Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? (2372 Views)

What Do You Think About A Single Guy Getting A Female House Help? / Will You Adopt A Child With Your Spouse? / How Can I Adopt A Child In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 02, 2013
Is it against the Nigerian law for a single guy who of course isn't married to adopt a baby? If it is legally accepted, pls can u help with the following information:

1. What are the legal requirements to adopt a baby in Nigeria?

2. Where can one find a legally recognised hospital or organization to adopt a baby without being seen as a criminal or baby-robber? If possible, give out contacts

3. Pls share any helpful info to assist a single guy wishing to embark on this project of child adoption, thanks in anticipation of your informative responsessmiley
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by specialguest(f): 6:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
Dailynews! Dailynews! Dailynews! Hmmmmmmnnn are you saying you don't want to get married? Please don't let your mother hear this ooo biko!
Sorry I can't help you on this one but you could check with the orphanages in your place of residence I am sure you will be rightly guided as regards the adoption law in Nigeria. Goodluck
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 03, 2013
Lolzzzz....Special oh plzzz its not meeee plz ooo!!! Its someone that needed the info and asked me to find out for him, said he is tired of Naija ladies wahala of coming for...I tried convincing him against it, but he said I shud just get him the info in case, so I tot here shud be the best place to ask cos we seem to have experts here u know?

Why shud I wish to never marry when there r special people like grin

And plz how did u get to see this? Dnt tell me u frequent this section grin

Meanwhile, how was your val
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 12:31am On Mar 04, 2013
In the first place why does this your friend want to adopt a child as a single man.am sure they will ask him there because taking care of an infant is not beans.it requires total attention,time,money,commitment and so on.then also to me it looks very suspicious because i find it strange for single men to say they want to adopt a child on the pretext that ladies have wahala,i dont really believe that excuse however hope its a boy he is adopting and not a girl,because we all know what some of you men do when eyes are not around you and you are left with a child of 3 or 4 years.then again is the man financially capable of raising the child from infancy to adulthood in terms of education and all and i also hope that if in case he adopts a girl and she grows into puberty,he would not start shinning the innocent girls congo because i still read of a shameless 45 year old man on nairaland that impregnated his 17 year old daughter,so i can now imagine a young girl living under the same roof with a man that is not her biological father.i am not going to pretend that this things dont happen,it is a daily occurence in this part of our world

1 Like

Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 04, 2013
In the first place why does this your friend want to adopt a child as a single man.am sure they will ask him there because taking care of an infant is not beans.it requires total attention,time,money,commitment and so on.then also to me it looks very suspicious because i find it strange for single men to say they want to adopt a child on the pretext that ladies have wahala,i dont really believe that excuse however hope its a boy he is adopting and not a girl,because we all know what some of you men do when eyes are not around you and you are left with a child of 3 or 4 years.then again is the man financially capable of raising the child from infancy to adulthood in terms of education and all and i also hope that if in case he adopts a girl and she grows into puberty,he would not start shinning the innocent girls congo because i still read of a shameless 45 year old man on nairaland that impregnated his 17 year old daughter,so i can now imagine a young girl living under the same roof with a man that is not her biological father.i am not going to pretend that this things dont happen,it is a daily occurence in this part of our world
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Bright2(m): 1:06am On Mar 04, 2013
Tell him that infertility is cureble,he shouldn't just conclude on the inability of fathering a child if that is his hidden reason.
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by specialguest(f): 3:46am On Mar 04, 2013
DailyNews: Lolzzzz....Special oh plzzz its not meeee plz ooo!!! Its someone that needed the info and asked me to find out for him, said he is tired of Naija ladies wahala of coming for...I tried convincing him against it, but he said I shud just get him the info in case, so I tot here shud be the best place to ask cos we seem to have experts here u know?

Why shud I wish to never marry when there r special people like grin

And plz how did u get to see this? Dnt tell me u frequent this section grin

Meanwhile, how was your val

Ok, i thought an extremely cool guy like with a beautiful personality was thinking of going sterile. Thank God its not you, atleast i still have hope ; smiley cheesy.

