Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,549 members, 7,837,103 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech (7036 Views)

A Cobra That Was Killed In My House This Early Morning / Six Tips On How To Recognise A Really Genuine And Sincere Internet Guru / Study: Babies Born By C-section Have A Higher Risk Of Developing Health Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Lilimax(f): 4:24pm On Feb 26, 2013
Brain scans reveal babies born THREE MONTHS early can recognise human speech - and even distinguish between male and female voices.
Babies born up to three months premature can recognise different syllables in human speech, say scientists.
A study showed similarities in the way the brain processes language in the new-borns and adults - including specific neurological reactions to changes from the 'ba' to 'ga' sound and to a male to female voices.
Professor Fabrice Wallois, of Picardie University in Amiens, France, said the findings suggest that early in the development of the brain it begins to decipher distinct sounds or 'phonemes'.
He said as early as three months before birth a baby's brain establishes neural functions that help decipher human speech.
At birth children can discriminate some syllables and recognise human speech but how these immature brain cells process it remains unclear.
Using powerful non-invasive scanners Prof Wallois and colleagues analysed 12 sleeping premature infants born after 28 to 32 weeks while playing voice recordings.
This is the earliest age for neuronal responses to external stimuli and Prof Wallois found the premature brain can perceive differences in syllables.
In addition although the tests produced responses in the right frontal region of the brain - the first part of the brain to form - syllabic changes also sparked responses in the left hemisphere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2284341/Babies-born-THREE-MONTHS-early-recognise-human-speech.html
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Charbless(m): 5:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
Notin dem no go tell us oooh

1 Like

Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by babarazy: 4:12pm On Mar 01, 2013
I ve nothing †☺ say. I just want M̶̲̥̅̊y̶̲̥̅̊ posts †☺ increase, dats all.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by SamMilla1(m): 4:15pm On Mar 01, 2013
It seems Nigerian babies are way ahead.
Some are born with Koran tied to their tiny arms while some are born with crosses hanging on their necks.
Even our two year olds can recite the Koran or Bible which I, Sam Milla surprisingly and suspiciously have not been able to achieve in my whole 30years on planet earth.

This oyibo people should join nairaland to find out how far ahead we are in Science

7 Likes

Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by EASY39(m): 4:16pm On Mar 01, 2013
Opin aye ti de tan,END TIME HAS COME
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by cleverj01(m): 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ara!(wonders)
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by gerrardomendes(m): 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2013
3rd to comment. if they like,mek dem blow vuvuzela 4 stomach.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 01, 2013
All these yankee scientists nor go stop to dey tell us fairy tale wen no concern us
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:26pm On Mar 01, 2013
Space for sale
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Sweetapple007(f): 4:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
Thank God.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by YorubaOmoge: 4:28pm On Mar 01, 2013
Sam Milla: It seems Nigerian babies are way ahead.
Some are born with Koran while some are born with crosses.
This oyibo people should join nairaland to find out how far ahead we are in Science

ROTFLMAO grin
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 01, 2013
A very interesting and informative topic of 26th Feb, managed to struggle its way to the front page on 1st march. still scrambling on one page.
unfortunately, people are more interested in pictures of publicity stunt naija celebs with no positive influence on our society.
God help us!!!

1 Like

Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by remecy(f): 4:29pm On Mar 01, 2013
That is why most preterms (premature) are super brilliant even among their peers

1 Like

Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 01, 2013
I so much love the way of science. Prematures often grow up to be as strong as mike tykson
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by iammodel(m): 4:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
Loooooolzzzzzzzz
just came2type dat4some of d comments above me, didn't want to comment.

Seriously, and the implication of this is?
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by iammodel(m): 4:35pm On Mar 01, 2013
Sweetapple007: Thank God.

so you are one of the... grin
Sweetapple007: Thank God.

so you are one of the...
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ok ...

They can also associate a particular smell with pain.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Samelfisha(m): 4:39pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ok...next plz
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Lilimax(f): 4:50pm On Mar 01, 2013
remecy: That is why most preterms (premature) are super brilliant even among their peers
Very correct. Children born prematurely are often very bright in school coming out with good grades. God have a way of doing His things...
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
Lilimax:
Very correct. Children born prematurely are often very bright in school coming out with good grades. God have a way of doing His things...

This can go both ways.

I have 3 preemies. 29 27 26 weeks gestation.. My 29 and 26 weekers are very brilliant and it shows in their work. My 27 weeker is severely globally delayed. He is very smart but has a hard time carrying it over to his work.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by YorubaOmoge: 5:05pm On Mar 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

This can go both ways.

I have 3 preemies. 29 27 26 weeks gestation.. My 29 and 26 weekers are very brilliant and it shows in their work. My 27 weeker is severely globally delayed. He is very smart but has a hard time carrying it over to his work.

I heard that premature babies are more likely to be obese later in life.
I also heard that they're "duller" or for lack of better term, absorb knowledge at a slower pace than a normal kid.
I know one premature Nigerian girl like that; she's very slow, as in, common sense is not very common. She easily bends to peer pressure.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 01, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

I heard that premature babies are more likely to be obese later in life.
I also heard that they're "duller" or for lack of better term, absorb knowledge at a slower pace than a normal kid.
I know one premature Nigerian girl like that; she's very slow, as in, common sense is not very common. She easily bends to peer pressure.

Ive never heard the obese thing. In fact quite opposite. Preemies do tend to be more delayed for various reasons but most seem to catch up by age 2 .. but school brings about other issues and hss a way of uncovering delays and if they had issues like IVH (brain bleed) then it could be worse.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by YorubaOmoge: 5:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Ive never heard the obese thing. In fact quite opposite. Preemies do tend to be more delayed for various reasons but most seem to catch up by age 2 .. but school brings about other issues and hss a way of uncovering delays and if they had issues like IVH (brain bleed) then it could be worse.

Hmm read something about it. Can't recall.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by toykathy(f): 5:36pm On Mar 01, 2013
make dem dey come with different researchs. As for me and my household, I reject premature born babies
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 01, 2013
toykathy: make dem dey come with different researchs. As for me and my household, I reject premature born babies

As if anybody asks for it?

SMH.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by YorubaOmoge: 5:46pm On Mar 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

As if anybody asks for it?

SMH.

LOL You're dealing with Nigerians now. They have the power to select only what is considered socially acceptable for their children.

God gave them the power to "Reject".
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 01, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

LOL You're dealing with Nigerians now. They have the power to select only what is considered socially acceptable for their children.

God gave them the power to "Reject".

Sure... you can reject whatever you wish but God will give it anyway. I just pray that poster doesn't have a premature baby.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by great063(m): 6:21pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ok.
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by dridowu: 6:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
I love science
Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by Amozism: 7:00pm On Mar 01, 2013
How e take affect the price of garri for market?

1 Like

Re: Babies Born Three-Months Early Can Recognise Human Speech by YorubaOmoge: 7:01pm On Mar 01, 2013
Amozism: How e take affect the price of garri for market?

E fit reduce am.
Olodo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Android Games And Apps Websites / EXO-SKELETON :With This u Can Beat The hell out of "HULK" or the "DEVIL" himself / Nokia And Blackberry Recently Announced And Released Various Quality Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.