Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others (1044 Views)

Fashola Visits Egbin Power Plant,Says Government Will 'Settle Its Debts'(photos) / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by nameo: 2:54am On Mar 01, 2013
[b]The National Council on Privatisation on Thursday approved the sale of 70 per cent of the Federal Government’s stake in the Egbin Power Plc, Lagos.

The Chairman of the council’s Technical Sub-committee, Mr. Atedo Peterside, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of its meeting presided over by Vice President Namadi Sambo.

Peterside said the plant would be sold to KEPCO for $407.3m.

He recalled that the transaction was conceived in 2007 when the Federal Government initially agreed to sell 51 per cent of the plant.

Peterside said, “What we have done today (Thursday), after negotiations and approval by the NCP, is to agree to sell 70 per cent of the plant to KEPCO, which is a South Korean company.

“KEPCO will pay $407.3m. At the time the transaction was done in 2007, Egbin was valued at $549m and they actually paid a deposit of 10 per cent of the amount based on that valuation.

“Based on that valuation, we have agreed to more or less ratify that previous transaction. But we have done the valuation and increased the transaction cost, and they are paying a larger sum of money. The evaluation that we have done with Egbin at a value of $670m is higher than the original evaluation of $549m.

“In total, they are going to pay $407m to the Federal Government and the evaluation was comparable to the evaluation that was done for Geregu, Sapele and Ugheli Power plants.”

Peterside said the government also resolved to sell the Omotosho and Olorunsogo Power plants to the Chinese companies that built them.

He recalled that the plants were already under construction at the time the government decided to privatise the power sector; therefore, a decision was taken that the construction firms should be given rights of first refusal to buy the plants.

Under this arrangement, he added that the firms would pay the balance of the money the government had already paid them for the construction.[/b]

With this transaction, Peterside said every power plant now had a core investor except for Afam.

The Minister of Communications Technology, Mrs. Omobolanle Johnson, said the NCP approved a reform bill for the Nigeria Postal Service to make it perform better in postal regulation and operating activities, and contribute more to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product.

She said the bill would be sent to the Federal Executive Council for deliberation and transmission to the National Assembly.

The Minister of Mine and Steel Development, Mr. Musa Sada, said the NCP deliberated on the report on the progress being made by the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Muhammed Adoke, on the issue of arbitration that was delaying the privatisation of the Ajaokuta Steel Plant and Aluminium Smelter Company of Nigeria.

Sada said progress was being made in the efforts aimed at reaching an out-of-court settlement.

He said, “We are beginning to see that very soon, we are likely to conclude some of those issues, such that the BPE will take full charge of these two important facilities and ensure they are appropriately privatised, not the way it happened before that is now putting us into these issues.

“This time, it will be in such a way that they will come back to contribute the way that they are expected to as major industrial backbone of the Nigerian economy.”

The Acting Director-General, Bureau of Public Enterprises, Mr. Benjamin Dikki, said the council also considered and recommended five bills in the transport sector for the ratification of the Federal Executive Council and onward transmission to the National Assembly.

Also on Thursday, Amperium Consortium, presented a confirmation of payment of $33m, including local component of N519.12m into the bank account of the BPE.

The payment was the 25 per cent down payment required for the consortium to acquire 51 per cent of the Geregu Power Plant.

The bid winners for the power plants were earlier given 15 days within which to make the down payment.

Amperium Consortium was the first to make the payment

- See more at: http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-sells-70-of-egbin-power-plant-to-kepco/#sthash.FVKJyeAa.dpuf
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by redsun(m): 3:14am On Mar 01, 2013
Hmm! Sell out.

Self imposed economic slavery in an economy that is yet to take off as a result of fundamental foo.lishnesss.

It is like selling chicken chicks when the eggs are yet to hatch.

