Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct (839 Views)

Cardinal Onaiyekan Disowns Recent Interview Against President Buhari / Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina Named New Pope, Pope Francis! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by juventino: 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2013
Cardinal Keith O'Brien has admitted that his sexual conduct has at times "fallen beneath the standards expected of me".
In a statement, he apologised and asked forgiveness from those he had "offended".

He also apologised to the Catholic Church, and to the people of Scotland.

The cardinal resigned last week after three priests and a former priest made allegations of improper behaviour against him.

The statement issued through the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland read: "In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.

"However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.

"To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness. To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.

"I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland."

Cardinal O'Brien was Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric when he resigned last Monday as the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

At the time, he said he would not take part in the election for a successor to Pope Benedict.

The cardinal had been due to retire later this month when he turned 75.

The former priest and three current priests from the diocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh complained to the Pope's representative to Britain, Archbishop Antonio Mennini, in early February about what they alleged had been inappropriate behaviour towards them in the 1980s.

The ex-priest told the Observer he was disappointed by the "cold disapproval" he faced for "daring to break ranks".

He also claimed to have only gone public because he feared the matter was in danger of being swept under the carpet by the church.

< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475 >
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by nedu2000(m): 7:37pm On Mar 03, 2013
He should'nt 'ave gone public,his misconduct could be of detriment to the church......this isn't politics or social circles,religion has different stances
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by ijawkid(m): 8:26pm On Mar 03, 2013
Go home and sin no more...cheesy
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by Ubenedictus(m): 3:12am On Mar 04, 2013
ijawkid: Go home and sin no more...cheesy
hehehehe, really funny, i believe he heard those words just before releasing d said statement.
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by seyibrown(f): 10:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
nedu2000: He should'nt 'ave gone public,his misconduct could be of detriment to the church......this isn't politics or social circles,religion has different stances

He is one of the very few people(in this situation) who have a conscience! Those who hide behind lawyers and lies have no conscience! The matter is a matter of public interest. If we say he should not have gone public, are we then saying all matters of sekzual misconduct by those public figures should on be heard in private? How is that justice for victims of sekzual misconduct who these private sins have ruined their whole life?
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by nedu2000(m): 7:27am On Mar 05, 2013
seyibrown:

He is one of the very few people(in this situation) who have a conscience! Those who hide behind lawyers and lies have no conscience! The matter is a matter of public interest. If we say he should not have gone public, are we then saying all matters of sekzual misconduct by those public figures should on be heard in private? How is that justice for victims of sekzual misconduct who these private sins have ruined their whole life?
he should pray 4 forgiveness 4rm God & his victims,can't U̶̲̥̅̊ see that its his ''confession" publicly that will bring d church to disrepute?christianity is religion that believes so much on evangelism and his utterances could put away potential souls
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by seyibrown(f): 11:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
nedu2000: he should pray 4 forgiveness 4rm God & his victims,can't U̶̲̥̅̊ see that its his ''confession" publicly that will bring d church to disrepute?christianity is religion that believes so much on evangelism and his utterances could put away potential souls

The reputation of 'the church' is not more important than the healing of the souls it used, abused and betrayed their trust. 'The Church' of Christ cannot be taken down by anybody. The church that fears being taken down for confession of its members sins is not of God! God wants sinners to repent! A saved sinner is not ashamed to declare that he was once lost! This church covered up loads and loads of pdofiles + ra*pi-st*s just to keep its reputation? Who is this church fooling? God or Man? This church needs to show 'potential souls' that it will not condone the sekzual abuse of it current church members, and that it will ex-communicate and deliver offenders to the law courts to be punished.

Enough of rap*i*n-g the sheep in the name of Christ! Enough! Enough! angry angry I say 'down with church reputation' in the favour of consolation, healing and justice to the victims! Salvation is not corporate; it is individual! Christ gave them enough time to repent of their secret sins; they did not. Instead they continued in it, covered it up, denied justice to the victims. Christ himself has exposed them.

Every abuser of the children of God hiding behind government office, culture and custom, religion, Christ and the name of God will be exposed in Jesus Name!
Re: Cardinal Apologises For Sexual Conduct by Ubenedictus(m): 5:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
seyibrown:

The reputation of 'the church' is not more important than the healing of the souls it used, abused and betrayed their trust. 'The Church' of Christ cannot be taken down by anybody. The church that fears being taken down for confession of its members sins is not of God! God wants sinners to repent! A saved sinner is not ashamed to declare that he was once lost! This church covered up loads and loads of pdofiles + ra*pi-st*s just to keep its reputation? Who is this church fooling? God or Man? This church needs to show 'potential souls' that it will not condone the sekzual abuse of it current church members, and that it will ex-communicate and deliver offenders to the law courts to be punished.

Enough of rap*i*n-g the sheep in the name of Christ! Enough! Enough! angry angry I say 'down with church reputation' in the favour of consolation, healing and justice to the victims! Salvation is not corporate; it is individual! Christ gave them enough time to repent of their secret sins; they did not. Instead they continued in it, covered it up, denied justice to the victims. Christ himself has exposed them.

Every abuser of the children of God hiding behind government office, culture and custom, religion, Christ and the name of God will be exposed in Jesus Name!

righteous justice!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Islam Uses The Crusaders To Gain Fake Sympathy / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Tuesday 2nd April No Vacuum By Pastor E. A. Adeboye / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Monday 22nd April Sudden Rise By Pastor E. A. Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.