Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Can Christians Work On Sundays? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can Christians Work On Sundays? (4707 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for a Christian to work on Sunday?

Yes: 62% (15 votes)
No: 37% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Major Things To Work On Before Graduation / How Much Do You Spend On Transportation To Work On Daily Basis? / Is It More Difficult To Wake Up For Work On Monday Mornings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 3:51pm On May 05, 2006
Working On The Sabbath Day?

People outside Naija always work on Sundays instead of going to Church

My 2 Cent , I want you to contribute to this thread , you already know you ma e-father wink

It is wrong , very very wrong

I do it as well sad

Why do we all choose money over God ?

I hope He forgives us
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by diyobdw(f): 3:58pm On May 05, 2006
what bad in it.SUnday isnt the only day to serve God.
we should, everyday so i dont agree with u. angry
More so that doesnt mean u r choosing between God and money . undecided
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by my2cents(m): 4:06pm On May 05, 2006
bolex,

I am humbled, that at 33, I am referred to as an e-father grin

Having said that, first and foremost, the sabbath is the 7th day, which would make it Saturday. As for working on sunday, I look at it this way: Even if you don't work, you (not personally) become a hypocrite in the sense that if you buy something that day, you are encouraging someone else not to go worship, for instance. I do know pple here though who refuse to work on sunday.

If no one worked on sunday, the world's economy would come to a stand-still for one. In the end, it's all about the $$. Referring to Matthew 12, even though he was referring to the sabbath, we can extrapolate that, I think, to sundays. If you had to pay your rent on monday, yet didn't have enough and your boss offered you some overtime on sunday, wouldn't you go? Growing up in calabar, I remember that if my mom didn't go to the market by saturday night, then we wouldn't have anything to eat on sunday. I believe that is no longer the case in naija. In the end, again, it's all about the pepper.

Now, there are those who genuinely have to work on any given day, especially hourly workers. If you miss even 30 minutes, that could be the difference b/w living in comfort of sleeping on the cold streets of the western world.

So to summarize, ideally, should you work? No. But when condition come make crayfish bend, will you leave, as Jesus said in the bible, your sheep trapped in the pit? I don't think so. Besides, most churches have multiple services and you can always either worship on your own or with others privately, and pray to God to give you the ability to have the time in the future. Bottomline, when you get sucked in by affluenza, you will forget where you came from, if you aren'f firmly rooted in your beliefs.

Is that good enough e-advice? grin
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by gbadex1(m): 4:14pm On May 05, 2006
diyobdw:

what bad in it.SUnday isnt the only day to serve God.
we should, everyday so i don't agree with u. angry
More so that doesnt mean you're choosing between God and money . undecided

sure, everyday we have to Him, but then God set sunday as a day apart for Him and Him alone.
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by my2cents(m): 4:15pm On May 05, 2006
diyobdw,

of course, you can worship God on any other day, but remember, in Acts 20, the christians of old got together on the first day of the week, which for us in this present day and time is Sunday. Therefore, we should set aside the entire day to be with our brethren. Sure, you can worship on your own, but also remember the church is not the building but the pple. You go to church to fellowship. Also, remember Matthew 18:20.

Again, there are those who as a matter of necessity, have to work on a sunday. I am sure God understands. On the other hand, there are those who have no excuse not to worship on Sunday and instead choose to either work or lay idle.

Just my 2 cents, not a flame grin
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by diddy4(m): 4:16pm On May 05, 2006
i dont work on sundays and i aint never gonna work on sundays. i aint a workaholic. it is so wrong. this complete disobidience of the commandment. damn you guys.lol   grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 4:18pm On May 05, 2006
diddy4dt:

i don't work on sundays and i aint never going to work on sundays. i aint a workaholic. it is so wrong. this complete disobidience of the commandment. damn you guys.lol grin grin grin grin grin

for the 1st time

i agree with you

grin

very bad thing to do
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by diyobdw(f): 4:48pm On May 05, 2006
gbade. x:

sure, everyday we have to Him, but then God set sunday as a day apart for Him and Him alone.
IN what context did HE say that?
diddy4dt:

i don't work on sundays and i aint never going to work on sundays. i aint a workaholic. it is so wrong. this complete disobidience of the commandment. damn you guys.lol grin grin grin grin grin
ABeg what if i work thur fri and sunday am i a workaholic.

my2cents:

diyobdw,

of course, you can worship God on any other day, but remember, in Acts 20, the christians of old got together on the first day of the week, which for us in this present day and time is Sunday. Therefore, we should set aside the entire day to be with our brethren. Sure, you can worship on your own, but also remember the church is not the building but the people. You go to church to fellowship. Also, remember Matthew 18:20.

Again, there are those who as a matter of necessity, have to work on a sunday. I am sure God understands. On the other hand, there are those who have no excuse not to worship on Sunday and instead choose to either work or lay idle.