1 Like

Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by Musiwa17: 4:17am On Mar 01, 2013
can someone please explain to me, how does this improve electricity. It does not improve electricity because they will still be generating the same number of Megawatt. The electricity will still remain the same. there will be no improvement.
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 11:05am On Mar 01, 2013
GREAT..... With solid Private hands in charge of these Power plants, we wud no longa be worried about the recurring problem of breakdown of units of d plants as was usuali the case unda PHCN. Issues of Gas supplies shld also be largely a tin of d past as these Private hands wud enter into binding Gas Purchase Agreements with Gas suppliers, thereby largely ensuring constant Gas supplies. In fact d new Private Owners wud want to optimise their profits by running at full capacity, which means more stable power for Nigerians..... Good moves in d Power sector lately

2 Likes

Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 2:24pm On Mar 01, 2013
Musiwa17: can someone please explain to me, how does this improve electricity. It does not improve electricity because they will still be generating the same number of Megawatt. The electricity will still remain the same. there will be no improvement.
Plz, see my comment above
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by OmoTier1(m): 6:30pm On Mar 01, 2013
taharqa: GREAT..... With solid Private hands in charge of these Power plants, we wud no longa be worried about the recurring problem of breakdown of units of d plants as was usuali the case unda PHCN. Issues of Gas supplies shld also be largely a tin of d past as these Private hands wud enter into binding Gas Purchase Agreements with Gas suppliers, thereby largely ensuring constant Gas supplies. In fact d new Private Owners wud want to optimise their profits by running at full capacity, which means more stable power for Nigerians..... Good moves in d Power sector lately
You are happy to see foreigners buy state owned projects for peanuts? Whilst I am not totally against foreigners investing in this sector, I think it is really bad business for Nigerians. Have we not learnt a lesson from the cheap sale of Ajaokuta steel plant?

1 Like

Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 01, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
You are happy to see foreigners buy state owned projects for peanuts? Whilst I am not totally against foreigners investing in this sector, I think it is really bad business for Nigerians. Have we not learnt a lesson from the cheap sale of Ajaokuta steel plant?

Ajaokuta Steel ‘ready for operation’
January 14, 2013

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/ajaokuta-steel-ready-for-operation/

The Sole Administrator of Ajaokuta Steel Company, Mr. Joseph Isah, an engineer, has said the company is in a good shape and ready for operation if funds are available.

Isah, who spoke at the weekend during an interview with reporters in Ajaokuta, said this followed the recent technical audit of the steel plant by the Ukrainians, the newly-appointed managers of the company.

He noted that over 74 per cent of steel production globally was done through the blast furnace.
Isah said the blast furnace mode of steel production adopted by the company is the best source of steel making in the world, putting to rest the obsolete nature of the technology.

Quoting from the Ukrainian technical audit report, he said: “The condition of the steel plant’s equipment and facilities is satisfactory. Mechanically, the equipment and facilities are in good condition.”

Mr. Isah stressed that with the volume and quality of steel to be produced in the plant, the only way is the blast furnace.
He urged Nigerians to disregard the insinuation that the plant cannot function.

The sole administrator said the plant was intact and debunked a claim by the people he described as ignorant of steel technology who alleged that it had been vandalised.

According to him, the workers are passionate about the plant and have worked hard to secure the equipment.
“I referred to the above because we need to educate Nigerians that the blast furnace technology of steel making adopted in Ajaokuta is still the best method through which large volumes of steel are produced in the world today,” Isah said.

He added that President Goodluck Jonathan was committed to the completion and operation of the plant, hence his directive for the speedy settlement of the arbitration against the company by the Global Infrastructural Holdings Limited (GIHL), an Indian firm.
He said when Ajaokuta Steel Company is fully operational, it wanted generate over 15,000 direct employment in addition to thousands to be employed informally.
Isah listed other benefits of the steel plant to the nation as enhancing technological growth, acquisition of technical expertise, provision of input for infrastructural development and adding value to the natural resources.

He said as part of plans to re-launch the plant’s lime light, management has concluded arrangement to engage the workforce in productive activities, preserve the equipment and generate revenue to reduce dependency on the government.