As for the question how did i see this? I visit most sections as a visitor and log in only when i want to make a contribution/ comment. By the way dont forget i have a special interest in you wink.
Val, Val, Val.... Hmmmn that's a long story. I got gifts but i did not reciprocate any tongue
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 04, 2013
kulyie: In the first place why does this your friend want to adopt a child as a single man.am sure they will ask him there because taking care of an infant is not beans.it requires total attention,time,money,commitment and so on.then also to me it looks very suspicious because i find it strange for single men to say they want to adopt a child on the pretext that ladies have wahala,i dont really believe that excuse however hope its a boy he is adopting and not a girl,because we all know what some of you men do when eyes are not around you and you are left with a child of 3 or 4 years.then again is the man financially capable of raising the child from infancy to adulthood in terms of education and all and i also hope that if in case he adopts a girl and she grows into puberty,he would not start shinning the innocent girls congo because i still read of a shameless 45 year old man on nairaland that impregnated his 17 year old daughter,so i can now imagine a young girl living under the same roof with a man that is not her biological father.i am not going to pretend that this things dont happen,it is a daily occurence in this part of our world
WOW! So much info...thanks kulyie, sound really informative...jeez.

To answer your questions, he wants a boy, I wanted to mention it earlier but intentionally left it out for purposes u all ought to know though...

The guy is definitely financially capable, and he was also asking of how to hire a professional nanny (50yrs upwards according to him) to take care of the babies. He seem to want two, and he even confided in me that he saw one pretty boy he would have loved to adopt if it were possible, but the boy lives with his parents, 4yrs....

I understand your points, they are very valid, we cannot dispute those facts, and that I think was the reason he wanted to make it legal...you can see He isn't looking for any girl to molest, men that do that are often times very poor, wretched and can't afford to win or attract any woman, thats y most resort to molestation, so I don't think the guy in question would dare that when he has so so many ladies as option, just that his is marriage phobia as a result of experience, and he said he is afraid of divorce.
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 04, 2013
Bright2: Tell him that infertility is cureble,he shouldn't just conclude on the inability of fathering a child if that is his hidden reason.
you won't understand dear brother...some men are now so afraid of marriage, or haven't you wondered why some men who are financially okay, healthy, etc not yet married? You think they are ritualists or impotent? Nope...really we have a problem in Nigeria when it comes to this relationship and marriage issues and if possible, it requires a national conference cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 04, 2013
specialguest:

Ok, i thought an extremely cool guy like with a beautiful personality was thinking of going sterile. Thank God its not you, atleast i still have hope ; smiley cheesy.

As for the question how did i see this? I visit most sections as a visitor and log in only when i want to make a contribution/ comment. By the way dont forget i have a special interest in you wink.
Val, Val, Val.... Hmmmn that's a long story. I got gifts but i did not reciprocate any tongue
very far from it...and pls I am not the person in question...if I had known, wouldn't have started this topic, now I am regretting.... angry angry angry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 04, 2013
specialguest:

very scared...can't handle it...
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by specialguest(f): 6:27pm On Mar 04, 2013
Dialynews where have you kept your sense of humour? What i said was on a lighter note but it seems you took it to heart.. Haba why would i be particularly interested on a guy on a faceless forum?. My apologies and Remember to Keep us updated when/ if your friend finally adopts the kids.
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 04, 2013
Me faceless Are you sure SPECIAL!! SPECIAL!! SPECIAL!! Walayi bayi cho! Why have u decided to maltreat and disown me publicly Ayam very ANGRY WITH YOU!
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
specialguest: Dialynews where have you kept your sense of humour? What i said was on a lighter note but it seems you took it to heart.. Haba why would i be particularly interested on a guy on a faceless forum?. My apologies and Remember to Keep us updated when/ if your friend finally adopts the kids.
...and I am not telling you anything again...whether he ends up stealing or robbing one, I won't tell u...and don't talk to me again! I hate you for what u did to me now
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by rccy: 2:10am On Mar 05, 2013
u can get some help here shocked
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2013
DailyNews: WOW! So much info...thanks kulyie, sound really informative...jeez.

To answer your questions, he wants a boy, I wanted to mention it earlier but intentionally left it out for purposes u all ought to know though...

The guy is definitely financially capable, and he was also asking of how to hire a professional nanny (50yrs upwards according to him) to take care of the babies. He seem to want two, and he even confided in me that he saw one pretty boy he would have loved to adopt if it were possible, but the boy lives with his parents, 4yrs....

