Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String (1386 Views)

How Do Go About Building A Database Management System For My Church? / Retrieving/selecting A Particular Number Of Random Rows From A Database Table / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 11:19pm On Feb 25, 2013
Good Day Nairalanders am currently working on an invention on the .NET Framework of a database that does not require any connection string of any sort, neither does it require a database server for you to create tables and all

Instead the data is embedded and stored in the current system you are using. That means no more SQL statements, no more dependences (from .NET 2.0 above)

Am calling it intDB.NET (Internal Database for .NET). It will run on desktop and web apps (and soon for mobile)

I will like to know your thoughts on this

Thank you
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by prodam(m): 4:44pm On Feb 26, 2013
no more database servers? ok probably.
no more connection string? IMPOSSIBLE. The reason is that you are storing data somewhere, ur app has to connect to that source..any way in which it does that, requires a connection string to be stated..even in LINQ and object data source, a connectn string iz required.

no more SQL statement? is that a good news? for me its NO..cos they are sooo easy to write especially with .net framework.
also if u are nt gaun be using SQL statements, u may be using a more complex something/process to communicate with the storage area of system.(pc)
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 6:58pm On Feb 26, 2013
@prodam have you heard of object dbs like db4o they do not have connection string. You just initialize the file and serialize the data into the file.

Also they do not use SQL statements. Have you ever heard about "NoSQL"? So there are easier things and faster things than SQL. Though this my tech is new but it is built on ObjectDB not the Cliche Relational DB Systems

Object datasource and LINQ still connect to a Relation Database somewhere (Oracle, MSSQL, etc). This is not some kind of ORM it is a database on its own

Thanks for your comment i would like to hear more from you
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nobody: 6:10am On Feb 27, 2013
that is good, i was going to mention "mango database" - as a type of NoSQL database. Keep up the good work @op.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 4:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thanks @dhtml at first

@dhtml please do you program in .NET too? I would like to have some Nigerian Developers who will use it and test it for real life scenarios and tell me the drawbacks and what they think
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ride on bro. Eagerly waiting to test...
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 9:36pm On Feb 27, 2013
@sunical thanks you program on .NET i guess
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nobody: 5:48am On Mar 08, 2013
nimboya: Thanks @dhtml at first

@dhtml please do you program in .NET too? I would like to have some Nigerian Developers who will use it and test it for real life scenarios and tell me the drawbacks and what they think
Nay, i am a .net beginner, but i can test it once you are done. I once made a php script however that allows storage into flat text files and uses sql to store, retrieve, update and delete. You can find it on my blog, or just search for flatsql in google - it should be the first result - if you are interested
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by naijaswag1: 7:55am On Mar 08, 2013
nimboya: Good Day Nairalanders am currently working on an invention on the .NET Framework of a database that does not require any connection string of any sort, neither does it require a database server for you to create tables and all

Instead the data is embedded and stored in the current system you are using. That means no more SQL statements, no more dependences (from .NET 2.0 above)

Am calling it intDB.NET (Internal Database for .NET). It will run on desktop and web apps (and soon for mobile)

I will like to know your thoughts on this

Thank you

How about accessing that database from my village when it is on a computer in Lagos. What happens to centralized database management to enable back up, multiple application sharing the same database, I guess this invention is not for large scale data computing? You see the thing about the next big thing is that proponents make so much noise about a phenomenon as if it is going to replace the other. I remembered it was cloud this, cloud that last year and the previous! We are still on earth not in the cloud yet and I don't think anyone is moving our whole infrastructure to the cloud as touted.

Gone on with your invention, instead of connection string, we now initialize a file,that's doing the same thing another way. There must be handshake, telling one application it's talking to the other. Find a way of calling it magically so we know you have eliminated connection string.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by netesy(m): 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
Waiting to test it. Yeah i work with .NET
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2013
@naija_swag

No oga. I am no initializing a file. Not at all far from dat. More over. You have not seen what i have don so far. Why are u already talking about Access a db from you village. Please Oracle started from Single system and Microsoft before they moved into networked DB systems.

Oga abeg. Am still working on it ok. The first VS Solution is on box

https://www.box.com/s/r5ohehjuhb0sj7ij51d6

For now it is just a test on VB i will do the real stuff on C# and upload d usage and dll file

The retrieval is VERY EXTREMELY SLOW. But the insertion is fast. Still working on the other DB Operations sha
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nov1ce(m): 5:56am On Mar 09, 2013
*dhtml:
that is good, i was going to mention "mango database" - as a type of NoSQL database. Keep up the good work @op.
Mango ke It's MongoDB...
*passing by*
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by naijaswag1: 5:29pm On Mar 09, 2013
nimboya: @naija_swag

No oga. I am no initializing a file. Not at all far from dat. More over. You have not seen what i have don so far. Why are u already talking about Access a db from you village. Please Oracle started from Single system and Microsoft before they moved into networked DB systems.

Oga abeg. Am still working on it ok. The first VS Solution is on box

https://www.box.com/s/r5ohehjuhb0sj7ij51d6

For now it is just a test on VB i will do the real stuff on C# and upload d usage and dll file

The retrieval is VERY EXTREMELY SLOW. But the insertion is fast. Still working on the other DB Operations sha

Actually, am always critical. Developing a database, whether it is standalone or networked based, SQL or noSQL, relational or non-relational or anything is not an activity for the faint hearted. When you are done, having a JDBC driver wouldn't be a bad idea, so I can run it from my Java environment.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by nimboya: 7:47pm On Mar 10, 2013
@naija_swag

Oga this one i am building is not for Java it is strictly for .NET, when am done with it. I will start work on the Java version ok? Then you wont need a JDBC driver.

Oga i will like you to Google: db4o and get an idea of what am talking about
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by baerz(m): 2:03am On Mar 17, 2013
Pls programmers where can I download a plug n play oracle 11g database. Help needed
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nov1ce:
Mango ke It's MongoDB...
*passing by*
Sorry, i was hungry as at the time of the former posting (hmn, immagining a database full of mangoes)!!

Disclaimer: No mangoes were stolen, eaten or abused in any form during my posting of this thread.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nov1ce(m): 9:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
*dhtml:

Sorry, i was hungry as at the time of the former posting (hmn, immagining a database full of mangoes)!!

Disclaimer: No mangoes were stolen, eaten or abused in any form during my posting of this thread.
Hehehe!
No wahala!
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by javadoctor(m): 6:43am On Mar 20, 2013
What typa database doesn't require a server? Abi na bluetooth ? If u don't require a server where would d files be stored? I tink u shld consider that in ur invention,is it going to be inserted in our brain like a chip? All the best.when laplace was saying absurd stuff in the 19th century bout transforming the time domain into frequency domain,I dint make sense until nw we use it our mobile technology. All the best.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
SQLite does not require a server, and is crossplatform. . .
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by AZeD1(m): 8:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
*dhtml:
SQLite does not require a server, and is crossplatform. . .
SQLite is for small to meduim applications are it can't be shared.
Re: Database Without A Database Server Or Connection String by lordZOUGA(m): 12:19am On Mar 29, 2013
A-ZeD:

SQLite is for small to meduim applications are it can't be shared.
I don't think sqlite is limited to a range of apps

(1) (Reply)

Am I Supposed To Earn More Or Less Being A Software Developer / Optimizations: Some Sketchy Rants / Simplex Media Converter download link available !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.