He said the management has also initiated joint venture agreements to put the completed mills into commercial operations.
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 6:44pm On Mar 01, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
My frnd, SHUT yr mouth. I mean, i dont like you much, yes; but still, am increasingly becoming ASHAMED of the DESPERATION that pushes you to criticize just about ANYTHING, regardless of hw sillly it mks you look. GOSH!!..... Imagine you now talking against Foreign investors when you were one of d persons shouting yrself out, criticizing what you thought was the buying of those DISCOs and GENCOs units by 'local, unprofessional investors', and wondering why known International investors were nt involvd. Now, you hv suddenly become the advocate for local investors?... And how wud any person who read d @OP's article, say d plants were given away 'as peanuts'?? Plants that d new part owners are supposd to pay back to d Govt the money Govt paid them to build the plants in d 1st place....*smh*

5 Likes

Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by OmoTier1(m): 6:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
taharqa: My frnd, SHUT yr mouth. I mean, i dont like you, yes; but still am increasingly becoming ASHAME of the DESPERATION that pushes you to criticize just about ANYTHING, regardless of hw sillly it mks you look. GOSH!!..... Imagine you now talking against Foreign investors when you were one of d persons shouting yrself out, criticizing what you thought was the buying of those DISCOs and GENCOs units by 'local, unprofessional investors', and wondering why known International investors were nt involvd. Now, you hv suddenly become the advocate for local investors?... And how wud any person read d @OP's article and say d plants were given away 'as peanuts'?? Plants that d new part owners are supposd to pay back to d Govt they money Govt paid them to build the plants in d 1st place....*smh*
Go back and read that post again, I made it very clear I am not against foreigners investing, but state owned projects should not be sold cheaply! Please, I know you are intellectually deficient but before you comment do your research properly.

It is only in Nigeria state projects are sold for peanuts! Have you asked yourself what the true worth of that power plant is? If it is this cheap why are we supposedly spending billions of dollars building new ones?

Again, I am not against the sales of state owned project to foreigners, selling them for peanuts is an injustice to Nigerians. I know your type the live of PDP bag of rice may not understand..
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by OmoTier1(m): 6:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Ajaokuta Steel ‘ready for operation’
January 14, 2013

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/ajaokuta-steel-ready-for-operation/

The Sole Administrator of Ajaokuta Steel Company, Mr. Joseph Isah, an engineer, has said the company is in a good shape and ready for operation if funds are available.

Isah, who spoke at the weekend during an interview with reporters in Ajaokuta, said this followed the recent technical audit of the steel plant by the Ukrainians, the newly-appointed managers of the company.

He noted that over 74 per cent of steel production globally was done through the blast furnace.
Isah said the blast furnace mode of steel production adopted by the company is the best source of steel making in the world, putting to rest the obsolete nature of the technology.

Quoting from the Ukrainian technical audit report, he said: “The condition of the steel plant’s equipment and facilities is satisfactory. Mechanically, the equipment and facilities are in good condition.”

Mr. Isah stressed that with the volume and quality of steel to be produced in the plant, the only way is the blast furnace.
He urged Nigerians to disregard the insinuation that the plant cannot function.

The sole administrator said the plant was intact and debunked a claim by the people he described as ignorant of steel technology who alleged that it had been vandalised.

According to him, the workers are passionate about the plant and have worked hard to secure the equipment.
“I referred to the above because we need to educate Nigerians that the blast furnace technology of steel making adopted in Ajaokuta is still the best method through which large volumes of steel are produced in the world today,” Isah said.

He added that President Goodluck Jonathan was committed to the completion and operation of the plant, hence his directive for the speedy settlement of the arbitration against the company by the Global Infrastructural Holdings Limited (GIHL), an Indian firm.
He said when Ajaokuta Steel Company is fully operational, it wanted generate over 15,000 direct employment in addition to thousands to be employed informally.
Isah listed other benefits of the steel plant to the nation as enhancing technological growth, acquisition of technical expertise, provision of input for infrastructural development and adding value to the natural resources.

He said as part of plans to re-launch the plant’s lime light, management has concluded arrangement to engage the workforce in productive activities, preserve the equipment and generate revenue to reduce dependency on the government.