I understand your points, they are very valid, we cannot dispute those facts, and that I think was the reason he wanted to make it legal...you can see He isn't looking for any girl to molest, men that do that are often times very poor, wretched and can't afford to win or attract any woman, thats y most resort to molestation, so I don't think the guy in question would dare that when he has so so many ladies as option, just that his is marriage phobia as a result of experience, and he said he is afraid of divorce.
issokay,if you say so,but is your friend thinking of long term consequence(s) as per when the boy starts getting into the age of knowing left from right,is he ready to answer the boy's question(s) of who the mother is and where she is.plus you know men are not as easy to raise as women.depending on his character,he can be the aggressive type and God helps that yur friend if the excuse he gives does not go down well with him and brings out knife one day threatning to kill your friend if he doesnt show him his mom.you know yorubas say if the house is sweet its because the bastard there has not grown.dont get me wrong o,am not saying the boy you intend adopting is a bastard,but i'll leave you with that proverb to ruminate on
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
kulyie: issokay,if you say so,but is your friend thinking of long term consequence(s) as per when the boy starts getting into the age of knowing left from right,is he ready to answer the boy's question(s) of who the mother is and where she is.plus you know men are not as easy to raise as women.depending on his character,he can be the aggressive type and God helps that yur friend if the excuse he gives does not go down well with him and brings out knife one day threatning to kill your friend if he doesnt show him his mom.you know yorubas say if the house is sweet its because the bastard there has not grown.dont get me wrong o,am not saying the boy you intend adopting is a bastard,but i'll leave you with that proverb to ruminate on
Now, this is scary to be honest...I can clearly see lots of pot holes here and there...but does it mean a guy can't adopt outside marriage? what of those guys who pay ladies to have baby for them and go? I am wondering how they handled it though...but thanks a lot for the eye-openers...will sure make him see the dangers, though he just seem to love adoption...he loves babies as much as I do smiley smiley....sometimes when I see a pretty baby of say- 3yrs, 4yrs, 6yrs, I feel like staying with them, they are so innocent, cute, lively and I love their stubbornness to an extent....lovely creatures smiley

Thanks Kulyie

@rccy, if you have clue, just drop it here, its not for me, will pass the url of this thread to him to read up....thanks
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2013
Kulyie,

Please do you mind introducing paragraphs to your write up? I very much find it difficult and extremely stressful reading all your comments clustered together that I skip them.

Thanks for your understanding.
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 05, 2013
ferhyntorlah: Kulyie,

Please do you mind introducing paragraphs to your write up? I very much find it difficult and extremely stressful reading all your comments clustered together that I skip them.

Thanks for your understanding.
alright,thanks and noted.i will do something about it but i dont know how to paragraph when using my nokia phone to type except when am using a laptop that i can just press the enter key,then again thanks for being polite.its very rare to find this virtue among nairalanders cheesy
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
DailyNews: Now, this is scary to be honest...I can clearly see lots of pot holes here and there...but does it mean a guy can't adopt outside marriage? what of those guys who pay ladies to have baby for them and go? I am wondering how they handled it though...but thanks a lot for the eye-openers...will sure make him see the dangers, though he just seem to love adoption...he loves babies as much as I do smiley smiley....sometimes when I see a pretty baby of say- 3yrs, 4yrs, 6yrs, I feel like staying with them, they are so innocent, cute, lively and I love their stubbornness to an extent....lovely creatures smiley

