when they had no airbags. So, they chose to remain in the moving markets: Europe, Asia, Middle East & Africa.

Meanwhile, while Peugeot was out of North America, Japanese took over the North American auto market in the early '90s. So re-entering the market maynot work out well for them, since they have already lost the market to Japs.

Thats what I gathered.

Ikenna.
interesting
Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by fabienjoe: 2:07pm On Apr 05, 2019
Ikenna351:

Thats what I gathered.

Ikenna.

No self respecting carmaker would lose interest in North American market no matter how many units it moves in Europe. Peugeot simply couldn't match the Japanese in the US. It's not so much the inferior quality of their products as the unique demands of Americans. Americans love easy no-frills driving while Europeans would prefer a more engaging vehicle. For example, manual transmission is all but dead in the US but European still buy them today. Lexus with all its acclaimed success in the US, still struggles in Europe. Honda is cosidering discontinuing the Accord while Toyota is floundering from Camry to avensis and back to Camry, without any foothold in Europe. Nissan and Mazda are still not mainstream in Europe. Yet, Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Infiniti etc are well established brands in the US. Peugeot has not cracked the US since the glory days of 505. They however, are still looking for ways to get back into that market.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 508, have your say by Idaytesj29(m): 7:21pm On Mar 11, 2021
fabienjoe:

No self respecting carmaker would lose interest in North American market no matter how many units it moves in Europe. Peugeot simply couldn't match the Japanese in the US. It's not so much the inferior quality of their products as the unique demands of Americans. Americans love easy no-frills driving while Europeans would prefer a more engaging vehicle. For example, manual transmission is all but dead in the US but European still buy them today. Lexus with all its acclaimed success in the US, still struggles in Europe. Honda is cosidering discontinuing the Accord while Toyota is floundering from Camry to avensis and back to Camry, without any foothold in Europe. Nissan and Mazda are still not mainstream in Europe. Yet, Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Infiniti etc are well established brands in the US. Peugeot has not cracked the US since the glory days of 505. They however, are still looking for ways to get back into that market.

I enjoy all the analysis, my own submission is that, PSA Group has a chance now to enter the US market. The time is now!

(1) (Reply)

Please! Is My Car Repairable??? (photos) / Negotiating Bends At High Speed / Checkout The Engine I Bought Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.