He said the management has also initiated joint venture agreements to put the completed mills into commercial operations.
If, nearly cannot kill a bird! Nigerians want to feel the effect of that factory, cheap steel for construction, etc. how much is the cost of 1/2" tie rod in Nigeria again? Sorry you have not made a point, maybe you need to post prototype pictures here too undecided
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by courage89(m): 7:01pm On Mar 01, 2013
These people built these plants at exhorbitant prices, gave us operating manuals written in their language, operated these plant for years, ...now they're buying these plants for peanuts. I wonder when we're going tolearn as a country.
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by redsun(m): 7:15pm On Mar 01, 2013
It is amazing that nigeria chalk out so many graduates year in year,yet the country can't power its own grids indigenously.

Selling the future of the endangered generation of nigerians to imperial colonizers,just because the present failed generation is too dumb to see beyond their noses

I bet the thieves have already split up the proceeds of the blood transaction by now. A case of Judas selling Jesus for thirty pieces of silver
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by jmaine: 7:59pm On Mar 01, 2013
The thread below should serve as a check for some who forgot about the past

https://www.nairaland.com/1040971/phcn-assets-ibb-abdulsalami-tinubu
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 9:38pm On Mar 01, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Go back and read that post again, I made it very clear I am not against foreigners investing, but state owned projects should not be sold cheaply! Please, I know you are intellectually deficient but before you comment do your research properly.

It is only in Nigeria state projects are sold for peanuts! Have you asked yourself what the true worth of that power plant is? If it is this cheap why are we supposedly spending billions of dollars building new ones?

Again, I am not against the sales of state owned project to foreigners, selling them for peanuts is an injustice to Nigerians. I know your type the live of PDP bag of rice may not understand..
LOL... Where did they sell it as 'Peanuts'?? You just simply PATHETIC. When one sells a product for the prize that it was constructd, how da helll can dat product be said to be sold as 'Peanuts'?? That info was provided in d article you bliv you are criticizing. LAWD!!....I expect you wud do yr best to avoid dis questn, but at least I was hoping to Shame you into answering d questn....

1 Like

Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by OmoTier1(m): 11:41pm On Mar 01, 2013
taharqa: LOL... Where did they sell it as 'Peanuts'?? You just simply PATHETIC. When one sells a product for the prize that it was constructd, how da helll can dat product be said to be sold as 'Peanuts'?? That info was provided in d article you bliv you are criticizing. LAWD!!....I expect you wud do yr best to avoid dis questn, but at least I was hoping to Shame you into answering d questn....
Try to always use your head and not always think sentimental.... undecided. Soon the same people who feed you with bag of rice and N10000 to steal your votes will end up selling everything to their cronies home and broad for peanuts! Ask yourself, can such a plant be sold at price? If yes, why then have we not built several of those with the billions PDP and GEJ FG have spent or looted on power projects?
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 1:34am On Mar 02, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Try to always use your head and not always think sentimental.... undecided. Soon the same people who feed you with bag of rice and N10000 to steal your votes will end up selling everything to their cronies home and broad for peanuts! Ask yourself, can such a plant be sold at price? If yes, why then have we not built several of those with the billions PDP and GEJ FG have spent or looted on power projects?
What da helll is wrong wit dis Dolt? Cud you plz actuali respond to my comment any time you quote...
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by taharqa: 1:42am On Mar 02, 2013
taharqa: LOL... Where did they sell it as 'Peanuts'?? You just simply PATHETIC. When one sells a product for the prize that it was constructd, how da helll can dat product be said to be sold as 'Peanuts'?? That info was provided in d article you bliv you are criticizing. LAWD!!....I expect you wud do yr best to avoid dis questn, but at least I was hoping to Shame you into answering d questn....
Re: Korea Firm Acquires 70% Egbin Power Plant, Chinese Firms Acquires 2 Others by otokx(m): 3:41am On Mar 02, 2013
Nice

(1) (Reply)

We Need A Dedicated Military Section On Nairaland. / ANY Updates On Lagos Projects, Mainly EKO RAIL ?? / Most Nigerian Roads Will Be Motorable By 2015 – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.