Thanks Kulyie

@rccy, if you have clue, just drop it here, its not for me, will pass the url of this thread to him to read up....thanks
well its not just about loving and admiring kids.you have to also think of the long term outcomes or consequences of your action.if you think you have answers to all the questions i posed there for you and you can handle all the dramas that comes with answering the boy and still makimg him feel loved and accepted even after he has known the truth,all well and good.parenthood is far more than just what you think it is.then are you sure you are capable of raising the boy in such a way that he will still love and honour you and treat you like his biological father after he has known the truth,hope you can handlethe relationship.plus you know when men know this man is not their biological father,they tend to misbehave,you cant even correct them,they will remind you that you are not their father.dont get me wrong o!am not discouraging adoption,but think well and pray about it,(your friend i mean)
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 06, 2013
kulyie: well its not just about loving and admiring kids.you have to also think of the long term outcomes or consequences of your action.if you think you have answers to all the questions i posed there for you and you can handle all the dramas that comes with answering the boy and still makimg him feel loved and accepted even after he has known the truth,all well and good.parenthood is far more than just what you think it is.then are you sure you are capable of raising the boy in such a way that he will still love and honour you and treat you like his biological father after he has known the truth,hope you can handlethe relationship.plus you know when men know this man is not their biological father,they tend to misbehave,you cant even correct them,they will remind you that you are not their father.dont get me wrong o!am not discouraging adoption,but think well and pray about it,(your friend i mean)
wow! Kulye, u must be a counsellor, are u U are good, now I see...I have learnt a lot from you on this, classic, now I can even counsel others that do wish to embark on this, thanks a million folds. I knew nairaland would definitely assist, thanks.

@specialguest I hope I succeeded in making u upset Its a backlash for calling me facelessgrin now I want u to denounce that statement cos it isn't fair. And I was only pulling ur legs ok
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
DailyNews: wow! Kulye, u must be a counsellor, are u U are good, now I see...I have learnt a lot from you on this, classic, now I can even counsel others that do wish to embark on this, thanks a million folds. I knew nairaland would definitely assist, thanks.

@specialguest I hope I succeeded in making u upset Its a backlash for calling me facelessgrin now I want u to denounce that statement cos it isn't fair. And I was only pulling ur legs ok
you are welcome daily news and no i am not a counsellor.lol cheesy
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 07, 2013
kulyie: you are welcome daily news and no i am not a counsellor.lol cheesy
ok smiley
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
kulyie: alright,thanks and noted.i will do something about it but i dont know how to paragraph when using my nokia phone to type except when am using a laptop that i can just press the enter key,then again thanks for being polite.its very rare to find this virtue among nairalanders cheesy

It's welcome dear. I've used a Nokia phone too; it's not that hard, just press the Enter button twice. See, very easy cheesy
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

It's welcome dear. I've used a Nokia phone too; it's not that hard, just press the Enter button twice. See, very easy cheesy
o,k,thanks,let me test it now cheesy
thank you feyintola cheesy
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
kulyie: o,k,thanks,let me test it now cheesy thank you feyintola cheesy

Anytime Kulyie.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by mygirrl: 10:45pm On Mar 08, 2013
DailyNews: you won't understand dear brother...some men are now so afraid of marriage, or haven't you wondered why some men who are financially okay, healthy, etc not yet married? You think they are ritualists or impotent? Nope...really we have a problem in Nigeria when it comes to this relationship and marriage issues and if possible, it requires a national conference cheesy cheesy

weirdo
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 7:21am On Mar 09, 2013
mygirrl:

weirdo
Goodmorningsmiley
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by temmytujay: 10:41am On Mar 09, 2013
THIS GUY HAS OVERSEEN AMERICAN MOVIES....
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by seyibrown(f): 11:48am On Mar 09, 2013
DailyNews: Is it against the Nigerian law for a single guy who of course isn't married to adopt a baby? If it is legally accepted, pls can u help with the following information:

1. What are the legal requirements to adopt a baby in Nigeria?

2. Where can one find a legally recognised hospital or organization to adopt a baby without being seen as a criminal or baby-robber? If possible, give out contacts

3. Pls share any helpful info to assist a single guy wishing to embark on this project of child adoption, thanks in anticipation of your informative responsessmiley

I remember looking up the rules sometime ago. Pointers below:

As a single person, you must be at least 21 years older than the child you want to adopt; and you can't adopt a child of the opposite sex. You'll have to google to find the rest.
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by chikeorji123(m): 3:16pm On Mar 26, 2013
l see nothing wrong adopting a child by a single guy..though it's have a lot of unseen chalenges lie ahead..
Re: Is It Legally Acceptable In Nigeria For A Single Guy To Adopt A Baby? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
chikeorji123: l see nothing wrong adopting a child by a single guy..though it's have a lot of unseen chalenges lie ahead..
yeah, its really challenging raising a child alone as a single guy...

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Family Issues! / 24 Facts You Never Knew About Divorce / Happy Birthday Daddy & Mummy Olukoya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.