Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,702 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc (12202 Views)

Offences That Will Kick You Out Of NYSC / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A Clo / List Of NYSC States' Orientation Camp And Secretariats Addresses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Damest09(f): 8:45pm On May 04, 2006
Hi to everyone,

Can you please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of NYSC cos I'm not in Nigeria at the moment and I'm not sure if  it will do me any good or not if i decide to do it.

Please i need true advice and it will be much appreciated.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by whiteroses(f): 9:14pm On May 04, 2006
if you want to work in nigeria it's a great advantage cos all nysc are recognised by government and out of all ppl that comes for job interview nysc ppl goes first before they sort others out, the disad is that it's a waste of time to private jobs like private hospitals or chambers.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by debosky(m): 1:37am On May 05, 2006
NYSC is a well intentioned program, but it really sucks when it comes to implementation (what in nigeria doesn't?). advantages are that you get to meet people from all over the country and make new bonds and friendships. It however can be really frustrating, and since you'll be coming in from outside nigeria, it could be quite rough. you could be posted to a remote part of the country that takes hours to get to with terrible roads, little or no electricity and no basic amenities. if you're in the medical field, you'll tend to get some preferential treatment and it may not be so bad. On the other hand, yyou could get posted to Lagos, Abuja, Port-Harcourt or some other 'major' town, life is not as bad there, especially if you get a placement at a private company. My advice is that you do it, but come to nigeria and stay a while before starting to acclamatise. You can try to find out about preferential posting (i heard foreign grads can get posted to major cities if they so choose, but i don't know if it actually works), and other info. I forgot to mention the 3 week camp experience, it can be pretty rough, ( poor sanitation, cramped living quarters not to talk of all the marching and military drills). I served in Zamfara state before leaving Nigeria, it was one of the most interesting experiences i will ever have. I encourage you to do it, but make sure you can handle it first!
Yeah its also needed (the certificate that is) if you want to work in nigeria, so maybe thats an added incentive. IM me sometime on yahoo maybe i can tell u more
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Hotstepper(f): 2:01am On May 05, 2006
people who studied abroad and wants to do it get to choose what city or state they want
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by bolex(m): 7:19am On May 05, 2006
i really need the experience of this thing

am not sure if am gonna do it though

grin

chics wink u get to meet chhiiiiiiicccccssss
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by kimba(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2006
Advantages of the NYSC,
- the only good thing is that you are busy for 1-yr, thats all, but the catch is:
(1) what ure busy with - I have a friend who did his NYSC under a tree, as in that was where his office-table was. He was like a receptionist(he read B.Sc Mathematics) in a local govt office, somewhere far-north, and peepl had to sign the register before and after their appointment at the LG office. All the NYSC pics he took were under the tree. cheesy cheesy

(2) where you are posted - as a foreign grad, just go to the HQ in Abuja, and tell them you dont understand any nigerian dialect. You can choose where you wish to be posted to, most of us Chose Abuja, PH or Lag, depends on where you have relatives/accomodation. Camp is great, where all the foreign grads and JJCs gather together, begin to rap and get jigi, that doesnt mean you wont make some enemies as a result,

(3) if you can "make the necessary arrangements", tho, you could stay at home and have someone to report for you, or you can even do the service inside your house!! grin grin

(4) if you can make "a high-level-necessary arrangements", you could even fly into Nigeria after the NYSC enrollment, after the NYSC national posting, even 3-weeks after resumption, and you can still resume your own posting at Asokoro!!!

(5) With a longer leg, your NYSC discharge certficate could even be posted to you in the U.K

its Nigeria, all things are possible.

Lastly, prepare for Malaria shocked shocked shocked
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Damest09(f): 4:08pm On May 05, 2006
Thanks everyone for replying. It seems that despite the disadvantages, it's a great experience and almost most have experience in Nigeria. Thank you.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by beyonce1(f): 4:29am On May 06, 2006
Damest09:

Thanks everyone for replying. It seems that despite the disadvantages, it's a great experience and almost most have experience in Nigeria. Thank you.

THE BEST EXPERIENCE U COULD EVER HAVE is the three weeks in camp . I served in Ogun state and unlike other states who complained of this and that ,,,,We had the best COMMANDANT who showed so much interest in our WELL-BEING,,,,, the foods were tooooo good , of course there were mosquitoes so have to be armed with your bed net and insecticide whichever way there will be a solution and then get whatever else from the MAMMY market ! also the millitary drills , sports ! I wish I could rewind those days.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by bolex(m): 3:03pm On May 06, 2006
ogun state for u wink
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by eveseh(f): 5:49pm On May 06, 2006
don know??
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by toyex: 4:27pm On May 09, 2006
It helps an average Nigerian youth to appreciate the diversity.
It helps tocreate a better understanding of other peoples and cultures.
It exposes rural areas to ideas from urban centres.
It creates lasting friendships between people from different families, backgrounds, social standing etc

It enables our thieving leaders to avoid employing qualified personnel because corpers will always come to do the job.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 11, 2006
If u are already in a relationship, its unlikey you two will still be together by the time u r through with NYSC, have seen it happen again and again
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by tipsy289(m): 9:41pm On May 11, 2006
NYSC is just like bootcamp, u dont expect much unless u happen to go to the city,its betta 4 u.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by beyonce1(f): 10:06pm On May 11, 2006
sopescott:

If u are already in a relationship, its unlikey you two will still be together by the time you're through with NYSC, have seen it happen again and again

YEAH ! that is so true ! talk about guys jumping up and down all excited because they got posted to UYO, Akwa Ibom undecided
Dem talk say those girls HOT!  shocked !.
I would do all I could , to make my guy RE-DEPLOY! If not, he gets his last KISS cheesy grin!
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Nobody: 8:52am On May 31, 2006
well 4 me its not interesting. i feel its a waste of time especially after wokin a whole year and notin 2 show 4 it.its just dat its compulsory as a nigerian 2 serve d nation. am 2 do mine by september dis year and i pray Gods give me d grace to.i wud encourage though to stil participate.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Nysc by Abukola853: 12:47pm On Jul 06, 2021
Hello,
I have been redeployed to Ibadan for Nysc right naw am in search of ppa I study accounting preferable any accounting firm or bank that need nysc corp member pls kindly help a sis in need 09064928361.

(1) (Reply)

Relocation, vacation, study abroad and scholarship gist / Deferring NYSC / Posted to Abia State, NYSC Batch B 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.