Just my 2 cents, not a flame grin
were the xtian of old facing thiskind of civilisation and demanding way to survive?

i still hold my stand smiley Anyways!!
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 5:44pm On May 05, 2006
shame on ya'll

if you was to work 25hrs a day

you would

just 2 hrs for God

you wanna go to work sad

that is just sad

i hope he forgives you

God , Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by diyobdw(f): 6:03pm On May 05, 2006
2hr is grt but make i no work for sunday when i got to
no way.
Manna fell once in history and not because they went to church instead of working
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 6:32pm On May 05, 2006
ya'll are twisting the truth to satisfy your concience

anywayz ,, all human beings are greedy 7 selfish no matter what

I am as well , I must confess

But lemme tell you

This is the fact, even dayz you don;t have to work on Sundays , you spend your time sleeping or doing other things

It's amazing how people have ignored God for various things like money et al , to mention but a few

Please, guyz , ,,, tell your managers that you can;t work on Sunday

tell your boss you wanna go to church on Sunday

Stop killing God in you

Money is a thing of the world you know

sad lipsrsealed undecided cry embarassed
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by Hotstepper(f): 7:28pm On May 05, 2006
true talk, there are alwayz people to work on sunday cuz of their job if not they will get fired, also if noone is working and u run out of sumthing, wat are you going to do? itz gotta be like this though
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by LordimpaQQ: 7:43pm On May 05, 2006
sunday is not the sabbath day,

who told you pple sunday is the sabbath day?
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 7:56pm On May 05, 2006
well

from othodox , sunday is the day of the Lord

it is supposed to be for God

if you say otherwise

why don;t you go to church on saturday and then work on a sunday

many people don;t have time for God anymore and this is a bad thing

VERY BAD

ya heard
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by lordimpaq(m): 10:32am On May 07, 2006
@bolex

i do go to church on saturdays, and the nature of my work require me to work on either sunday or saturday

i chose sunday, right now i am at work,

the churches that came out of the roman catholic church were bornn with the idea that sabbath was on sunday, meanwhile the true sabbath is saturday, you guys should keep saturday not sunday,

u guys are sinning without knowing it.
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 3:20pm On May 07, 2006
yer , the point is working when u supposed to be in church

i have cut ma sunday shifts

i need to serve God

cool
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by lordimpaq(m): 7:26am On May 09, 2006
yes, u need to serve God

serve God everyday but observe the sabbath, u may not necessarily go to church on that day,

but desist from your normal day to day activities and keep the sabbath, saturday i mean
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by O4real(m): 4:29pm On May 09, 2006
Bolex, who told you that sabbath is sunday? Facts please. . . then have you heard about the anti-christ? its forms. All na levels - even Jesus Christ was found wanting on the sabbath day by the pharisees and saducees. So how much more weak humans!
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 5:25pm On May 09, 2006
O4real:

even Jesus Christ was found wanting on the sabbath

I no follow you hear that 1 o

Make I no go commit sin

cool
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by O4real(m): 5:30pm On May 09, 2006
That one no bi sin. Hope say u de read ya bible sha. E happen when him and his disciples go chop corn 4 field.
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 8:18pm On May 09, 2006
Jesus never sinned

& You there saying He was found wanting

na wa o
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by lordimpaq(m): 9:06am On May 10, 2006
so what u r sayin is that we should not eat on the sabbath,

na wa o,

i no dey o,
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by kimba(m): 2:37pm On May 11, 2006
Sometimes, if I have to(coz of the nature of my job), Yes, I go to work on Sunday. Theres nothing wrong with going to work on Sunday as long as its work, and not because you really didnt want to go to Church.
How about Medical personel. They have to go to work on sundays too.

And especially in Nigeria, if all the bus/taxi drivers went to church, how would the church goers go and to/come back from church?
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by diyobdw(f): 2:39pm On May 11, 2006
wink
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by O4real(m): 10:22am On May 12, 2006
@bolex n lordimpaq
Na u guys know if Jesus sin or not. . . but how can u ppl say such things sef. undecided
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by bolex(m): 3:07pm On May 12, 2006
@ o4real

did I say anything ?

I did not o
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by O4real(m): 3:17pm On May 12, 2006
ask them bolex, ask . . . ask and ye shall be given "d e-sho"
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by lordimpaq(m): 7:43am On May 13, 2006
@o4real

honestly i don't understand your point
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by O4real(m): 5:08pm On May 13, 2006
@lordimpaq
lordimpaq:

@o4real

honestly i don't understand your point
Oh yeah, I wish I knew too cos you were as confusing in your statements as I am. So all points are pointless so far!
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by SirKay3(m): 12:22pm On Aug 13, 2006
It depends on the nature of the job you are doing. Doctors and nurses must be at their posts even on Sundays due to their work schedules.

There was a time that I was running essential shift duties @ work, which made me to be in the office even on Sundays, though not all Sundays, except when on Morning, Afternoon and Night duties. This I did for 10 solid years.

To me there is nothing wrong with it, if it is not for personal reasons, like you are working for overtime
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 13, 2006
bolex
times have changed fromt he time of the bible
God is a spirit and those who worship must worship him in truth and spirit
it is not a physical day readtion for instance u commit various sins during the week and come on sunday and say ur holy no sin on sunday?
if u have to worship God u have to do it form ur heart
most tiespeople go to work on sundays not becos of the money but becos it is essential they do so
am into telelcommunication i go to work most sundays not becos i want to but becos i have to
it sure pisses me off cos i would prefer to spend the time wit my family ut wat do i do? thats the nature of the job.
or lets assume ur wife is preganant and want to give birth with u tell the doctors not to be at work on sunday cos it is sunday or would u want ur wife to die?
Re: Can Christians Work On Sundays? by jupsy(f): 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2006
Am happy a lot of us realise that u dont have to serve God only on sundays. It can be done anyday. Let us not forget that there are people who have to go to work whether they like it or not WHY because they are on essential duty, like doctors, nurses, police e t c.

we cannot say we are more holy than them. Going to church every sunday does not make us good christian more than those who do not. It is d mind and our altitude.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Career Path? / Pmpi Vs Ipmp / Where Do I Study Aviation Telecommunication In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.